• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of Paul’s Pokemon do you think is the strongest?

Which is the best

• Torterra

Votes: 40 83.3%
  • Honchkrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electabuzz

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Weavile

• Urasring

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Gliscor

• Magmortar

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Lairon

• Hariyama

• Nidoking

• Total voters

Paulisthebest

"Ursaring, standby for battle!"
Reaction score
Based on his known Pokemon on his team and the known reserves at
Reggie’s, which one do you think is the best?

In Top-Down Training, when Torterra made its debut and after seeing its move set I assumed that it was Paul’s best. I became more sure of this after I learned that it was his very first Pokemon.

The top contenders for Paul’s #1 Pokemon in my opinion would go to-Torterra, Magmortar, Honchcrow, or Urasring.

Magmortar has the type advantage over Torterra since it knows fire attacks, but Torterra’s Stone Edge may prove a challenge for it. Though Rock Tomb could be a way to counter it since it too is a rock type move, but since Torterra has control over Stone Edge’s direction it would be a pretty tough battle.

Honchcrow has unbelievable endurance and his Electabuzz seems to hold this trait as well (not to mention some of his other Pokemon). It being a flying type, Honchcrow can launch an assault from a lot of different angles. Also, it has a good array of special and physical attacks (Dark Pulse, Sky Attack, etc.) at its disposal. Since it has the Super Luck ability it is a force to be reckoned with, just remember that it took out a Dragonite with one hit! Super Luck raises the critical hit ratio and most of its attacks have a side affect; Dark Pulse-flinching, Sky Attack-flinching and high critical hit ratio (now combine that with Super Luck and I see how it can produce one hit knock outs!), Night Slash-high critical hit ratio, and Haze erases any status changes.

Urasring is like the fierce warrior of the group because I think it is the Pokemon that reflects Paul the most. It is powerful, angry, not one to ever hold back and will use any technique necessary to smash its opponents into the dirt. Its powerful moves like Hammer Arm, Slash and Focus Blast seem to be its trademark attacks (it hasn’t used Hyper Beam since Top Down Training when It sent TR blasting off). Then with Bulk Up and the Guts ability its Attack and Defensive powers increase even higher than before. I would say that against Honchcrow it would be at a slight disadvantage, but only if it had to rely on its power-ups to match it (Bulk Up/Guts) since Haze attack could erase any stat changes.

Torterra has a naturally high defense as it is and with energy zapping moves like Giga Drain, powerful finishers like Hyper Beam/Frenzy Plant, attacks for opponents that venture too near like Crunch and moves to strike from long range like Leaf Storm and Stone Edge this Pokemon is one to not be taken too lightly.

His Larion/Nidoking/Haryiama was only seen in one episode, and not enough of their powers and strengths were shown for me to make a solid opinion on any of them. Though since they were on Paul’s team he must consider them strong and could have been caught for the purpose of battling at Snowpoint Gym.

Electabuzz is his “Ash’s Pikachu” it has high endurance and power to boot. Protect and Light Screen is great for those long and drawn out battles. Thunder is its long range attack, while Brick Break and Thunderpunch are for hand to hand combat assaults. Its ability Static is a great surprise affliction to opponents. If it were to battle the likes of Nidoking or Torterra it would be at a major disadvantage since Brick Break is the only move that would cause damage.

Gliscor is powerful and fast and Gullotine is an one hit knock out move. It was only seen in one battle and it may show up at the league I hope. Its is strong, but like I mentioned with three others; it has not been seen in enough battles for me to make a clear opinion on its strength.

Weavile is fast and powerful, but it hasn’t been shown to win a single battle yet. It does have some good ice attacks at its disposal along with a power-up (Swords Dance).

Now based on this and your own opinions; which do you think is the best?

It's difficult to say, because all of Paul's pokemon are literally powerful.
I'll go ahead and say, for the time being, that Torterra is the strongest pokemon in Paul's party.

Even though it's kinda hard to say, and he may have others were unaware of, his Torterra seems to be portrayed as his strongest so far.

I'm going with Torterra here. It's his starter Pokemon (and probably the most experienced out of Paul's Pokemon).

Everyone seems to be unanimous that it's Torterra, including me.

I can't decide between Ursaring and Torterra. They're both really powerful, presenting a nearly unstoppable presence.

It's definately Lairon did you see that thing's power??

Torterra

Also why isnt Ninjask on the list?

I believe it's a toss up between Torterra and Urasring, but giving that Torterra has been with Paul the longest; he might be the strongest one.

Ninjask would have made the list, but it was only seen in a flashback. Even then it was seen flying back into a tree after being defeated by Elekid. No move or techniques were seen from it so I could not judge its skills or power. Based on Elekid’s moves and the fact that no sparks were emitting from Ninjask, it was probably struck with Thunderpunch and was sent into the tree.

Remember that information on this Pokemon states; that it does not obey the commands of a trainer that it feels unworthy as it will emit a constant screech and whine. Based on Paul’s methods it could have kept up the screeching since it was being beaten or tortured in training and that could be a reason that we haven’t seen Paul with it. Either he let it go because of this or he could still have it as a reserve as Reggie’s.

In “Tears for Fears” we see a Graveler that was using Rock Throw on Chimchar as it was under Paul’s rigorous training to unlock Blaze. It was either a wild one, or Paul could have captured it for the purpose of training Chimchar.

In “An Amazing Race” he is constantly trying to capture a Fearow, but is always interrupted by Ash and the others. It seems that based on their current location he was trying to catch it for the Veilstone Gym match with the fighting type Pokemon. Like Graveler, it is unknown if he captured it. That is why none of these 3 Pokemon were put on the list.

To martianmister:

Magmortar was my second choice of being the best, but then I thought of one Pokemon on Paul’s team that may prove a match for it; Urasring. The way I see it, almost all of Magmortar’s attacks on Urasring may work against it. Will-o-Wisp, Smog, Flamethrower or its ability Flame Body may cause Urasring to become burned or poisoned and it would activate the Guts ability raising Urasring’s Attack along with the chance it uses Bulk Up to further raise its stats.

Rock Tomb could be countered by Focus Blast or smashed to bits by Hammer Arm. I also think of the possibility of Urasring using Hammer Arm to blow away Smog’s cloud of smoke.

What do you think would Magmortar have a chance?

Dodaitose. It is his starter as other have said, managed to hurt Shirona's Gablias when the others couldn't (though this was early on) and knows powerful attacks like Leaf Storm and Stone Edge.
It is a shame that we didn't see it versus Jindai because then we could more accurately compare it to the others.

Such a close contest. Maybe it should be changed to Strongest Pokemon excluding Torterra.

If thats the case, then it would be Electabuzz.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom