• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would ya'll rate the Sun&Moon series as a whole so far?

There never will be an 8-badge system in Alola. Not even the games had it, and the anime usually sticks to the core basics.

we don't even know if there will not be a 3 game... 7 trial captains are oficcially revealed and the kahunas are not a official league, Im interested in what direction they want to go, becuse I loved the amount of battles in past generations.

we don't even know if there will not be a 3 game... 7 trial captains are oficcially revealed and the kahunas are not a official league, Im interested in what direction they want to go, becuse I loved the amount of battles in past generations.
Uh only 2 kahunas became E4. Also, I doubt Kukui would completely "modernize" Alola, as it's still really unique compared to other regions.

Also, the first trial and grand trial has been done by Ash, and there has been no badge, so the 8 badge system has been ruled out for the Alolan anime.

This is getting kinda off topic, so I might as well say that, 16 episodes in, the Alolan arc isn't doing as bad as I thought. The first 2 episodes weren't my favorite, thus giving me a rough start, but everything else was really fine. I mean, who here expected Ash to catch Rockruff?

I think so far the things that are starting to annoy me with this series is the constant overuse of slapstick on Ash and the face gags. Its gotten so repetitive seeing him being tossed around like a ragdoll. Seeing over the top Jojo-esque facial expressions in Pokemon also is not only very weird and out of place, but it just isn't that funny.

Uh only 2 kahunas became E4. Also, I doubt Kukui would completely "modernize" Alola, as it's still really unique compared to other regions.

Also, the first trial and grand trial has been done by Ash, and there has been no badge, so the 8 badge system has been ruled out for the Alolan anime.

This is getting kinda off topic, so I might as well say that, 16 episodes in, the Alolan arc isn't doing as bad as I thought. The first 2 episodes weren't my favorite, thus giving me a rough start, but everything else was really fine. I mean, who here expected Ash to catch Rockruff?
for now but that may change too in future episodes.
The battles need to take place.

Rockruff was my dream, he rather never had a fast rock type, that will be quite interesting.

for now but that may change too in future episodes.
The battles need to take place.

Rockruff was my dream, he rather never had a fast rock type, that will be quite interesting.
But if they were to add gyms they should have done that at the start. Now that the trials are being done it's too late to add it into the anime.

But if they were to add gyms they should have done that at the start. Now that the trials are being done it's too late to add it into the anime.

Gyms are not in the games, so why should they be in the anime?

they would be still called trials becuse of traditions but done like gyms with a league.
The captains would be chosen by the league.

they would be still called trials becuse of traditions but done like gyms with a league.

They can still have Trials and a League without incorporating Gyms into the mix. While I'd be fine if the next generation brings back the Gym format, I think putting traditional Gyms in Alola would kind of take away how unique and fresh it is. The Trials are basically Gyms except you only battle Pokemon instead of the trainers, but it adds a lot more to the experience and the region to have something besides Gyms. In the same vein, the anime using Gyms instead of Trials would kind of miss out on the Island Trials work and how it ties in with the Alola region.

As I said, it's too late to start adding badges as Ash had already started collecting the Z-Crystals. Adding them midway through the anime would be unnecessary. Also, don't forget that Ash's main goal besides the trials is to graduate from the Pokemon School, so adding badges would not help either of those accomplishments.

Also, don't forget that Ash's main goal besides the trials is to graduate from the Pokemon School, so adding badges would not help either of those accomplishments.

why not? we got orange island in the anime.
I know Z crystals are important but they could represent badges or they could create something that way, we even dont know if a third game is coming , maybe there they will intrude badges and a league and then give it into anime or reversed, first show in anime and then in game or corelate it somehow.

They can still have Trials and a League without incorporating Gyms into the mix. While I'd be fine if the next generation brings back the Gym format, I think putting traditional Gyms in Alola would kind of take away how unique and fresh it is. The Trials are basically Gyms except you only battle Pokemon instead of the trainers, but it adds a lot more to the experience and the region to have something besides Gyms. In the same vein, the anime using Gyms instead of Trials would kind of miss out on the Island Trials work and how it ties in with the Alola region.

Yes good point, but maybe some trials could go into a unoficial tournament direction. He battles (7) trial captains and 4 kahunas in the games for sake. That is one captain less, that smells kind of fishy or not?

why not? we got orange island in the anime.
I know Z crystals are important but they could represent badges or they could create something that way, we even dont know if a third game is coming , maybe there they will intrude badges and a league and then give it into anime or reversed, first show in anime and then in game or corelate it somehow.

Z Crystals basically are badges already in the games. I assume it's similar in the show since Z Crystals are a sign that one has passed a trial. While it wouldn't be impossible for a new game set in Alola to introduce the standard badges and League, I'm not sure what would be the point of doing so. Trials are basically Gyms as they are and the League we got in the game was pretty typical, aside from how we actually met almost all of the Elite 4 during the Island Trial, so I'm not sure what players would gain from getting traditional Gyms in Alola. Plus, I feel like that would take away from Alola's uniqueness if they just threw in Gyms in the next game. I don't mind the traditional Gym format and I'd be fine with returning to it later one, but I'd prefer that happening in another region rather than doing that in Alola.

Matleo said:
Yes good point, but maybe some trials could go into a unoficial tournament direction. He battles (7) trial captains and 4 kahunas in the games for sake. That is one captain less, that smells kind of fishy or not?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here about something smelling fishy. If you're saying that the trials could become mini tournaments, like maybe something along the lines of the Club Battle tournaments in BW, then I don't really see that happening. The trials are about battling against other Pokemon, so throwing in battles with other trainers doesn't seem like it would fit with how trials were done in the games. I know that the show does its own thing and that's fine, but if they just want Ash to battle more trainers, they could just as easily set up a mini tournament outside of the trials for Ash to participate in. That would possibly be a better choice since his friends could also participate in said tournament. Granted, it might be tricky to pull off if they rushed through the matches, especially when there are a lot of characters in the cast now, but I think that idea would work better than just turning some of the trials into an unofficial tournament.

I've got a lot to say, but I'll try to keep it brief.

To be quite honest, I'm bored. 18 episodes in an nothing much has really happened. We've had one Trial, one Grand Trial, and Ash has been expanding his team, but that's pretty much it. He rarely does anything Z-Move related except once in a blue moon, nothing really "plot related" has been developing outside of the Litten situation, Team Skull has showed up like 3 times and done nothing note worthy, and overall, it's been pretty dull thus far. Ash rarely even has much focus in school despite that being one of the main elements of this series.

Obviously the biggest issue is that they're having to focus on 6 different human characters, all of the main cast's Pokemon, Rotom Dex and even some wild Pokemon, which means everything is being divided several different ways. And honestly, this is the main reason why I don't like having such a big cast. Sun and Moon have such an amazing plot and several great fun elements, and very few of those have been translated into the anime so far. I hope things pick up soon once Ash leaves Melemele.

Actually, that's another huge issue. I think Ash has long overstayed his welcome on Melemele. After beating Hala, everything important on Melemele has been completed. Nearly everything that's happened since that point 8 episodes ago has been filler. Ash needs to head over to Akala and continue with the Island Challenge already.

18 episodes in an nothing much has really happened.

I keep seeing this comment. It's a complete misconception:

Ash has caught two Pokemon and is close to a third
He's got two Z-Crystals and has cleared a Grand Trial
He's involved in two recurring plots with Tapu Koko and Litten
Lillie received an egg, the egg hatched and now she has a Pokemon
Lillie has taken forward steps in overcoming her phobia
Team Rocket have caught a Pokemon each
Team Rocket have made a base
Mallow's Bounsweet has evolved

If you go and compare it to other season's, Alola is actually equivalent in terms of number of Pokemon caught on the main cast and number of "badges" acquired. In terms of character storylines it's actually ahead of other seasons.

I should also point out that none of the other season's had incorporated any of their game's plot by this point, either. Team Galactic, Team Plasma and Team Flare didn't appear at all within the first 18 episodes of those seasons. Team Magma appeared once.

Yes good point, but maybe some trials could go into a unoficial tournament direction. He battles (7) trial captains and kahunas in the games for sake.

that would be waste of battle potential, I dont say make gyms but make trials more battle from trainer to trainer and not only totems.

we have to many characters , to much small talk and not much battles lately. that is a down fall.

How can his pokes evolve without batttles? or they want to slow down first and make this season longer like they did with Johto in past.

Yes good point, but maybe some trials could go into a unoficial tournament direction. He battles (7) trial captains and kahunas in the games for sake.

that would be waste of battle potential, I dont say make gyms but make trials more battle from trainer to trainer and not only totems.

we have to many characters , to much small talk and not much battles lately. that is a down fall.

How can his pokes evolve without batttles? or they want to slow down first and make this season longer like they did with Johto in past.

I wouldn't mind more trainer battles, but I feel like incorporating them into the trials would kind of go against what the trials are about. I said before that I liked the idea of Ash battling the Captains as part of the trials, but at the same time, that would possibly make them too similar to Gyms. They can still have more trainer battles without adding them into the Trials. Battling against Totem Pokemon is still considered a battle, so I don't see the issue of just having the trials being about the Totem Pokemon. I'm sure that we'll get more battles as the series progresses.

I have to admit my first reaction upon seeing the initial trailers was, "Please...is this a joke?"

BUT once you get past the odd artwork and the different direction, I think it's a pretty good series so far. Not quite as good as X&Y or the original Kanto series, but still much better than I thought it was going to be. It feels like a nice change in many ways from the original format, keeping in with the lack of Gyms in the games.

I wouldn't mind more trainer battles, but I feel like incorporating them into the trials would kind of go against what the trials are about. I said before that I liked the idea of Ash battling the Captains as part of the trials, but at the same time, that would possibly make them too similar to Gyms. They can still have more trainer battles without adding them into the Trials. Battling against Totem Pokemon is still considered a battle, so I don't see the issue of just having the trials being about the Totem Pokemon. I'm sure that we'll get more battles as the series progresses.
ok, but some kind of tournament would really be needed by now, trials and Z stones are nice, but we have no pokemon master goal yet, no concrete rivals, thats ... I like the artwork , i like the new style, but give us the old good battles back on track, I really would like Captains to start to play a important role or maybe they wait till Ash catches enough pokemon , evolves them (2 fully evolved starters ; hope for incineroar and deciduey) and captains too , to make better battles.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom