• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What parts of DP didn't work?

Oh yeah. I forgot how awful the first DP dub opening was. Not only was it a bad rap, but it was full of generic lyrics too. It was really a shame since the Battle Frontier dub opening was pretty good. It was the closest to a 4Kids kind of opening that the TPCI has gotten to in my opinion, but following it up with this was just sad. At least the other DP dub openings were better, but that was not a good way to start off the series.

Speaking of the DP Rap, the same person who sang it (Chris "Breeze") did the "Living in the Shadow" song for the end of the Darkrai Movie- despite it being longer, I still disliked it, personally.

Ah heck, TPCI is a blight on every saga since Mid-Battle Frontier, so there's little point in bringing it up :p

Oh right, DP is when the 30 second dub openings started. They weren't all terrible, but the jump from full-length songs to what essentially felt like clips was lame. That was another downside of DP for me, though it also applies for BW and XY.

I didn't mind the 30 second song treatment the Dub had to go through, but I just wished they were longer, guess that's what CN will do to you. The 1st song for DP wasn't trash at least for me. I will say that that later songs got better because of the rap shitck being gone and for good.

Shoot, it applies to EVERYHING now. No one does theme songs anymore. Or at least not ones long enough to matter :(
I think Disney XD airing the SM dub may reverse this trend since there's no CN 30-second restriction for the length on air, but sadly, length has never been my only issue with (most) of the dub themes post-AG, is all I'm going to say on this one.

There have been some good TPCI dub themes even with the thirty second time limit, but that does really hurt quite a few of them, along with the generic lyrics. I'm hopeful that the SM dub opening will fare better on Disney XD, but they'd still need to put more effort than they normally do in making the song as well.

the fairy gym could have been 3vs3 with mega mavile vs Talonflame
and the rock gym really would have needed 3vs3, stealth rock and a Tyrantrum, Ash could have goten Frogadier faster.
They could have made more rematches with gym leaders and longer league with more battles.

This isn't DP at all. This is DP:
f2ceea391cbddeb998822f19d43233343c73d098_hq.gif

I point out what I don't like in DP:

-Pocchama receiving too much focus.
-Way boring fillers in early episodes
-Openings 1 and 2 overstaying its welcome, especially one (yeah, that happened in pretty much every saga until XY)

I know a lot of people seem to have an issue with piplup but I generally didn't mind especially at the beginning and if you compare to the rest of ash's companions starter Pokémon I think it's by far the best in terms of personality and focus

Last edited:
I think the saga had a very strong start with plenty of character development and cast screen-time. Then, somewhere down the road (I think when the gang arrived at Canalave City) things started getting stagnant, saccharine and dull. For Ash it was Infernape or nothing, Dawn essentially reached the peak of her development and progress and Brock faded into ever loving obscurity.

Piplup did annoy me quite a bit when I first watched the series, but I don't think it's as bad as people claim after rewatching DP a few times. It can be annoying and it definitely took up a lot of attention from most of Dawn's other Pokemon, but I think that watching through the series daily instead of weekly helped to make it less of an annoyance. Plus, the relationship between Dawn and Piplup was genuinely sweet, it actually had a believable increase in power over the course of the series and it was one of the better secondary mascot Pokemon.

Ambipom's release. Most of my complaints about DP are fairly minor but that flat-out sucked.

The dub did horrible, horrible things to Team Rocket.

The English opening to the first Diamond and Pearl series was ass. Whoever thought having a rap was a good idea should have been kicked out on the spot.

That one's so bad it's good IMO.

that's a tough one I felt at times in dp that brock was pointiness but when they did replace him it felt like their was something missing from the show with at him and instead of writing him out they should have done more with the character

That's true. The only advantage Dragonite has over Togekiss is that it was tied in more to Iris's goal than Togekiss was for May. That doesn't really mean too much when she didn't deserve an overpowered fully evolved Dragonite either, but there was more reasoning behind it than "let's give Dawn a sixth Pokemon just in time for the Grand Festival."

Completely diferent circumstances. Hikari is cheated out of Eteboth (for reasons), Togekiss is her compensation for that. Iris is different, they given her a powerhouse on a silver platter so she defeat Langley and Hikari and become powerful enough to be relevant. Worse, it became her main pokemon to battle.

Completely diferent circumstances. Hikari is cheated out of Eteboth (for reasons), Togekiss is her compensation for that. Iris is different, they given her a powerhouse on a silver platter so she defeat Langley and Hikari and become powerful enough to be relevant. Worse, it became her main pokemon to battle.

I know that the circumstances between both captures were different, but I'm just saying that there was more of a reason for Iris to get Dragonite than there was for Dawn to get Togekiss, even though Dragonite is arguably far worse writing wise because of the reasons you pointed out. It was just there to give Iris a fully evolved Dragon type without any of the work to get it and they could keep Axew marketable, even though they had long dropped that point about getting Axew to evolve. That wouldn't have necessarily been that bad if Iris deserved it and if she still put in work with Dragonite, but she didn't.

Even the whole Dragonite not listing to her subplot didn't really result in anything besides giving her more undeserved victories. She just kept yelling at Dragonite to listen to her, not learning from her experiences with Excadrill at all in the process, and the way she got it to listen to her was no different than how she was able to get it to follow her in the first place, in that she protected it, which made the whole subplot virtually pointless in that regard. It was just to make Iris look more like an extra special snowflake. Togekiss was just a fairly rare case of Dawn having bad writing, but Dragonite was another point on a long list for Iris' terrible writing.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom