• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which pokegirl's storyline was written the best?

@Mikuri
I agree- it was a pity we didn't see Misty training with her pokemon, especially Psyduck. Watching chronicles I thought it's nice to finally see her developing her talent as a Gym leader.
About her sisters- I don't think they were cruel to Misty. We have to remember OS had strongly comedy character. As you said, they only made fun of her. Leaving Cerulean to become better trainer was her own decision. I think return to home was the best what happened to her. I have an impression that during the journey she lose her self-confidence.

@Shadao
Right- that's why DP had the best plot. That all ,,Ash-pikachu-story" became quite boring about Hoenn- it was good when May started to be a coordinator, when Serena became an artist but it was the best when we could watch Dawn's story, it was like fresh air for this show. I remember that during watching 1st DP episode I hope do it'll be season about Dawn :D

@Shoutmaster
I agree- saying,,I like this character" is not the same as ,,this character's plot is written good"- it's like what i think about Misty :D

@QueenEevee
The same- sometimes he was really annoying to me.

@Islander Princess
I find Iris' plot interrupted, especially that she had a great talent to be a pokemon trainer (maybe even master), she saw legenadary pokemon and we haven't seen her again...it would be match better to see her not Cilan in XY special, in my opinion.

I really don't have any interest in just that, which is probably why I feel the way I do about Iris' storyline as a whole. I could not stand the whole "trying to teach Axew dragon rage" storyline. I actually have nothing against Iris as a character, but to me her storylines were the worst of all the girls.

Well, she did fix her relationship with Excadrill and had some development with Dragonite. Axew never got stronger and Emolga listened to her because...reasons. Misty never tried to improve her relationship with Psyduck or any of her Pokemon. Psyduck was disobedient from beggining to end.

The only reason why Iris would be worse is because her personality is more unlikeable and because they tried to do something with her and what was done wasn't really good but she had some development and actually tried to improve. Also Cilan made her look better since he had the depth of a puddle.

Honestly, mostly of the development Misty got was in Chronicles. She got a strong Pokemon,accepted her role as gym leader,etc.This should have been done in the actual series. She should have raised a Magikarp and stuff like that.

Misty is fun and all but I apreciate that since AG they try to do more stuff with the female characters.

And why shouldn't her development in the Hoso specials count? She couldn't have been a gym leader during her actual run, you know.

Not the main series??
I'm nost saying she should have become one but at least she should have realized it's her responsability and that she was doing jackshit during the show so in the last episode she should have decided going to the gym by herself instead of being forced to.

People can say what they want about Dawn and how much quality there was pout in her story arc. But when talking about story which makes you symphatize with character, Sad background leaving negative effect on someone psyche witnessing to character having to grow up fast not experiencing normal childhood. Most importantly when talking about personality development when someone matures, get various personality sides fleshed out changing and gaining more depth. Than well in sorry to say but Misty developed far more in emotional aspect than Dawn or any other female protagonist did.

Sure Dawn grew a lot in goal and career sense, when establishing relationship with her pokemon or proving herself stopping to be overshadowed by her mother(former Grand festival champion). But Dawn in personality sense didn't changed that much staying relatively same just like she used to be in beginning.

Misty did not feeling like all those journeys, friends, hardships she faced and imposed on her responsibilities made her grow substantially in slow manner over long period of time.
If anything i think Misty developed as person more than Serena did, even though that growth was slow and happened gradually feeling like transition with each aspect of journey and later gym molding her.

So im baffled by amount of bias and false information going around in this thread. More so in Misty case.

I mean maybe elements of her growth weren't as stellar and full fledged like it was case with May or Dawn perhaps.

But Misty had relatable background, problems and solid story changing a lot over course of her travels from Kanto to Johto.

Fort start growing up without parents and having to put up with three older sisters who viewed here as incompetent trainer saying they're far more skilled than her. Far more beautiful, popular, successful just about everything. Saying more than once how Misty is weak trainer not having any faith in her being able to put up a fight at gym or anywhere(which was brought up time after time such as when Misty met Coastline gym leader Dorian).

Was treated as one of biggest obstacles Misty had to overcome and triumph over them coming on top. Seeing in Misty anger, lack of self esteem and her ideals being shaken up being highly important for her to defend her reputation, end up recognized as trainer of water pokemon and respected.

With Misty living in their shadow, her talent being suppressed and belittled alongside leaving negative impact on her personality having to grow up and mature prematurely in order to take care of herself.

Sure this turmoils weren't brought up on frequent and consistent basis and whole problem could be treated more smoothly. But that still does not deny fact how relationship between Misty and her older siblings played important factor in her story and development.

I mean i understand OS happened 15 years ago but if anyone decide to go back and rewatch some Kanto or Johto episodes they will notice character often offered insight in her own personal problems and struggle through which she was going through because of sisters which left big mark on her. They downplayed her heavily being viewed as "useless runt" causing revolt in character wanting to prove that she is better than them which set up ground for leaving gym and later deciding to become water master in first place. Because of them she toughen up ,often hiding her insecurity and self doubts with rough attitude when compared to "sensational trio".

It wasn't until Misty traveled with Ash and Brock that she started to open toward them softening up. We can see that for example in "Princess vs Princess!" where we learned more about her relationship with sisters and why winning doll set is so important to her, in "Misty Mermaid" when she was teased by them during underwater ballet. When other trainers downplayed her in comparison to Daisy and others always feeling needed to prove herself to them.

We can see Misty getting over complex of feeling inferior compared to sisters not being bothered much about it through several achievements like doll set, win of Seaking contest or when proving her battle skills to other trainers like Dorian which underestimated her gaining self esteem and sense of accomplishment not feeling insecure so much anymore. Or when bonding with several characters like Mikey and Sakura helping them to deal with their older siblings.

Furthermore her relationship with Daisy and others notably improved in chronicles with sisters starting to respect her more getting along better, helping in latest cameo Max about his issues with May relating to each other because of that.

Another valid aspect of Misty growth came from her newly found high responsibility.
AS we can clearly see at end of Johto Misty did not wanted to go back to gym feeling like she has no choice.

On one hand she wanted to continue traveling, explore new worlds and pokemon, advance her dreams of becoming water pokemon master and perhaps one day live up to her idol Lorelei not hiding ambitions of reaching elite trainer status.
While being with her friends, something Brock stated as well to Ash who was too dense to understand why Misty was not happy about news of someone having to take care of gym.

However Misty also knew very well how in case of not returning gym would end up closed destroying family tradition. Deciding to force on herself gym leader responsibilities for current time out of necessity. In nutshell felt it was her responsibility to take care of things and put her own dreams on hold which is very strong another quality she has being testament to unselfish and competent side she has.
Revealing another aspect of how much Misty grew responsible and changed as character.

Sure reading some previous posts she could've send gym to hell and open path to travel freely again. But that would nullify any growth Misty had in becoming more responsible and aware of priorities. Taking over gym to keep family tradition going and have home for her family to live in. Wanting to follow her own desires and dreams but not until she finds someone who is ready to view this job seriously taking proper care of Cerulean gym. Reassuring Misty how she left gym in good hands , to someone she can rely on in order to move on bigger, better things she always wanted as person and trainer.

Because Misty never hided how she has much higher aspirations than being just gym leader with another important reason behind leaving gym in first place aside from getting tired of sisters demeaning her, In wanting to show whole world how beautiful and powerful water pokemon are becoming water pokemon maser understanding how to unlock their mysteries and secrets to full extent. And receive recognition for her effort and talent in world admitting E4 members wishing to one day reach such position.

Similar to how Brock had other dreams wanting to travel and become best breeder. But also not wanting to throw away family tradition(gym) caring for it and not being ready to leave until valid substitute shows up.

Than there is her relationship with Ash.
In fact Misty developed ill argue closer bond than most other girls did with Ash. Becoming basically like family as Misty mentioned to her friend Sakura in episode "Espeon Included!". Ash crying only when Misty and Brock were leaving him meaning world to each other. Alongside Misty feelings growing in something we can call case of young love. Fighting with storm of emotions causing conflict inside her regarding way she started to view Ash eventually. But being too confused but also proud to admit that to herself, let alone to others.

That could be noticed in various situations she was out in. Like struggling whether to accept Trovita gym leader Rudy proposal or not, trying to hide in front of Oak, Brock and Tracey how she views Ash. Being belligerent in case of girls like Melody or Macy from Johto feeling anxiety and discomfort over them showing romantic interest in Ash.

Not caring for bike with time at all, realizing importance of friendship and having people who will accept you for who you are.

In trainer aspect and as far as Misty goal goes she lacked enough focus in that department. However while
there maybe weren't episodes on consistent basis reflecting her trainer growth like its case with May or Dawn considering how there weren't created through benchmarks through which her skill could be measured.

At same time it can be noticed that her strategy and battling abilities gradually increased over time with several trainers like Marina, Trinity, Dorian etc recognizing her skills as water trainer showing progress through battle with them.

Its enough to compare her battle abilities during Whirl Islands or in battle against Molly in third movie to Kanto, and it becomes apparent that her skills were raised. That being said her Poliwag line, Staryu and Corsola showed improvement too becoming more resistant, and learning new attacks over course of OS through training.

There wasn't much on screen work, but there were provided references of of screen training.

We also saw her learning to better understand her pokemon creating closer bond with them with there being quite a few episodes focusing on her trainer career. Such as "Tentacool and Tentacruel!" where Misty was ashamed by her water trainer skills not understanding what Horsea tried to say. hem with there being quite a few episodes focusing on her trainer career. in "For Crying Out Loud" where she got over her personal differences trying to protect Marill leaning to understand him better. When she helped Poliwhirl to overcome self esteem issues in "Hook, Line and Stinker", when blaming herself for forcing Staryu and Poliwhirl too much in battle, or when blaming herself for Gyarados going on rampage in chronicles not being sure if she is cut out for this task for example.

So Misty was very capable pokemon trainer actually.

Also it was established what dream of becoming water pokemon master means, however in what way you can achieve this has been largely unanswered. It was showed in original series judging be Misty dialogue and Whirl islands how water master means becoming best water trainer in world which has power to understand sea creatures and use them to full potential, being recognized and respected among all water trainers worldwide.

For same reason Whirl Cup was introduced as one of such competitions where you can gain more experience, make step forward and prove yourself to others.

Last but not the least two pokemon in Misty arsenal were catalyst through which Misty developed maybe not so much as trainer. But in emotional aspect its a whole another story.

First being Togepi with new burden of having to learn how to take care of fragile baby pokemon exploring on various sides to her personality showing she had more than just temper and violent tendencies to herself. Learning how to be more compassionate and understanding of other people needs.

Second was Psyduck.
This pokemon contrary to people belief was never meant to play role in exploring Misty capabilities as trainer. It served another noble purpose of making Misty soften up as person. Start to develop tolerance toward other pokemon in not judging them by looks and their solely positive sides. Growing to love and accept her pokemon despite being handicapped in simply not being able to learn how to swim or battle properly,. Due to mental deficiencies presenting much, much greater obstacle and challenge to bring inner strength of such pokemon on surface than it would be situation with normally functional pokemon.

Because it was not about discipline or lack of it. But Psyduck itself being special case not being normal member of its specie. Yet still possessing humongous internal energy and power that no other Psyduck to this day possess(observers for a reason were shocked every time Misty Psyduck unleashed psychic energy accumulated in that small creature exceeding power well above many other psychic pokemon as mentioned once). Being true task and challenge to have it learn how to tame it.

In nutshell way i see it Misty importance lied in providing humor and colorful dynamic to cast providing identity to anime with strong presence. She was there to provide moral support to cast often helping others about issues providing them encouragement while going through some notable growth herself too. She paved way for future females to come in show and served along with Brock as Ash coach and mentor(especially in earlier seasons)helping him to grow from greenhorn to somewhat competent trainer.

Misty had in reality quite a lot of development. Only issue is how most of that growth happened through passage of time being subtle.

We saw more sides of personality being explored. In start she always wanted to prove being right to Ash arguing over it, with time being willing to acknowledge her own flaws and accept responsibility behind her actions. Which can be best noticed when despite wanting to continue traveling with Ash pursuing her own dreams she felt it was her responsibility to go back and stop gym from shutting down, putting her own dreams on hold to help sisters out.

She became stronger trainer over time learning to understand water types better. She got over Gyarados fear and complex imposed on her by sisters.

But at end of the day Misty did not received how to say this enough character development. Leaving many questions unanswered with her unceremonious drop to Cerulean gym not helping things either. Not moving neither character or her ideals, dreams and story at this point. Not anymore since she is forgotten with updates never happening. Or most importantly clearing up what will come of her future.

At very least Misty should had receive actual closure.
Writers left her at gym leaving things unfinished and undefined never being set up direction in what way things will play out in future for her. With May, Dawn, Serena even Brock are least we know to what regions they went showing to be making steps forward in their dreams. But with Misty and whole water master career they left things lingering in air not changing career but also not being cleared up if she will stay at gym or leave it at some point mainly taking it over due to plexus of circumstances.

Making it clear in chronicles how main reason behind remaining at gym is incompetent sisters not having anyone to rely on in taking care of gym with care and respect. But also never changing her primary goal of wishing to become water pokemon master and E4 material of trainer some day. Implying desire to hit road again.

Making her whole situation and story in itself complicated and unresolved.

Well, she did fix her relationship with Excadrill and had some development with Dragonite. Axew never got stronger and Emolga listened to her because...reasons. Misty never tried to improve her relationship with Psyduck or any of her Pokemon. Psyduck was disobedient from beggining to end.

Psyduck wasn't disobedient, but extremely clueless and handicapped. Misty tried on more than one occasion to do something about that as showed when she tried to teach him swim or better perform attacks. But Psyduck didn't even got message across.

With pokemon with such issues Im sure Ash would have just as much issue.

Not to mention Misty trained her pokemon too. It was mentioned more than once and referenced her training of Staryu, Corsola, Poliwhirl etc. Granted big majority happened of screen being just mentioned but that doesn't deny fact that she was training her pokemon. While helping her pokemon about their personal problems. Most of such episodes happened in Johto. Like in Seaking fishing contest helping Poliwhirl about self confidence issues and teaching him to trust in his qualities when facing Poliwrath for example.

Misty actually had many memorable moments of improving relationship with her pokemon or getting development herself, but hey it happened in Johto. And since Johto is universally hated and forgotten people don't count anything which happened there.

Likewise contrary to popular belief Misty did several things helping her to grow as trainer, learned about all kind of new pokemon, battled various trainers, experienced all kind of diverse competitions(Seaking contest, Princess festival, Alto Mare race, pokemon race where Ash won with Rapidash, Whirl Cup which explored on water master title to extent etc etc. Advancing her dream of becoming water pokemon master despite that not happening as much as it should have.

People often forget how Misty had and going by her reactions/dialogue in hosos still has bigger dreams than being gym leader. So her reaction over taking over gym was only natural. Any other reaction wouldn't really stayed faithful to her personality , ambitions and goals.

Last edited:
So im baffled by amount of bias and false information going around in this thread. More so in Misty case.
Almost no one has any Misty-bias here, from what I've inferred. From here, and the M20 thread, it seems as if you're biased in favour of Misty.

Fort start growing up without parents and having to put up with three older sisters who viewed here as incompetent trainer saying they're far more skilled than her.
Saying more than once how Misty is weak trainer not having any faith in her being able to put up a fight at gym or anywhere(which was brought up time after time such as when Misty met Coastline gym leader Dorian).
Do you have an older sibling? I have one, and he teases me like crazy. You're just exaggerating the normal older-sibling teasing here. It was just immature teasing, and not much more than that. The sisters were 'better' only made it worse.

Alongside Misty feelings growing in something we can call case of young love. Fighting with storm of emotions causing conflict inside her regarding way she started to view Ash eventually.
I'd prefer to call it a childhood crush. Don't forget that they were supposed to be 10 year olds.

That being said her Poliwag line,
She was quite dejected when her poliwhirl evolved into Politoed. She wasn't much too thrilled about the evolution. It was accidental, and Misty clearly preferred Poliwrath over Politoed from what I remember. She just tried to put up with it.

Second was Psyduck.
This pokemon contrary to people belief was never meant to play role in exploring Misty capabilities as trainer. It served another noble purpose of making Misty soften up as person. Start to develop tolerance toward other pokemon in not judging them by looks and their solely positive sides. Growing to love and accept her pokemon despite being handicapped in simply not being able to learn how to swim or battle properly,. Due to mental deficiencies presenting much, much greater obstacle and challenge to bring inner strength of such pokemon on surface than it would be situation with normally functional pokemon.

Because it was not about discipline or lack of it. But Psyduck itself being special case not being normal member of its specie. Yet still possessing humongous internal energy and power that no other Psyduck to this day possess(observers for a reason were shocked every time Misty Psyduck unleashed psychic energy accumulated in that small creature exceeding power well above many other psychic pokemon as mentioned once). Being true task and challenge to have it learn how to tame it.

Misty' maximum attitude from seeing Psyduck out of it's Pokeball ever was "GET BACK!" She clearly looked ready to embrace psyduck only, and only when it released a Psychic energy attack.
I remember misty trying to slam something on psyduck's head to make it release energy. Not what you'd call the best attitude.

I was going to say Serena, but I read some of the posts and I agree that Bonnie probably had the best storyline in the anime. She's shown plenty of potential as a trainer, breeder, and coordinator all at once throughout the series, and her ability to befriend nearly every pokemon without prejudice and bias was respectful and sincere. She is so badass that she even befriended a monstrous legendary and stood her ground even when it was about to kill her. I'd say the final attack on Lysandre was all thanks to her since without her friendship with Squishy, they would have never been able to persuade the second Zygarde to side with them. She's the most important character in the XY, XY&Z series because without her, Lysandre would have taken over the world.

Let's be honest: Zygarde would have saved Kalos without Bonnie's help. That is its role and the fact that it needed any convincing is a plot contrivance. To make matters worse, Squishy was able to transform into Complete Forme in the movie without the other core...

That said, Bonnie is sure as hell more impressive than Serena.

PkmnTrainerV said:
She was quite dejected when her poliwhirl evolved into Politoed. She wasn't much too thrilled about the evolution. It was accidental, and Misty clearly preferred Poliwrath over Politoed from what I remember. She just tried to put up with it.
She was happy when her Poliwhirl evolved. The only problem is that it happened so late that Politoed never got to shine in battle. At least Poliwhirl did (the most impressive victory being against Trinity's Gyarados in the Whirl Cup).

Last edited:
She was happy when her Poliwhirl evolved. The only problem is that it happened so late that Politoed never got to shine in battle. At least Poliwhirl did (the most impressive victory being against Trinity's Gyarados in the Whirl Cup)

From what I remember, she wasn't too thrilled with Politoed's new mannerisms. I may be wrong, and I'm ready to accept if this is so.

Give this a read. She may have been taken aback by its personality at first, since it was a jarring change, but she thought it was cute and clearly embraced its cheerleading aspect.

Overall, I think that her Staryu, Corsola, Politoed (albeit as a Poliwhirl) and Gyarados are more impressive battling-wise than Dawn's stars, which are Piplup, Mamoswine and copycat Quilava. I can't count Ambipom, which was really trained by Ash and ended up leaving Dawn on a whim, or Togekiss which was handed to her on a silver platter and never won anything. Buneary and Pachirisu were good for appeals, but I am talking about battles.

For May, only Blaziken and Beautifly were impressive. Her Skitty and Squirtle were obnoxiously overpowered, and she never had to work for Glaceon or the briefly shown Wartortle and Venusaur.

Iris had Excadrill, Emolga and (the highly controversial) Dragonite. Since none of her Pokemon ever evolved on-screen, I have to place her lower than May.

Serena... Yeah. Braixen had some battles against Team Rocket and Team Flare, I guess.

Last edited:
Bonnie is the only female character that was somewhat involved in the villain arc, like it or not and Dawn didn't change much but she got the focus and it was the closest to a "new" protagonist we will ever get. Don't downplay it to make Misty look better

But when talking about story which makes you symphatize with character, Sad background leaving negative effect on someone psyche witnessing to character having to grow up fast not experiencing normal childhood.

This thread isn't for people to talk about the character they sympathize the most. It's about being objective and saying which character was written the best. Dawn is the best written female companion regardless of how much you sympathize with her.

The negative effect you're talking about was so devastating we could even say Misty was suicidal. Yeah I'm kidding, that never happened. Dawn being bullied by her classmates in kindergarten had a more negative impact on her life than anything Misty's sisters ever did to her. She became traumatized of Plusle and Minun and she had that fear used against her in front of a crowd. And it was being broadcast on television for millions to watch too. It was so humiliating to her that she became paralyzed in fear and only got herself back up after some encouragement from her Pokémon.

We never had a remotely similar situation with Misty. She still got along with her sisters and she never displayed any signs of a person with severe emotional damage. And you're talking like she was tortured and as if her life was a living hell when in fact it was just three older more beautiful sisters teasing their younger ugly sister. It was played for laughs and was never presented as something Misty had to overcome in order to move on with her life. Please stop making this a big deal. It's embarrassing.

There you go. Anyone who doesn't think Misty is the best female ever is automatically a hater. The information is legit and deep down you know it.

They downplayed her heavily being viewed as "useless runt" causing revolt in character wanting to prove that she is better than them which set up ground for leaving gym and later deciding to become water master in first place. Because of them she toughen up ,often hiding her insecurity and self doubts with rough attitude when compared to "sensational trio".

Misty wasn't running away from her sisters. She was living her ordinary life and fishing at a lake when Ash stole her bike and she decided to go after him because her bike was destroyed. She wasn't tired of her sisters or trying to become a Water Pokémon Master, she wanted money for a new bike. That's it.

If proving herself worthy was so important, if becoming a respected Trainer and getting the admiration of her sisters was so essential to her, I think she would have continued on with her life and do whatever she had to do instead of stalking a rookie Trainer who could not help her develop her skills.

However Misty also knew very well how in case of not returning gym would end up closed destroying family tradition. Deciding to force on herself gym leader responsibilities for current time out of necessity. In nutshell felt it was her responsibility to take care of things and put her own dreams on hold which is very strong another quality she has being testament to unselfish and competent side she has.
Revealing another aspect of how much Misty grew responsible and changed as character.

What? No. Misty's sisters were terrible Gym Leaders since forever and Misty knew it. If she had any respect for family tradition she would not have left the Gym in the first place on the hands of her incompetent sisters.

She only returned to the Gym because that's how the writers decided to write her out of the show. During all the time she traveled with Ash and Brock she never mentioned her desire to get stronger to eventually return to the Gym and make her absent parents proud or something.

And it makes me laugh whenever I see people using double standards to try and defend their favorite characters. I've seen many people criticizing the way Brock was written out of the show. How he "suddenly" decided to become a Pokémon Doctor. Brock had multiple episodes in which he was shown taking care of sick and injured Pokémon. We have an episode titled Doc Brock! in the middle of the Diamond & Pearl series before anyone even knew Brock would become a Doctor. Yet people say it's something that came out of nowhere. But someway somehow Misty returning to the Cerulean Gym shows how much she changed over the course of the series and how responsible she is and how she is willing to put her dreams on hold to keep the Gym open.

Than there is her relationship with Ash.
In fact Misty developed ill argue closer bond than most other girls did with Ash. Becoming basically like family as Misty mentioned to her friend Sakura in episode "Espeon Included!". Ash crying only when Misty and Brock were leaving him meaning world to each other.

You can't expect Ash to cry each time he says goodbye. You can't say Ash likes Misty the most because he cried when she left. And once again you're being unfair to Brock. Ash traveled with Brock in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, another trip around Kanto, and finally Sinnoh. In the end all he got was a handshake. By your logic Ash must hate Brock.

Its enough to compare her battle abilities during Whirl Islands or in battle against Molly in third movie to Kanto, and it becomes apparent that her skills were raised. That being said her Poliwag line, Staryu and Corsola showed improvement too becoming more resistant, and learning new attacks over course of OS through training.

There wasn't much on screen work, but there were provided references of of screen training.

The fact each time we're talking about Misty's battling skills you have to bring up that one battle against Molly in the third movie is extremely sad. Everyone's Pokémon get a power boost in movies because they have to battle against powerful Legendary and Mythical Pokémon.

Most of Misty's battles were lame. Battles in the original series were very short and some of Misty's battles were used as comedy relief. See Psyduck's headache power boost for reference.

And off-screen training? Really? Do you take that into consideration? Best Wishes series' Ash must be the most amazingly skilled Trainer in recorded history.

We also saw her learning to better understand her pokemon creating closer bond with them with there being quite a few episodes focusing on her trainer career. Such as "Tentacool and Tentacruel!" where Misty was ashamed by her water trainer skills not understanding what Horsea tried to say. hem with there being quite a few episodes focusing on her trainer career. in "For Crying Out Loud" where she got over her personal differences trying to protect Marill leaning to understand him better. When she helped Poliwhirl to overcome self esteem issues in "Hook, Line and Stinker", when blaming herself for forcing Staryu and Poliwhirl too much in battle, or when blaming herself for Gyarados going on rampage in chronicles not being sure if she is cut out for this task for example.

It saddens me to see that you have to use Misty's interactions with Pokémon that appeared in the grand total of one episode to make her look like a good Trainer. Misty helping or protecting these Pokémon means very very little. Literally EVERY character who has traveled with Ash goes out of his or her way to protect Pokémon. I don't see how that sets Misty apart.

And although you provided some solid examples of Misty blaming herself for her Pokémon's poor battling skills or bad attitude, that's hardly something that makes her stand out. Dawn's Mamoswine went batshit insane in the Lilypad Contest in Dressed for Jess Success! but Dawn acted all calm and collected and said it wasn't Mamoswine's fault that they were not in sync. She was blaming herself. Serena, who I have criticized so much in the past few years when writing reviews of XY series episodes, said she was sorry after running away from her Pokémon when they started fighting in Battling with Elegance and a Big Smile!.

Even when consumed by my burning hatred towards Iris I can see that she got Excadrill and Dragonite to obey her. She made little effort since Cilan was the one who figured out why Excadrill was sad and all Iris had to do was say she was sorry. And with Dragonite she just used it in battle and yelled at it until one day the orange winged Barney decided it was time to listen to her.

Dawn had problems with Buizel but Lucian helped her with that. He pointed out that she had to adapt herself to Buizel's battling style and after hearing his advice she put it into practice, eventually learning how Buizel likes to battle and changing her way of commanding a Pokémon to get the best out of Buizel. She had another rebellious Pokémon in Mamoswine and by using the first aid techniques she learned from Brock she was able to earn Mamoswine's respect. She also had trouble dealing with Togekiss but in the end she managed to use Togekiss's abilities to her advantage.

So even if what you're saying about Misty's problems with her Pokémon is true she isn't the only girl who had to face these kind of problems. Other girls went through similar situations and the writers handled it a little better. Especially in the case of Dawn and Mamoswine, as this wasn't a thing that got resolved in one single episode. Even after Mamoswine started obeying her, Dawn still had problems with it in the Lilypad Contest as I mentioned before.

Last but not the least two pokemon in Misty arsenal were catalyst through which Misty developed maybe not so much as trainer. But in emotional aspect its a whole another story.

First being Togepi with new burden of having to learn how to take care of fragile baby pokemon exploring on various sides to her personality showing she had more than just temper and violent tendencies to herself. Learning how to be more compassionate and understanding of other people needs.

Second was Psyduck.

I can't. I just can't. Calling Togepi a burden and Psyduck mentally challenged (I don't know the proper term in English so I apologize in advance if this offends anyone) is just too much to me. It just goes to show how far you're willing to go to make a case about Misty being mature and a good Trainer.

Misty's personality change in Johto is due to Ash no longer being a dumb Trainer who needs someone to laugh at his face and yell what he's doing wrong. It was never because she was becoming a more mature person. This is easily shown through her interactions with Psyduck which remained largely the same. The Johto saga ended and Misty was still annoyed every time her Psyduck popped out of its Poké Ball.

And I never said Misty was a one-dimensional character. I am well aware that she was more than just a crazy person who easily loses her shit and starts beating the living crap out of whoever pissed her off. It wasn't Togepi that showed me that Misty had a soft side to her. Misty was always shown to be a romantic person.

In nutshell way i see it Misty importance lied in providing humor and colorful dynamic to cast providing identity to anime with strong presence.

And no one is denying that. Misty's interactions with Ash and Brock were good. I said in this very thread that she developed a real friendship with Ash. That however does not change the fact her storylines were poorly written. Like Shoutmon said, you can like a character and admit this...

But at end of the day Misty did not received how to say this enough character development.

As you did here, I guess?

No one here is trying to say you're in the wrong side if you like Misty. You're free to relate to her, to like her personality and her Pokémon, but let's not pretend her storylines were fantastic. They weren't. The writing around Misty is really weak.

Making these wall texts is tiresome. I've presented facts about Misty instead of making nonsensical interpretations to try and convince others that a crappy story is a good one. I don't want to continue with this discussion. I rest my case. Anyone involved in this is doomed to talk in circles and I have no interest in doing that. So I'll walk out now because clearly Misty is the best thing the anime had to offer and no character will ever be as good.

Almost no one has any Misty-bias here, from what I've inferred. From here, and the M20 thread, it seems as if you're biased in favour of Misty.

Im referring to bias not being in favor of Misty character but against it.
People formed this weird impression along the lines of: All i see is: "Mist was pathetic trainer, her pokemon were boring. Misty did not played any role in Ash growth as trainer, she had zero character development, she was terrible friend "abusing poor Ash", she had personality of brick" etc, etc.

Basically she hardly gets any recognition and respect at all.
In my case im only giving credit where credit is due finding Misty to be a lot better character than its formed impression around here.

Do you have an older sibling? I have one, and he teases me like crazy. You're just exaggerating the normal older-sibling teasing here. It was just immature teasing, and not much more than that. The sisters were 'better' only made it worse.

There exists difference between teasing and emotional downplaying shaking up Misty beliefs of selfworth and confidence.
If this wasn't treated as issue than bringing of sisters wouldn't be treated as sensitive subject for Misty character every single time.

If there wasn't inferiority complex she wouldn't leave gym trying to prove how she is better than sisters are. She wouldn't be so hesitant about Ash and Brock going to Cerulean trying to avoid encounter with Daisy and others again.

She wouldn't reveal to Ash and Brock more of of her childhood in episodes like "Princess vs Princess" explaining why it is important for her to win doll set and prove her sisters that she is good enough to have her own collection. Talking how she always got rupture pieces being treated as outcast wanting to show how she can succeed on her own.

There wouldn't be links provided between other characters like Mikey and Sakura and their dissidence with older siblings, with Misty being able to relate to them directly stating how she had same problem with her sisters helping them to find way to overcome their differences.

There wouldn't be abrupt reactions from her side when "sensational trio "was referred as superior than she was. We can see that for example when battling unofficial gym leader Dorian being bothered alot when he talked how sisters are "better than her" wanting to win battle at any cost.
She felt need to prove how she is just as good as her sisters are wanting to defend her reputation as water trainer.

Whenever Misty skills were put in question, whenever sisters were brought up and portrayed as "superior" this caused turmoils in character feeling need to prove herself to others and receive confirmation to her trainer skills.
She felt insecure not being sure if she can measure herself up to sensational trio often reacting abruptly to hide vulnerability ,which is typical defense mechanism if you have low self esteem about something.

Some could try to argue how sisters started to respect her already in Kanto starting with Misty Mermaid and they would be right partially. Problem was that they still considered themselves as superior in every aspect, which caused frustration and anger in Misty wanting to prove to them that she is just as good as they are. Saving gym from being shut down was just final act of everything which was build up over the years with character proving her worth to them. Thanks to their respect she not only became more confident, but she also became more proud of skills and abilities not feeling inferior to them anymore. Which helped to her self esteem which was incomparably higher in chronicles and AG cameos as opposite to Kanto.

This isn't debatable at all with differences between character behavior in canon supporting that.

I'd prefer to call it a childhood crush. Don't forget that they were supposed to be 10 year olds.

Id say it was more than just subplot played for comedy purposes honestly. AS showed when she was crying whenever Ash was in danger or when he was dead in Lavender town briefly. Character experiencing emotional conflicts and doubts inside her such as when being torn between staying with gym leadere Rudy who could offer her all the luxury and continue traveling with Ash. Realizing Ash means too much for her.

Being heartbroken over having to leave at end of Johto with Ash careless statement of "how she must be happy that she got her bike back and can go back home now" hurting her heavily. Being disappointed that he thought how she was traveling with him just for stupid bike to get back.

Misty dedication being best showed in chronicles in "Date with Delcatty!" episode when she rejected Georgio offer to go on daste because "she loves someone else" feeling highly dis comfortable.

Backed by various jealousy outbursts, whenever love was brought up Misty trying to change quickly subject an d deny what she feels. Despite knowing very well how she has affection toward Ash not being sure herself how to feel about it and what is right thing to do.

I mean im not shipper , but looking back it was obvious how beside Serena Misty also developed pretty strong love feelings over time for Ash character. Difference was that in Misty case this didn't happened immediately but over time gradually starting to view Ash in different light developing romantic affection toward him influencing her storyline as one of subplots(another one which was left without closure beside her goals).

She wasn't dejected or repulsed,. Do you even remember episode clearly when this happened? It was in "Outragenous Fortunes!". Misty yes expected he will evolve in Poliwrath. but while she was caught by surprise not expecting Poliwhirl would evolve in Politoad. Since it wasn't something she expected(perfectly reasonable reaction) at end of day Misty was happy with her new pokemon caring for it.

This was showed pretty well in "I Politoad You so! episode from Johto where she was worried over what happened to her Politoad when he ended up switched with cheerleader Tammy's standing up for her own Politoad and how she treats her pokemon harshly being too much driven by desire to win in cheerleading contest no matter what. Showing Misty appreciated Politoad as specie just as much as any other water pokemon.

Her love for Politoad was never doubtful.

Misty' maximum attitude from seeing Psyduck out of it's Pokeball ever was "GET BACK!" She clearly looked ready to embrace psyduck only, and only when it released a Psychic energy attack.
I remember misty trying to slam something on psyduck's head to make it release energy. Not what you'd call the best attitude.

That happened in beginning soon after catching it when Misty still did not warmed up to Psyduck.

If you rewatch OS you would notice how during early Kanto days Psyduck was not on list of Misty favorite pokemon during that time. She accidentally captured it regretting that. Later through series growing to care despite her pride causing her in not being willing to admit that. Such as in episode when Psyduck got missing being in panic or not wanting to get rid of her pokemon when gym leader Koga suggested her that after being shocked by its psychic powers.
Episode "Just Add Water!" from Johto best showed how much Misty changed in accepting Psyduck for who he was risking her life to save it from TR mecha with her relationship with yellow dick ending strengthened.

Another case of culmination of long and gradual character development from Mistyside.

This thread isn't for people to talk about the character they sympathize the most. It's about being objective and saying which character was written the best. Dawn is the best written female companion regardless of how much you sympathize with her.

And objectively speaking im not denying how Dawn was better written in some aspects compared to other girls. But in all as far as development and story goes?

Well with all due respect that's hardly the case imo.

The negative effect you're talking about was so devastating we could even say Misty was suicidal. Yeah I'm kidding, that never happened. Dawn being bullied by her classmates in kindergarten had a more negative impact on her life than anything Misty's sisters ever did to her. She became traumatized of Plusle and Minun and she had that fear used against her in front of a crowd. And it was being broadcast on television for millions to watch too. It was so humiliating to her that she became paralyzed in fear and only got herself back up after some encouragement from her Pokémon.

We never had a remotely similar situation with Misty. She still got along with her sisters and she never displayed any signs of a person with severe emotional damage. And you're talking like she was tortured and as if her life was a living hell when in fact it was just three older more beautiful sisters teasing their younger ugly sister. It was played for laughs and was never presented as something Misty had to overcome in order to move on with her life. Please stop making this a big deal. It's embarrassing.

Your right we didn't had similar, but actually more polished and substantial situation with Misty character compared to what Dawn experienced.

Because in contrast despite words of reassuring, encouragement, emotional help from friends and surrounding it took Misty long time to realize she has her own qualities being just as good and actually better than her sisters were. Actually it wasn't until her battle vs gym leader Dorian finished followed by recognition that that part of her storyline was closed down.

I could list various examples to prove why inferiority complex existed inside Misty character with sisters contributing to that. Being much more than joke played for laughs.

Something you seem to be under impression was focal point of Misty story. Being "nonexistent big farse".
If something is treated as complex needing to be solved writers will show through character behavior, moments of insecurity, anger or frustration if something warrants to be treated as issue which needs resolving. And as we can see through canon majority of time Misty sisters were brought up downgrading Misty abilities, this caused frustration and insecurity in character wanting to prove them wrong.

Daisy said and ill directly cite "how Misty said she wont return back until she becomes water master". During first part of episode Misty tried to speak Ash out from going to Cerulean gym clearly wanting to avoid encounter with Daisy and others again. She didn't felt comfortable about coming back to gym knowing her past and as we can see during whole episode when sisters teased her about being "useless runt" this caused anger and frustration in character implying how main reason she left gym was because of being tired from living in their shadow constantly being portrayed as "sensational trio"which has beauty, fame, talent, while she was always discarded as "useless".

Something which was later confirmed through several examples. Such as "Princess vs Princess", In "Around the Whirlpool"she stated how she will show her sisters that she can become water master. In "Just Add Water" she was upset over Dorian glorifying Daisy and others and their claims of of her being "useless runt" wanting to prove that she's better trainer than them etc.

Yes at times there were added elements of comedy to make Misty ongoing problems and broken relationship with sisters feel more lighthearted censoring things out fir kids show.
But thing is how something can contain elements of comedy and still be treated as flaw, issue which creates obstacle on character path needing to be resolved.

Just because Misty issue with sisters wasn't treated as cohesive story which was brought up in almost every episode doesn't mean complex didn't existed with episodes which focused on Misty, moments where she showed determination to prove them wrong and moments of weakness directly supporting through canon how there existed complex of feeling less worthy wanting to prove her worth.

But want proof? Ok watch episodes where Misty bonded with others who had issues with their older siblings directly stating how she has/had same problem with her sisters wanting to prove them wrong.

There you go. Anyone who doesn't think Misty is the best female ever is automatically a hater. The information is legit and deep down you know it.

I never accused anyone of being hater. But do people give Misty enough credit and recognition as far as her battle abilities, character development, dreams, unused potential, stamina, pokemon and goals go?

They clearly do not with Misty in reality being very underrated character.

Misty wasn't running away from her sisters. She was living her ordinary life and fishing at a lake when Ash stole her bike and she decided to go after him because her bike was destroyed. She wasn't tired of her sisters or trying to become a Water Pokémon Master, she wanted money for a new bike. That's it.

If proving herself worthy was so important, if becoming a respected Trainer and getting the admiration of her sisters was so essential to her, I think she would have continued on with her life and do whatever she had to do instead of stalking a rookie Trainer who could not help her develop her skills.

Explained above. Misty left gym before she even met Ash both because of being fed up with her older siblings and constant degrading. But also because she wanted to explore world, catch new pokemon, work toward her dreams of becoming water pokemon master and reaching E4 Lorelei her idol standards.

So if Misty left gym for good as her sisters brought up more than once in Kanto, how could bile be even factor in whole thing when it happened only after Misty already left gym starting her own journey?

And your making huge fallacy in here. Because by having Misty stay at gym in which three sisters were in charge wouldn't allow her to get out of their shadow, have character develop and recognize its qualities. It wouldn't allow to develop and advance her very own dreams or gain much needed independence fighting up for herself. If she never left that place.

What? No. Misty's sisters were terrible Gym Leaders since forever and Misty knew it. If she had any respect for family tradition she would not have left the Gym in the first place on the hands of her incompetent sisters.

Except Misty sisters were in charge of Cerulean gym being main gym leaders not having faith in Misty being good enough material to give challengers run for their money.
Moreover Misty wasn't even aware of in how terrible position Cerulean gym found itself until end of Johto and sisters careless causing Cerulean gym to almost end up shut down. You cant blame character for something of he wasn't aware and familiarized with current situation.

Not to mention Misty had/has higher ambitions than just being gym leader and in case of responsible substitute being fund top keep family tradition treated with respect and honor. Chances are she would go on journey to make further progress toward accomplishing her very own dreams.

You can try to argue and call that selfish. But than same could be said for Brock who left his gym position to pursue other goals, yet he still cared for gym to end up in good hands making him sure how family tradition wont be dishonored.

She only returned to the Gym because that's how the writers decided to write her out of the show. During all the time she traveled with Ash and Brock she never mentioned her desire to get stronger to eventually return to the Gym and make her absent parents proud or something.

Two things in here. If your gonna use out of anime universe examples to solidify your position, than same could be said about every fictional character exit, their choices, reactions and progression not being result of character development or story transition.

With everything happening in pokemon show being because writers and directors said so.

And while you wouldn't be wrong since fictional characters don't exist not having will, whole point of this topic and discussion about fictional female characters is meaningless losing on its credibility and value.

In anime universe reason behind Misty coming back to gym was due to being put in front of wall ending left with no choice.

Second; im not sure if you understand premise behind Misty story and desire to prove her worth to sisters and others.
It was never about Misty becoming full fledged gym leader. Misty wanted to prove herself as just as good or better than her sisters were while following her own dreams and career. Career which involved experiencing all kind of adventures, learning about new mysteries about water specie in oceans and seas becoming water pokemon master.

This was even confirmed canonically in Whirl Islands how she will show her sisters what kind of trainer she is burning with passion and desire to become water master making name for herself in world.

Reason why Misty ended up going back to gym was because of that same gym being left unattended staying after witnessing how her sisters are completely irresponsible and ignorant.

Similar to how Brock had other dreams wanting to travel and become best breeder. But also not wanting to throw away family tradition(gym) caring for it and not being ready to leave until valid substitute shows up.

In same situation Misty was put ever since her removal from show.

But someway somehow Misty returning to the Cerulean Gym shows how much she changed over the course of the series and how responsible she is and how she is willing to put her dreams on hold to keep the Gym open.

Because that's what Misty essentially did. She wanted to get out of sisters shadow and prove her worth but by doing so while following her own much higher ambitions than remaining gym leader. Act of her being ready to sacrifice her own dreams putting the on hold and taking on shoulders responsibility to save family tradition was testament to Misty newborn responsibility and devotion.

You can't expect Ash to cry each time he says goodbye. You can't say Ash likes Misty the most because he cried when she left. And once again you're being unfair to Brock. Ash traveled with Brock in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, another trip around Kanto, and finally Sinnoh. In the end all he got was a handshake. By your logic Ash must hate Brock.

I never said that Ash not crying for others meant he likes them less.
But fact is how Misty and Ash developed very close friendship standing up to test of time and alongside Brock developing such bond, mutual understanding, love and respect that no other future main cast ever was able to replicate. Let alone surpass it.
That involves not just Misty, But Brock too.

The fact each time we're talking about Misty's battling skills you have to bring up that one battle against Molly in the third movie is extremely sad. Everyone's Pokémon get a power boost in movies because they have to battle against powerful Legendary and Mythical Pokémon.

So your only going to accept examples which support your theory, while discarding those which counter your arguments? This is called cherry picking and its fallacy. In debate its expected that you back up your claims with examples which support your argument, not mattering if example is from series or movie itself (which is treated as canon as well).Hence why im bringing up battles from movie as well.

And if it was true how everyone pokemon get "boost" in movies than why Brock pokemon were so quickly defeated vs Molly pokemon, while Misty fared much better against her? Ash and friends pokemon strength remained on normal level limited to their species, while Molly used mirage pokemon which were said they are 10 times stronger than normal ones.

Fact that Misty held her ground with Staryu vs such power was only possible because of her resourcefulness, battling skills and innovative strategies compensating fir lack of power through resistance and smart use of what she had on disposal.

Most of Misty's battles were lame. Battles in the original series were very short and some of Misty's battles were used as comedy relief. See Psyduck's headache power boost for reference.

Whether Misty battles were lame or interesting is subjective territory.
Point is how Misty skills did not remained stagnant improving during her run in OS. Because if trainer doesn't train and improves he begins to stagnate with tooth of time eroding battling abilities of your pokemon and trainer itself. If you don't work on finding new ways to battle with your pokemon and implement new approach in battles you only become worse with time.

Otherwise she wouldn't be able to keep up with Ash improvement as trainer and have better success in battles including water environment as Whirl Cup and battle against Dorian showed.

If she didn't improve we wouldn't saw Poliwhirl defeating evolved form Poliwrath or Totodile, Corsola crushing Gyarados and Quilfish, Staryu defeating Mariana Tentacruel with one attack. As opposite to pretty poor abilities she demonstrated in Kanto where Starmie easily lost to Graveler rolling attack, Staryu having small trouble in defeating Meowth with MIsty not being skilled in same manner like she was in Johto where she won alot more of her battles.

There wouldn't be work on developing new attacks to counter other types enriching move pool of her pokemon; such as Gyarados learning flamethrower, Luvdisc ice beam, Corsola bubble beam,. Goldeen supersonic etc.

She entered several battles with her skills as trainer beginning to gradually improve like winning Princess festival on first try showing knowledge of how to use properly other type of pokemon in battle beside water,came top 8 in prestige water tournament (Whirl cup) on first try claiming herself how she came that far thanks to intense training she went through with Corsola. Won Seaking contest defeating several years in row champion of it Andreas ,beat several trainers like Marina controlling wild Golduck like it was hers etc.

And off-screen training? Really? Do you take that into consideration? Best Wishes series' Ash must be the most amazingly skilled Trainer in recorded history.

That was standard for OS. Ash was hardly if ever showed training on screen as well. Showing such things were not among writers priorities at that time finding it was enough just to add here and there references to this still happening wanting to have time for other for them at that time of higher importance things.

Now people may find this shocking but Misty trained her pokemon, just like any other character does. It was rarely showed on screen but it happened of screen with several references confirming that.

For example in episode during Whirl Islands "Plant it now, Diglett Later" Ash makes a mention that they recently competed in the Whirl Cup, and Misty mentions that all the hours of training that she put in with Corsola gave her the edge in the competition.

That's direct reference to off-screen training for Misty. Same goes for "Octillery the Outcast" where Misty asks Marcellus to have sparing training with Corsola against Remoread not having chance to train it much yet.
Or when water trainer Marina from Orange Islands for example complimented on Misty training her Staryu really well when just one water gun was enough to knock down Tentacruel. With Misty stating how all that hard work with her pokemon payed of.

It saddens me to see that you have to use Misty's interactions with Pokémon that appeared in the grand total of one episode to make her look like a good Trainer. Misty helping or protecting these Pokémon means very very little. Literally EVERY character who has traveled with Ash goes out of his or her way to protect Pokémon. I don't see how that sets Misty apart.

So even if what you're saying about Misty's problems with her Pokémon is true she isn't the only girl who had to face these kind of problems. Other girls went through similar situations and the writers handled it a little better. Especially in the case of Dawn and Mamoswine, as this wasn't a thing that got resolved in one single episode. Even after Mamoswine started obeying her, Dawn still had problems with it in the Lilypad Contest as I mentioned before.

Irrelevant to discussion because whether other girls faced similar issues has nothing to do with subject. Since it was challenged how Misty had no growth experienced through pokemon or had any significant moments of bonding with them growing as result of that.

It was never about whose moments oif creating trust and faith between trainer and pokemon was written better.

And did Misty had moments where her knowledge as trainer was put to test having to find common language with her or some other pokemon developing through such interactions. Answer is yes and it happened for record in multiple episodes and not just one.

In episode with Marill we saw Misty bonding with water pokemon learning to understand his feelings and overcome annoyance saving its life focusing on her caring side and independence, which resulted in creating strong friendship and emotional growth for character.

In Gyarados situation when gym was in danger of being closed down she learned how to reach to his heart and understand feelings earning his thrust and respect. Getting over that fear was significant to Misty because it gave needed muscle to her team, doing notable step forward as water trainer being testament to her strength and independence.

She also managed to connect on closer level with her pokemon which can be noticed in special bond she created with Staryu as well helping her pokmon to get over their flaws.Like it was case with Poliwhirl which had confidence issues when being bullied by Andras Poliwrath encouraging him to believe in itself helping to restore self-esteem back managing to turn match in its favor beating evolved form.

Perhaps best example can be found in Psyduck. At first Misty was always annoyed by his clueless, dense demeanor viewing duck useless.There were times she tried to apply physical force (such as trying to throw bike at him), even exchange him. But with time during OI and Johto, as well afterwards Misty grew to appreciate her pokemon regardless of his dumbness growing to like him.

Or with Togepi creating strong bond between trainer and pokemon. Their relationship was like mother-son clearly showing how attached they became to each other, but Misty realized what its best for it with sad heart releasing it.

So Misty clearly had several memorable moments of bonding with pokemon helping her to start looking world and this creatures in different way learning from her mistakes.

I can't. I just can't. Calling Togepi a burden and Psyduck mentally challenged (I don't know the proper term in English so I apologize in advance if this offends anyone) is just too much to me. It just goes to show how far you're willing to go to make a case about Misty being mature and a good Trainer.

I don't see anything controversial about this statements. Togepi was fragile baby and it required lot of attention and care presenting huge obligation, in a way burden for Misty character having to learn how to address his responsibility properly influencing her in becoming more open minded, compassionate and mature over time.

Psyduck was definitely mentally handicapped not being able to comprehend basics in swimming or utilizing attacks in optimal manner. Any trainer would have huge problems in learning how to bring full strength of such pokemon on surface under such conditions.
So Psyduck case doesn't tell anything about Misty being supposedly "incompetent trainer", It only shows how much of challenge and obstacle he represented in her story sending out message how she szill has long way to go before becoming water pokemon master.

Im only stating facts, nothing else.

Misty's personality change in Johto is due to Ash no longer being a dumb Trainer who needs someone to laugh at his face and yell what he's doing wrong. It was never because she was becoming a more mature person. This is easily shown through her interactions with Psyduck which remained largely the same. The Johto saga ended and Misty was still annoyed every time her Psyduck popped out of its Poké Ball.

Misty change started to happen already in second half of Kanto, followed by Orange islands. Joihto wasn't region where she suddenly made 180 degree shift. With her maturity happening gradually over long period of time.

We saw character becoming more timid, self critic and patient which can be evidenced in interactions with several characters like Dorian, Egan or Sakura and way she acted through later half of Johto.Respecting Egan love for fire pokemon after initial strife going between them. Changing her thoughts about Dorian being conceited jerk. Being more tolerant of Ash immature escapades showing in multiple situations how much she grew up.

Like for example after battle for Totodile with Misty taking defeat with dignity(compared to her reaction when she lost in improvised tournament to obtain Togepi egg) saying how she and Ash are friends for long time and how small disagreements and differences over who should get pokemon should not stand in way of their friendship throwing showing clear example of how much Misty really did changed and matured since Kanto days already than.

For instance in "Misty Meets her match!" character was given hard decision to either chose to stay with Rudy or continue traveling with Ash struggling herself in what to do and what are her priorities, "Joy of water pokemon!" when she break down crying because of nurse Joy not wanting to examine her water types crushing one of her childhood dreams, "Some Like it Hot!" when she revealed why is water her favorite type opening herself to fire trainer Egan, "Around the Whirlpool!" when she showed huge desire to win whole tournament explaining to Ash and Brock why this is so much important to her.

Inconsistent development and story=/= not having growth at all.

And I never said Misty was a one-dimensional character. I am well aware that she was more than just a crazy person who easily loses her shit and starts beating the living crap out of whoever pissed her off. It wasn't Togepi that showed me that Misty had a soft side to her. Misty was always shown to be a romantic person.

No, but Togepi helped to accentuate some of more dormant traits which made Misty personality but were often overshadowed by her violent, abrasive side. Making character feel more complete.

And no one is denying that. Misty's interactions with Ash and Brock were good. I said in this very thread that she developed a real friendship with Ash. That however does not change the fact her storylines were poorly written. Like Shoutmon said, you can like a character and admit this...

Admit what? How Misty was character with virtually no character development or real storyline?
Because while i respect your opinion and stance regarding Misty character development.

Its still just opinion, not a fact.
Making it seem like we were watching different anime because she developed as character in my book without any doubt. We saw her getting over complex of feeling less worthy compared to Daisy and others becoming more confident in herself. She became better battler over course of OS than she was in Kanto , putting more effort in her own dreams which were focused the most in Johto (granted it wasn't enough but still there was more emphasis on water master career there, than it was in first 2 regions). More than it was case at very least for Iris.
She learned how to better cope with responsibility which can be noticed when despite wanting to continue traveling with Ash, she realized how gym will get closed down deciding to help out, saving gym from passing inspection getting everything back on right track. It can be noticed she grew from short tempered girl exploding over everything in more mature and level headed character over time becoming more assertive while keeping her hothead and playful side with difference of not being violent so much?

Additionally Misty had her own goal, her own story, provided humor and helped along with Brock to have Ash grow as trainer being like sort of coach/mentor in early years.

I agree how she wasn't developed as much as she could have been though.
But not being developed enough and not being developed at all are two very different things.

No one here is trying to say you're in the wrong side if you like Misty. You're free to relate to her, to like her personality and her Pokémon, but let's not pretend her storylines were fantastic. They weren't. The writing around Misty is really weak

I never said they were fantastic or even great. Misty dream of becoming water master wasn't explored enough(although Whirl Cup provided plausing outlet through which they could had dive deeper in whole thing). Having imo even more potential for enticing storytelling than what contests were.
Misty pokemon needed more work, fact that her story never received closure, poor exit and insufficient amount of focus(mostly in n middle of Johto(not whole Johto)were all factors which pressured her potential. Thus being poorly handled.

However in emotional aspect, coming of a young age style of character development with new traits inside character personality were born. Various emotions fermenting inside character skillfully hiding conflicts going inside her added her much needed depth.

Gradual maturing, Misty perception on pokemon, world, friends and her own skills were all things which were treated actually very good. surprisingly good invoking in viewer care, sympathy, ti feel sorry for character being able to find yourself in some of his/her problems making you root for him.

With Misty personality growth which ill emphasize is completely different from trainer or goal progression was one of better handled aspects of Misty storyline. Although even there it was left more to be desired.

Making these wall texts is tiresome. I've presented facts about Misty instead of making nonsensical interpretations to try and convince others that a crappy story is a good one. I don't want to continue with this discussion. I rest my case. Anyone involved in this is doomed to talk in circles and I have no interest in doing that. So I'll walk out now because clearly Misty is the best thing the anime had to offer and no character will ever be as good.

That's fine by me, because i have no desire to go in circles either.

But for record since you attacked and challenged my opinions and what i stated in this thread i had no choice but to respond and defend my own views and why i share different opinion and beliefs about this whole subject than you do.

Don't get me wrong i respect your thoughts but i cannot agree with them for several reasons.

Let's be honest: Zygarde would have saved Kalos without Bonnie's help. That is its role and the fact that it needed any convincing is a plot contrivance. To make matters worse, Squishy was able to transform into Complete Forme in the movie without the other core...

Squishy escaped Lysandre's lab before he met Bonnie; I'm pretty sure he wasn't trusting towards humans because of the experiments (which were more like torture) he had to endure. Bonnie accepted Squishy as a friend and provided him protection during their travels, giving him a chance to observe the group and other humans and how they're not so bad. I didn't know that Squishy could turn into 100% Zygardr on his own in the movie (I haven't seen the Volcanion movie), but considering that movie continuities don't exactly fit in with the TV series, the fact that the other Core still needed persuading near the Flare finale is undeniable. Bonnie's role was important overall since she was able to help a legendary change his mind and defeat Team Flare.

As far as I'm new in Bulbagarden I have to say I'm surprised Bonnie is so popular characters actually, I've never seen her as main character ( in XY, I would call ,,main character" only Ash and Serena), rather like...assistant, but I'm glad to read your opinions- As i said, i'm not really into her plot, but the discussion ,,Could squishy save Kalos without her" looks interesting-actually, i think he could, but watching XY I was focused mainly on Serena's plot so I could be wrong :D
It's because Bonnie played an important role as an assistant/apprentice - as she's not old enough to be a trainer - that she is well-written. And I certainly think Squishy may not have cared for humans if it weren't for Bonnie.

And Squishy aside, she's shown to accept every pokemon as they are and aid them during her episodes - ranging from an Espurr who needed help dealing with loss, a lost Lapras and Flabebe, and a baby T-rex. Her unbiased acceptance was probably one of her major characteristics which eventually led to her role gaining Squishy's trust.

Last edited:
Surprised to see so much love for Bonnie. She was so annoying to me.

And uh just because Serena didn't battle much doesn't mean that she's a badly written character? It's not like Bonnie battled either? Anyway there's more to Pokemon than just battling and I think Serena really brought that out because she felt so real in a sense. I really liked that episode where she met Elle and the episode where her Braixen's stick broke. Anyway Serena's episodes were all so mahou shoujo styled so I guess I can see why some wouldn't like it since it's not exactly anyone's cup of tea.

Serena's episodes seemed more like a poor man's version of THE IDOLM@STER than mahou shoujo in all honesty... Otherwise it would have involved more battling. Nanoha and PreCure, anyone?

but considering that movie continuities don't exactly fit in with the TV series,

They fit in no less than fillers, and several movies have been proven to be in-continuity with the show (M01, M02, M08, M10). Unless there are glaring continuity errors or they're totally unable to be reconciled with the TV series (both Victini movies can't be canon at the same time, M16, M20), I see no reason to assume otherwise.

Last edited:
They fit in no less than fillers, and several movies have been proven to be in-continuity with the show (M01, M02, M08, M10). Unless there are glaring continuity errors or they're totally unable to be reconciled with the TV series (both Victini movies can't be canon at the same time, M16, M20), I see no reason to assume otherwise.

Personally, I consider Movie 19 to be non-canon, and the only reason they showed Complete Zygarde was make us all envy the fact that the Team Flare finale wasn't a movie presentation. That would have been a treat to see.

But enough about that. I always like Bonnie and her little story arc with Squishy. She represents the innocence that Squishy comes to admire humans for. And the idea that one of the most powerful Pokémon in the world is under the command of a little girl is too hilarious of an image. She's like Max if Max was less of an insufferable know-it-all and more like a kid.

And she ironically foreshadowed some of the storyline in Sun and Moon.

The best thing that happened to Misty was going back to the Cerulean Gym because it allowed her character to go from being an excuse of a Trainer who sat on her ass waiting to become a Water-type expert by the power of magic dust to a recognized Gym Leader of the Kanto League. That's the progress Misty made and it's really sad because we never saw Misty training her Pokémon and thinking that they had to be competent battlers since one day they would be used in Gym battles. It happened just because the writers needed something to write her out of the show.

To but in a bit. I agree with you to an extent Mikuri. I generally am a fan of Kasumi (especially since she owns my favorite type). Having her be recognized as a Gym Leader of the Kanto League (I've never heard it placed that way before, it actually sounds a lot more official and big time) is better than following Ash around. I get that she was being supportive, yet for her and Brock both, it sorta always bugged me how they started out arguably stronger and more knowledgeable than Ash yet got surpassed by him. It makes sense Ash got so much screentime as the main guy, yet Misty and Brock both have lives to live fully.

That being said Misty staying at the Gym leaves her stagnant as well. Gym Leaders have this unspoken vibe of "I'm meant to be beaten" type thing going on. I think Misty needs to pull a Fantima. I loved her in DP and what she stood for, even in the games. I wish the time warp was not weird and The Whirl Cup was made out to be a bigger theme. That would have been awesome for Misty to train for, sorta like Serena with contests as a stepping stone for her journey.

I dug how Misty technically has 10 to 11 pokemon. That being said she should totally put them to good use. She should pull a May and swap them out while traveling. I love how we saw all of May's 7 pokemon. The only other coordinators with 7 were Dawn and Ursula. Dawn did trade Buizel and release Ambipom, but she still technically owned more than 6 during her run.

Additionally Misty had her own goal, her own story, provided humor and helped along with Brock to have Ash grow as trainer being like sort of coach/mentor in early years.

I agree that she did. I admire how Misty stuck to her water pokemon values. Episodes like The Misty Mermaid, The Totodile Duel, Hook, Line, and Sinker, as well as Bye, Bye, Psyduck were all awesome. Episodes where she caught Poliwag (befriended really) and Corsola were cool too.

Misty needed a lot of work though in terms of development. I say that as a fan of course. She had so much potential and if we ever see her again, I would love to have had her character have done a 180 in terms of work put into her team and goal. As someone who always found Misty's sisters hilarious, it would be nice to hear if they took over the gym for Misty.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom