• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would ya'll rate the Sun&Moon series as a whole so far?

jonathan keller

Reaction score
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

Now, since the sun&moon series has aired it's first 5 episodes I felt it was appropriate to go ahead and ask ya'll what you thought about them. Did it exceed expectations? Was it about what you thought it was? Rate from 1-10 in the comments below!!

My opinion

Pro's
. ALL the characters are quite enjoyable so far.
Kiawe is the " father" figure of the group. He's stern, but he knows how to warm up to the group not always being the cliche " bad-ass jerk" character. And that in itself is pretty refreshing to me.

Mallow is the "mother" figure of the group. Always supporting her friends, quick to warm up to people and not even hesitating to show them around, also asking if people are okay if they get hurt. She's my favorite.

Lana is the shy girl. But she's also a girl of action

Sophocles is basically Clemont 2.0. That's about all I have to say

Also the "slapstick" comedy is working and blending in rather well, from ash taking a critical hit to the nads from milotic, to him getting slapped by alolan exeggutor, to the face he made when he saw bewear knock down that tree and realized that it was going to attack him. It just all blended in really well.

And also, last but not least. The background animation is GORGEOUS. Everthing is so vibrant and colorful, the people in the background aren't just cardboard cut-outs that stay still. They actually move.

CONS-

TR- When I first saw Team Rocket's design artwork before the series aired, honestly I was fine with it, there was nothing really different. But once I saw them animated ....wow, it looks like only there faces aged while the body stayed exactly the same. I also don't like them stalking ash's every move, yes I get it, it's team rocket they follow ash around, it's what they do. But they don't follow his every move, writing down every single thing he does. I'm sure that was just a one episode thing, but nonetheless it was quite creepy.

Tapu Koko himself is pretty cool, but him giving ash the z-ring was pretty pointless. So, it turns out that ash's z-ring broke because he had to go through and complete the island trials first. But being the island guardian, don't you think tapu koko would know that. It doesn't make any sense, and ash only got the ring that early to sell toys.

I'm not really a fan of professor kukui, professor sycamore was more fun.

Also, that bewear gag is just plain ridiculous

All in all, sun&moon exceeded my expectations and i'm sure it exceeded some of your expectations as well,and it's getting of to a pretty good start. Yeah, there's some okay episodes, but they recover with a good episode the next week.

Overall I will give the series a 7.8/10

What about you?

Last edited:
Sophocles is basically Clemont 2.0. That's about all I have to say

Tapu Koko himself is pretty cool, but him giving ash the z-ring was pretty pointless. So, it turns out that ash's z-ring broke because he had to go through and complete the island trials first. But being the island guardian, don't you think tapu koko would know that. It doesn't make any sense, and ash only got the ring that early to sell toys.

I'm not really a fan of professor kukui, professor sycamore was more fun.

Overall I will give the series a 7.8/10

I would say Clemont and Sophocles are pretty different. Sure, they both like to use electric types and they like to create inventions, but Sophocles's seem to work well and he's also more confident than Clemont and can be pretty rude and pushy sometimes.

I think Tapu Koko appearing early was because they wanted to have another special Pokemon appear to Ash, that no one else really sees, like Ho-oh, or to a lesser extent, Zekrom in BW001, even though I'm pretty sure other people also saw Zekrom, but it did effect Ash and Pikachu.

I'm not a huge fan of Professor Kukui so far either, but I don't hate him either. I like his uses of moves in conversations though. I've only seen two uses of them so far (unless I missed one or more), but I'm sure it will happen again.

"7.8/10", you sure you didn't give that score because there's too much water?

Anyway, I was worried about the series taking on a more light-hearted tone, but I'm enjoying it and there are some serious moments as well and I really quite like most of the characters already, especially Lana.

10/10 too much water.

But in all seriousness, is 5 episodes really enough? Key characters like Lillie (!!) have barely spoken till now! Looking back, I don't think that the first 5 episodes of any of the previous sagas gave us enough of a clue as to where the series would go/how good it would be.

Based on the first two episodes I've seen, it seems to be off to a good start. It was introducing the new setting, characters and setting up the new status quo quite nicely. I haven't seen the Japanese version yet, but just based on the first two episodes of the dub, I can't help but feel like the reactions to the trailers and posters were such huge overreactions. Ash still seems like a competent trainer, as I can't imagine a significantly regressed Ash being able to pull off a Z-Move like he did in episode two, and I really like the art style. I can see why some may not like the latter, but I like it and I really like how fluid the animation is.

I haven't gotten as much of an impression of the new characters as other people, but they feel distinct and I'm quite interested as to where they're taking Lillie due to her fear of Pokemon. I do hope that they'll handle her storyline well and not just have her as a comedy relief character. I'm also quite curious what they'll do with the captains since Ash will have to face them in their trials. I'm still a bit nervous about having so many characters in the main cast, but there is some interesting potential and I do love the fact that we still have an equal number of male and female characters.

As for Tapu Koko, I thought it was pretty clear that they wanted Ash to meet another rare Pokemon like they've done in the past. Plus, it ties in nicely with the games in that Tapu Koko gives a Z-Ring to the player character who oddly enough is from Kanto too. I also wouldn't say it was pointless to give him a Z-Crystal along with it. Tapu Koko was clearly teaching Ash how to use the Z-Move during their battle and I think it was to help Ash to get further interested in taking part of the Island Trials. He had already seen Z-moves, but being able to use one himself would get Ash even more interested in doing the Island Trials. It's far from pointless, especially when it will probably be quite important for Ash to be in Alola as the series progresses.

It's hard to rate or judge the series completely at this point when even the Japanese version is only five episodes in. That's not enough to judge most series, let alone a long running one like Pokemon, but I will say that the series seems perfectly fine to thus far, to the point where all of the negative reactions to its announcement are even more bizarre to me. It setup the new characters and setting quite nicely and I am really eager to see how they'll handle the characters, the Island Trials and the storyline in general.

Well.... I guess it's too early to give a rating for some reason, you know this still applies for future episodes right?

And everyone seems to be bashing it. So, go ahead mods. I guess you can close this thread

I don't really see anyone bashing the series. Most of the comments here have been rather positive. It's just too early for most people to give a solid rating for the series when there are only five episodes available. That's pretty early for any series, so I think it's fine for the thread to stay open.

From what I have seen so far...I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! :D
It's refreshing and they pretty much put everything in this new series that I have been hoping for.

The characters haven't been seen doing too much yet and we still don't know a lot about them but I already have my favorites.
Mallow is my #1, this girl is beautiful and awesome.
Lillie is next because she's smart and beautiful
I love Mallow and Lillie both already.
Sophocles is growing on me and I can't wait to see more of him, Kiawe is cool and so is Lana. I really liked her focus episode and Popplio is just the most adorable Water Pokemon ever!!! but Oshawott will always be #1 in my book.
Professor Kukui is a fun character and I'm loving the Alola Oak. :D

So far, I have to say, I think its a decent series. The new art style is alright, though I love the characters. They're all full of personality and they're all seem like they're gonna be fun to get to watch grow and develop. The series has a lot of charm from its humor, from Samson Oak's Pokemon puns to that Bewear. I think Ash getting slapped around like a rag doll is starting to get a bit tiresome, only 5-6 episodes in. Speaking of Ash, I feel like he's been a bit refereshing and doesn't seem to have regressed too much. I mean, he still knows how to battle decently and catch Pokemon. I think its off to a good start and it seems like we're finally getting into the good stuff in a couple weeks.

So far I'm liking it! Even though the art design is a bit jarring for the well-established characters (Satoshi and TR), the animation is decent in general, and some of the action shots have been especially great. The new characters have nice designs, and are so far likeable, as are the new Pokemon being introduced. I have a feeling I might not be crazy about Sophocles, but soon I guess we'll get to see more of his personality, so maybe I'll warm up to him.
Featuring some more variations in skin color is a plus too.
I feel a little mixed about Satoshi's extra-spunky personality for this season, because on the one hand, although he could be a bit bland in XY, I did like that he seemed "older" in a way. But, I'm definitely not against portraying him with more slapstick humor, a bit reminiscent of how he was when I was a ten-year-old watching Pokemon.
Over all, I'm enjoying still not really knowing what to expect! The show is a lot of things, but definitely not predictable at this point. Can't wait to see Nyabby and Alola Meowth!
I'd probably give it a 7.5/10 so far?

It's early days but I'm satisfied with the direction the show is going on and what they're trying to do. What Sun and Moon has done is bring back charm and personality to a show that's become rigid and formulaic, much like how the games brought the charm back to a series that had become bland.

A big part of that is the animation. While there's still some stiffness that carries over from XY, characters and Pokemon are a ton more expressive and interesting to watch. Mannerisms and quirks come across far stronger without having to shine a spotlight on them. Just being able to watch human characters do more than just cycle through the same stock animations every episode is so refreshing and I hope they continue to be adventurous with the new range of movements.

Conceptually it was a bold move to radically depart from their usual stock adventure format but it's one that'll work. I'm happy for them to take their time fleshing out the cast and the region before Ash goes on his adventure. I want them to really develop the relationships within the cast, because it'll add so much more meaning to the journey when they eventually go on one. Potentially this has a lot more staying power than the arbitrary reasons character usually have to travel with Ash.

As for the characters, we have a large and varied cast that I hope won't be wasted. I'm encouraged by these focus episodes.

It's pointless giving a rating at this point, but it's been an enjoyable experience so far.

I really like the series so far. I'm going to avoid rating it right now as it's a bit early, and things can change. The show's very charming, and it's obvious that they care a lot about their characters.

At the moment, I don't think I can add too much because VTP-kun took the words right out of my mouth. Lol. Right now, my favourite shows are slice of life so this is right up my alley. I haven't played the game yet so everything is brand new to me.

I've been watching this show since day one so it's nice to get a season where I don't know where they're gonna go just yet and how they'll handle so big of a cast. The best part is, as I'm quoting KG Prestige from YouTube, this is the first time seeing Ash act and seem like a real 10 year old.

Too early to rate.

But based on what we've got until now and comparing that with the first couple episodes of the last four series, it's the second weakest start after Johto.

Too many "character introduction" episodes and the last one with Sophocles was empty as hell and pretty much a filler. And based what we have now, it seems there's no pro-active second protagonist because of the fear Lillie have right now with her role probably being saved for the plot and the Mallow, Chrys etc. rather being second hand characters than real protagonists. Also somehow bad animation but expected worse after all those trailers, but it's still worse than XY's animation.

I just can't see in which direction they want to go with this. And how they want to involve all those captains and other characters after Ash leaves the school. It doesn't excite me and it rather feels like some cartoon than a plot driven series.

Based on the episodes I've seen (the first 6) I've enjoyed it a lot. I'll definitely be keeping up with this.

I think one of the main pulls for me is the art style of the series. The new animation style is really expressive and fluid, and makes comical/dramatic reactions that much more enjoyable. Ash & Mallow's face is a fine example of this art style at work, as is Team Rocket's interactions with Mimikyu for the first time. It feels fresh, and has added a charm to the series that I can't help but enjoy.
The lack of badge quest also helps, and Ash's participation at the school adds to the new feel of the series.

I don't really do ratings, but...I would recommend checking it out. It's fun.

So far, so good in my personal opinion.

The Beginning: The first two episodes certainly got things off to a good start, I was honestly surprised Ash got a Z- Ring that early though now it's pretty useless until he goes through one of the trials. The introduction to the Pokémon School was good and Samson Oak is an absolute hoot. While it ain't as good as the beginning of XY (which is still my favourite though none of you will care), it's still a nice way to start the series.

The Animation: Man, the animation looks really terrific. The characters move more and everything feels fluid. Highlights includes Kiawe's battle against Team Skull and some of the Rotomdex episode. I'm a big fan of Iwane so no surprise there. The opening's animation is really good too. Sure, there are errors that I know people have spotted but if they keep this up, this could be the most well animated series Pokémon has ever had.

The Companions (Most of them): This has to be the biggest set of companions the show has ever had and most of them (besides one I'll get to in a minute) are pretty good. Lana is currently my personal favourite of the companions with Kiawe coming at second. Mallow's a pretty fun character and Lillie's good too.

Kukui: Kukui's a very good professor, although Sycamore's still my number one favourite professor. It's clear that since it's taking place at a Pokémon School and Kukui's there quite a lot, he's certainly gonna get quite a lot of development as the series progresses.

Bewear: This bear. This god damn bear is such a hoot to watch. Every time Team Rocket gets defeated he just comes out of nowhere, gets himself into some awkward situation, grabs Team Rocket and runs. Honestly this Pokémon is surely becoming one of the funniest things about the show so far and I get so excited when he shows up.

The Art Design: I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the art design they were going for when we were shown a preview. Like many fans, I had been more or less suited to the old style that Pokémon's been known for and for the anime's style to chance all of a sudden, just really shocked me. However afterwards I had calmed down and while it's going to take some time to get used to, the art design is good, not great, good. Looking at it now, it's not as bad as I had feared it was going to be. It's just one change I honestly don't like (and no it's not Ash by the way).

Sophocles: Sophocles to me is the weakest companion at the moment. I don't think he's Clemont 2.0 as his inventions work unlike Clemont and he certainly shows quite some potential. It's just that the episode he got just didn't do enough for me. The only thing I learned that unless he has his Pokémon or Togedemaru with him, he's useless. And quite honestly, he can be so much more than just a joke. I honestly want Sophocles to get more better development in the future, actual development, not silly shenanigans. This is Pokémon after all, it's nice to have a joke here and there but I do love myself a bit of character development too.

Team Rocket's New Look: As much as I've started warming into Ash's new design, I still honestly dislike the new look Team Rocket got. Yeah, they're still funny... but they look more... rounded. And that's now how I remember Team Rocket. I don't know but I like them in their original look much better. (None of you will give a crap though)

So yes, Sun & Moon has been good so far. XY's still my favourite series but Sun & Moon has been a fun ride through these first few episodes. There's only been one hiccup (of course not all series can have just good episodes, I mean anyone remember Spock's Brain from Star Trek?) but I am honestly looking forward at what the anime has to offer.

So I shall go the Empire Magazine route and give it a 4/5. It could change, it could go higher or lower but we'll see how it goes as time goes on.

Sophocles: Sophocles to me is the weakest companion at the moment. I don't think he's Clemont 2.0 as his inventions work unlike Clemont and he certainly shows quite some potential. It's just that the episode he got just didn't do enough for me. The only thing I learned that unless he has his Pokémon or Togedemaru with him, he's useless. And quite honestly, he can be so much more than just a joke. I honestly want Sophocles to get more better development in the future, actual development, not silly shenanigans. This is Pokémon after all, it's nice to have a joke here and there but I do love myself a bit of character development too.
I can see why you're saying that and I almost felt the same. But I think (or perhaps hope!) the last episode laid some foundations for where they are going to take him - he clearly doesn't have much self confidence and I am expecting that to be developed.
I don't know but I like them in their original look much better. (None of you will give a crap though)
I give a crap. (I'm still waiting for these guys to return.)

I think it's off to a good start. I like the more laid back, comedic approach thus far. Considering how intense and emotional the games are towards the end, I'm expecting the series to take a more serious tone as it grows.

Also, random and unrelated, who is Nurse Jenny's (if she's in the series..) helper Pokemon in this region?

I think it's off to a good start. I like the more laid back, comedic approach thus far. Considering how intense and emotional the games are towards the end, I'm expecting the series to take a more serious tone as it grows.

Also, random and unrelated, who is Nurse Jenny's (if she's in the series..) helper Pokemon in this region?
Blissey and Comfey

Probably should've waited until after episode 10 or even 20 for this, Jonny boy.

That said, so far, so good. Mixing it up a bit while bringing back the nuttiness of the Kanto days, but with more plot and depth. Taking its time to develop characters and Pokémon while subtly setting events for later. And hey, any Saga that brings in the Villain Team so soon can't be all bad! (y)

Though least we forget EVERY Saga starts off well...:cautious:

I guess I'm in the extreme minority here, but I still don't see much appeal in this series. I still don't like the general art style and the slapstick humor which, while they both are in a more moderate and balanced amount compared to the first two episodes, still don't suit my tastes. It feels really awkward to me.

Sure, Kanto had its fair amount of slapstick humor as well, but… I don't know… I feel it was more "natural" and wasn't as much in the face as SM. But I guess that's just me.

Aside of those two things, I personally find the new characters quite bland, with Mallow and Sophocles being the main offenders. Rotom is really annoying and Lillie seems to be suffering from "Skyla Syndrome", making her a far cry from her more determined in-game self. Kiawe and Suiren, though, feel much more consistent and connected to their in-game personas, which I appreciate.

So, I think that so far the series has been really mediocre. Maybe it will improve and become more entertaining and interesting as we go further, but so far I'm mostly unimpressed by it.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom