• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What octave do you sing best in?

What octaves can you sing in?

• Total voters

PaulTheProtist

¡Prepárate a morir!
Reaction score
I sing best in Baritone, though I can also sing most of the notes in Tenor 2.

I would love to know this for myself, but I have no idea how. Any resources us musically-inept people could use to find out?

All of them. By which I mean I'm all over the place. Thank god I'm good at playing instruments, because as a vocalist I'm less than stellar.

Mod Note: Moved this to multimedia since the octaves you can reach don't deal with entertainment.

I would love to know this for myself, but I have no idea how. Any resources us musically-inept people could use to find out?

Since you're male, you likely sing in one of the lower octaves. Try comparing yourself to these vocalists:

Tenor: Anberlin - Feel Good Drag - YouTube (the person who sings the verses in Tenor 2, the person who sings the chorus is Tenor 1)

Baritone: Linkin Park - Castle Of Glass (lyrics) - YouTube

Bass:
Crash Test Dummies Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - YouTube

Since you're male, you likely sing in one of the lower octaves. Try comparing yourself to these vocalists:

Tenor: Anberlin - Feel Good Drag - YouTube (the person who sings the verses in Tenor 2, the person who sings the chorus is Tenor 1)

Bass:

I was wondering the same thing, but I'm a girl. Can you help me too? :)

Bass:

I was wondering the same thing, but I'm a girl. Can you help me too? :)

The vast majority of modern female singers (Madonna, Rihanna, Evanescence etc.) are sopranos and if you can sing in their octave, you likely are one. If you sing lower than them, you're likely an alto. To tell if you are a 1 or 2, check the higher and lower songs by these artists and see which ones you are more comfortable at. Sorry, but I'm not as good at identifying female octaves as I am with male ones.

EDIT: Just remembered, Lorde is a singer who sings in the Alto octave (even if I do not like her).

Last edited:

Bass:

I had always felt like a lot of the artists I listen to sing right around the area where I go into falsetto, which means it's a pain to sing along to them without sounding like I just ran a marathon. Now I think that area is around Tenor 1, so as an example, would you say Thom Yorke (from Radiohead) is a Tenor 1? Adam Levine (from Maroon 5) especially I have trouble matching because I think his voice is higher than mine (or maybe I just suck :p), so I jump to falsetto in the middle of a lot of his melodies. On another note, I'd say I have trouble singing along to most women, too, but Bilinda Butcher (from My Bloody Valentine) is one exception, so I was hoping you could confirm that she's an Alto like I suspect.

Thom Yorke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8BqSK1qL-g

Adam Levine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=892Z6nvxwvs

Bilinda Butcher - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRy8dW7fYg

Based on the links you gave me I'd say I'm a Tenor 2. I can sing in Baritone but I can't get as loud when I sing down there and neither can Chester Bennington, and Bass is just out of the question. Now I'm looking for a better idea of what you're saying, based on stuff I listen to all the time. Thanks in advance!

I was trained to be a dramatic Mezzo-Soprano, and also can cover little bit area of Dramatic Contralto. But sometimes I can force myself to be a Spinto which on Soprano lenght.

I normally have range from A3 to B5. But with little bit 'force' and vocal tecnique can go higher or lower.

Also Alto is High male voice which is have range closer to Sopran. Contralto is lowest range for female which have closer range to Bass but natural Contralto very-very rare. Exp of contralto singer is Anggun.

Lorde and Christine Perry also have a really low voice but they seems still jumping from Contralto-Mezzo instead of pure Contralto range.

Bass:

I had always felt like a lot of the artists I listen to sing right around the area where I go into falsetto, which means it's a pain to sing along to them without sounding like I just ran a marathon. Now I think that area is around Tenor 1, so as an example, would you say Thom Yorke (from Radiohead) is a Tenor 1? Adam Levine (from Maroon 5) especially I have trouble matching because I think his voice is higher than mine (or maybe I just suck :p), so I jump to falsetto in the middle of a lot of his melodies. On another note, I'd say I have trouble singing along to most women, too, but Bilinda Butcher (from My Bloody Valentine) is one exception, so I was hoping you could confirm that she's an Alto like I suspect.

Thom Yorke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8BqSK1qL-g

Adam Levine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=892Z6nvxwvs

Bilinda Butcher - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRy8dW7fYg

Based on the links you gave me I'd say I'm a Tenor 2. I can sing in Baritone but I can't get as loud when I sing down there and neither can Chester Bennington, and Bass is just out of the question. Now I'm looking for a better idea of what you're saying, based on stuff I listen to all the time. Thanks in advance!
Adam Levine is definitely a Tenor 1, he tends to go into Falsetto though. Yorke uses both Tenor 1 and 2. Butcher I think is an Alto.

Adam Levine is definitely a Tenor 1, he tends to go into Falsetto though. Yorke uses both Tenor 1 and 2. Butcher I think is an Alto.

I think that settles it, then. I'll vote myself into Tenor 2. Thanks for your help!

I'm an alto. I can't make my voice into soprano without feeling like I'm straining my throat.

Back
Top Bottom