1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Writers Workshop General Chat Thread

Discussion in 'The Written Word' started by Gama, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Nitro Indigo

Nitro Indigo But surely there was a dream...

Blog Posts:
    That person had a point - I shouldn't be so fickle with ordering art - but they were being condescending about it.

Pet peeve: handicap abilities. What's the point of making powerful Pokémon in the first place?

2. Kazekage

Kazekage Head of Decommissioning

Blog Posts:
    Because why not add on to the 20 other handicap and difficult things in the games?

3. Beth Pavell

Beth Pavell Not as cute in person

Blog Posts:
    Personally I lean towards the idea that Johto would need to be distinctively Japanese to be called definitive, which my version decidedly isn't.

I wouldn't mind my version of Goldenrod City becoming fanon, mind

4. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    @Kazekage Such as?

And another thing... the other day, someone on that same website I was talking about randomly answered an opinion question in a thread that hadn't been posted in for three years, and got mad at me when I asked them about it. Yeah... the community on that site isn't for me.

5. Kazekage

Blog Posts:
    Just to name a few: the low Shiny rate (including unobtainable ones), SOS battles, the Battle Tree, etc. etc.
    (I mean, this is mostly in my opinion but still)

6. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    But shinies are supposed to be rare...

7. Kazekage

Blog Posts:
    It just irks me how rare they are. I don't like the idea of soft resetting thousands of times just to get a Shiny Legendary.

8. diamondpearl876

diamondpearl876 ripperoni

Blog Posts:
    I could see why. :p I read an article about a shiny huntee who literally spent a good two or three years simply soft resetting for a shiny Mewtwo in FRLG. That's... dedication.

Kazekage likes this.
  9. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    Unpopular opinion: shinies are overrated. At the end of the day, it's just a palette swap.

Also, Zelda Universe doesn't work on Wii U.

10. Kazekage

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, 100% agree. But some of those "palette swaps" look cool to me. :p

11. Six Paths

Six Paths Jinchūriki of the Ten-Tails

Blog Posts:
    I've always thought this way about Shinies. I'd just say, "Do you really need it?" I mean, not to be impolite or discourage any Shiny-hunters, of course. Feel free to do that sort of thing if it's your... thing. :p

12. diamondpearl876

Blog Posts:
    The easiest way to get shinies, for me, was through friend safaris in X/Y. And I got very lucky with the Masuda method when I gave it a chance, though that luck ran out after 3 shinies in a couple days. Otherwise, I just traded because that was quicker and shiny trading shops were huge for the longest time.

Literally the only shinies I've gotten without intending to in all my years of playing = a totodile in my first run of Silver, which I thought was a glitch so I started over, and a zubat in X/Y.

13. Kazekage

Blog Posts:
    I've only ever encountered two Shiny Pokémon - a Relicanth and an Elgyem, the former from chain fishing and the other from DexNav chaining.

Otherwise, I have a few from Wonder Trade, but none from breeding so far.

14. AceTrainer14

AceTrainer14 The acest of trainers

Blog Posts:
    I have never encountered a single shiny. I'd love to meet just one in game, even if it is something as remarkably useless as a Pikipek or something. I do think in fiction they have a benefit, as it shows that they can come in different colours/patterns which makes things more interesting to describe. I do like to think that one day we'll get a game that has patterns for the Pokemon and not just copy and pasted - but, given how long it took to let you change the avatars clothing, that probably won't happen until at least 2050.

15. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday, I wanted to record a video, but Audacity didn't pick up any sound. Today, I tried using my laptop's built-in microphone, but that didn't work either. So basically, my laptop, which I've owned for just over a week, decided to stop recognising audio input, and my previous laptop decided one day to stop recognising any output besides the built-in speakers. Yay...

EDIT: And Microsoft doesn't have a support email. Double yay...

EDIT2: I realised that the problem is that Audacity is recording the system's audio, rather than external. I don't know how I turned it on, and I don't know how to turn it off. Is there a computer support subreddit?

#16255 Nitro Indigo, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  16. diamondpearl876

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like an issue with Audacity, not your computer. Does Audacity's site have a help section?

17. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    Turned out that the only recording device I had turned on was the Stereo Mix, so I disabled it and enabled the built-in microphone. Unfortunately, the headset is still broken, and the built-in microphone makes me sound like I'm in a well.

18. Lyrebird

Lyrebird Goddess

Blog Posts:
    Shinies are fun to destory. I find them to be a way useless feature like seriously.

19. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    I forgot to mention, several YouTube channels I used to find interesting have now devolved into shiny hunting channels.

20. UselessBytes

UselessBytes Plays too much Yu-Gi-Oh!

Blog Posts:
    eh, I've hunted quite a few myself, and I find the enjoyment for me comes more from the preparation and grinding factor as opposed to the actual shiny pokemon. I've got no clue why though.

As for natural shinies, I found a sandshrew back in ruby and didn't realize it was shiny until I had almost killed it, and I got a random shiny alolan raticate while picking up the last few items in the Poni wilds