• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Where do you get your games from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
The title says it all... where do you guys tend to get your games from? Are you loyal to one store or website in particular, or do you simply go wherever the best deals happen to be at the time?

For Nintendo games, I typically get them at places like Best Buy or Target, given that they rarely go down drastically in price like PS/Xbox or third-party games do. Also, I can have the game in my hands immediately instead of waiting for a delivery person to arrive, which is quite satisfying.

As for everything else - especially games that are out-of-print or otherwise hard-to-find - I get them almost exclusively from Amazon, where the prices are usually reasonable, if not flat-out awesome (versus big-box stores that sell year-old PS4 games for $60). No Amazon Prime, though... I don't buy enough from them to make the cost worthwhile.

And on the rare ocassions that I buy digitally... I'm not really partial to anyone. That said, I've bought games from both Steam and GOG.com before, and I do have somewhat of a soft spot for the latter for bringing some classic games back into availability. That's for PC games, of course... for console games, I'll download them directly from a first-party source (like the Nintendo eShop, for instance) versus somewhere like Amazon.

Generally PlayAsia.com since I usually get them in Japanese (or one JPN one American version if it's Pokemon).

As for older games that arent available there I go to eBay. Digital it's whatever platform they come on (so I have a bunch of crap like Steam, Origin, Impulse, Uplay on my poor laptop).

I usually get my games from Amazon, GameStop, Steam, and the eShop

I do not consider myself "loyal" to one store but as I have a limited travel radius (i.e. no car) and only one relevant store within 30 miles of here, plus a clear preference for physical copies over digital, a Fred Meyer has to suffice.

I generally buy my games at GameStop. Sometimes I'll buy games off of the Playstation Network Store though, which is about the extent to which I'm willing to buy digital copies.

Usually Amazon. It's a great way to have the game get to my house when it's released without having to go out after work to pick it up. Saves me an extra trip, and since I'd be at work anyway it's not as if I'd be going out early to get the game/be able to play it until after.

I will sometimes get games from Gamestop though due to them having better prices at times.

Besides that when I thought my PS4 was glitching, always spitting out the physical games (turned out it was just the cable box under the system causing it to overheat and release the games which has since been fixed by getting a new cable box) I'd buy my PS4 games off the PSN store.

Almost always from Gamestop. They let me reserves and pay for games over time instead of all at once.

Sometimes Amazon when they have a vita game I want that isn't sold in brick and mortar stores.

Very rarely PSN if there is a really really good sale. I dislike digital games so it doesn't happen often

I usually get my games from Gamestop or Amazon if it's for an older console.

Toys R Us or Gamestop. Depends who has the best pre-order items or has the best deals on what they are trying to get rid of.

Best Buy... er, I used to go there but most of the stuff I buy there comes with something wrong with it. So the top two I mentioned are where I tend to go. Amazon is a last decision choice because while Amazon is good, sometimes I want something right away and I don't want to wait for shipping. I have shopped on Amazon for amazing deals on consoles and games, so if it beats all of the above, I'll go with not getting it right away for the chance of saving $60-$300.

Generally Amazon for physical copies, thanks to the convenience factor. Sometimes Best Buy since my mom has their Gamer Discount thing too. eBay is the place to go for old games, but there is a 2nd and Charles secondhand store that sometimes has some old games at good prices in my area. PlayAsia is nice for imports, but I've only ever used it for JPN PSN cards for Gundam EXVS Full Boost DLC.

Occasionally I'll get full games off PS Store for both PS3 and PS4, though I'm an old timer who likes my physical copies haha and mainly I just get PSone (occasionally PS2, but not many of my faves are on PS Store yet) classics digitally. Though I have been coming around lately with how convenient digital copies are. For Nintendo stuff, I only eShop it for Virtual Console stuff. Not enough hard drive space on the Wii U for full downloads, and I don't like dealing with external memory.

Can't say I really have a specific place in mind, usually. Though often, when it comes to N3DS games, there's a Target that's most convenient for me. GameStop and Fred Meyer could also be considered my main stores when purchasing other consoles.

I've also used Game Trader and Game Star for purchasing older/used games, often for spending my store credit that I earn for turning in games I don't enjoy or no longer play.

And of course, when it comes to PC games, Steam and GOG are generally the way to go.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do use Amazon quite often as well when it's convenient, usually for older games - but in "New" or or "Like New" condition as much as possible - that may not always be immediately accessible right away.

Last edited:
Most of my games are older, and thus from Ebay, although EB Games has some good deals for secondhand as well. In fact the only two games I bought on the release date were Pokémon Y and FE Fates Conquest.

For PC games I use Steam.
For 3ds games, I used to go a small electronic chain. However it went bankrupt, and was taken over by a bigger chain that doesn't sell Nintendo games. Now I have to, go to Gamestop which is more expensive.

Usually GameStop, but I have gotten a few things on Steam before.

I will go to eBay or Amazon if the game is for an outdated console like GameCube, GBA, etc.

GameStop, Walmart, PSN store, and sometimes Amazon. I buy wherever is the most convenient for me honestly. Or wherever I see those magical words "sale" and "clearance".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom