• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which pokegirl's storyline was written the best?

How about the SM-pokégirls? What do you think about them?
My top five:
1.Serena
2.Dawn
3.May
4.Misty
5.Iris
SM girls? Depends. I like Mallow (especially) and Lillie. When it comes to my fav-
1. Misty
2. Dawn
3.May
4. Mallow
5. Lillie
6. Serena/Iris (funny thing- they were my favourite characters in their series )
8. Lana
9. Bonnie
Of course it's about characters- when it comes to plot, I think Dawn's,May's and Serena's were the best.
. Mallow- for me, best SM character, besides with Sophocles. I feel she's like mother/older sister/aunt for the others. I like her enthusiasm.
Lillie- mysterious character is a good character. I wish she was more self-confident.
Lana- I don't know what to think about her. I'll see.
I think Mallow and Lillie deserve to get episodes focused on them (like Sophocles).
Maybe next episode we'll see something important about SM girls...I hope so.

Last edited:
SM girls? Depends. I like Mallow (especially) and Lillie. When it comes to my fav-
1. Misty
2. May/Dawn
4. Mallow
5. Lillie
6. Serena/Iris (funny thing- they were my favourite characters in their series )
8. Lana
9. Bonnie
Of course it's about characters- when it comes to plot, I think Dawn's,May's and Serena's were the best.
. Mallow- for me, best SM character, besides with Sophocles. I feel she's like mother/older sister/aunt for the others. I like her enthusiasm.
Lillie- mysterious character is a good character. I wish she was more self-confident.
Lana- I don't know what to think about her. I'll see.
I think Mallow and Lillie deserve to get episodes focused on them (like Sophocles).
Maybe next episode we'll see something important about SM girls...I hope so.
Intresting.... Tbh I love Misty more then I did in the past... But idk why..

And I think the SM-girls cant devollop in a good way cause they are with too many

And I think the SM-girls cant devollop in a good way cause they are with too many
About Misty- me too. Maybe I appreciate her more now, after several weak seasons.
About SM- depends for me. Maybe they should give Mallow, Lillie, Kiawe and Lana few episodes focused on them just like that one about Sophocles.

About Misty- me too. Maybe I appreciate her more now, after several weak seasons.
About SM- depends for me. Maybe they should give Mallow, Lillie, Kiawe and Lana few episodes focused on them just like that one about Sophocles.
Wouldnt that be useless? Like they stay on MeleMele Island (what begins to annoy me) and they cant do much focus on them

From best to worst:

Hikari
Haruka
Eureka
Serena
Kasumi
Iris

SM girls:

Lilie
Suiren
Mao

Out of all of the current female companions, I think it is safe to say that Dawn's story line was written the best.

Like Ash, Dawn had a goal at the start of her journey. There was no hesitation, clueless-ness, or career change-she was going to be a Top Coordinator and that was that. Thankfully, her goal was one that could be accomplished within the region she was in and was well-represented (here's looking at you, Showcases). Unlike Misty, Iris or Bonnie, Dawn's goal was explicit and we could clearly see all progression from it. There were milestones, in the form of ribbons, and a mark of mastery that was the Grand Festival. Due to this, the writers had a lot to work with in that regard. There were many episodes dedicated to Dawn's Contests, training for Contests, Dawn's rivals in Contests and obtaining new Pokemon for said Contests. Dawn was also a contributor to the mythos of the saga, being directly tied to Mesprit and thus Dialga/Palkia/Cyrus/Galatic by extension. And she had several iterations of her theme heard throughout the series, compared to other female companions, being an indicator of her importance to the show. The girl was central in many episodes.

It also helped that Dawn was a pretty active battle participant. After she got the hang of it down, she became just as quick as Ash to challenge Team Rocket to daily battles as well as any general opposition that came her way. She also participated in practice battles with her Pokemon, friends, and non official tournaments. Heck, she even competed in an official Gym Battle! The only Poke Girl to do so thus far. As battling is a pretty key element to the Pokemon universe, it helped her development immensely-given that we were able to see her go from losing to Nando in her first Pokemon match to being runner up in her first Grand Festival. She didn't take a back seat and let Ash do all the talking unlike previous and succeeding female companions.

This was also reflected in her Pokemon-by the end of Sinnoh, she actually had a full roster of 6 Pokemon (a feat usually only accomplished by Ash). All of her Pokemon had moments to shine in the saga with various battles and Contest appeals. Also, the fact that Dawn ultimately had six led to her having a more varied set of interactions with said Pokemon (rather than the usual 3-4 that most of Ash's female companions seem to get). Between her Pokemon and battling presence, she too was the main protagonist of the DP Saga. Unlike the other Poke Girls, her story shared the spotlight with Ash, front and center. Furthermore, her bond with Ash was pretty powerful. Out of all his current female companions, she has both battled with him and against him the most (I'm including all training sessions). Understandably, they've had arguments but they've also pushed each other in their respective goals and have been the most supportive with each other than all other companions (ex. compare how Ash missed several of May's Contest for his own personal reasons to how he attended all of Dawns). They even traded Pokemon together, the feat that Satoshi Tajiri created with the intention of strengthening bonds between people (fitting, huh?).

Another aspect that was pretty well done was the fact that Dawn's character was actually shown to lose throughout her campaign. Unlike May, who only had two losses in her Hoenn Contest campaign, and Ash, who rarely loses a Gym Battle, Dawn had several losses under belt. These losses were great because they made her a more relatable character-rarely will someone have everything handed to them in life, an aspect that Dawn's losses conveyed. Even after she got through her initial slump of losses after Floaroma Town, she still suffered a few Contest losses along the way! The writers utilized these losses to show how the girl had matured, going from being despondent early DP after a loss to being a good sport about it in later DP, eager to learn from her mistakes. I also felt that her depression arc was nicely done because it went on for a while. Consecutive losses in any type of competition are bound to leave some hurt feelings for a period of time-thus I thought it was realistic that Dawn took a while to get over that. It was also nice because it made her interactions with Maylene, May, her mother, and Ash & Brock all the more poignant during that time. It was great development to watch.

Additionally, it helped that Dawn had more focus since she was in a party of three. Unlike May and Serena, Dawn didn't have to worry about a younger sibling stealing away episodes for obligatory screen time. This in turn gave her more screen time and allowed for more episodes dedicated to her. Maybe that's why she was allowed a party of six, training episodes and a larger assortment of rivals than May. Oh, the rivals! Rivals are a great way to develop characters as it gives them an obstacle to overcome and show progression. While they may not have been as interesting as May's, Dawn's four rivals (Zoey, Kenny, Ursula, (Jessilina ?,) and Nando) still challenged her throughout the series and served as reliable vehicles to boost her development. Misty, Iris, Bonnie and Serena lacked this, while May didn't have too much of it.

Lastly, this all culminated with her progress by the end of the saga. An accomplished Coordinator, she got runner up in the Grand Festival-a feat May didn't reach in either of her seen Contest campaigns. She placed even higher than Ash did, with his respective goal (a position he wouldn't reach until the Kalos Pokemon League). She also got a cool side story episode in addition to an featured arc in the BW saga-elements that both contribute to her storyline and overall presence. You can clearly see her growth from start to finish, as well as her Pokemon's. While Dawn is no longer my favorite female companion (Serena currently holds that spot, but that may change given Sun & Moon), you can't argue with her representation and growth in the series.

Serena had no goal for over 40 episodes, and the one she get did get incredibly rushed.

Overall, Dawn was handled the best I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal preference of the female companions:

1) Misty
2) May
3) Iris
4) Dawn
5) Bonnie
6) Serena

The SM girls are harder to judge since it's less than 30 episodes in, so I'm not ready to strictly compare them to any of the other girls yet or include them in an overall ranking. I also actually really like all 3 of them pretty equally right now (Mallow and Lana a bit more than Lillie) so solely in terms of character development, I would order the SM girls as:

1) Lillie
2) Mallow
3) Lana

I never actually answered the question.

My answer: Dawn.
Reasons: She was inspirational, realistic, and just fun to watch.

I feel anyone, of any age, could learn from Dawn's development.

-Dawn loved her Pokemon, was always eager to battle, was happy for others, always was willing to adjust her style as a trainer for the sake of her pokemon (she was willing to work with Buizel's battle style, Ambipom's evolution, as well as Mamoswine's, and Togekiss's battle style).
-Dawn was such a good friend to Ash and while we did not see it often, appreciated Brock, as Brock did her.

The realism in her story was fantastic. I remember seeing Dawn lose in the appeal round twice was such a huge shocker when it first aired. It was brilliant to see Dawn hide her true feelings after her second lost, doing the best she could to have a brave face. It was great to see her ponder about her career choice, and even battle Maylene to help them both out. The Wallace Cup truly was a brilliant piece of work, introducing May, having them bond. Dawn regaining her confidence, and having such humility and being in shock that she won (and she barely beat May with her newest Pokemon which was great).

I am not too sure if this was in the original, but in the dub when Dawn was about to face Lila, she was nervous, and then snapped herself out of it and said something along the lines of "If I lose I can just train some more, relax"-that was genius. I loved that shortly before this episode, she had the episode where her and Buneary won the Hearthrome Collection Contest. I thought that was great because it helped her journey, Buneary was a great pokemon and her first pokemon, and she still showed concern of doing decent after her Wallace Cup win, after rising above it.

Dawn also was so selfless. She didn't want to say goodbye to Ambipom, but she did not stand in the way of her dreams. She did not scold Mamoswine after losing its first contest. She traded Buizel to Ash because she knew it was best for it. (I loved Buizel's smirk after Dawn won the Wallace Cup by the way, everyone was smiling, yet Buizel did belong to Dawn initially, so it was nice to see it be happy for its former trainer-just like Ambipom took Ash's hat and juggled it with Dawn's right before leaving).

I have issues with Dawn's Grand Festival (some aspects were amazing), yet the fact that Dawn beat Ursula 3 times (not that I wanted her to lose-but Dawn's biggest feats were beating Ursula (for a 3rd time) and Jessie (who the writers should have given a decent battle at the very least). Dawn and Jessie were two main characters, come on now.

I initially felt some kind of way with Dawn getting 2nd, yet it made sense. Zoey always helped Dawn. Zoey knew the game always a little more than Dawn did. While I would love to watch Dawn win her trophy in Hoenn and potentially beat Zoey one day, back in Sinnoh, Zoey did deserve it more. I think the writers showed that when she battled Nando. Yet, I wish Dawn had an epic battle like that. Johanna also was a complex, yet loving Mom. I enjoyed their bond.

Ursula should have been introduced earlier, Kenny should have been more of a threat, and Zoey should have used more of her team pre-GF than Glameow. Nando and Dawn also should have interacted more. Overall though, I like that May and Dawn were totally different, even in rivals.

Seeing Dawn overcome her childhood fear, thanks to the help of Mamoswine and Cyndaquil and believing in herself, and seeing her get that 5th ribbon after her long, hard, struggle, was just...heatwarming to say the least. That solidified Dawn as number 1 for me.

Dawn was just badass, and I hope we see her again. BW did not do her justice.

i immediate thought would be dawn her character was handled very well but arguably misty had the best development she grow a lot since she first appeared to her last appearance becoming less prone to anger and forming close bond with ash and Brock

I am not sure, but i like May development.

In the start May was only interested in traveling and in pretty things (including pokemon). In truth, I believe that she didn't consider herself a reliable person. At end, although, she was not reluctant in developing herself and her pokemon. In fact, she evolved her cute torchic in a fucking Blaziken and her hearty bulbasaur in a gross ("charming") venusaur. As she grew up, she raised her confidence and ceased to be affectionate to things by their appearance. Instead, she began to value experiences, friendship and the inner nature of the things.

Besides, I like the fact that she develops all her pokémon from "scratch". Unlike Dawn's togekiss and Iris's Dragonite.

Speaking chronologically, i think that Dawn started at the point that May halt. Personally, i think that Diamond and Pearl is a continuation/development from Advanced Generation.

Last edited:
Lana may be my favorite Pokegirl in the series thus far, but the title of "best written," IMO, would probably go to Dawn.

Dawn for life. Her character development made her my role model and her worry free nature impressed me the most. She feels like a separate main protoganist for the show instead of being a side characters like other pokegirls. She also breaks the rule that all the pokegirls should have a crush or love on her rivals(may) or other person(Serena, Misty).
So DAWN is the best written character and best pokegirl of all time. Dawn for life ❤️

I’d say it’s up between May and Dawn. In the case of May, we had someone who didn’t necessarily like Pokémon as a trainer would and thus only really had wanted to travel however, that all changed when she first witnessed a Pokémon Contest and fell in love with it. We saw her go from ground zero with no basis of what it was to be a coordinator to a skilled coordinator in her own right. It also gave us the view of expressing Ash’s own maturing as he also acted as something of a mentor towards a rookie trainer. It made it all the more special when we saw her return in the Wallace Cup, having had time to grown into her own while away from Ash.

With Dawn, we had a case where she had come from the legacy of a Top Coordinator with her mother and knew that’s what she wanted as a trainer. In that, we saw her witnessing first hand the struggles that come with this dream to the point of sometimes not even making it past the appeals round. In this time around, Ash wasn’t so much a mentor as an equal and even drew inspiration from Dawn. It’s compelling but in a different way than May’s story and showed 2 traveling companions with the same goal but told in 2 different ways.

I actually didn’t like Serena at first because I thought she was nothing more than shipping fodder. But she was developed so well that she’s now my favorite of the female companions. I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Kasumi though.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom