• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who else hates Pikachu replacing Volt Tackle?

Peppermint Phoenix

The one once known as Alphaphlare
Reaction score
Pikachu replaced volt tackle with Elec ball. But why in the games elec ball is not that good in the games and Pikachu's signature move is volt tackle. Just feels like crud

His signature move is Thunderbolt.

While I liked Volt tackle, his moves were becoming a bit boring, even with the new animation. I think Electro Ball is a nice change of pace.

Volt Tackle wasn't too impressive. It was Thunder Armor without swellow. What Musashi said is completely correct. They didn't want to give him new moves and thus were just stuck in the status quo throughout DP. To me though Electro Ball isn't that interesting either, as it's a yellow Energy Ball, but at least it's new. Pikachu really could get along fine with just 3 moves, Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, and Quick Attack until as a species it becomes able to learn something entirely new and compelling. Them throwing in a second electric attack in my book is just filler, so them changing it out every so often is good. The fourth slot moves they're using are enough visual variation so it's worth it.

Also Pikachu using Volt Tackle against Latios that one time was just weird running in air against a beam. Was not a fan of that.

I kind of liked Volt Tackle, even though in the end it was just an electric Quick Attack. Electro Ball is kind of cool, but I hate the way Pikachu says "ChuPIIIII" when he does it....

I wouldn't say I hate that it was replaced but it is a big disappointment. It replaced a powerful Physical Electric move with another Special Electric move. Electro Ball with Thunderbolt is just redundant and reminds me of Ash's Bulbasaur who was last seen with 4 GRASS MOVES. It also reminds me of the newbie players who only teach a pokemon movws that it gets STAB on. Like the 4 Fire Type Move Charizard that I'm sure everyone has encountered atleast once.

While I do think it's odd the writers replaced Pikachu's newest learned move (albeit already old by the time it was replaced, however), I think it was a good decision on the writers' part. Volt Tackle wasn't very effective in BW and actually caused Pikachu more damage than anything else. Electro Ball isn't my favorite move, but at least it's something new. Someone mentioned the writers could have a Quick Attack + Electro Ball combo up their sleeves sometime in the future, which would be splendid.

I liked volt tackle but I guess it was time for a change. A move they should never get rid of is Iron tail though unless Pikachu gets a better non electric move, which I doubt.

If you think about it, Volt Tackle probably was his most expendable move. Thunderbolt and Iron Tail certainly weren't going anywhere (the former being Pik's most famous move and the latter being too important for type coverage). The only other move I could see them sacrificing is Quick Attack, but then giving him three electric attacks would really have lowered the diversity of his moveset. This way, we get two moves for dealing with opponents not susceptible to electric attacks, one standard electric move, and one for the cool eye candy (which is what Electro Ball essentially is).

I'd prefer Pika to keep Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle and Iron Tail, then "forget" Quick Attack and learn a new BW move which is NOT an electric type move

As has been said its better that he forgot Volt Tackle then one of his other moves.

It's okay I guess. I didn't find Volt Tackle to be all that boring, but Electro Ball's okay. It's possible Pikachu might use Volt Tackle again at a critical moment in a battle or something.

I liked volt tackle but I guess it was time for a change. A move they should never get rid of is Iron tail though unless Pikachu gets a better non electric move, which I doubt.

Well considering that Fighting covers what steel can do against and more, I'm hoping for a nice fighting type move that Pikachu can learn, maybe hopefully a fighting type move involving the tail.

Anyway, I am disappointed that Pikachu got rid of its strongest attack that it could ever use for something redundant, but I guess Pikachu did get too boring so they wanted to change it up. But considering that Pikachu learned iron tail in 3rd gen (when the move was introduced in the 2nd gen), did it have to be a 5th gen move?

Also I can see why they didn't replace thunderbolt, it's still has different properties than electro ball, so even if it would make sense, Pikachu still needed thunderbolt for various situations that electro ball can't accomplish.

But even so TWO special/ranged electric attacks, but NO physical one. I know anime =/= games but Pikachu does have a higher attack stat.

I don't have a problem with it.
The anime is different from the games, so it doesn't matter if he has Thunderbolt already.

I would have preferred Pikachu to forget Iron Tail and pick a move that has even better type coverage... Oh well. :|

I think this is the worst move ever that the writers did in Best wishes. Volt Tackle was a great physical finishing move that Paul in DP was very impressed with. Did you see it against latios? Now we only have two special electric attacks and two physical non-electric attacks. Of course I would always want Pikachu to keep Thunderbolt, but they could have given him a new non-electric attack in place of quick attack.

Pikachu's signature move is Thunderbolt. It was the case back in Johto, AG, especially in DP, and it is still important in BW. I can not see that move being replaced, ever.

Electro Ball may be a projectile Special Electric-type attack like Thunderbolt, and it may be true that Electro Ball appears to not have those "limitations" ("the higher Pikachu's speed is, the stronger the attack" in the games). Electro Ball is a nice change of pace in what could have been another physical set-up for Pikachu. Electro Ball gives Pikachu a gimmicky attack that actually looks very nice.

Iron Tail is also too important to let go. It allows Pikachu to combat pokemon types (such as Ground) that may resist or be completely immune to Pikachu's other attacks. It is such a staple on Pikachu's moveset, and Pikachu still uses it somewhat often (though it is not used as much as Electro Ball or Thunderbolt).

Quick Attack was my first choice in a move replacement. What is the difference between a high-speed movement attack, and a similar rushing attack charged with electricity? Remember that in the anime, Pikachu "learned" Volt Tackle on accident after Ash commanded it to use Thunderbolt while he used Quick Attack. Volt Tackle was one of Pikachu's best moves in the Battle Frontier, and it helped to defeat some of his opponents in that arc (Lucy's Milotic, Anabel's Espeon, Brandon's Regice). I felt that Volt Tackle should have stayed, and Quick Attack (which I may add, is a move that another one of Ash's pokemon on him right now and several of the pokemon he had in the past shared) should have been replaced.

Even though the Volt Tackle move is the Pikachu line's signature move in the games, in the anime sense, it is too risky to use. I guess the writers are tired of the elemental charging in attacks (Aqua Jet, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz) being used. In addition to the recoil damage Volt Tackle usually dishes out, series, in the past (and in this series especially), the straightforward motion associated with the attack leaves Pikachu too exposed for a counterattack. Pikachu has rarely, if ever, been able to move in any other direction than straightforward when he used the move in the past. Meanwhile, Pikachu has a lot of versatiliy with Quick Attack in terms of movement. I felt that the reason as to why it was removed was to "equalize" Pikachu's power with the rest of the pokemon Ash and co. have on them right now. The writers must have felt that Volt Tackle was a move too powerful for a pokemon Ash should have in his possession right now.

I actually created such a set for one of my Charmander babies a long time ago. It was fun though, mostly because many people simple do not expect it.

A lot of the beef with this is that Pikachu's family are the ONLY pokemon that can learn Volt Tackle. However, I will agree that Volt Tackle's usefulness had reached it's end. It was being dodged constantly in BW, and it had been a long time since Pika learned a new move. At the time, I was confused because I didn't expect Volt Tackle to get it. I'm okay with it now. As for what else they could've done, I also expected Quick Attack to get it since it's Pika's least powerful move, although Pika's speed is part of his gimmick. This is part of why Electro Ball makes sense to me since it also plays off speed, although the anime probably won't mention that. For those wondering about it, Pika does have a lot of possibilities for non-electric moves, but nothing we can do about that now.

Perhaps the critics will get their way and Quick attack will get replaced by "Wild Charge" w.i. simply a weaker B/W version of Volt Tackle

A lot of the beef with this is that Pikachu's family are the ONLY pokemon that can learn Volt Tackle. However, I will agree that Volt Tackle's usefulness had reached it's end. It was being dodged constantly in BW, and it had been a long time since Pika learned a new move. At the time, I was confused because I didn't expect Volt Tackle to get it. I'm okay with it now. As for what else they could've done, I also expected Quick Attack to get it since it's Pika's least powerful move, although Pika's speed is part of his gimmick. This is part of why Electro Ball makes sense to me since it also plays off speed, although the anime probably won't mention that. For those wondering about it, Pika does have a lot of possibilities for non-electric moves, but nothing we can do about that now.

As stated by another member on here before, if Pikachu didn't have Quick Attack. Scraggy's egg would have had a very bad "accident" 0_0.

I liked Volt Tackle a lot. But, if it were a choice of move to replace Volt Tackle, I think they should have gone with a physical move. The Pikachu line can't learn that many great great moves, but I think they should have gone with something else. "Return" maybe? It could be Pikachu body glowing and then doing combat with the target or giving Pikachu a power boost. But, Electro Ball is ok, I've never been a fan of the writers basically doing color switches with moves. It's basically the same as Zap Cannon only yellow. But, I still like it.
150px-Espeon_Zap_Cannon.png
150px-Pikachu_Electro_Ball.png

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom