• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What keeps you interested in Pokémon?

Crimson Dagger

Bring Ruin
Reaction score
Seeing that I'm teetering on the brink of retiring from Pokémon altogether, (with Sun & Moon not helping at all) I'm very curious; What about Pokémon that keeps you playing the games, watching the animé, reading the manga, &/or whatever else suits your fancy?

There are a number of things. Firstly, it's more-or-less the only video game series that I like. I've dabbled in some other series that were okay, but throughout my life, it has never felt right to call myself a "video game player" or to say that video games were a hobby of mine, because Pokémon was the only video game series that I ever got really into. Something about how it handles as a game just works perfectly for me, but I can't quite find the words to explain the logistics of that feeling.

Second, I just love seeing what new Pokémon they come up with. Gen 6 was a particularly strong showing design-wise, and may very well be my overall favorite wave of new Pokémon, and Gen 7 was pretty great too. I'm also very fond of Gen 5's, obviously, so they've been on a roll with the designs for a good while now. (Gen 4 was a slump for me, and I personally think it's the weakest lot they've put out. Not that the designs in Gen 4 are terrible or anything; there are obviously some in there that I do like, but for the most part they just aren't quite to my tastes.)

Thirdly, the worldbuilding. Now I know, I know, Pokémon isn't a story game and all that, and I agree. But in a weird way, that makes it better for me. They're not putting tons of effort and focus on the stories, which means that a lot is left up to the imagination. You know, they give us myths, and random details about everyday life, and TV shows and radio programs and books on shelves, and it's all just a bunch of little stuff - rarely does any of that take up a major focus. But that's exactly the kind of thing that I love most, because it gives us some loose details, and then lets us make up our own minds about it. And because of that, my idea of how the Pokémon world works may be entirely different from somebody else's, and I think that's pretty cool. Just the fact that I have so much leeway and flexibility in forming my own interpretation of the world is really fun. So with every new game, I get to go around and search for as many of these little details as I can, and that's a load of new information that I get to fit into my existing theoretical structure.

And lastly, I've just devoted so much brainspace to it that it would feel like a waste to not keep using it. :p

Well, I didn't like Sun, but other than that the games have kept me entertained in that low-commitment way I want out of a video game. I suppose it's fanfiction that occupies the majority of my Pokémon-related interest these days

Honestly, for me it would be the community, or rather sub-community I'm in. I have a group of friends where we like to create stories and characters together related to Pokemon, and that's been the single thing that's kept my interest going so consistently. The games help, yeah, but I stop playing those after beating them, so they don't hold my attention quite as long.

Pokémon is a constant in my life now. I... kind of rely on it. Even though I haven't been so into Sun, I've still played over 130 hours, soooo... Yeah. But I have multiples of the Gen 3 and 5 games, because those ones.... I just LOVE them!! Also the Mystery Dungeon series. I love being immersed in a Pokémon game. I can't quite put my thoughts on this into a decent format, but yeah. My appreciation for Pokémon is overwhelming. Though ironically I don't like GO...

What I think I should say is... I'll always be interested in Pokémon, because Pokémon in general... bring(s) me joy. Even if there were no further games, I'd constantly be playing what has already been. Just like with White 2... 6 years later, I'm still developing that same Join Avenue and capitalising on rare items every day... Festival Plaza is such a cop-out when I compare it.

There are too many things to mention. I'll never tire of it. Pokémon forever.

A lot of things. The community, for one thing, because it's always nice to have a place where people share the same interest and post ideas/opinions/discussions etc. I consider the pokemon community to be one of the best and nicest (and highly enjoyable). I've seen much worse - even toxic - communities where everyone hates on each other and bully players for being new or for not excelling during a campaign/raid mission because of whatever reason. Plus the deliberate trolls.

There are also occasional events to look forward to, both official and fan-based. Official events, because they often host rare distributions and sell collectibles. Fan events, because there are fan-made comics/story books and products dedicated to specific characters. Since there are hardly any official Steven Stone merchandises, I get my satisfaction from fan events :D

Thirdly, the worldbuilding. Now I know, I know, Pokémon isn't a story game and all that, and I agree. But in a weird way, that makes it better for me. They're not putting tons of effort and focus on the stories, which means that a lot is left up to the imagination. You know, they give us myths, and random details about everyday life, and TV shows and radio programs and books on shelves, and it's all just a bunch of little stuff - rarely does any of that take up a major focus. But that's exactly the kind of thing that I love most, because it gives us some loose details, and then lets us make up our own minds about it. And because of that, my idea of how the Pokémon world works may be entirely different from somebody else's, and I think that's pretty cool. Just the fact that I have so much leeway and flexibility in forming my own interpretation of the world is really fun. So with every new game, I get to go around and search for as many of these little details as I can, and that's a load of new information that I get to fit into my existing theoretical structure.

It's always cool to learn some aspects of pokemon that actually have a really deep story to tell. The little details, giveaway lines, all the theories... it's fun to see different interpretations coming together to form this huge discussion based on real life facts.

And lastly, I've just devoted so much brainspace to it that it would feel like a waste to not keep using it. :p
That, I have to agree with 1000% XD

I guess it's cause there's always been this side of me that never earned the "Responsible Adult" (or any adult, really) achievement. I'm 33 and still have a love for plushies, I squee at adorable things like a weirdo, and if I'm not at work or studying I can't take anything seriously. I loved the show as a kid, but I didn't even know the games existed until like around the time X/Y was announced. I guess nostalgia for the show I'd loved as a kid brought me to the games, and OCD (I literally gotta catch 'em all, guys) keeps me there ww. ^^;; Also, now that I have very little free time, Pokemon allows me to get my gaming fix without losing hours of my life to it, or forgetting where I am in the story cause there isn't really much of one (not that that's a criticism. I enjoy not having to think so much when playing Pokemon. My brain gets enough of a workout IRL as it is).

I love nature and what goes on with it. Animals, plants, everything are just so cool and interesting in the things they can do. And I also love collecting things. Pokemon combines those two aspects in an interesting and fun way. It's exciting to see what creature, object or just a concept is going to be represented next and how they go about it with inspirations or additions to the base idea. Then you get to collect and evolve these for yourself as it suits you. Variety is the spice of life and Pokemon has so much of it.

While I go through periodic "interest cycles" (meaning on roughly a monthly basis, my "target" interest shifts between the various interests I have), Pokemon has been fairly constant, though it still is part of my interest cycles regardless. For starters, the community (especially here) has been a very welcoming one. Having been bullied a lot as a kid, finding a place like here to retreat to and find people with common interests is very pleasing to me. I feel safe and at ease, and with little to no fear of being harassed frequently. Secondly, back when I lived in Long Island as a kid, I actually introduced Pokemon to my area, which is a rare feat for me. Usually I'm the last one to find out about something like that, not the first one. So that slight feeling of pride of having introduced such a new craze hasn't quite left me. Third, I guess I'm still pretty much a kid at heart. I love games and anime, even though I'm in my late 20's, so both loves are satisfied fairly frequently with Pokemon (except as of now, where the SM anime is a total abomination to me, especially compared to the SM games, which are some of the best in the series). That doesn't mean, however, that I enjoy everything about Pokemon. The aforementioned SM anime has really turned me off, and the ever-persistent Kanto glorification has left me rather bitter toward the series lately. But generally speaking, I'm still holding onto the series, as it has been a part of me for many years. I may retire from it eventually, especially if Gen 8 pulls similar stunts like what I mentioned already, but the series has taken root, and it may stay that way for some time. That's my 2 cents.

I've thought about hanging up the pokeballs a few times but there's always something that catches my interest in the next generation that pulls me back into action. This generation it was the island trials, the region being 4 islands instead of being (mostly) a big landmass and Z-moves. In XY it was the Megas and Fairy types. At this point I think I'm in some crazy cycle of being pulled out of almost retirement.

I find it fun to make new teams, and there are plenty of possibilities. It's also nice that we get ~100 new Pokemon every few years and new regions to explore. I want to draw my teams and other Pokemon stuff (once I learn how to draw), so I have that to look forward to. And the music, it's always a treat to listen to. Overall I just genuinely love it, always have.

A suggestion I have is to go back to what got you into the franchise in the first place (replay an older game for example), or introduce the series to a child (either a relative or a kid you know). If they like it, seeing their reaction may get you back into it as well.

I will say there is nothing wrong with retiring if that's what you want. Pokemon will always be there if you ever want to come back to it.

The designs of the Pokemon themselves. They have always inspired me and been a huge part of my style as an artist. I've tried to quit before, but I can't help but come back everytime to see the new designs. I find these creatures to be immensely fascinating and I buy the games just so I can have the aesthetically-appealing ones on my team. So I can make up my own head stories about my team and my character in the story.

Pokemon is also one of those things in my life that I feel is mine and mine alone. I know so much about it, and I always have. It's the one thing I'm really knowledgeable about and not just naive of like everything else in my life. I have my own particular way of playing the games all on my own, without anyone's interference. And because it's on a handheld, I can just keep it all to myself. I can pick it up, and play it whenever I want without having to turn on a console and get into a proper position or anything like that. It's just a really good way of expressing myself, because there's so much potential in the world-building as well. So many creatures, so many ideas to think about and play with, and so very welcome to you just... inserting yourself into that world. It's practically encouraged, and I love it. Really, it's not something I can help. Pokemon is just such a huge part of who I am as a person.

All sorts of things. I love playing the games because like many Nintendo franchises, Pokemon takes you somewhere. You go on a life changing adventure with loyal companions that has its fair share of dangers. There's also the battling aspect of it. Being a combat sports fan, training and battling Pokemon is like watching your favorite fighters on their rise to the top. And there some things from my childhood that I don't want to let go and Pokemon is one of them. This mostly applies to the anime. In the last couple of years, Pokemon is something that has helped me fight loneliness and has brought me out of the dumps. Because of Pokemon Go, I've been getting outdoors more.

Basically, as others said, the worldbuilding, the multiple canons we can come up with, the attachment to your cute/strong pets or partners. It's also the thing everyone knew since the Pokemania days, and thus a good thing to talk for nostalgia.

In addition, my following of Pokémon lasted all the way from 1998, because it seemed to have the best balance between lighthearted-ness vs seriousness. While I can say that Fire Emblem and Zelda are my two other Nintendo franchises that I now follow, this wasn't the case before due to the heavier stuff. Mario on the other hand, I played as a kid, but as those games from Gamecube onwards are garbage stuff (except Galaxy 1 and maybe 2), I ain't touching any of them anymore.

I love seeing new pokemon every time there's a new generation. I'm also excited to see new pokemon forms now that those have started existing.

That's why hearing people say "There's too many pokemon now" makes me sad. I love when new pokemon are made! But if they make less and less new pokemon, the series is going to be less fun for me.

I love seeing new pokemon every time there's a new generation. I'm also excited to see new pokemon forms now that those have started existing.

That's why hearing people say "There's too many pokemon now" makes me sad. I love when new pokemon are made! But if they make less and less new pokemon, the series is going to be less fun for me.

I actually both agree and disagree to be honest. Yes, sure, there are still a lot of animals that GF hasn't yet derived from. In fact, have we had a Pegasus Pokémon in Sun and Moon? If not , then this is something I'd like to see in Gen 8, and maybe in a possible Fire Emblem crossover! And we need a kangaroo/wombat/dingo Pokémon for Poke-Australia as well.

At the same time, however it kind of makes me wonder when apparently (I'm not sure yet as I haven't played SM yet.) the National Pokedex quest is missing from Sun and Moon. Sure, the GTS and stuff can alleviate the trouble in "Catch[ing] 'em all", but I think such mechanisms can only delay the inevitable. Who knows? Maybe it'll still be manageable with 2000 Pokémon species, or maybe it could be too much with 1000 Pokémon; I wouldn't pretend to know. But eventually I think there is a limit where GF need to call it quits. Sure, we may not like this (I wouldn't be a huge fan either), but I don't think it is something we can deny.

I think it's a combination of the fandom (especially here on Bulbagarden), curiousity on the new Pokemon that will be revealed in new games or, in the case of remakes, how they remake a story already told, and the wonderment of the region the games will take place in (hoping for a Latin American-type region one day). Also, I am a Pokemon toy collector and I love to expand on new collections if the new Pokemon released happen to be cute enough (Litten-line and Rockruff-line stole my wallet, er..., I mean, heart this generation). I love going to regional tournaments not to win, but to associate with other people who love the same game. I've had great talks with my opponents and when I lose, none of them are bad winners. They say good game and move on. It's a great community with fun gameplay. I consider the Pokemon franchise to be my all-time favorite in terms of games, toy collecting, and fandom.

Well, if you ask me, then the reason is that there is nothing we can see, or o in these few years. Nothing, everything became; so ski complete pokemon this is the one of the anime that I finished mostly the entire episodes.

Secondly, it is so difficult to see it in my mother language

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom