• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think did work with BW?

danh19

Reaction score
I not a massive fan of the series but their was some things that were handled well of a least had a lot of potential

the character's

as a character I felt that iris had some real potential if handled better she generally had a interesting personality and her focus episodes were great at showing how three dimensional she could be

Cilan they could have done far more in terms of development but they did do a good job of making him different from brock and I found he didn't fade into the back ground as much as brock sadly was at times

team rocket trio it was a good idea to have them appear less often and make them some what more serious with out going to far like they did

battle tournament's

it's a good way to show ash and his rivals interacting in battle

• I liked most of the rival characters.
  • Most of Da! episodes were entertaining.
  • Dent used to be funny.
  • Late-BW Iris episodes were good.
  • Team Plasma finale was okay.
  • Return of Hikari, Lizardon, etc.
  • Comedy heavy episodes.
  • Some parts of writing was so bad, it was actually hilarious in an unintentional way.

Last edited:
Krookodile, Charizard, and Dragonite once he started listening.

More will come to me, I swear.

-The filler episodes were usually refreshing and entertaining, and TR's lack of involvement sometimes helped.

-The companions have rivals! And they battled at least once. This has to come back some day (not in SM's current state, through).

-Tied with the above, some extra effort was put in the characterization of Iris and Cilan and the contrast they made with each other. Their characteristics weren't built up by their gags, but rather by the enviroments they represent.

-While the Club Battles didn't have the best pace or battles on earth, we got to see some unexpected interactions between rivals. XY really needed one of those.

-The Meowth travels with the group arc. An interesting way of making a contrast between the old and new Team Rocket.

-The Episode N arc. The way it was planned was quite creative too.

-I liked the continuity spam at the end.

-This is the last series with training episodes to date....

I liked Cilan. While he became more comedy relief over the course of the series and they clearly stopped caring about his goal after awhile, I thought he was fun and I liked his friendship with Ash.

Most of the filler episodes were actually pretty decent/entertaining. Even the Declore Island filler episodes were pretty nice. They usually lacked some of the more frustrating elements that BW had for me, like Ash's lack of skills and everything about Iris, so that probably helped.

The second Club Battle tournament was actually pretty good all things considered. I still had issues with it, but out of the all of the three mini tournament arcs, it was the most well put together one with some good battles and the character who won actually deserved it.

I remember that the seventh Gym battle was the strongest out of the Unova Gyms. Ash had some good strategies and it didn't come down to some cheap last minute evolution. It was the closest to a DP level Gym battle as BW ever got for me and that was appreciated.

Not including Team Rocket in every episode was nice. I never had a problem with including them before, but I think it was one of the few concepts that BW executed pretty well. It helped that they were seriously boring during this series, but I think it was a good way for the writers to try having more conflicts that didn't center around Team Rocket or didn't have figure out a way to include them in the episode's plot.

Meowth traveling with Ash and his friends was a neat idea. I don't think it factored into more conflict with them later on as I would have liked it to, particularly with Pikachu given how enraged it was when Meowth went back, but it was a refreshing idea and helped to give Meowth some of his personality back. It might have been another reason why Meowth seemed like he was in character the most out of the trio during the series.

While I have issues with Episode N, I did like seeing N in the anime and knowing that he didn't suffer the same way that Bianca did characterization wise made me happy.

Despite Charizard not doing anything afterwards, I did enjoy its return episode. It was a glorified nostalgia train ride, but it was a fun one. Plus, I remember how sad I was when I first saw Charizard's departure and knowing that it would eventually go back to Ash would still have made my younger self happy, even with it just being at Professor Oak's place.

Fun, lively rivals
Ash-tachii getting several honorary members
Operation Tempest
Most of Episode N
Starting the trend of giving Joys & Jennies a different look a region (makes me wish they'd down that all along)
Well handled Gym Leaders
Cilan may've annoyed me, but he WAS one the more useful male companions (THE Most?)
Interesting and even likable COTDS who kinda deserved another appearance or two
Iris' storyline was botched, but she DID have a lot of depth. In fact, I think she had more flashbacks than another companion.:unsure:
The TRio walking the middle ground from Episode N on, which carried over into XY and SM, and not appearing episodes that had no place in (though they're back to that now)

Last edited:
Cilan was more useful and less annoying than DP-Era Brock.
Team Rocket were not useless and annoying, despite becoming a tad robotic at times.
TPCi's dub was at its most bearable during the first Season of BW (though that is honestly not saying much considering its glaringly obvious issues).

I did like Cilan and Iris are traveling partners/characters. They were terribly handled at certain points (especially the ending of the series...yikes) but overall I did enjoy them for the most part.

There were some legitimately funny episodes in BW. The Beheeyem episode where Ash and Team Rocket are "too stupid" to be hypnotized is probably one of my favorite fillers of all time. I felt that the overall tone of BW was pretty light and the characters/situations were allowed to be a little out there, which at least for me is pretty entertaining.

I'd say my favorite part of BW was the continuity. Between Dawn, Looker, Cynthia, Charizard, beautifully re-drawn flashbacks from Kanto, the Butterfree episode...even the very first episode that mimicked Ash's first appearance in the first episode, and the return of him turning his hat backwards from time-to-time. Those were all really nice things to have. I personally love it when the series acknowledges its past and makes connections to where it is now. That is one thing that BW was very good at.

The fast pacing in the 1st seasons to get all of Ash's badges, a lot of rivals even though they lack development other than Trip to an extent, Cilan I found pretty enjoyable and his bros, and the references towards continuity from past series.

that's what I found weird their were quite a few references to the past which was great but they regressed ash's character and botched the rocket trio up

The chemistry between secondary characters was really entertaining and nice to see.
Another good thing is that, after the Charizard episode, they weren't afraid to reference to past events at all.

Also, I did like seeing Team Rocket doing their own undercover stuff during the Meteonite arc. They kept their joyful personalities in the dub I watch, and it really, really worked. Seriously, those actors are my heroes. Not to mention, their last non-stock mottos were a beauty for the eyes.

I would have to say that snivy Is favourite Pokémon of a main character's in bw

Some things worked very well, even if badly explored or way too rushed:

-Satoshi getting more than 6 Pokemon (didn't happen since Kanto)
-Sakaki having a bigger role and gaining trust on Trio (always thought they deserved some, and in DP it was sad they were not even remembered by the boss)
-A female rival (although I'd prefer a serious one, not a dumb blond stereotype)
-The redesigns were great and refreshing
-Trio not appearing in every single episode (I like them, but in most gym battle eps they're useless to the main plot)

I liked Cilan, Bianca, Georgia, and Stephan. I also liked how they put the villain arc into a compact season in Episode N. Much better than spreading it out over 200+ episodes, and forgetting about earlier villain-related episodes by the time the villain boss meets his downfall. I enjoyed N and Colress on screen because N was how he was in the games and Colress received more character as a mad scientist.

I have to say I found the episode n arc to be one of the better parts of BW I think the English voice of n and the others was some of the better voices for a while

Getting rid of Brock. Cilan was an awesome character :)

Krookodile is one of my favorites out of BW.

The Meloetta arc and Episode N were relatively good.

I liked the fact that there were few fillers and the fillers we did get were fun. I also liked that Team Rocket was not in every episode (up until the Decalore Islands, which really brought it down). The Club Battles were also good tournaments to test Ash and his companions. They could have been used better, such as making Ash realize his own flaws as a Trainer, as well the fact that his biggest weakness is not using his absolute best team, and call in more reserves for the League, but they were entertaining.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom