• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who else hates Pikachu replacing Volt Tackle?

I like the change, But I would have liked to see Iron Tail gone instead, I just hate its new animation because it takes like 30 seconds before the Iron tale actually hits.

One question:can we be completely sure that Pikachu replaced its volt tackle?

Maybe he just learned new technique adding it to his collection with other attacks falling in second plan for time being.
Many times in past anime showed to follow different rules from game usual "4 moves rule"with several pokemon showing to have several attacks .I remember pokemon using up to 7 or 8 different moves in just one battle.

If its true than my impression is that im little disappointed but content at same time having mixed feelings about it.On one hand i liked Pikachu volt tackle being one of his most effective and strongest moves.When you manage to tie with legendary pokemon like latios you know you have very strong move set.

However i also like electro ball too showing to be very useful technique giving to Pikachu some muscle when executing attacks and fresh change.

When you think about it if writers want to stick to four moves for pokemon rule than they didnt had much options really.Thunderbolt is Pikachu signature and long time used move being out f question to get replaced,Iron tale is of vital importance when battling other types like ground giving him diversity and chance to win when in inferior position(going by type advantage).

I suppose they could ditch quick attack but that has been integrated as part of this pokemon being known for its speed with writers probably wanting to keep Pikachu speed aspect intact.Volt tackle granted is speedy move too but it has its disadvantages like recoil damage,inability to move right after executing attack.
So unfortunately because of tradition of some other techniques and its importance volt tackle supposedly was chosen to be replaced.

Of course that doesnt exclude possibility that sometime later in series this technique gets revived with Pikachu using it again.

Last edited:
I'd have preferred it if Pikachu forgot Quick Attack in place of Double Team/Grass Knot or something (mainly the former). Or replacing Volt Tackle with Thunderpunch... Pikachu punching would've looked awesome. Electro Ball looks awesome on its own, don't get me wrong, but having him learning another coverage non-STAB move would have been more interesting.

I have to admit that Volt tackle is more better than what it has now.

I kind of am a bit skeptical about losing Volt Tackle but at the same time, I don't know what better move to discard for Electro Ball.

Thunderbolt - signature move
Quick Attack - a speed attack Pikachu is famous for using (and the only one he's got left)
Iron Tail - a Steel-type move; quite handy for Rock/Ground combo types

On top of that, unless Thunderbolt was replaced, Pikachu would possess three Electric-type moves otherwise. Not much variety in that.

So, yeah. Better Volt Tackle than one of those other moves, IMO. My main complaint about losing Volt Tackle is the fact that it was the most recent move for Pika prior to Electro Ball anyway. And a new move is a good thing since Pikachu's moveset has been the same since Battle Frontier.

Sure a new non-Electric-type would have been preferable, but that's just not what for us to decide.

Yea, I'm pissed too. But hey, I don't know what crack the writers are taking, but I wanna try it for 2 seconds :p

My only beef with the anime version of Elecball is that it doesn't take it's cool in-game effect into account (becoming more powerful depending on speed differences) which he could exploit with Swadloon's String Shot (or possibly even Glare if Snivy learns it).

It's not like Pikachu has a veritable buffet of options anyway, at least it ain't Protect.

I really don't care, it was time for a change and the move more recently was costing Pikachu more matches than it was helping, because when all your opponent has to do is sidestep to dodge it and you crash into a wall or get nailed from the side and end up losing it's not a good sign.

The match against Cress' Panpour is when it really hit home because that is what costed Pikachu the match in the end.

I would prefer a Pikachu with five moves. So I kinda "hate" his replacing it.

I don't understand why Pikachu needs another Electric move, especially a Special one anyway. It was doing fine with what it had. Now it has 2 moves which when put together is just plain redundant.

I don't understand why Pikachu needs another Electric move, especially a Special one anyway. It was doing fine with what it had. Now it has 2 moves which when put together is just plain redundant.

I agree, in the end Volt Tackle would do more damage. Don't know why Volt tackle would be replaced I hope it doesn't have anything to do with how there are no light balls in Unova and Unova born Pikachu can't get this move.

I wouldn't go as far to say I hate it, but I'm kind of upset about it :< I always liked Volt Tackle, and I thought of it as Pikachu's sig move -.- but then they replace it with a move that, in the games, can be easily taught. Same applies with Iron Tail, but that's different because it wasn't it's type T_T and it's no longer a TM. Now I HATE that...it was my favorite move.

I dont really mind it. As long as they never get rid of Thunderbolt. XD

But, I do think Iron Tail should go. Maybe replaced with Volt Switch?

o.o Iron Tail?! NEVER T_T It'd be in trouble against Rock/Ground types...(unless it'd want to learn Grass Knot....=/)

Grass Knot's probably the only move they'd be able to replace Iron Tail with, but it's extremely unlikely. If they were going to they would have done it a generation ago. They won't because it would be weird to animate an electric type using it, and it would have to be limited to grassy fields. Iron Tail doesn't have limitations like that.

IMO Volt Tackle is the perfect candidate to be replaced with another move, since Ash/Pikachu can improvise this any time.. Quick Attack while using Thunderbolt, like how they first discovered VT.

But yeah, out of all of moves, why Electro Ball? Present/Grass Knot/Facade/even Flail will do xD (again, IMO)

I think Electro Ball should have replaced another move. Volt Tackle looked so cool!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom