• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which pokegirl's storyline was written the best?

Unbeatable HoennMon

Smarter than Smarties and Tougher than Toughies
Reaction score
It's not the question which pokegirl is your favourite. It's about whose plot you find curious, original and logic.
For example, i adore Misty but i think her storyline was written weakly- she hasn't developed as a trainer and lost a lot of time because of Ash...
However for me, the best story is Dawn's story- she's always known what she wanted to do, se had brilliant pokemon ( epsecially my favourite Piplup), she worked very hard and became great coordinator- what is more...braveheart- she was (is, actually) very funny and courious character, so i think that was the best written storyline.
I have to add Serena's plot was pretty good too - her hard work, good manners and kindness help her achieve what she wanted to- become a great artist and catch wonderful pokemon- actually i've watched XY series only for this plot :D

And what do you think about it? :D

Last edited:
Hikari was the best-written anime Pokegirl, at the very least she had a lot of appropriate focus and development. She was pretty much the protagonist of the Diamond and Pearl series along with Satoshi. Other than that, her personality was very colorful and delightful, I immediately warmed up to her unlike the other new traveling companions, which often took some time.

May. Her character development to this day remains my favorite of the entire series. She started off as a girl who didn't even like Pokémon...she was just taking advantage of becoming a trainer so she could travel. She shows no interest in challenging gyms, even after she starts to get more comfortable with Pokémon. Then when she starts getting involved with contests, we get to see her grow from a girl who really has no idea what she's doing, or is in over her head and trying to do too much, to a confident and well put together coordinator who absolutely loves what she does. It also helps that she had some of the best written rivals in the show. She grew alongside other characters, and was inspired by both herself and them.

May. Her character development to this day remains my favorite of the entire series. She started off as a girl who didn't even like Pokémon...she was just taking advantage of becoming a trainer so she could travel. She shows no interest in challenging gyms, even after she starts to get more comfortable with Pokémon. Then when she starts getting involved with contests, we get to see her grow from a girl who really has no idea what she's doing, or is in over her head and trying to do too much, to a confident and well put together coordinator who absolutely loves what she does. It also helps that she had some of the best written rivals in the show. She grew alongside other characters, and was inspired by both herself and them.
May is one of my favourite characters and I appreciate her storyline too. For me it is similar to Serenas plot+ they both didnt know what they wanna do in their life. Remembering May was always optimistic, it was great pleasure to see her adventures ( I really enjoy her and Serena never gave up and fought for their dreams), especially she was first character in the anime, who we can call Ashs equal ...personally i think that May and Dawns plots were so good that their adventure in Johto would be really more interesting than Ashs life in Alola :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hikari was the best-written anime Pokegirl, at the very least she had a lot of appropriate focus and development. She was pretty much the protagonist of the Diamond and Pearl series along with Satoshi. Other than that, her personality was very colorful and delightful, I immediately warmed up to her unlike the other new traveling companions, which often took some time.
I totally agree with you. Dawns plot was the best. She had always known what she wanna do in life, and, as you said, she was the main DP character, which, along with Brocks presence ( I only regret she didnt pull his ear:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:), made DP really special series to me. And, as far as I REALLY like May and AG, I have to say Sinnoh contests were the most interesting. Its a pity Dawn, who has more potential (and talent) than Ash, didnt remain in Anime so long as Brock :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say Bonnie. Since the beginning, she managed to capture my heart faster than any other character and it's purely based on how they wrote her as a character. She was a child who acted like a child, yet still have enough mature traits to feel like she was almost at a level equal to that of a trainer. The way she adores all Pokemon, even to the point of calling giant brutes like Garchomp and Tyrunt cute, is just adorable. Plus the way she interacts with Pokemon and just wants to take care of them and make them comfortable is precious and totally understandable. She's not just like, "I want to hurry up and become a trainer so I can battle/become a coordinator/performer, etc" or whatever. But rather, "I want to become a trainer so I can care for these creatures". That's what I like the most about her. Bonnie is a character who actually feels real. Like a real world child being put into the Pokemon world and probably would want nothing other than to chill around with their Pokebuddies all day and make sure they're happy. That is why Bonnie will always be one of my favorite characters of the entire series.

I have to say Bonnie. Since the beginning, she managed to capture my heart faster than any other character and it's purely based on how they wrote her as a character. She was a child who acted like a child, yet still have enough mature traits to feel like she was almost at a level equal to that of a trainer. The way she adores all Pokemon, even to the point of calling giant brutes like Garchomp and Tyrunt cute, is just adorable. Plus the way she interacts with Pokemon and just wants to take care of them and make them comfortable is precious and totally understandable. She's not just like, "I want to hurry up and become a trainer so I can battle/become a coordinator/performer, etc" or whatever. But rather, "I want to become a trainer so I can care for these creatures". That's what I like the most about her. Bonnie is a character who actually feels real. Like a real world child being put into the Pokemon world and probably would want nothing other than to chill around with their Pokebuddies all day and make sure they're happy. That is why Bonnie will always be one of my favorite characters of the entire series.

I respect the way You appreciate Bonnie, but, to be honest, I am not really into her story+ when it comes to PokeKids I prefer Max ( who is my 4th favourite character generally :LOL: ). Of course, I agree Bonnie is an interesting character, and it would be nice to see her as older trainer (especially i like when Bonnie made fun of Clemont :LOL: ) Now Im in doubt we will ever see past characters (and its drive me really crazy :mad::mad::mad:) but Bonnies plot would be definetely interesting, i guess

I would say May definitely. My second pokegirl would be Serena and I want to say something, because you seem to forget one thing about her :

Serena only had a saga of 140 episodes for her storyline, while Dawn got 191 episodes + special episodes + 9 episodes in B/W and Brock was just a third wheel in D/P... May also had 192 episode + a cameo of 5 episodes... You can give a lot to a character with 50 more episodes so comparing these pokegirls are not really fair, don't even want to mention Misty.

Now I know what you are going to say "Iris got 140 episodes too !" yes but Iris had only 1 new character (Cilan) with her and followed Ash directly , Serena had 2 new characters (the brothers) so the writers had two more characters to develop (alongside with Ash obviously)...don't also forget the Korrina/Alain arc who stole like 7-8 episodes during the whole saga, it's huge for a saga that short.
Now when you consider the fact that Serena was in the shortest saga with 3 protagonists and with a total new thing to develop in the anime (Mega evolution) you can feel that her storyline was pretty good, so my top 3 would be :

1. May
  2. Serena
  3. Dawn

Last edited:

This sounds almost exactly like Serena's story except she had less episodes and they also managed to squeeze in a love story so Serena wins. I also like the way Serena was integrated into Ash's story. It's not often you suddenly decide to go on a months long journey with a complete stranger the way the other girls did.

We should have a spin-off series starring May and Serena and set in Hoenn. I would watch it!!!!

We should have a spin-off series starring May and Serena and set in Hoenn. I would watch it!!!!

The main problem about this is that May's voice actress in Japan is retired from voice acting (because of really serious personal problems) and they don't recast a character that old if it's not a recurrent character (they only did this for Giovanni because his voice actor passed away before AG) that's the main reason of why May wasn't there to promote the Hoenn remakes and why they used Shota/Sawyer instead.

Now , about the whole Serena topic, I still don't get why we didn't have a Serena's special episode broadcasted as a 1 hour special alongside with a S&M episode like they did with Dawn for BW020 and Iris for XY021..

Last edited:
Misty's journey was a hit and miss due to the writers neglecting her, but at the end of the day I like her storyline the best. Finding your place in your intolerable family is a hell of a lot more relatable than "I want to be the best coordinator/performer that ever was". I know that Dawn and Serena had some mom issues, and May was briefly intimidated by her dad's career path, but those problems were quickly resolved since those parents just wanted the best for their daughters. Misty's sisters were real bitches and her parents were nowhere to be seen.

And I say that as someone with relatively few problems with his own family. That is not what I want to watch.

Last edited:
So May will never appear again then? Not that I think she would have appeared even if her VA wasn't sick.

I liked Dawn's story the most, but of course, we are never going to see her again.

I doubt Serena would meet Ash again because this show is for little kids and doesn't want romance.

Finding your place in your intolerable family is a hell of a lot more relatable than "I want to be the best coordinator/performer that ever was".
At least she had a family. Poor Iris is a homeless orphan with not a single relative, lived with wild pokemon for most of her childhood and her whole life is planned by creepy old people who likes to secretly watch her afar. Best storyline ever!

At least she had a family. Poor Iris is a homeless orphan with not a single relative, lived with wild pokemon for most of her childhood and her whole life is planned by creepy old people who likes to secretly watch her afar. Best storyline ever!
You're free to like that story best, but obviously you don't. Iris is second on my list and I suspect that Lillie will eclipse her. Iris' life may not have been easy in some sense, but the precocious girl angle was a bit of a turn-off.

Iris is second on my list and I suspect that Lillie will eclipse her. Iris' life may not have been easy in some sense, but the precocious girl angle was a bit of a turn-off.
Considering that Lilie had a happy childhood, rich parents and a mansion to live, I doubt that.

lol, it isn't as simple as that. She fears Pokemon for a reason and the games give us some idea why.

And if her family were so functional, she wouldn't be living alone with her butler.

People tend to blow Misty's family issues out of proportion. She has like three episodes complaining about her sisters out of 270+. And her sisters weren't bad sisters per se, they just teased Misty like all older siblings do. They were never shown to treat Misty like crap. Not that I can recall.

If there's one character with family drama in this show that we should feel bad for this character is Brock. He was abandoned by his mother and father and left alone to take care of eight little children, and he's just a teenager. Misty being the ugly sister isn't all that compelling to me. Plus she's the one who has proven to be vindictive. She won a Pokémon doll collection and sent to her sisters as if saying "in your faces, bitches".

Dawn is obviously the best written female companion. This should be a no-brainer. She is the only character to have as much screentime as Ash, even in the movies. Remember that one time where May was shoved in a capsule and Ash was the one to save the Sea Temple in the last Advanced Generation series movie? Yeah that was awful.

With Dawn that was never a problem because the Diamond & Pearl series was planned to be the story of Ash and Dawn rather than the story of Ash and sometimes the girl who is currently traveling with him. All of Dawn's storylines were carefully developed over the course of the series, her struggles were believable, her journey was well paced, her personality is adorable... There's so much that could be said.

And for the people saying it's unfair to compare Serena with May or Dawn due to the XY series being shorter than AG and DP, the problem with Serena was never the duration of her series. So much so that many people feel that Ash's Kalos journey is one of his best adventures. Let's maybe try to blame Serena for taking one year to start her Showcase arc instead of saying that 140 episodes weren't enough.

@Sakuradodger@
You might be right but I'm not sure it's only voice issue...at least they could use Max? Or, after these whole years, change May's voice.
In my opinion it's about different story we have had since Ash arrived to Kalos but it's only theories so, as I said, you might be right too.
Why we didn't see Serena in Alola? I think SM is more...childish than XY and Serena and her storyline simply don't fit...I know I said it and maybe I become boring but look at Serena's behaviour and then at alolan girls'. They're, as Iris said, such kids and treat Ash like Superman or Batman or whatever xD Serena, with her good manners and honour simply doesn't fit it, just like I said.

@Silktree@
For me, Misty is something more than simply a pokegirl. She is an icon of PokemonAnime and she always will be no matter what will happen, but I think she was really hurt by writers. Look- where is her development as a trainer? Where are powerful pokemon (except of my beloved Psyduck :D )? And what is the way they ended her plot? She's waiting for the boy who has never cared about her (last episode of Johto), especially about her feelings and who probably doesn't even remember her (Remember when he saw her in his house in ADVANCED? He looked as if he asked- ,,Who are you"?) and didn't give a chance to boy who really appreciated her-Rudy (or maybe Tracey- I'm still not sure but probably he prefers Daisy :D ) . My poor Misty doesn't deserve that final...
About her sisters- they're definetely selfish but I like them cause they love Misty...in their strange way, but still (especially Daisy- I'm curious she wanted Tracey to be her husband or brother-in-law)

@QueenEevee@
It's very said what you always write but it's simply the truth. At least, we have old episodes...
By the way, other universes didn't develop in such sad for older fans way. I hope one day we'll get (or our children/grandchildren) some Comic books/ TV series/movies/ CDs like DigimonTri or Life and Life time of Scrooge McDuck (actually, this comic series that tells the whole story of Scrooge's, Donald's parents, sister, nephews, cousins and Donald, of course life, was created in 90's so 60 years after Donald Duck's debut and perfectly fits every earlier official stories since 30's so we, fans of old Pokemonanime can still have a Hope but we have to be patient :D ) both these series are for older fans and were awarded or received well...
Of course I know It's only my Dream and actual pokemon episodes have nothing in common with the universe that Brock, Misty, May, Gary, Max, Dawn, Iris, Cilan and probably Serena live...As you always say, now the series is for younger audience :/

@martianmister@
Actually, Iris had a strong potential (Unova League, her special
Episode) and it's a pity she didn' appear in XY :/

@Mikuri@
I totally agree about Brock and Dawn- I've always felt sorry for him because of his family problem and Dawn's storyline for sure is the best- she was girlish, but not a cry-baby, assidous, she had known what she wanna do in her life before the start of DP and abilities to be a leader, her whole story is about dreaming, hard work and fight...and she is the only one pokegirl, besides Iris who sees Ash as he really is and not as TheGreatestTrainerEver xD

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom