• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Mythical Pokemon?

Marshadow. Gonna keep it short, from a lore standpoint it's just a random Pokémon that hides under shadows for so long, people in the overworld hardly know it exists, therefore it's mythical. This is a glorified Gengar.

It was left without a real role or story to it until Pokémon The Movie I Choose You, where the one time it was given something, it ultimately tarnished it to throw a temper tantrum for not getting what it wants. Iirc twas tasked to protect the holder of the Rainbow Wing, and ensure they reach Ho-Oh. Instead Marshadow just sat there and watched, chickening out of responsibility, only to go insane and try to kill everyone, including Ash himself, the moment Ash lost hold of the Rainbow Wing. This ending ultimately ruined the whole movie for me and is part of why I find this mythical awful.

Aside from that its presence in the games have made the competitive formats it debuted in much less desirable, as it flipped the metagame over its head by forcing players to run teams more dedicated to balance rather than offense. It caused the metagames to be a lot more overcentralized, forming it into a way that was less fun for many top players even, and punished any teams built without consideration of facing Marshadow to a degree so high it becomes less manageable than when the same is done for Mega Ray. I've been a strong part of the Anything Goes community since virtually the metagame's inception, and have only seen reception on Marshadow's presence being universally detrimental among all players who've played Anything Goes prior to release and after its release. Especially from top level players in the game. For me personally? This Pokémon gave me a mental breakdown on inception because it genuinely felt like the game was screwed over. Everyone felt that way before we realized the meta had to harshly flip over its head in order to cater to it, on levels unprecedented even by Mega Rayquaza.

This Pokémon had no reason to exist. It has no meaningful lore or role. The one time it was given it, it failed miserably. It made the pvp game worse. It ruined its own movie. I hate it.

Gamefreak didn't even keep proper track of this Pokémon when making the recent games because this is the one Pokémon they've mistakenly removed from Mythical in place of Shiinotic.

Zeraora doesn't have much going for it but I've never seen its presence be nearly as detrimental. Neutral at worst. To me the difference is, Zeraora is a mythical that just exists, and Marshadow is a mythical the series would've been better off without existing.

This has nothing to do with its design. Marshadow is fine in that front. However, any Pokémon can just look cool, cute, beautiful, etc. With 1025 Pokémon, many Pokémon heavily fit the bill for each, so Marshadow looking "cool" is nothing special. If a Pokémon looks cool but the impact it made is terrible, I'm not gonna like it.

Edit: Oops not very short.
I find Marshadow mid imo

in general i don't really like the mythicals of the later gens, zeraora onwards. i feel like they all kind of have the same design concept, and aren't really interesting or important? don't care much for hoopa either.

but i think my least favorite, looking at the mythical list, might be pecharunt.... the mochi dance was silly but ultimately very stupid and pointless, i feel, and its apparent backstory as the master of the loyal three doesn't add much of anything. also, thinking about it, kind of trampled over the narrative theme of ogerpon & her treatment by the loyal three? the more i think about this creature the more i dislike it

If we're counting phione, then phione

Otherwise Zarude because it is the most boring generic monkey mythical possible
Like if you told me it was a regular pokemon I would believe you

I know a lot of people have brought up Phione already, but sadly, it's very warranted. I don't exactly dislike it, per-se, but I do find it rather irritating that Game Freak saw fit to add a (much) weaker version of Manaphy in the same Generation that is already somewhat infamous for its Legendary/Mythical overbloat and without giving it anything to actually stand out like a signature move or even a secondary typing. I will say, however, that if Phione had instead been a regular Pokemon with a mysterious implied connection to Manaphy in the same vein that Carbink was to Diancie two Generations later it would've worked a lot better.

Honorable mentions go to Zeraora and Zarude. Once again, I don't dislike these two either, but they really feel like they should've just been regular Pokemon: they have no lore whatsoever, and none of their Pokedex entries have anything that remotely justifies them deserving Mythical status. And no, starring in their own movies doesn't count: Lucario and Zoroark had movie star status and they didn't get to be Mythicals/Legendaries, so why do these guys? Zeraora also really should've been our first Electric/Fighting-type, just sayan; if nothing else, it would've at least made it feel a little bit more special. Also, Zarude was seriously doomed by being made a Grass-type monkey-based Pokemon introduced in the same Generation where one of the Starters was also a Grass-type monkey: it's pretty hard to stand out when you share a concept with a freaking Starter, after all, especially when said Starter turns out to be actually strong... which Rillaboom most definitely is.

I usually don't answer to these kind of "worst things" threads but I have the feeling to say Zeraora looks quite ridiculous. Another one I don't like is Terrakion as its face feels flat in every way. I'd also add Azelf to the list as I don't like its overly opened eyes.
And to finish off, Kubfu and Urshifu. Ah, they look extremely ugly to say the least.

As for Keldeo who I see very hated... I think it looks cool but its movepool sucks so bad it isn't even funny.
Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but this thread is about Mythical Pokemon, and of the ones you mentioned only Zeraora is a Mythical. The rest are Legendaries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom