• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which made you more upset; May losing to Dawn (Wallace Cup) or Dawn losing to Zoey (Grand Festival)?

Which was the bigger disappointment?

• Dawn beating May

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Zoey beating Dawn at the GF

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters
Re: Which made you more upset; May losing to Dawn (Wallace Cup) or Dawn losing to Zoe

May losing to Dawn, since I love May to death and she lost to one of my least favorite characters. :[ Not to mention that at that moment May had far more experience than Dawn did. I wasn't heartbroken or anything, lol, but I was disappointed, even if Dawn did deserve the win.

Re: Which made you more upset; May losing to Dawn (Wallace Cup) or Dawn losing to Zoe

May losing to Dawn. It was all for the sake of the current plot but still, Is should have been May that got the victory. I'm not surprised Dawn lost to Zoe, I guess they're not ready to give us a champion yet. Both are justifiable, but as far as I care in terms of fandom. May's loss bothered me the most.

Neither really were shocking to me. During the Wallace Cup I wasn't the big Dawn fan (lol) I am today and I hardly know May so it was a regular match to me. While the Grand Festival in the back of my head I knew the writers wouldn't let Dawn win I was disappointed that she never beat Zoey. That upset me more then Dawn actually losing her Grand Festival, but I am happy she made it to the finals of her first one.

Whe May lost to Dawn, I was upset. And not for nostalgia May-fangirl reasons, either.

You would think at this point May would be a much better coordinator than Dawn, but instead, she kept spamming the same two moves.

Neither made me upset. I wanted to Dawn to win against May, and she did. The battle itself was pretty nice. As for the GF, while I wanted Dawn to win, I thought that it would have been cheap if she won her first GF. So I was happy with the output that Zoey won the trophy and title of Top Coordinator since Dawn did dodge the "Total Mary Sue" bullet from that one.

the whole "experience" thing doesn't really count, so what if Dawn only had one ribbon when she won against May, May got her first ribbon off a co-ordinator who had three ribbons and even in the anime they mentioned that experience doesn't always count.

Since I have not watched much of DP I can't really coment but May really only did lose by rule of plot, May could have easily won if she decided to use her powerhouse rather than Glaceon but it was to debut the Gen IV pokemon. besides a battle can go either (not descrediting Dawn's skill) Who unlike May does not follow Ash's skill of battling. I understand that and experience counts for nothing since Ash beat Brandon and Paul can't beat Brandon but can beat Ash quite easily and what makes everyone think that Dawn is leaving, not beating Zoey is another reason why Dawn may not be leaving so soon. Either that or the writers think that Dawn can never beat Zoey.

However for Dawn's first GF to be the runner up is amazing even for May her sencond GF she was only top 4. (Maybe Sinnoh coordinators can't beat Kanto and Hoen coordinators...)

Dawn's really cool and all, but her winnig against May was pretty messed up IMHO. May had more experience and she simply did not deserve to lose. Although I do also think Dawn should have beat Zoey as well.

Both upset me. Zoey beating Dawn upset me more, though, because I can't stand Zoey and she seriously didn't deserve it.

Ditto.

Most of the time battles don't have anything to with experience.Ask any gym leader.

Yes, that was a huge disappointment to me due to how much experience she has gained... I think some plot twists are being too overdone. :-(

Sincerelly felt bothered when Dawn beat May, i though i didnt have much logic.

Dawn vs Zoey was a normal match i always though Zoey was better but Dawn was catching up to her so it was a tossup and i wouldnt be bothered with either winning, plus like i said i think Zoey was better so she deserved it more.

May losing to Dawn.
that was the failest most fake piece of crap I have ever seen.

Dawn losing to Zoey actually made sense, and if Dawn actually beat Zoey, I would lose complete faith in the writers, what's left of course hehe.

May losing to Dawn was just a really bad way to piss me off ):
I've been over it now, but grgrgrgrgrgrggrgrgr.

Dawn beating May; I think May really deserved that victory more than Dawn did.

Anyone know what IMHO means. Zoey beating Dawn probably means that Dawn may still be staying on for Isshu so that she can beat her in the next GF and maybe May will come back and be her Dawn's rival too and finally win the GF of isshu that would be epic.

IMHO means in my honest opinion.

May losing to Dawn. So unfair. Oh well.
Seriously, though. Dawn's losing to Zoey was practically a given from my viewpoint (I know most people don't feel that way, there's no need to tell me that), so I wasn't too fussed.

Neither. They were both done because that's what the writers intended to do.

On second thought, Dawn losing to Zoey means we will likely never see it happen. Yes, I know that it would have meant that Dawn would've would the GF, but that's why I kinda wish their battle could have happened earlier in the tournament.

May losing to Dawn. May had more experience than Dawn had at contests so I was expecting May to win. Dawn is a good coordinator but I think she didn't enough experience, at the time, to beat May.

Maybe someday Dawn and May could battle each other again.

Last edited:

May losing to Dawn. May had more experience than Dawn had at contests so I was expecting May to win. Dawn is a good coordinator but I think she didn't enough experience, at the time, to beat May.

Maybe someday Dawn and May could battle each other again.

they've already said it in the anime, that experience doesn't count.

“Experience doesn’t count”

This has been said many times and also confirmed to be true while dealing with the anime. If everything did go along with the rules of experience trumps rookies then every single match would more than likely be predictable. Most of the matches have to do with plot and I have been thinking a few things over. Similar to my thread about Pikachu vs. Regice, I was thinking about how farfetched it was that Pikachu single-handily beat the legendary golem in one move. Then someone mentioned that Regice was newly captured (not to mention it was sealed in a legendary resting place for centuries) and probably did not have the experience that Pikachu did in actual combat.

So, it relates to how Glaceon was newly evolved (not to mention hatched from an egg as May’s last Pokemon in the AG series). Piplup was Dawn’s starter and was put into some intense matches like against its evolved form, numerous TR fights, used against wild Pokemon so Dawn could catch them, fought in the Tag Battle tournament and against other trainers such as the tough twin trainers (the ones with Quilava and Crocanaw). Compared to Eevee; against Brock’s Marshtomp in a contest final and in a GF match against Harley, not to mention it was newly evolved so it needed more practice in its new form for great appeals in a contest. So, in a sense I am mentioning experience in terms of how it relates to the plot.

Glaceon’s ice type moves do little against Piplup (Ice Shard is
a physical move which is not good since it does not have high Att. power, Secret Power is also a physical move), Shadow Ball should have done a good amount of damage. Mirror Coat reflects Whirlpool, but it has a descent special defense so even at double power Piplup should not have taken as much damage.
I just think that May should have picked any other Pokemon besides Piplup (even Munchlax!) to have made this a better contest battle.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom