• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What "little things," details, small flourishes, etc. did you appreciate?

Being able to watch TV that wasn't freaking malasada commercials.

I missed this more than I thought I would, actually.

But one thing I really liked was that trainers all didn't just use the plain Pokeballs. It was great that so many other kinds appeared.
I enjoyed that this made its way into the anime too. Jessie catches her Mimikyu in a luxury ball.

Another thing came to mind. The fact that the usual "Yes/No" answers to most questions are more elaborate and realistic. They're all not just "Yes/No", but can include a wide range of phrases, answers, and even humorous lines. It adds a nice bit of spice to the standard RPG-like way of answering most, if not all, questions. Having played countless RPGs in my life, it's nice to see a more unique way of responding to questions than just the traditional "Yes" and "No", which is often the only way you can see the "silent protagonist" speak. This new spin on it makes the character seem more alive, giving him/her far more personality, and not just responding with almost robotic answers that are almost an RPG trademark. So that's a nice little touch that Sun/Moon has added to give Alola (and its residents) more life and personality.

I like the random little scenes here and there, like the one with the crankypants Tauros at the ranch that you help calm down, or the lady in the cemetary whose husband died and she inherited his Machamp. Gives more life to the world, like, "Oh hey, these people have lives beyond whatever it is I'm up to as the main character."

I really like that you're recognized as a trial-goer a lot while you travel. Normally you take on gyms and iirc no one really talks to you about it. But now there's quite often someone who's like 'Oh hey you're wearing the island challenge charm, you must be a trial-goer!' and it just makes me feel so much more part of the world.

And there being trial guides and trial blockades also helps with this a lot.

I've just noticed that the Hiker trainers in Alola are actually fit & brawny, not those tubs of lard that we're used to seeing.

It's nice to finally see something like that for a change.

This might just be me, but I like how it almost seemed like they were trying to create a "brand" with some of the customization products. I noticed that a lot of the merchandise listed as "Sporty" had a Pikachu tail marking, kind of like the Nike check mark. I can't remember if there was anything like that in XY that I just never noticed, but I thought it was kind of clever.

I didn't notice a ton of small changes that hadn't been part of the games since XY,tbh I got the general idea the game was rushed for the 20th anniversary and was half finished.

I loved being able to throw PokeBalls with the tap of the Y button was great,as well as the PC system being more simplified.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

tbh I got the general idea the game was rushed for the 20th anniversary and was half finished.

SM have been in development for two years, plus conceptual planning, which is about the average for Pokémon games.

I'll grant that there are points where they seem to have cut corners, but I think that's probably more to do with making sure that SM don't overtax the 3DS system. Like B2W2 did to the DS, they're pushing the console to its limit.

1. Different trainers having different balls, and seeing the balls you caught your Pokemon in when the Pokemon Center nurse puts them in the tray.
2. You can make your character stumble over their own feet if you mash the dashing button.
3. Losing portraits for all the trainer classes.
4. Shaking grass, which seemed to be a call back to Gen V.
5. Your starter Pokemon choosing you!
6. Pokemon speaking English!...ish.
7. Some of the Team Skull grunts shouting "Dokuro!" (Japanese for "skull") when they see you.
8. Confirmation that it doesn't hurt the Slowpoke to cut off their tails. (Makes me feel better about wishing I could eat them.)

And finally, the number-one thing that warms my heart...

9. You can choose to be a jerk.

- Those NPCs who just kind of stroll through the over-world like they're on their way to something. Makes the world feel a little more organic.

Yeah, the settlements in general tend to have a more lived in feel to them. You can see things like roads, restaurants, pedestrians - some nice touches that suggest at a functioning world that isn't just interested in Pokémon.

If you leave your pokemon at the hot springs in Poke Pelago for too long, they'll complain that they're dizzy.

I don't think it affects anything, but still, a realistic touch.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom