• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of Ash’s Pokemon should Tobias’ Darkrai have been beaten by?

Which Pokemon should have battled?

• Total voters

Paulisthebest

"Ursaring, standby for battle!"
Reaction score
Basically, if there was a battle between just ONE of Ash’s Pokemon with Darkrai who should it have been and why?

In the theme for SLV, it was Buizel vs. the Dark legend. To me it should have been Pikachu, Buizel or Infernape. Mainly for the reason of the Counter Shield, just think about why Ash came up with the technique in the first place; to deflect/protect from Fantina’s Sleep inducing Pokemon. Darkrai’s signature move is Dark Void which puts opponents to sleep. It would have been great to see Counter Shield cancel out the move because if it does then 2 of Darkrai’s moves are put out of commission. Dark Void wouldn’t work against Counter Shield and Dream Eater will be ineffective. So, the only moves it could use are Ice Beam and Dark Pulse.

If Buizel battled like that Ice Beam could give it Ice Aqua Jet and the only move it would need to worry about it Dark Pulse.

Pikachu vs. Darkrai would be cool because I liked its brief but awesome battle with a Darkrai in The Rise of Darkrai.

Infernape is an excellent choice because it can create a Counter Shield and an attack at the same time. In the past, Flame Wheel could be used while firing out Flamethrower in the form of flame whips to distract opponents while Flame Wheel strikes. However, it could now be used with Flare Blitz which is far more powerful; the only downside is the recoil. Not to mention, Mach Punch is a priority move that strikes first and is super effective. Dig could be used to buy sometime along with using the Underground Flare Blitz, not to mention being able to strike without Darkrai knowing where it will pop out at. Finally, Dark Pulse is not very effective or Ice Beam also if it does get frozen Flare Blitz could unfreeze it.

Which Pokemon do you think Ash should use one of his Counter Shield users or another of his Pokemon? I think most people would think about Charizard, Sceptile, Heracross, etc.

Out of all the Pokemon that came back in Diamond and Pearl, Charizard should have been the one to come back, it is clearly ash's most popular Pokemon and would have been some great fan service, and its hold its own against legendaries before.

Id have to say Sceptile: best speed/power ratio within his team. Charizard is incredible too, but too slow, pikachu cant take enough hits, infernape is too recent, maybe bulbasaur, but granted it would have evolved to ivysaur, and perhaps staraptor.

I would vote for Torterra. The poor pokemon never got a single win against anything other than Team rocket after it evolved. It needed some spotlight.

Some good answers guys, Charizard and Sceptile seem to be in a heated match for who should have battled.

Pikachu would be good but against Latios it was a good match up especially based off of the team Ash was using.

Sceptile has great speed but its move set could be a bit better, Charizard isn't a slouch when it comes to speed it can fly after all but Sceptile may have a higher speed despite not flying. Hopefully, since BF it should have a higher variety of moves in its arsenal I would have loved to see Blast Burn debuted in the anime by Charizard.

I think I made a thread before about which Pokemon that Ash should have used against Tobias in the 6 on 6; Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile, Snorlax, Heracross and Swellow were my top 6 if I remember correctly.

Remember against Harrison's Hypno Dream Eater woke up Snorlax and it was PISSED it Hyper Beam-ed the Psychic type out of the match lol

Torterra needed the spotlight before the series ended, but I would say Darkrai wouldn't be the best choice of opponents to give him the win over especially since Ice Beam does x4 damage on the Continent Pokemon.

Infernape because it's half fighting!
And Buizel it's pretty fast and has saome strong moves!

I would love Bulbasaur to! smart and powerful!

Bulbasaur would be an interesting choice as would Squirtle.

Leech Seed would be a deadly weapon and I'm sure that it has some new moves that could do some real damage hopefully it does because in its last appearance it knew nothing but Grass moves; Leech Seed, Vine Whip, Razor Leaf and Solarbeam. However even with just that line up it took out 2 of Brandon's Pokemon

There is no doubt in my mind that Snorlax, Charizard, and Sceptile could beat Darkrai. Snorlax because he has a rather high hp and would fair better in a battle to where Darkrai slowly decomposes. Then you have Charizard who even defeated an Articuno as well fought against a fake Entei created through the will of one's mind. Sceptile obviously was able to defeat Darkrai as witnessed in the TV series.

Any fully evolved Pokemon starter holds quite a chance. So, I have to say that it could as well be Torterra and Infernape too. If Ash were to borrow Gary's Aerodactyl, then that Pokemon could fair well.

Pikachu should be able to defeat a Darkrai, especially when the last Frontier Battle was taken into consideration.

Psh.

Ash could defeat Darkrai himself.
If he can survive being turned to stone against Mewtwo, then I have no doubt he'd be able to withstand Darkrai.

There is no doubt in my mind that Snorlax, Charizard, and Sceptile could beat Darkrai. Snorlax because he has a rather high hp and would fair better in a battle to where Darkrai slowly decomposes. Then you have Charizard who even defeated an Articuno as well fought against a fake Entei created through the will of one's mind. Sceptile obviously was able to defeat Darkrai as witnessed in the TV series.

Any fully evolved Pokemon starter holds quite a chance. So, I have to say that it could as well be Torterra and Infernape too. If Ash were to borrow Gary's Aerodactyl, then that Pokemon could fair well.

Pikachu should be able to defeat a Darkrai, especially when the last Frontier Battle was taken into consideration.

Psh.

Ash could defeat Darkrai himself.
If he can survive being turned to stone against Mewtwo, then I have no doubt he'd be able to withstand Darkrai.

Ash takes Pikachu's Volt Tackle and Thunderbolts like nothing, he jumps in front of attacks for the sake of being reckless (even though he sees it as saving a Pokemon from injury). Not to mention being like the Joker on Batman and escaping death at every corner. It wouldn't have surprised me that in the un-aired TP vs. TR. episodes Ash did something death defying for the good of the Pokemon.

Pikachu, Sceptile and Charizard all have great speed however it was ridiculous how Tobias' Pokemon all dodged Quick Attack from Pikachu, Swellow and Sceptile.

Snorlax it has been said many times that it could do great since it does have a high Special Defense (well in the games anyway). If Ash's had Thick Fat not that would make things that much harder for Darkrai.

Ash's Torterra if it mixed up its moves in combos I can see it winning. Like Rock Climb to lift it towards the sky for a faster Synthesis recovery, swallowing Energy Ball for extra power and Leaf Storm is really good for major damage.

Charizard for reasons of epicness

Misty herself said it was unfair that Ash had a Charizard that he used a lot. :p Brock declared that most Pokemon don't stand a chance against a Charizard (even if he got frozen by a Poliwrath...^ ^; ).

So yes, Charizard is a definite answer. xD

I never really cared for those comments that Misty and Brock made in that episode because it wasn't right for them to say that.

I think that if you raise a Pokemon then you have every right to use it in combat, however as a trainer it is necessary to assess the opponent that you're facing. Like against Casey who just began her journey in Johto, I don't think Ash should have used a Charizard against a trainer that had a starter fresh from the lab as well as 2 other under-experienced Pokemon against a fully evolved fire Pokemon.

Tobias' Darkrai is another example, yes he caught and raised it but to use a legendary of that power in a tournament and winning is kind of cheap in my eyes. One of the few times I agree with one of Barry's fines; "No one ever told me a trainer like that would be here, I'm going to fine somebody!!"

Overall, Charizard got frozen by an opponent that is even with it; Poliwrath is a Water type that is super effective over Fire types but at the same time a fighting type who is weak to a flying type so a Water/Fighting vs. Fire/Flying is a even match up.

I never really cared for those comments that Misty and Brock made in that episode because it wasn't right for them to say that.

I think that if you raise a Pokemon then you have every right to use it in combat, however as a trainer it is necessary to assess the opponent that you're facing. Like against Casey who just began her journey in Johto, I don't think Ash should have used a Charizard against a trainer that had a starter fresh from the lab as well as 2 other under-experienced Pokemon against a fully evolved fire Pokemon.

Tobias' Darkrai is another example, yes he caught and raised it but to use a legendary of that power in a tournament and winning is kind of cheap in my eyes. One of the few times I agree with one of Barry's fines; "No one ever told me a trainer like that would be here, I'm going to fine somebody!!"

Overall, Charizard got frozen by an opponent that is even with it; Poliwrath is a Water type that is super effective over Fire types but at the same time a fighting type who is weak to a flying type so a Water/Fighting vs. Fire/Flying is a even match up.

OK, you have Chimchar who was frozen with Ash and Co., but was able to manage to melt the ice in a matter of seconds. Then you have Charizard who went against a water type and got frozen. If the attack was in fact an ice attack (I should probably go back to that episode...), Charizard who is bigger and a lot powerful in comparison should have been able to unfreeze quickly. But instead, it turned into Ash at his hands and knees, tending to Charizard all he can to unfroze him through a whole entire night.

Either there is some sort of mistake or it turns out that a simple Chimchar can out do a Charizard.

Charizard weak against water...PSH
Type advantage doesn't matter xD
Otherwise Gary would have owned in the Silver Conference with his Blastoise.

And then you have Pikachu who can break from ice with lightning bolt although electrics are weak against ice.

Which episode are you referring to when Chimchar and Comp. were frozen?

Type is in the eye of the beholder or in the case of the anime the plot. True, Charizard has proven time after time that water does not and will not slow it down. Though its wings have been damaged or frozen on more than one occasion. It is a Pokemon that knows how to get out of a difficult situation.

I think that Pikachu busting out of the ice was nothing more than the anime demonstrating the bond between Ash and Pikachu like when Ash had that montage of memories with Charizard and Bulbasaur were both confused he talked about the times they've been through and then they magically broke out of their status aliments, like Pikachu busting out of the ice.

Electric are weak against Ice??

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom