• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think did work with BW?

I actually really enjoyed Black and White. I think Ash's rotation of his on-hand team Pokemon could have been handled better. Overall I thought that the series went okay, up until the 7th or 8th gym when the series tried mimicking B2W2 more than BW.

I would have preferred better story writing, traveling companions that weren't so.... not going there, and a proper rivalry with N and Cheren as opposed to Trip.

I give the BW series a lot of crap but there were one or two good stuff hiding beneath the rubbish. Cilan was a pretty likable character and if I had to be honest I only cared for him during the series, his dub voice was brilliant, fitted him perfectly. Krookodile was probably Ash's best Pokémon and he certainly did pretty darn good. I actually liked Stephan and thought he was a decent rival for Ash. The Meoletta arc was just brilliant all round and they did alright on Episode N though the conclusion felt half arsed.

I think the fact that Ash finally broke the "6 Pokemon only mold" (he captured 9 Pokemon in total in Unova) was very encouraging in BW. Also it marked the first time he ever caught a dark type (Krookodile). Some of his other acquisitions, the likes of Palpitoad, Boldore were equally impressive as well, while others like Oshawott were completely pathetic. In my humble opinion, Best Wishes overall was largely underwhelming and a step backward for Ketchum, from the heights he'd reached in Sinnoh.

Funny story: I stopped watching the Pokémon anime mid-Galactic Battles as a kid. Since then, my experience with the anime is mainly listening to the Japanese openings and watching the odd episode on the official website. So what good do I have to say about BW?

1) Best Wishes! The song. All of the Japanese openings, actually, but especially the first one.
2) Look! It's that guy who was on screen for five seconds!
Porygon2_M15.png
PorygonZ_anime.png

I loved how they limited team rocket's appearance so they would no longer ruin key moments like gym battles just a shame the writers ruined them for the most part and the idea of making team rocket more serious felt needed after DP but sadly they went to far with it

give ash extra pokemon in bw isn't a bad idea but they seemed to go for quantity over quality if you tried to describe some of his pokemon's personality's you would struggle

Ash getting a powerful Krokodile, the only worthy addition to his overall team. Oh, and Charizard travelling with Ash again.

The new Rocket motto music was nice for the five episodes they used it in. And I liked the idea of going back to the original motto (as none of the follow-up ones have ever done it for me tbh) but of course by the time they did it was in stock footage hell. As Gabo2oo pointed out earlier the few mottos we got in the first year or so of the series actually looked pretty good too.

Argue with me if you want but I actually liked Iris and Dent as companions. They weren't perfect obviously but they were solid. The DP group was kind of on the boring side and the two groups that have followed Best Wishes have been super boring so I can definitely appreciate when the writers tried having interesting interactions among the group.

I was glad they finally ditched Takeshi for good and I liked the idea of the Rocket trio not being stuffed into every episode good in theory. I also liked the meteorite plot and a more threatening Rocket trio in theory. I can admire the writers for trying something so new with these characters after 13 years, but also having the sense to return them to form (mostly) after it didn't work out. Plus the "Nyagotiator" plot was probably one of the coolest things this franchise has ever done, even if it ended in a super anticlimactic way.

I was glad they finally redesigned the Joy and Junsar, even though I didn't like Junsar's design-- though the Joy's design in this region is my personal favorite.

Mite mite kotchi-tchi, kotchi mite hoshi-i
Mitete kuretara dokidoki... happy!

The one pop idol ending that I'll tolerate.

I actually wish charizard wasn't brought back they made him weaker as a character for one the moves it had learnt were downgrades to me and they didn't do much to show of it's character outside of the flashback episode

Even though I like him much, I supported getting rid of Brick. He was becoming stale, so we needed a breath of fresh air and he needed to do something else (I also think Ash and the TRio should have been replaced too).
Unfortunately, while at first I liked Cilan, he becaming boring later. He was too perfect and all-knowing.

They dropped some of the gags that had become beyond repetitive at that point like boss fantasies and Kojiro's pokemon assaulting him.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom