• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of main character goals so far strike out to you as most unique?

Which of main character goals so far strike out to you as most unique?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pokemon fan 132

pokemon fan 132
Reaction score
There have been many main characters with all kind of goals.Some were more focused than others but that doesn't matter not being point in here,loving to hear which ones stand out to you as most outstanding.

Poll is multioptional.

Here is my view on it:
-Ash's goal of becoming pokemon master is one of most knowing characteristics about his character but it never strike out to me as something very special.His journey across the regions,battling gyms and competing in leagues is something which serves as driving force of this show to keep people interested and from what its known about it it involves someone becoming best trainer out there.
Its fun and diverse but for me it doesn't contain required unpredictability having that aura of relatively unexplored concept.

-May and Dawn basically strive for same goals but their contest careers never left much of an impact to me with their profession being quite common in pokemon world not having that dash of mysteriousity to view it as something special.However i did enjoyed in their arcs alot.

-Tracey's profession of being pokemon sketcher and desire to meet professor Oak seemed interesting and was something new not being seen before but unfotunately writers dumped him quickly not being able to develop some interest for it.

-goal of becoming water pokemon master Misty strive for some may say how it was "too similar to Ash's"but as it was showed that was more false than true with their dreams following different format of tasks someone would need to achieve not being complex or requiring huge set ups like Ash's goal does.
Her dream of becoming water master is unique to me because of her passionate love for water type(no one has been adamant about it like she was) striving to learn everything she can about it,catch as many as she can wanting to become best in world overcoming all weakness and disadvantages water pokemon may have which is anything but easy task.

How someone could achieve this is not much known except that Whirl Cup where it was whole thing defined abit implying how someone may need to enter water based events to advance it,but on positive side because of whole thing being unexplored added that mysterious quality to Misty's character not knowing what to expect next.
Back in the day we had to wait for writers creating outlets in which her skills as water trainer could come on surface and what future steps she may take.Given how little is known this goal may involve becoming E4 considering how some E4 members like Lorelai or Lance are labeled as one type masters being one of best trainers out there who specialize in one type,it may involve following Wallace footsteps who became champion with specific type or it could require accomplishing certain chain of competitions similar to Whirl Cup in order to gain title and be recognized as best water trainer out there.Possibilities are numerous.

It is a pity that writers didn't expanded more on whole thing,but concept was interesting having potential.

-Brock's dream of becoming best breeder in world was prominent and quite interesting imo.Seeing him taking care of pokemon,knowing how to prepare right medicine and food provided something different serving as refreshing break from only battling.And even though it wasn't getting much attention and focus this didn't mitigated my positive opinion about whole concept which sadly wasn't enough researched.
However while i liked this idea it didn't drawed my interest for it enough to put it on top of most outstanding dreams out there.

His newly found dream of becoming doctor is common occupation in pokemon world and we didn't seen much of it to form some opinion from it.

-Iris goal of evolving dragon type Axew is cool and everything but it stands out as something quite simple compared to other dreams.Her appetite may increase with time with something more her character may want to accomplish being revealed later on but for now i have to say how this isn't something which stands out as particulary special.At least to me.

-Cilan's profession of being pokemon connoisseur is entirely new concept we never had before and i must admit it caught my interest.Apparently there are four class of someone who specialize in identifying compatibility between trainer and its pokemon with whole idea being so far executed in interesting way having some form of competitions where abilities and qualities of pokemon connoisseur can be recognized.

So in my opinion most unique goals have Misty and Cilan.

Note:I put Brock twice in poll because he decided to change career.

Last edited:
Dent's dream. It's something we haven't seen before in the show. All of the others are rather generic, and some of them are universally seen in the franchise.

Iris's dream reeks of the Paris episode back in Kanto, only the goal is extended to a whole series. It's unique for a main character, I guess, which always relates to being the best something.

Cilan most likely.

Everyone else just wants to be the best whatever, just change type or goal here.

Brock would probably be second as we don't see as many people wanting to become breeders/doctors.

Anyway, Cilan's is pretty unique, but Brock's being a doctor is pretty good too. Ash and the girls involve being the best something or other, and Iris...I guess we'll see in by the end of BW or at least by the 8th Gym. Is she taking over for Drayden in a few years, will she become his apprentice, is she gonna be a Dragon Pokemon Master, etc.

But what the hell is a Pokemon Watcher? I still don't know what that is. Does that mean you just draw Pokemon, or you just watch and observe them. Is their a goal towards it?

But what the hell is a Pokemon Watcher? I still don't know what that is. Does that mean you just draw Pokemon, or you just watch and observe them. Is their a goal towards it?

You're pretty much a naturalist/artist. Tracey is my freaking hero.

But I thought that his main goal for the OI was swearing his love to meeting Professor Oak. That's pretty BA.

I thought his goal was easily the lamest one they could have came up with, and not in the least bit entertaining or even interesting. But as far as being unique goes, I...suppose I'd have to say Tracey. I mean, his is the only one that doesn't directly involve training or developing a friendship with a pokemon at it's core. And apart from Groucho Marx, he was the only one in the entire show to be seen with his goal. He's just a guy who draws pictures. Awesome talent to have, but not good TV.

Also, am I the only one who really hates the word 'goal' now? Makes me want to kick a football >(

I'd say Iris' is pretty unique if we're just taking it as getting Axew to its final stage. It shows like her bond to her pokemon and it's not just a dream about herself.

From what I'm reading, Ash, Iris and Brock's goals are the ones that sounds pretty pointless. Becoming a Breeder was some sort of joke since Brock really never did much about that and Iris is now starting to use Axew. But what happens if it evolves, what will be her goal next? She not exactly catching dragon Pokemon so? I'm starting to thing that the writers really do know how to screw over our darker skinned folks in this anime. And as far as Ash goes, his goal is not being reached.

I voted watcher, breeder, and connoisseur. Why? Because none of them are prevalent in the games, and are thus more unique than training any form of pokemon, or doing contests. Well, breeders do exist in the games, but their role is not really explored. (for a good reason) Wanting to draw all the pokemon is a unique thing, but unfortunately, it doesn't make for an interesting story. A connoisseur is an interesting concept, and could be worthwhile if they do more stuff like with Cabernet. We'll see. Anyway, anyone who is a fanfic writer such as myself knows that training pokemon doesn't make for a very original story. (although it can be done well with a compelling story behind it) It's all about finding things to do with pokemon that haven't been thought of. Me, I take an MD approach myself, but I digress.

I think Iris wanting to become a dragon master is more interesting than just evolving Axew. For Cilan, I don't know what happens when he masters it.

I voted for both of Brock's and Tracey's. They are more unique than the obvious master/co-ordinator but aren't stupid.

I chose Tracey, Iris and Cilan's. Tracey because it seemed the most likely to happen (how hard could it be to meet Oak?), Iris because evolving Axew has to be the easiest goal for the writers to accomplish by the end of the run, and Cilan's because....well, this whole sommelier thing is pretty interesting to say the least.

I think the most unique goal is Cilan's. It's doubly unique has it seems to be concentrated solely in Unova, but also because of the structure it has (the different classes, etc.) which we don't really see from other goals.

I also think coordinator is a pretty unique goal, simply because of the philosophy behind it. It's not about having the strongest or most powerful pokémon, it's not about taking the opponent out, it's about showing your pokémon off, show their distinctive characteristic and attacks both in and out of battles. It also requires to be able to make the opponent's attacks work to your advantage.

And Tracey's goal is unique, because of the blending between art and science it offers.

How does Iris have a unique goal? Its just specializing in one specific type.

No different than fire type masters, water type masters, grass type masters, etc/

Iris goal is to fully evolve and train Axew... how is that just like anything else? Her goal is simple and new :b

Becoming a top coordinator.
Satoshi: Whole point of show and ultimate goal of nearly all characters.
Kasumi: Nearly same as Satoshi's.
Takeshi: Same as being a Breeder/Doctor but with Pokemon in it...
Kenji: "Hello, I'm Todd Snap without a camera and with a sketchbook. Also, I want to be Proffessor Oak's assisstant!"
Iris: Similar to Satoshi's.
Dent: Something between someone with a Poketch and a Breeder...

How does Iris have a unique goal? Its just specializing in one specific type.

No different than fire type masters, water type masters, grass type masters, etc/

From where you get such idea?Iris goal so far is only to evolve Axew having currently just one dragon type in her team.

Speaking of one type masters depends how you look at it.So far only known one type masters are some E4 members like Lance.Im not even sure if there exist other one type masters beside dragon and water Misty strived for.

However whole thing about this has been unexplored not being much known about it and what tasks exists out there someone would need to enter.Personally i find this kind of aim interesting because it requires someone to use specific type to full potential having to find way to overcome weakness against pokemon which may have advantage aswell proving its worth and skills when battling other water trainers having to adapt to new environment and situation like we got to see in specialized tournaments like Whirl Cup to show he has what it takes to become best.

Kasumi: Nearly same as Satoshi's.

Iris: Similar to Satoshi's.

I cant really see what makes them similar to Ashs dream,especially in Iris case.She only wants to evolve one pokemon.

As for Misty ok she strived to become best with one type while Ash strives to become best generally speaking,but thats where similarity stop.Both dreams follow vastly different tasks someone may need to achieve having to battle different trainers.

Last edited:
For me, I would say Dento, Iris and Tracey :-D though Brock becomming a doctor seems pretty unique too, Pokemon whise. Same for if Bel ever decides to become a model like what she mentioned in the games.

I cant really see what makes them similar to Ashs dream,especially in Iris case.She only wants to evolve one pokemon.

"To evolve one pokemon" is what every other pokemon trainer does in their journey. It's hardly a serious "goal". And in preview of BW30, Iris is talking about being "Dragon Pokemon Master".

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom