• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do some people think oras is the worst remake?

Was oras really that bad?

• Oras sucks

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Oras was OK/good

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Disclaimer not gonna sit here and bull**** you saying oras was the perfect Pokemon game, it wasn't it held your hand for a large majority of the game with trainers teleporting you where you needed to go. Lacked a battle frontier or most features introduced in emerald, and comes up short with its post game after the Delta episode which can be simplified to fetch quests with battles in-between.

However these are only a small drop of disappointment in the overall good quality of the games. Ignoring new graphics which is a given in any remake we have
Soaring
Delta episode
New megas
Redesigns for aqua and magma to make them less generic
All legendary Pokemon can be caught between both games
Surf speed with sharpedo makes going to mosdeep take seconds slap on a repel (or don't the encounter rate went down so maybe 1 tentecool in oras vs 15 in rse) and dodge trainers you avoid a good majority of "too much water"
Dex nav
Removed the cracks to get to Rayquaza (can be positive or negative depending if you liked the challenge)
Cross generation evolutions included in Pokedex

And overall great gameplay, now hgss is really good and includes just as much new stuff if not more but Gold and sliver was lacking some stuff rse didn't

Rse had
Safari zone
Most routes in any Pokemon game to date (or up until 2013 don't know about sm and XY)
135 Pokemon
A side game quest (contests)
No post game (except emerald even then hard to win any frontier places)

GS had
No safari zone ( added hgss)
Lest number of routes due to sharing with kanto
100 new Pokemon
No side quest
Best possible post game to date

Hgss added things oras couldn't because rse had them in the first place
Hgss-new routes
Oras- no new routes but mirage islands were nice+ already has way to many damn routes (could have merged alot of the water routes too)
Hgss-new safari zone
Oras- had one in the original but re-designed it anyway for the new two bike system
Hgss-new pokeathlon
Oras-already had contests (altough poke atholon is more fun) but improved them to include megas
Hgss- pokewalker
Oras- Dex nav
Hgss- kanto post game with a less cropped kanto
Oras- not as good as a second region but you go to ****ing space on Rayquaza's back and head butt a mother****ing astriod and catch a Pokemon not previously catchable in game then go on to catch every legendary up until that point
Hgss/oras- cross gen
Evos but difference is hgss kept the ones that could be avoided out (togitic- shiny stone) while oras included all of its cross gen evos despite all of them being avoidable as most needed a stone or a trade item
Hgss- no new forms
Oras- 30 new megas 2 primals and a genie thing...Uh...

As far as new content goes oras added alot of new stuff and despite not being a second region if you're going to sit there and type that oras was horrible I'm going to ask you what other Pokemon game has had us ride into space and blow up a damn astriod on the back of an ancient Pokemon, this is like if frlg actually did put mew under the truck.

Then if you're going to ask "well oras didn't include anything new story wise" oras is now the reason the multi verse theory is pretty much canon at this point, plus oras took a boring Devon Corp and an abdoned ship then turned them into sea Mauville and put its own little sub plot in there that even increases lore on a professor no one cares about from fallubor and makes you question WTF Devon has been doing behind closed doors.

Zinna also adds something to the main plot- why that team got to their legendary first. In Ruby and Sapphire it came down to dumb luck (plot) that aqua/magma finds their legendary first in oras it's explained zinna a dragonid with knowledge of kyogre and Groudon leads the team she joined to finding that legendary faster.

More lore added- stoopolis and how it was made

More lore added- A mega with no need for a mega stone

So while maybe not the perfect games oras included plenty of new content almost as much as hgss did, in fact more if you count the fact that rse had the stuff hgss added to GS in the first place. So why then is this considered the worse remake? By some considered worse then fire red leaf green despite being literally copy and paste of red and blue with a sevii island post game tacked on. Let me hear your opinions in this thread dedicated to this topic, I've talked about it with you guys in other threads but is usually derailing the topic of those threads.

I honestly think that you have fallen for the internet meme, Fairy Type Arceus.

Because ORAS isn´t really considered the worst remake. It is considered the BEST remake to date by a big amount of the fans, and the second best remake by an other big part of the fans.

Last edited:
I don't think they're worse than FRLG, but the difference between the two is that FRLG were Game Freak's first approach to remakes and they just focused on making the older Pokemon obtainable again. They were surprised by how well the games were received.

I honestly think that you have fallen for the meme. Because ORAS isn´t really considered the worst remake. It is considered the BEST remake to date by a big amount of the fans, and the second best remake by an other big part of the fans.

Most of the people calling it the worst remake are internet trolls on /vp/, and a small vocal minority that considered RSE Hoenn the worst game/region anyway.
Dunno even saw glitchxcity a girl that liked the originals say it sucked, despite there being plenty of good new content, maybe it's disappointing that emerlad features didn't make it in, but that's a small drop in a large bucket filled with good things.

Dunno even saw glitchxcity a girl that liked the originals say it sucked, despite there being plenty of good new content, maybe it's disappointing that emerlad features didn't make it in, but that's a small drop in a large bucket filled with good things.
That is what I would call a anecdotal evidence/vocal minority. Key word here being "vocal".

I don´t want to defend ORAS by sales, because I think the quality of the actual game defends itself. But I will say it anyway: ORAS is the best selling remake of all time. Nobody thought a Hoenn remake would outsell the two remakes of Pokemania games (Kanto and Johto+Kanto), and yet ORAS outsold both of them solidly. Despite being on a console that sold less than the GBA, and marginally less than the DS.

Honesty, I think the vocal minority disliking ORAS is simply very active online, and most of the fans that trully enjoy ORAS are too busy playing ORAS in order to be vocal about it online :p

Last edited:
I don't think they're worse than FRLG, but the difference between the two is that FRLG were Game Freak's first approach to remakes and they just focused on making the older Pokemon obtainable again. They were surprised by how well the games were received.
True and when the diamond and Pearl remakes come out they're bound to change even more then oras did, wouldn't surprise me as gamefreak slowly gets better at remakes.

And obviously quite a lot of people prefer the ORAS changes to the HGSS changes (or lack of needed changes).

And obviously other people like both the ORAS changes and the HGSS changes for different reasons. (that would be my case, personally: I liked how faithful a remake HGSS was, and I liked how fresh and innovative of a remake ORAS was).

Last edited:
Bound to change even more? Obviously quite a lot of people prefer the HGSS changes to the ORAS ones.
Yes but I'm referring to how they include more changes to each remake, Besides HgSs added alot of stuff, but as I've said in the thread oras added just as much new content if not more like hgss and oras added the same stuff (except with a safari zone and new routes which rse had already ) plus new forms and a new post game (altough GS already had that, even if it was one rocket grunt a victory lap around kanto with a climatic final battle with Red.)

I began with Emerald, which is still my most favorite game to date. Seeing almost none of Emerald's features in ORAS just made me dislike the games from the start.

My first exposure to Kanto was through Leaf Green and to Johto was through Heart Gold. That's why those sets of remakes are better to me.

Well I definitely prefer HGSS, mostly because following Pokémon and Pokéathlon, and I simply like the region and characters more. I think ORAS is better than FRLG, but since there's like 10 years between them, comparing them is not really fair.

What I'm mostly sad about is ORAS' redesigns, I disliked a lot of them, especially the PC's and Maxie and Archie. And the Dexnav is really the only feature I care about. Contests, soaring, new megas, the Delta Episode, being able to catch all Legendaries, etc. are all meh to me. Also, not including Emerald features like having to fight both evil teams, better Gym Leader teams, and the Battle Frontier is just a huge disappointment and might be the biggest reason why people dislike the games.

So they're not bad games I guess, it was fun to play them once. But I'm not interested in playing them again really, while I replay HGSS regularly.

I began with Emerald, which is still my most favorite game to date. Seeing almost none of Emerald's features in ORAS just made me dislike the games from the start.

My first exposure to Kanto was through Leaf Green and to Johto was through Heart Gold. That's why those sets of remakes are better to me.
Same I started with fire red though and then played emerald second. The main thing to be disappointed by was the lack of battle frontier but other emerald features still made it through mostly in the post game, and Wallace being champion is still even alluded to be a future event almost like saying emeralds events happen later on in oras timeline as the BF is being built and Wallace becomes champion as he is later invited to bw2s champion tournament. And finally Rayquaza still got his post game glory in fact his post game in oras is much better then what we had in emerald where he yells at kyogre and groundon and then they disappear.

Same I started with fire red though and then played emerald second. The main thing to be disappointed by was the lack of battle frontier but other emerald features still made it through mostly in the post game, and Wallace being champion is still even alluded to be a future event almost like saying emeralds events happen later on in oras timeline as the BF is being built and Wallace becomes champion as he is later invited to bw2s champion tournament. And finally Rayquaza still got his post game glory in fact his post game in oras is much better then what we had in emerald where he yells at kyogre and groundon and then they disappear.
That's why I said "almost". Rayquaza was way better in Emerald than in ORAS for me. I'll always remember that classic scene in Sootopolis. I don't remember any scene from ORAS.

That's why I said "almost". Rayquaza was way better in Emerald than in ORAS for me. I'll always remember that classic scene in Sootopolis. I don't remember any scene from ORAS.
Trust me I fanboy for Rayquaza's scene in emerald and I wanted that scene more then any one else to be in oras but you're telling me you don't remember going to space ( a playground rumor for gen 3 back in the day) breaking an asteroid and then catching deoxys? Truly that scene was just as epic, in fact I still love both scenes I even still play emerald time to time and K know if we had better graphics back then his scene with kyogre and groundon would have been as awesome as his oras scene but come on that oras scene was badass xD

Trust me I fanboy for Rayquaza's scene in emerald and I wanted that scene more then any one else to be in oras but you're telling me you don't remember going to space ( a playground rumor for gen 3 back in the day) breaking an asteroid and then catching deoxys? Truly that scene was just as epic, in fact I still love both scenes I even still play emerald time to time and K know if we had better graphics back then his scene with kyogre and groundon would have been as awesome as his oras scene but come on that oras scene was badass xD

I though a ten year old riding a dragon to space and then battling and catching an alien to save the world from being destroyed was just a bit... too over the top, so it only made me cringe really :p I know catching a legendary in itself is already OTT (and therefore never really enjoy that in the first place), but this especially was just too much imo. I prefer the scene in RSE too, two huge monsters being told to shut up and go back to sleep by their mom another huge monster. Somehow that's just a bit more 'realistic', for lack of a better word haha

In my opinion, the ORAS main game plot was better than Emerald´s main game plot, and the Rayquaza Delta plot was a lot better and more "epic" than the Rayquaza finale in Emerald. But of course, a plot is always subjective to the taste of each player.

What is not subjective, however, is the amount of content each game offers, and ORAS objectively has as much content as Emerald and HGSS, and that´s what counts the most imo.

For example, HGSS has a Battle Frontier (already smaller compared to Emerald´s Frontier btw), but ORAS has Triple and Rotation battle lines in the Battle Maison, the Battle Institute, or the Battle Court, all of which HGSS/Emerald lack.

Also, HGSS gave Johto the equivalent to Hoenn/Sinnoh Contests, but still didn´t give an equivalent to the Hoenn/Sinnoh Secret Bases/Underground Bases. Whereas ORAS not only had Secret Bases, but largely improved them over RSE/DPPt, turning them into customizable Gyms, with additional Join Avenue functionality on top of that...

And then there is also the Amie minigames and decoartions, and the Super Training minigames, whch HGSS/Emerald don´t have an equivalent for either.

So I think both ORAS vs HGSS balance each other out content wise. Same with ORAS vs Emerald. ORAS simply added various new Battle Facilities and battle styles (not present in HGSS/Emerald) where HGSS or Emerald have a Battle Frontier (not present in ORAS).

Last edited:
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are easily my favourite remakes thus far. It could be because Gen III is my favourite. Anyway, I've got more hours on Omega Ruby than I do on any other game...

Super Secret Bases are awesome. And those Blissey Bases... so utterly useful. Same with horde battle EV training!

I didn't enjoy Zinnia's character, but enjoyed the postgame storyline all the same.

And getting to go to Southern Island as part of the story - so very cool.

I certainly couldn't tell you, because I thought ORAS were great. But then again, I thought the originals were shit, so pretty much anything was going to be an improvement (nevertheless, ORAS are a huge improvement). Although I'm not exactly a spokesperson for your usual Pokémon fandom consensuses anyway...

For example, HGSS has a Battle Frontier (already smaller compared to Emerald´s Frontier btw), but ORAS has Triple and Rotation battle lines in the Battle Maison,
Most people prefer facility variety to different battle styles, especially when the Battle Maison isn't really programmed to make triple/rotation battles challenging.

the Battle Institute,
Barely distinguishable from the Battle Maison.

or the Battle Court,
Not nearly as interesting as gym rematches.

And then there is also the Amie minigames and decoartions, and the Super Training minigames, whch HGSS/Emerald don´t have an equivalent for either.
HGSS have the Pokewalker and walking Pokemon.

ORAS simply added various new Battle Facilities and battle tyles
You mean borrowed from XY. Sure, the same goes for HGSS' Battle Frontier.

Most people prefer facility variety to different battle styles, especially when the Battle Maison isn't really programmed to make triple/rotation battles challenging.
most people don´t care about any of the Battle Frontier Facilities in Emerald/HGSS other than the Battle Tower and the Battle Factory.
Barely distinguishable from the Battle Maison.
Except it is...
Not nearly as interesting as gym rematches.
That´s subjective to each player.
HGSS have the Pokewalker and walking Pokemon.
Pokewalker is not a part of HGSS. It is a separate device that has connectivity to HGSS... And walking Pokemon is not really a game or a minigame, but whatever. If we are going to play that game, then HGSS doesn´t have Soaring either.
You mean borrowed from XY.
You mean like the HGSS Battle Frontier is borrowed by Platinum?

Sure, the same goes for HGSS' Battle Frontier.
Except I think HGSS depends a lot more on the BF borrowed by Platinum, than ORAS depends on the features borrowed by XY.( But this is just my impression.)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom