• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who else hates Pikachu replacing Volt Tackle?

I don't really like Pikachu replacing Volt Tackle with Electro Ball. Isn't Volt Tackle pretty hard to get in Pikachus?

Also, when was the last time Pikachu used Volt Tackle?

I don't really like Pikachu replacing Volt Tackle with Electro Ball. Isn't Volt Tackle pretty hard to get in Pikachus?

Also, when was the last time Pikachu used Volt Tackle?

On the top of my head, BW10. Pikachu defeated Trip's Tranquill using Volt Tackle. That's all I remember. Maybe he used it after too.

Quick question: Who says Pikachu actually forgot Bolt Tackle? When did the anime ever say that like the games, a pokemon could only know 4 moves?

Quick question: Who says Pikachu actually forgot Bolt Tackle? When did the anime ever say that like the games, a pokemon could only know 4 moves?

As of recent they tend to stick to 4. Especially with main characters' pokemon.

I was personally getting sick of Volt Tackle. I'm glad it was replaced.

I'm glad they got rid of Volt Tackle, and to be honest special moves suit Pikachu much better. Not only is Volt Tackle risky but is also easily avoidable which makes it unusable sometimes.

Personally I'm glad we got Electro Ball.

Volt Tackle was replaced with Electro Ball?

While I do think it's odd the writers replaced Pikachu's newest learned move (albeit already old by the time it was replaced, however), I think it was a good decision on the writers' part. Volt Tackle wasn't very effective in BW and actually caused Pikachu more damage than anything else. Electro Ball isn't my favorite move, but at least it's something new. Someone mentioned the writers could have a Quick Attack + Electro Ball combo up their sleeves sometime in the future, which would be splendid.

I agree that Electro Ball is something new but, why replace one of Pikachu's strongest move?

Because it was getting old, but, on top of that, anime tends to make special moves stronger than they are. I'm not saying physical moves are garbage or something like that, but usually, physical moves tend to leave the user wide open in the anime and Volt Tackle was the perfect example. That being said, it had to be used as a finishing move for Pika to actually win battles, and it was also getting boring to see any physical move clash with Volt Tackle and tie with it despite Volt Tackle being stronger.

IMO, Electro Ball is better and a QA + EB combo would be awesome if it ever appears.

D:

Now Volt Tackle has COMPLETELY lost it's demeaner. The anime MADE Volt Tackle- Not many people even know what Volt Tackle LOOKS like in the games, let alone how to get it. So you could only get to see it via anime. And Now, theyve got a move practically EVERY electric type learns!

Personally, I think that Pikachu may not have forgotten it. If you think in terms of anime physics (Ash being able to carry a Hippopotas, and still being 10) there's numerous ways it could still know it. It simply being a quick attack thunderbolt combo, etc.

Volt Tackle was alright, but it would have been better if a different move was replaced for Electro Ball.

Wait, really? They could've give it a different move for better coverage instead of another electric move.

His signature move is Thunderbolt.

While I liked Volt tackle, his moves were becoming a bit boring, even with the new animation. I think Electro Ball is a nice change of pace.

I agree with Musashi.

Last edited:
Say WHAT?! They took away the one thing that made Pikachu cool sometimes... Well that sucks. I don`t know what to say...

Although I liked the animation of Volt Tackle, I'm glad they got rid of it. Replacing it with Electro Ball makes for a nice change of pace, seeing as how Pikachu had the move since early Battle Frontier.

The problem with Pikachu replacing Volt Tackle is that it leaves the rat without a spectacular finishing move. None of it's other moves quite compare to ramming into the opponent while covered in yellow electricity. Especially since Thunderbolt and Iron Tail's new animations suck.
The other way to generate such an effect, performing a combination, would become redundant.
IMO, they just should have let Pikachu have five moves.

Yeah, writers, great move there, replace a physical alternative to Thunderbolt with another special move which is redundant. Kinda like how Ash's bulbasaur knows ONLY grass type move, those being Razor Leaf, Vinewhip, Leech Seed and Solar Beam. Why not go ahead and give Charizard 4 fire moves since thats what all the kiddies used to do back when RGB first came out. While your at, give Oshawott onlt water moves and Tranquil only Flying moves. Make the movesets of Ash's Pokemon even worse.

What were they THINKING??

Electro Ball's only good on the rare occasions it's used defensively. As a projectile it's basically Thunderbolt that misses more often. Should have just kept Volt Tackle.

I can't help but wonder if the reason they switched to Electro Ball is because it's a recolored Shadow Ball animation-wise. The animators seem to LOVE Shadow Ball, probably because it's cheap/easy to animate.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom