• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played 3, 4, 5, and 13. 5 takes best so far. I loved the music and gameplay and Faris was my favorite character.

Last edited:
My favorite FF game has always been and will always be IX. I love all of the characters, and the story is excellent. Also literature and theatre are kinda my things, so anything that's Shakespearian is right up my alley. This game is just fan-freaking-tastic.

I've mostly played the hand held ports, but I really liked IV.

I recently replayed XII, and it is glorious.
XIII is still decent and a fun play
XI I need to renew my subscription for, but it was fun to play when I had one.
VIII is still my favorite but can't go wrong with VI and VII as they are the classics.

Now I've played through the first 4 games and I started 5, so I have some new opinions:
  • I liked 4 a lot because of the story, but I also liked 3 because you get to pick your jobs.
  • I'm not very far in 5 yet but I love it so far and it might end up being my favorite. I think the job system is better than 3's and I love its sense of humor.
  • I've heard 2 is one of the worst games, but I didn't think it was bad. I liked being able to level up my magic and stuff.
  • 6 is good so far, but I still haven't beaten it yet. I'll finish it after I finish 5.

Number 1 favorite of the entire series (counting spin-offs, sequels, etc.) is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA. It was my first Final Fantasy and I fell in love with it immediately. I still do at least an annual playthrough of it and have a blast every time trying out different ability combos. The story I really enjoy as well, I think both it and the protagonist Marche are severely underrated.

Favorite main series game is Final Fantasy X. Best battle system, best story by far, best overall cast, best antagonist (I love Seymour), wonderful soundtrack... Just a fantastic game.

Honorable mentions go to IV, IX, X-2, XIII-2, Crystal Chronicles (the Gamecube one), and World of Final Fantasy. Though there aren't really any Final Fantasy games in the main, non-MMO series that I don't at least like a little bit (...okay, maybe not II lol). Wish I could try XIV and XI though.

XII is great, can't wait for the remaster in July.

Tactics is one of my favourite games ever, the annoying Wiegraf/Velius fight aside. I absolutely adore the game and played the crap out of it.

I have yet to actually play any FF games. I started FF VII because of all the hype about how it's "T3H BEST GAME EVAR," got up to maybe the first reactor or whatever, and then mum came in cranky about who knows what and unplugged my PSX (I hadn't saved yet). This was a million years ago sure, but I couldn't bring myself to start over ww. It wasn't bad though but that's not very far into the game so... I don't count that as "having played FF VII."

A few years ago I gave FF X a go after a friend recommended it to me. Oh my gods I cannot STAND Tidus. His world gets eaten by like a giant ball of slime or something? And he gets thrown into the past I guess? And then gets thrown into yet another timeline? All of this and all of his friends and family are probably dead cause of the aforementioned maybe-slime but he's totally cool with it cause this new place has SOCCER or whatever it's called in the game. "It's totally cool man, I mean, my world may have been destroyed but I'm good at kicking a ball around so these guys are praising me and adoration is literally all I live for." Tidus is such a self-centered douchebag and after entering the temple and bringing Yuna out I really couldn't stand him any longer and gave up on the game. Again, that's not very far into the game so I don't count that as "having played FF X."

I do love Squeenix games like Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger, and on a more related note Kingdom Hearts is one of my favourite games, so I don't have anything against Square Enix or FF. Like I said, I didn't have anything against FF VII so I'll probably pick it back up again someday. I mean shit, I think I have all of the FF games from I - X so obviously I don't have anything against them. :p Except X-2. I haven't played it at all but I have heard about it and hey, if I wanted to play Pretty Princess Barbie Dressup I would, I don't know, buy a bloody Barbie game, not an FF game.

It's still a bit recent since I've played it, so I might be a bit bias, but I really, really enjoyed XV, even with its large number of problems/issues.

*slams fist on table*

XIII, Fite me

*Sides out*

I'm pretty found of IX, IV, and XIV(although it is hard to compare XIV/XI to the others just by their nature.) The XIII games will be my faves, with XIII/-2 being on equal ground and LR behind that. (not just because I suck at perfect guarding) I think I'd like X/-2 but I haven really played it. I have a bit of an aversion to VII just because of how crazy and worshipy some of the fans are. VI is getting to that point too. I don't think they're bad games I've just got hype aversion to them.

I don't think they're bad games I've just got hype aversion to them.
To be honest, I have that habit with a lot of games, too - refusing to play certain games out of spite for those who love and won't shut up about them. Mystery Dungeon is one such series.

To answer the thread's question... Well, unfortunately, I've never played a proper Final Fantasy title. The closest I've come is actually Bravely Default, which is heavily inspired by Final Fantasy V among other titles in the franchise - being a return to classic JRPG gameplay, featuring a lot of staples of the franchise (including some of its weapons, and a Job system with many, many jobs to master which are all derived from classic Jobs of the past), and even a tale of the crystals like the majority of Final Fantasy titles prior to FFX.

As it stands, I'm likely to play FFV first if I ever delve into the Final Fantasy series proper.

The Final Fantasy games I have fond memories of are Final Fantasy 5 and 9.

FF5 is very much a gameplay-focused Final Fantasy adventure, and the Job System is one of the best aspects of the game. It also have a very competent English translation for the GBA, which I adore because it mixes silliness with a rich vocabulary.

FF9 is the second one for me personally, because of the characters and the atmosphere in that game. The gameplay is on the simple side, but it has two other things going for it: the completion that feels rewarding and the music. What I mean by the former is that you can complete the game in a variety of ways, including the "Excalibur II Perfect Game", which basically challenges the player to not only get the Excalibur II in time, but also collect every miss-able item in the game.

Tactics and Tactics A2 are my favourite spinoffs, due to their Job system and the fact that those games give you a degree of freedom of how the party can be organised. If you could count those, I adore the Bravely series, and hopefully a 3rd game is under way.

Thanks for reading.

I've only played X, X-2, and VIII, so I can't really pick a favourite to be honest. But X-2 actually felt awesome in a way unlike X and VIII, in that when you finished X and moved onto the sequel, your happy ending that you tried to achieve in the prequel actually came true in X-2, especially when people are no longer living under the shadow of Sin, and when the Spira community and its culture is actually thriving. If X-2 was on it's own, then it probably would have ended more as "way too saccharine and silly" for Final Fantasy, but here, the light-heartedness actually is a justified crowning moment of awesome.

My favorite is probably IV. It had a great story and length. It was also a fun challenge sometimes, without being too hard or too easy. Not too heavy on grinding.

Though, the only main series games I've played are: I, IV, VII, X, and XV.

My least favorite is X. I just could not get into it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom