• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would ya'll rate the Sun&Moon series as a whole so far?

7,5/10, we only need more battles, more pokemon(more episodes) and use the diffrent islands more.
Let Ash catch more pokemon, evolve them(Decidueye) during the trials with totems and before he battle his comrades and the Kahunas.

8/10

This series feels like a breath of fresh air. When I started getting back into Pokemon, it was with the Diamond and Pearl anime, which I watched in late 2012/early 2013. So later that year, after I had played a bit of the games, and the XY anime started coming out, I went to watch it. It held my attention for 5 episodes. I had only really just finished the Sinnoh series earlier in the year, and i knew the gist of the Hoenn series and the Unova series. The formula felt old to me, already even though I had only watched 3 of the full series with that formula.
So this series, with Ash going to school instead of just taking on a challenge and going on a journey, feels new and good. I have to admit, when they announced this series, I was super skeptical of it, but a. few episodes in, and I found myself really enjoying this new formula. And it's held my attention to. They just aired episode 11 and I'm still watching it (keep in mind, I also never really watch Pokemon in sub, just because I grew up with the dub) when each episode comes out. It's adorable. The characters are charming, I especially love Kukui's character (no it's not because he's hot and always shirtless. Well maybe partly because of that) and Lillie's so sweet. I just want to watch her grow and be able to love Pokemon again like she did when she was a kid. I have to say I prefer the episodes that put the focus more to Ash and his friends not just Ash, and so far they only have a few episodes that mainly focus on Ash, and by the looks of the episode titles the next few should bring more focus on the other characters.
So overall, I'm really liking this series. I'm not sure how long I'll coninue to watch it as a weekly thing, but if they keep producing good episodes, I'll keep watching.
I have to say though, I have a feeling once they come around with the next generation, I think they're going to go back to their old art style (XY and previous), and go back to that old formula, as I think the games will probably go back to the normal 8 gyms. And when that time comes in a few years, I'll be ready because it will have been a few years since they used that format, and I'll welcome it back with open arms.

I can't say I'm really fond of the idea of Ash staying at one place for the most part (Kukui's house) to serve as a hub for all of his adventures in Alola, instead of traveling on foot from place-to-place. It's a refreshing idea, but just doesn't really feel like it's much of a Pokémon Journey to me anymore.

Too slow paced for my liking so far. I think they're going for "laid back island life" but they could probably still convey that without making the story itself slow.

I like that they're giving focus episodes to Ash's classmates but I wish they'd give them more to do outside of those episodes. I'm a bit worried they bit off more than they can chew with a larger cast - they've never been that great at balancing screentime, even with the usual cast of 3 or 4.

Team Rocket has been incredible, I can see this potentially being their best series. Why haven't they been showing up more!? In the past I've sometimes thought "TR felt shoehorned into this episode", but now it's "This episode could use more TR!"

I want more Team Skull too, we've only had 2 brief appearances from them. They're hilarious in the game, why not give them more presence in a series that's supposed to be emphasizing comedy?

On that note, the comedy is good. TR is flat-out phenomenal, other than them it's not necessarily funnier than previous series, just a bit more over the top.

Overall "It's okay" is where I'm at right now. It doesn't get on my nerves like BW did but I'm jonesin' for more action and plot than we're getting right now. Hopefully the pace will pick up.

8/10, so far I'm really enjoying it. I was sceptical at first because of the artwork and Ash going to school and all that, but I'm actually really fond of the artwork now, especially the Z-Moves have some amazing animation. And it's just really hilarious, I didn't really like the humor in BW and XY, it was just too... predictable maybe? But now I laugh out loud at least once every episode, it's great, and especially got Team Rocket to thank for that.

I just hope they manage to keep this up, I'm still a bit sceptical about Ash staying in one place and not very fond of the deletion of the trials+ captains. But so far the humor and the amazing looking battles make up for that, so I have hope.

I just hope they manage to keep this up, I'm still a bit sceptical about Ash staying in one place and not very fond of the deletion of the trials+ captains. But so far the humor and the amazing looking battles make up for that, so I have hope.
They only got rid of the captains' involvement in the trials. Hala replaced Ilima for the first trial.

They only got rid of the captains' involvement in the trials. Hala replaced Ilima for the first trial.

Well they got rid of Ilima and the 'find Yungoos/Rattata' trial, which is what I meant with them getting rid of trials+captains. Hala's already the Kahuna, him also being the Trial Captain just doesn't sit well with me, it was more fun with more people involved, just like in the games. I know the anime often diverts from the games, but that doesn't mean I can't be sad about it.

I'm enjoying it. It really captures the setting well.

Edit: I misread the forum. Oops. Opinion doesn't change that much, actually.

Last edited:
So far, I'm enjoying the Pokémon Sun and Moon animé. I like how they seem to be building up to the game's story and look forward to how everything will progress.

We're like, 13 episodes in? It's great so far, but I still think it's kinda too early to rate it. So far, It doesn't meet up to XY, but it ain't bad like Unova or the other half of the OS (AKA Johto)

Given how the story in the games ends quickly, I am curious to see how the anime will stretch out. Given how the Switch is different from the 3DS, Gen 7 mayor last 4 years.

Given how the story in the games ends quickly, I am curious to see how the anime will stretch out. Given how the Switch is different from the 3DS, Gen 7 mayor last 4 years.

I wouldn't say that the storyline in the game ends quickly. It was paced pretty well for the most part and didn't feel particularly short to me. As for how they'll stretch it out, it depends on what there plans are for the rest of the trials, what they want to do with the Captains within the cast and whatever other seventh generation games will come out. They could easily incorporate more elements from other games to help keep the show going until the next generation is ready to go.

Something really important: Alola doesn't feel at all generic. There's a satisfying amount of beach, the town they are in feels very much alive and even generic forest is a generic jungle, notably different from the stock deciduous leafage we were conditioned to recognise from previous sagas!

Something really important: Alola doesn't feel at all generic. There's a satisfying amount of beach, the town they are in feels very much alive and even generic forest is a generic jungle, notably different from the stock deciduous leafage we were conditioned to recognise from previous sagas!

Whoever made the decision to set this generation of Pokemon in a tropical paradise really nailed it. Alola feels like an actual world where life takes place outside of what Ash is doing.

I know people miss the adventure aspect but in keeping the characters in one place for a while they're able to show more of this world. Now we have recurring characters like Kukui and subplots like Team Rocket/Bewear and Litten/Stoutland without worrying about the traveling.

Whoever made the decision to set this generation of Pokemon in a tropical paradise really nailed it. Alola feels like an actual world where life takes place outside of what Ash is doing.

Being a sucker for the tropics I am really enjoying the scenery.

in my Opinion whats the problem to make shool work together with league(trials)? he can visit the areas and come back for shool, in that time it can happen that he becomes aware that his team mates are the trial captains and that the unofficial Alolan league becomes a official one with 8 badges.

in my Opinion whats the problem to make shool work together with league(trials)? he can visit the areas and come back for shool, in that time it can happen that he becomes aware that his team mates are the trial captains and that the unofficial Alolan league becomes a official one with 8 badges.
There never will be an 8-badge system in Alola. Not even the games had it, and the anime usually sticks to the core basics.

The Trials are basically the Alola version of Gyms, so getting enough Z Crystals is akin to getting enough badges to qualify for the region's League. Whenever they introduce the Alola League, which I'm positive they will due to how it fits in with the games' storyline, it won't involve the standard eight Gym badges. It might depend on either the number of Z Crystals or just consist of people who have completed the Island Trial over the years in Alola.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom