• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I often skipped to the end of books when I was young to see if the ending was worth sitting through the 100 or so pages before it. I don't do it anymore because usually, they are. If people don't have the patience to sit through plot or follow characters as the develop, they shouldn't be reading a book anyways.

When I was younger, I skipped to the end of the book that was about 50 pages long because I thought it would take too long for me to read the series.

The only book I can remember ever reading a bit from the end of was Half Blood Prince. I wanted to see how many chapters there were as it was the first one I got on the day and it was terribly exciting, but of course the first line of the last chapter reveals the big death, so, yeah.... never again!

I went into Harry Potter spoiled, but there were still things I didn't know, so my enjoyment came from seeing how they happened. I honestly really like Prisoner of Azkaban because it's "concise"; that is, all the plot points come together in the end. Other examples of concise stories include Toy Story, and One Wish.

Also, I've finally narrowed down my Pokésona/mascot/character/whatever candidates to three:
I think Togetic really fits my personality. My channel is about trying to encourage more people to have positive opinions on unpopular things I like. Problem is, I'd prefer a Pokémon with more vivid colouring. And I don't like its English name, because it's clearly a misromanisation.

Skitty has been a Pokémon I've used to represent myself since around 2010. It was my starter in Explorers of Time, and the last Pokémon I expected to get, because I'd never heard of it before. On PokéFarm, I made a lot of friends over Skitty.

My reason for considering Mantyke is more recent. A few days ago, I saw a thread on Reddit suggesting what could be done with the Game Corner in some theoretical Sinnoh remakes, and one of the suggestions in the first post was getting eggs from it, and one of the Pokémon you could get from those theoretical eggs would be Mantyke. I loved the idea of getting Mantyke before literally the end of the game, so I responded, overjoyed, and then someone replied, saying that people like me make the Pokémon fandom more diverse.

I ought to have known this'd be The Guardian. The author seems to have taken a leaf out of cracked.com's book when it comes to citing research. As long as you can find at least one study that apparently backs up your claim, it's science! And only stupid irrational people argue with science.

Snark aside, the logic is silly. How can you know it's a bad ending if you don't have the context of the rest of the story?

Reading the end first would ruin the book more than if you read it through to the "bad ending". Take mystery novels, for example. If you read the last chapter or two first and then started over, there'd be little to no tension during the plot because you know how it's resolved in advance.

Also, I find the best way to get through, and even enjoy, a bad ending is to always have the mindset that you'll enjoy it. What I (pretty automatically) do for everything is to see any good aspects of, in this case, the ending, and have them overshadow the bad aspects. Of course, by no means am I saying to always casually excuse poor writing - I just lean towards the positive aspects when I can.

Criticism is still always important, though! Rail on me if my writing's that bad; just do it as politely as possible, 'kay? :p /rant

Just been reading How to be a Tudor, and got to say, what passed for science then never ceases to be entertaining. When it came to matters of hygiene they were usually pretty sensible, though they were sensible for the wrong reasons. When it came to medicine and nutrition though ... it goes a long way to explaining why Henry VIII ended up terribly fat, gouty, and bad-tempered

Just been reading How to be a Tudor

c2964.jpg

I always wanted to do this.

Isn't there a TV show called The Tudors? And apparently the actual Tudors would rather be called the Merediths?

An Analysis of Generation 2 Pokémon Basically, I go on about how Johto has a nature theme, how most of its Pokémon look like they belong in forests, and how the designs became more creative after Generation 1, which had nothing to compare it to.

Dublings: Translational Artefacts Since most of the things I like are Japanese, I'll need help finding examples of dublings from various languages.

Do Judge a Book By Its Cover #2 The only book covers I can think of anything to say about right now are the UK Wings of Fire covers, and maybe that UK edition of Dragon Rider (which has dubling potential) with glitter.

There is. I don't remember reading about Meredith in relation to the dynasty, if that's what you mean - they did engage in a lot of branding, given that Henry VII's claim was shaky. Endlessly entertaining, the Tudors. That dynasty throws up two of the most colourful monarchs - and one of the most interesting women - in English history

It was in the Second Book of General Ignorance, but I haven't read that for a while. How reliable is QI?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom