• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was your first Pokémon?

What was your first ever Pokémon

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 78 11.3%
  • Charmander

Votes: 148 21.5%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 116 16.9%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 77 11.2%
  • Chikorita

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 53 7.7%
  • Totodile

Votes: 31 4.5%
  • Treecko

Votes: 29 4.2%
  • Torchic

Votes: 36 5.2%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 32 4.7%
  • Umbreon & Espeon

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Eevee

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 21 3.1%
  • Piplup

Votes: 24 3.5%

• Total voters

Kimori-Hinoarashi

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a repeat of a previous thread, but there were about 10 pages when I searched for this. What was your first ever Pokémon? Why did you choose it? What game was it in?

Mine was a male Treecko, nicknamed Treeyy, in Emerald. I chose it because it looked cool. It is now a level 100 Sceptile that knows Leaf Blade, Return, Pursuit, and Giga Drain.

My very first Pokemon was a Totodile in Pokemon Silver (my first Pokemon game). I chose Totodile because I hated Cyndaquil's look and thought Chikorita was more fit for a female trainer. It is now tied with Squirtle as my favorite Water Starter. That Totodile was also the very first Pokemon I got to level 100. It knew the moves Surf, Earthquake, Ice Punch and Hydro Pump.

Now, in SoulSilver, I started with a Totodile as an homage to my Silver version parter. I nicknamed it Silver and trained it to level 100 as well. Currently, it's moves are Waterfall, Ice Punch, Earthquake and Swords Dance.

Squirtle in Blue. I chose it because I liked Water-type Pokemon, and still do, and I thought that a giant turtle with cannons sticking out of it's shell was way better than a generic dragon and a plant.

Bulbasaur in Red, because I like quadrupeds and I like the number 1.

I have long since lost/sold the cartridge on which he existed.

very first Pokemon was sqirtle, ah the days when life was simpler (and by that i mean no school or other crap to deal with)man how we wiped the floor with the elite four

Bulbasaur is Green version, I chose him just because I got green version and he was the dude on the cover. I found out later that its also the best one to use in the beginning (with Takeshi being rock and Kasumi being water and a cave in between)

can some tell me why evee and Espeon are on the list?

A Bulbasaur in Blue, nicknamed....either Buddy or Bulby. I don't remember which.

Chickorita
ah, i loved that thing
if were not talking starters, it was a togipie
i didn't figure out how to catch pokemon untill after it had hatched, ah, metronome, how awsome it is

Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow. I got the game with a Gameboy Color Bundle. I think the bundle was from Target but I can't remember...

Charmander from FireRed (I think. Not sure which I got first: PMD or FR). Theres nothing wrong with having your childhood in Gen III... right? I think I was only 5 years old back then.

can some tell me why evee and Espeon are on the list?

From Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Both RPGs for GameCube in Gen III. In Colosseum was Espeon AND Umbreon. In XD, you got Eevee.

OFFICIALLY it was Chikorita (have never chosen her since) but before that, I selected Squirtle as my pokemon on a friend's copy of Red.

Cyndaquil was my first Pokemon on Pokemon Gold, namely because I thought he was cuter than the others. I also preferred fire types at the time. I almost finished the game with him (except I hadn't beaten Red) and then I decided to restart. I chose Totodile after that, and I haven't picked Cyndaquil again since. I'm not sure why, because I never really disliked Cyndaquil in any way. =/

Squirtle was my first Pokemon on Blue, mainly because the Squirtle Squad was awesome. Eventually I started again with Bulbasaur,and that was the first save where I completed the game.

My very first Pokemon was a Totodile in Pokemon Silver (my first Pokemon game).

you and me buddy, we're best friends now, as i too am the only other person here who's first pokemon was a Totodile:)

My totodile was named, well, Dile lol and i made a clone of him back in gold (my 1st handheld pokemon game) and They(?) both only ever made it to somewhere in the 80's before i feared my battery dieing on me.

They knew:

Dile (original):
Level 89 (now level 90, this thread made me dig up/play my Gold until i lvl'd him up once more :3)
Cut
Slash
Rage
Hydro Pump

Dile (Clone)
Level 81
Cut
Whirlpool
Surf
Hydro Pump

and as you can tell by my custom Trainer Card in my sig. i revived my old friend in HG, naturally named, Dile<3 ah, homage.

Last edited:
My first Pokemon was Mudkip on Sapphire. It was the only Pokemon I trained during that time. I even trained it up to level 100! Good times...

Back
Top Bottom