• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which language Ash speaks in each region?

Reaction score
I found myself wondering if Ash always speaks the same language in all regions (theoretically Japanese) or if he speaks English in Unova/Hawaii and French(Kalosian) in Kalos.

I noticed that in Alola Rotom makes an explicit reference to there being different languages:
"Language selection completed."
"Many different languages are built in the Rotom Dex!"

Then Ash makes an exclamation that Rotom cannot understand.
"Meaning Unknown. Meaning Unknown. Meaning Unknown."
"Sathoshi said your abilities are wonderful and he's impressed."
"'That's awesome' means 'That's wonderful'"
(Now, I can't really understand the word he says in Japanese, so I can't google it. 'Suke' maybe?)

Some episodes later, Ash has trouble remembering a word.
"Depending on the en... environmental? I don't think it's environmental."

Maybe this are clues that Ash is not talking his first language in Alola.

I doubt there's much in it in reality, but I think it is an interesting question for sure! To add to the mix are the different dialects/slangs sometimes used; and what about the times when characters liberally sprinkle foreign words into their dialogue?!

P.S. Can someone who knows American English enlighten me on Ash's accent?

I haven't watched GEN4 and GEN5 anime, was that too far away from Unova to be a reference to them moving there?

and what about the times when characters liberally sprinkle foreign words into their dialogue?!

This is used in Yuri!!! On Ice to make people understand that the characters are talking in English.
(Though many English words have entered actual Japanese)

Last edited:
Nothing in Musashi's dialogue in that episode (or anyone else's dialogue in any other episode) suggests that.

Japanese version of Pokémon, that's why English should be a foreign language, especially considering the context in which English is a foreign language to the people writing the dialogues of the anime.

Japanese, obviously.

Also, in the episode of Diamond & Pearl where Takeshi catches his Gureggru Musashi mentions that she needs to study English, indicating that "English" as a concept exists and that it's considered a foreign language to the characters in this show.
That was before BW, you know. The games made a point of people in Unova and Kalos talking differently, but the anime didn't.

Last edited:
Ash would speak Japanese.

I'm also guessing he'd have learned basic communication for each regions before travelling and had a bilingual traveling companion in each region to interpret for him in certain situations he'd doesn't understand. Cilan seems to be the person who'd learn a dozen different languages for the sake of being a Language Sommelier or something. As for Kalos, Serena attended Oak's Camp when she was younger so she'd probably know Japanese. Ash would know how to speak English since he traveled Unova, though he may not be as fluent as his Alolan friends. That's just my thoughts, though.

Last edited:
That was before BW, you know. The games made a point of people in Unova and Kalos talking differently, but the anime didn't.

As I was saying in the opening post, it seems that the Alola anime might actually be making that point subtly. The existence of several languages is canon.
I haven't watched the BW anime, so I can't really tell what hints might be there, but I don't think that not pointing it out that Ash was speaking another language is an absolute fact against him being speaking English in Unova. I can see how, since Ash keeps speaking japanese in the original dub because you can't really subtitle the whole show and the show is aimed at kids, pointing it out would only confuse them. It is quite normal, when X country does a story set in Y country, for people to speak X language while everybody knows that they are actually speaking Y language in universe.

Of course I know, it is evident that he can have problems with his native language, but still as a kid he can also not have such problems and can also know multiple languages. Beside, I wasn't basing my argument on that only, but on it just being a possibility as a result of a combination of elements, not a single one.

You mean Rotomdex mentioning different languages? Okay, but that hasn't been demonstrated.

If Ash had to use a different language in Alola, the difficulties would be apparent.

I don't understand how different languages being there is not demonstrated, it is in the dialogue.

Difficulties really depend on the level of Ash's potential English which we really don't know, he could potentially speak rather good english for conversations between kids, and anime wouldn't focus on it so much, given that is aimed at children with Ash still dubbed as the language of the viewers.
Alola's language would also be Unova's language following real world geography, so it's too late to make a big deal out of it.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom