• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would ya'll rate the Sun&Moon series as a whole so far?

I would say it's more of we're seeing very little action yet. There is a good amount of school time as far as I can tell in the episodes. But with the lack of traveling as well as the fact that the only consistent cast are Ash, Pikachu and Rotomdex, it feels like we haven't seen much in Ash's journey at all. In fact, I would say it's a bit indecisive on what it wants to be. Classical journey or school? Would have really benefited to have Delia be part of the main cast rather than Ash being alone.

And I believe they can stretch the school session for three years. Ash could travel to every island of Alola, but school life will follow him. There could be many school buildings for the class to move to. And the roaming journey designated into field trips and they would always return back to the school. Suffice to say, I don't see them going back to what it once was. Right now, there's not much happening. Only set up, but with no illusion of traveling.

I don't know about that. While it sounds plausible at least, I'm not sure what would be the benefit of stretching out the school aspect for the whole series. I think it works as a nice hook into the series and helping to setup the new setting/characters, but I don't know if they'd really need to use it for the long haul.

Not actually true. People are complaining because they abandoned the adventure format in favor of school-based format. Not showing actual school stuff doesn't change that. It's only makes it worse by not following the premise they promised.

I remember people just being upset at the very idea of Ash going to school. It was one of the main complaints alongside the animation and character designs. Seeing people being upset over the school stuff not being shown just annoys me a bit because of how much complaining there was before the series even began and if they did show more of the school life, then people would still be throwing a fit over that too.

martianmister said:
It's not an assumption, it's what they advertised. Everything they shown to us since the first episode is supporting that. Satoshi's "companions" aren't likely to travel with him to other places, they have jobs and responsibilities in their homes. And it's not likely that Satoshi would abandon them to travel Alola by himself.

Even with their jobs and responsibilities, they could still probably find some way to get them to travel with Ash. It's not like other characters have had responsibilities to deal with and chose to still follow Ash anyway. It might be a bit more tricky given that all of them are Trial Captains in the games, but I don't think it would necessarily be that unlikely for them to travel with Ash.

I don't know about that. While it sounds plausible at least, I'm not sure what would be the benefit of stretching out the school aspect for the whole series. I think it works as a nice hook into the series and helping to setup the new setting/characters, but I don't know if they'd really need to use it for the long haul.

You can say that for many things about "what would be the benefits of stretching out" this arc or that arc. There's a usual status quo often bid the time before the next games (which the anime producers admit they have no idea until GameFreak announce it to them). I've seen plenty of school shows before, and they can be stretched or compressed as the real end goal is graduation, which is a matter of time rather than distance.

The previous format of Pokémon is distance, Ash's goal is measured by Gym Badges, which are located in different parts of the region. And since he's always traveling, you get the illusion that he's making somewhat of a progression even if it's going to be a long string of filler. Sun and Moon does not have that illusion and as result, I feel less incentive to care. Ironically, if it had been a completely new protagonist, this new format would have certainly gotten my attention.

The reason I came to conclusion that we are going to be seeing this school format for a long time is because we do not have a stable group. Beforehand, Pokémon always had a small group that was easy to keep track of the characters. The maximum was four (two of which are siblings), and they always appear in every single episode from their debut to their departure. Sun and Moon has to juggle around 5-6 characters and one of the episode had most of the supporting cast missing save for one. As a result, we are left to focus on Ash, Pikachu and Rotomdex as the consistent characters, with everyone either being in the background who occasionally pop out to briefly touch upon their story arc. Compare that in the games where it's easy to keep track of the characters. If the anime had been following the game storyline, it would have been:

Ash, Lillie and Hau with Rotomdex as your guide. Everyone else is regulated to their own character arc whenever Ash goes to a trial (as they are the Trial Captains).

But we do not have a third wheel like Hau right now. And aside from Lillie, who could be integrated into Ash's traveling group and who could excluded? Especially if certain characters get more popular than others. As a result, I don't see Ash leaving the school format anytime soon. And considering they said that Jenny graduated from Pokémon School, I believe that is not some premiere hook that will be discarded shortly after into the series. This is going to be the new status quo until the new games come out.

I've seen plenty of school shows before, and they can be stretched or compressed as the real end goal is graduation, which is a matter of time rather than distance.

The previous format of Pokémon is distance, Ash's goal is measured by Gym Badges, which are located in different parts of the region. And since he's always traveling, you get the illusion that he's making somewhat of a progression even if it's going to be a long string of filler. Sun and Moon does not have that illusion and as result, I feel less incentive to care. Ironically, if it had been a completely new protagonist, this new format would have certainly gotten my attention.

Ash's goal is now measured by Z-Crystals which, until we're shown otherwise, are scattered about all four islands. There's absolutely no way he's going to be stuck on the one island for the entirety of this series. His very goal requires him to be ont he move.

To put it another way: don't put too much stock into this school and graduation thing. Apart from promotional material, can you recall the word "graduation" come up in the show? Has it been explicitly stated by Ash or any other character that his aim is to graduate? The answer is no. The trials, Z-Moves and Tapu Koko have been the centre of Ash's attention from the very beginning. The school is just the backdrop.

The reason I came to conclusion that we are going to be seeing this school format for a long time is because we do not have a stable group. Beforehand, Pokémon always had a small group that was easy to keep track of the characters. The maximum was four (two of which are siblings), and they always appear in every single episode from their debut to their departure. Sun and Moon has to juggle around 5-6 characters and one of the episode had most of the supporting cast missing save for one. As a result, we are left to focus on Ash, Pikachu and Rotomdex as the consistent characters, with everyone either being in the background who occasionally pop out to briefly touch upon their story arc. Compare that in the games where it's easy to keep track of the characters.

It's pretty easy to keep track of an extra character or two. The main cast is well-established by this point.

But we do not have a third wheel like Hau right now. And aside from Lillie, who could be integrated into Ash's traveling group and who could excluded? Especially if certain characters get more popular than others. As a result, I don't see Ash leaving the school format anytime soon. And considering they said that Jenny graduated from Pokémon School, I believe that is not some premiere hook that will be discarded shortly after into the series. This is going to be the new status quo until the new games come out.

Literally anyone could be integrated into a traveling group. In the first place, why is a fixed group a necessity? Why not have a flexible group where characters come and go? Hell, it's not like this show has a history of changing character's roles from the games to fit their needs or anything.

To say that a potential lack of obvious traveling companions will confine Ash to the school for the whole series is nonsense. Imagine if you're a director for the show. Which sounds easier?

1) basing 150 episodes around the school, keeping Ash on one island
2) basing 150 episodes around all four islands, the trials, crystals, and any other plot element they can adapt from the games

For all the predictions that this series will have no adventure and will be entirely school based, I've yet to see a compelling argument that this is the direction they'll go in.

The fact that the Island Trials require people to travel to different islands is one of the main reasons I don't see them sticking to the school format for the whole series. The school setting is way more of a gimmick than something that they're confining the series to, at least based on what I've seen and heard about the series. Even the idea of different schools on the other islands feels like a stretch to me when I don't think that would serve much of a purpose. It works fine for the first island to help get the audience familiar with the new status quo, but do they really need to do that by the time Ash is getting towards his last Trial? It isn't impossible, but I don't see the point of it. It just comes off as making huge conclusions off of little to no information. There would have to be a good reason for the series to be entirely school based and I haven't seen a good argument for that yet either.

Ash's goal is now measured by Z-Crystals which, until we're shown otherwise, are scattered about all four islands. There's absolutely no way he's going to be stuck on the one island for the entirety of this series. His very goal requires him to be ont he move.

To put it another way: don't put too much stock into this school and graduation thing. Apart from promotional material, can you recall the word "graduation" come up in the show? Has it been explicitly stated by Ash or any other character that his aim is to graduate? The answer is no. The trials, Z-Moves and Tapu Koko have been the centre of Ash's attention from the very beginning. The school is just the backdrop.

Ash has the capacity to travel to other islands, no one is doubting that. But to say it'll be like the classical adventure format from the past is ignoring what we are seeing right now. Ash is not camping outside like he used to. He is living with the Professor as if he was his father. Him traveling to other places does not mean that he'll somehow leave school. On the contrary, school will follow him.

Graduation is what the advertisements said. And the logical deduction when you consider how you leave school: Flunk, Drop-Out, or Graduate. It's everyone's goal suffice to say. And it's not like Ash has anything at stake of not graduating. People assume that the school thing is going to be dropped off in just a few episodes. I do not see it and considering that I've heard word that the animators were tasked to make Satoshi an actual child (rather than someone who clearly is supposed to be older than 10), I'm more inclined to believe that school will be the whole premise of the series.

It's pretty easy to keep track of an extra character or two. The main cast is well-established by this point.

Literally anyone could be integrated into a traveling group. In the first place, why is a fixed group a necessity? Why not have a flexible group where characters come and go? Hell, it's not like this show has a history of changing character's roles from the games to fit their needs or anything.

To say that a potential lack of obvious traveling companions will confine Ash to the school for the whole series is nonsense. Imagine if you're a director for the show. Which sounds easier?

1) basing 150 episodes around the school, keeping Ash on one island
2) basing 150 episodes around all four islands, the trials, crystals, and any other plot element they can adapt from the games

For all the predictions that this series will have no adventure and will be entirely school based, I've yet to see a compelling argument that this is the direction they'll go in.

The fact that the Island Trials require people to travel to different islands is one of the main reasons I don't see them sticking to the school format for the whole series. The school setting is way more of a gimmick than something that they're confining the series to, at least based on what I've seen and heard about the series. Even the idea of different schools on the other islands feels like a stretch to me when I don't think that would serve much of a purpose. It works fine for the first island to help get the audience familiar with the new status quo, but do they really need to do that by the time Ash is getting towards his last Trial? It isn't impossible, but I don't see the point of it. It just comes off as making huge conclusions off of little to no information. There would have to be a good reason for the series to be entirely school based and I haven't seen a good argument for that yet either.

I think people are missing the point when someone says this school premise could last for the whole series. Of course Ash isn't going to be stuck on one island forever. But nobody said that school is stuck on one island either. If Best Wishes showed us anything, it's that you can have a fleet of identical boats commanded by a family of identical captain. If they really want to sell the classical idea of Ash traveling across the land, searching far and wide for Z-crystals, why not establish the school as a hook and footnote and promote that instead of look at the school life of Ash? I see class lessons at the beginning of each episode, hosted by a classmate such as Lana or Lillie. I see Ash spending his mornings and nights at Kukui's house rather going out camping in the woods. The impression I get is that they are really trying to sell the school life (or should I say, neighborhood life) of the Pokémon world. And considering shows like Mega Man NT Warriors for example, I see little evidence that they will ditch this format anytime soon.

I think people are missing the point when someone says this school premise could last for the whole series. Of course Ash isn't going to be stuck on one island forever. But nobody said that school is stuck on one island either. If Best Wishes showed us anything, it's that you can have a fleet of identical boats commanded by a family of identical captain. If they really want to sell the classical idea of Ash traveling across the land, searching far and wide for Z-crystals, why not establish the school as a hook and footnote and promote that instead of look at the school life of Ash? I see class lessons at the beginning of each episode, hosted by a classmate such as Lana or Lillie. I see Ash spending his mornings and nights at Kukui's house rather going out camping in the woods. The impression I get is that they are really trying to sell the school life (or should I say, neighborhood life) of the Pokémon world. And considering shows like Mega Man NT Warriors for example, I see little evidence that they will ditch this format anytime soon.

There's hasn't been any indication of other islands having similar schools though. I haven't heard about anything like that at least. Considering that Ash will have to go to the other Islands for his Trials, why not mention to him that sooner rather than later? If the schools are a part of the Island Trial, if he has to go to each of them for a certain length of time to graduate or anything like that, then I think that would have been brought up by now. I'm also not really sure if the BW example really fits here. Sure, there were a bunch of boats commanded by the same family of identical captains, but that didn't change really anything. Ash and his friends were still traveling, I don't think that they spent a lot of time just on the boats and they'd travel around different islands as they headed back to Kanto. It doesn't seem too similar to this situation.

I haven't seen Mega Man NT Warrior for ages, but that did make sense to focus on the neighborhood life of the characters. It was about adventures in one city with the main character and his friends. SM can't be about adventures on just one city or even just one island. That wouldn't really work with the concept of an Island Trial or the franchise in general. It has always been about going on a journey. I don't think that the school/neighborhood life really changes that. I still think it's a nice way to setup the new status quo and I think focusing on the neighborhood life kind of fits with the atmosphere of the Alola region. There was a stronger sense of community within Alola due to people throughout the games helping your trainer with the Island Trial and the fact that it was something everyone living there does help to make it more personal too. But I don't think that means that the school is going to be the backdrop to the entire series. It just feels too much of a stretch to me at this point.

These Islands are supposed to be close to each other. Satoshi (and his "companions", if they interested) can travel to there, battle and return to the school within a day. I can see him using Kaki's Charizard and Suiren's Lapras to travel there.

Ash has the capacity to travel to other islands, no one is doubting that. But to say it'll be like the classical adventure format from the past is ignoring what we are seeing right now. Ash is not camping outside like he used to. He is living with the Professor as if he was his father. Him traveling to other places does not mean that he'll somehow leave school. On the contrary, school will follow him.

Graduation is what the advertisements said. And the logical deduction when you consider how you leave school: Flunk, Drop-Out, or Graduate. It's everyone's goal suffice to say. And it's not like Ash has anything at stake of not graduating. People assume that the school thing is going to be dropped off in just a few episodes. I do not see it and considering that I've heard word that the animators were tasked to make Satoshi an actual child (rather than someone who clearly is supposed to be older than 10), I'm more inclined to believe that school will be the whole premise of the series.

I didn't say the show would have the classical adventure format. In the first place, the structure of the Alola region doesn't lend itself to that format. Alola doesn't have cities that serve as checkpoints as the character goes from A to B, and the islands' routes tend to be circular. But there will be adventure, in the sense that Ash will be leaving his hub and going to distant places.

The school will always be around, but in the background, as it is at the moment. It serves as the framework for Ash's current activities, but its narrative importance, which is really what I'm trying to drive at, has been understated in the show itself. Forget about the promotions. Look at the show itself and what they're actually doing. Characters don't sit around saying "I want to graduate from school!", or "Oh no, at this rate I'm going to flunk school!". Kukui doesn't remind Ash about the importance of his schooling whenever he talks about doing anything but going to school. For every school-based activity we've seen, we've seen just as many take place outside of it. Ash himself has said that what he wants to do is take on the trials, gather the Z-Crystals and take on Tapu Koko again.

Then look at things like the OP, where Ash introduces himself every time, yet never mentions that he is a student attending school. He doesn't mention that his goal is graduate from school life. These things are significant given that this is a show where characters state their ambitions and goals at every opportunity.

So how can school be "the whole premise of the series" when, only nine episodes in, its actual importance has already been downplayed?

I can't really rate the series as a whole with only 10 episodes, but as of right now, I'm very disappointed with how they've handled the trials so far.

Verdant Cavern trial was a disappointment by completely removing the actual trial of finding the Yungoos/Gumshoos in their burrows and then changing the main Totem battle mechanic. Why on earth did they not have Totem Gumshoos call on allies like it was supposed to? That just made the battle so much easier. As was the fact that they had Ash take on the trial using two Pokemon at once. Also, why no Illima? Why take out the actual Trial Captain?

Hala's Grand Trial was a disappointment simply for not giving Ash the Fightinium-Z. There was no reason to be given another free Electrium-Z before taking on the electric-type trial. So what if he doesn't have a Pokemon with a fighting-type move on hand right now? He should have had to wait until getting to Hokulani Observatory before getting the Electrium-Z like everyone else. Now I'm wondering if Ash will ever get a Pokemon with a fighting-type move since he didn't get Fightinium-Z after Hala's trail...

I can only help the Akala Island trials are more loyal to the games.

I didn't watch much of the series because I am waiting for the dub, did Ash get reset in this generation?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It's been pretty decent. Like how they finally switched things up a little. The new characters are fun, I'm liking Mallow,Sophocles an Togodermaru the best so far. Though I hope everyone gets to do more and not have Ash always be the "Chosen One".

Now if they could work on that English dub...

Although it's only 10 episodes in, I'm really enjoying Sun and Moon as a whole!

As someone who was turned off of XY by it's lack of light heartedness, I really love the energy that SM has so far. I like the gags and the little everyday type of adventures it's showcasing (Ash doing chores, for example, was a highlight for me. I thought it was simple and fun.) The characters have lots of personality already and have an interesting dynamic. It's fun to watch them interact, and getting background on each character through focus episodes has been great.

For me, the best part of SM has been turning Ash back into a relatable protagonist. Ash is probably my favorite character in the anime, so I've never personally wanted him replaced, but the almost obsessive admiration and him apparently having no flaws last saga was so terribly boring for me. Ash always had tons of personality, and even though it's been getting more and more watered down with each generation, XY really turned him into what felt like a cardboard cutout of his former self. As of now, we're dealing with an Ash who is goofy, a little impatient, always up for a good time, AND learning from others, while still being a competent trainer. If they can keep up that balance, I'll be very happy.

Right now, I would rate Sun and Moon an 8.5/10. If they keep it up, it will be probably my third favorite saga, coming behind OS and AG.

After what happened with XYZ, I don't believe Ash will become a Pokémon Master ever. For that I already dislike this series.

The only thing strange to me is being 10 episodes in and Ash only having Pikachu and Rowlet. Otherwise I think the start has been pretty good, a lot of it establishing the setting and getting the side characters feet wet.

Verdant Cavern trial was a disappointment by completely removing the actual trial of finding the Yungoos/Gumshoos in their burrows and then changing the main Totem battle mechanic. Why on earth did they not have Totem Gumshoos call on allies like it was supposed to? That just made the battle so much easier. As was the fact that they had Ash take on the trial using two Pokemon at once. Also, why no Illima? Why take out the actual Trial Captain?
I can't excuse the lack of Captains, but I thought the fact Ash battled the Yungoos and Gumshoos before Totem Gumshoos was the trial before the Totem battle. And the fact they made it a double battle I thought improved it from the games. Besides, Rowlet offered nothing but being a Shield in the Totem battle, which basically resulted in Pikachu vs Totem Gumshoos anyway. I don't think S.O.S was ever gonna make much sense in the anime to begin with, so I don't see that as a bad thing, when it was powerful enough as it is.

Hala's Grand Trial was a disappointment simply for not giving Ash the Fightinium-Z. There was no reason to be given another free Electrium-Z before taking on the electric-type trial. So what if he doesn't have a Pokemon with a fighting-type move on hand right now? He should have had to wait until getting to Hokulani Observatory before getting the Electrium-Z like everyone else. Now I'm wondering if Ash will ever get a Pokemon with a fighting-type move since he didn't get Fightinium-Z after Hala's trail...
Hala didn't purposely give Ash the Electrium Z, that was all Tapu Koko's doing. And for the writers, it's probably so Pikachu and Rowlet can each use a Z move rather then only one. And seeing how you also get the Steelium Z at Hokulani Observatory, I can see that being the replacement since I'm sure Ash will have something other then Pikachu that will have a Steel move. If not, I'm not gonna judge it just yet anyway since I can't tell you the staffs plans. Up to this point though, I don't have a real problem with it.

I can only help the Akala Island trials are more loyal to the games.
The show hasn't been loyal to the games since... well ever. I mean you had Gym Leaders just giving Ash badge's back during the Indigo League and since then, Gym leaders haven't even had their proper in-game teams. If you want the accurate version of the game, play the game, if you wanna see a creative process, watch the show.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom