• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Well, looks like there'll be a lot of armed police about when I head on down to our fair capital next week. At this point I'd usually make some kind of wry joke about looking indeterminately ethnic but I honestly can't think of one good enough

@CrystaI @AceTrainer14 There's this site I used to go on called PokéFarm Q, and in the on-site PokéDex, there was realistic art of all the Pokémon. Most of it looked very grotesque, like rejected Flanimals.

In other news, I was constructing an RU/NU team on Showdown, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that not only did Aromatisse have higher base HP than Florges, but it also has a wider movepool, learning moves such as Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt.

The word "REALISTIC" had been abused......
Apparently, "realistic" = "horrific grotesque"
So, these kind of things are more likely to exist in reality:
neo-contra-20041018070817934.jpg

ngbbs4c6649461575d.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ID4R-Alien-Soldier-014.jpg

What kind of logic is that?

Edit: Do not forget, these things truly exist in our reality.
images

impossibly-cute-puppy-21.jpg

images

Rabbits.jpg

Last edited:
@CrystaI People think that negativity is realistic, unfortunately. It's the difference between Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Last edited:
Was there any big differences in the atmosphere and presentation between FA 2003 and FA: Brotherhood?

I'd finished watching both, and also its original manga. The only difference was the former is original story, and the latter is more faithful to the original manga story. Still, both consist of bloody battles and consistent fatal injuries, overall atmosphere is still that dark and angst.

So I don't quite understand your comparison.

realistic nature in real life: colorful, vibrant, filled with life and beautiful formations of stone
realistic nature in video games: gray, brown, everything's dead, boring rocks

i think this might actually be because of what realism in literature was: unpleasant, no happy endings, breaking the conventions and ideals set by romanticism, commentating on society's issues. "realistic" has come to mean "non-escapist", and escapism doesn't exist unless there's something to escape from.

I honestly think that teenage faux-misanthropy has a lot to answer for in this. That, and a sort of half-arsed look at nature. Just look at your average cat - yes, they're cute, and nearly always know just how cute they are, but anybody who's ever trodden in half a mouse left on the doorstep ought to know how quickly that can change. Or mallard ducks - cheerfully quacking, gregariously gathering round for scraps of bread, sexually violent when March rolls round. Male robins - tweet tweet tweet, look how sweet and bright-eyed I am, bet you didn't see me try to murder my neighbour.

And then you've got wolf spiders carrying round clutches of little spiderlings on their back, water buffalo trying to flatten lions that get too close to the calves, elephants that mourn their dead ...

Simon Barnes has something interesting to say on that, in his otherwise tiresomely self-indulgent Ten Million Aliens - that talking about the natural world, evolution especially, leads us to use misleading colloquialisms. When we say "x organ is designed to do y", we don't shouldn't actually mean to imply the existence of a designer, whether we're labelling that designer God or whether we're anthropomorphising evolution itself. It's really a short way of saying "by process of natural selection x fulfils the function of y", a metaphor really. But somewhere along the way we tend to forget that it was a metaphor in the first place

we're talking about life and uh oh do you hear that it's the existential crisis approaching wwoooOOOoOOoooOOooooooOOOOOOOOO

i really really need to update my avatar, people are either horrified or mistake it for a bird

GUYS ITS ANTHRO LORD HELIX PLS THATS SO OBVIOUS WHY CANT U SEE IT /s

@Crystal Some people like 2003 better because it's more depressing, basically.
Personally I think they are both overall depressing enough. Only Brotherhood had a happy ending, and 2003 had a non-positive non-negative ending. Still, I would say they are both that depressing during their entire run before the ending arrives.

But that is just my opinion. I guess I'm not part of the majority.

It doesn't existed anymore. It was deleted.
So apparently, the idea of cute AND realistic pokemon had forever erased from earth. How limited is the creativity of mankind.

Last edited:
It doesn't existed anymore. It was deleted.
So apparently, the idea of cute AND realistic pokemon had forever erased from earth. How limited is the creativity of mankind.
r/pokemon recently decided that art shouldn't be posted on certain days of the week.

Every time I make a file on Pixlr, my computer freezes when I try to open it. Yay...

In other news, I really hate a certain other website's insistence that a certain Cars character is a lesbian, because not only does it blatantly contradict canon, but the lesbian version of the character has exactly one character trait: she hates the character she loves in canon. Granted, she's not a super-interesting character in canon to begin with, but a lot of people on that site have a strange idea that making a character LGBT makes them inherently better. /rant

okay i think i know which site you're talking about. a good rule of thumb is to have absolutely no expectations when on there. some people will make any character they can (or can't) LGBT or PoC even if it makes no sense or would even be feeding stereotypes by assuming so. it's best to just not bother, and take consolation in the fact that those posts are likely just made by a vocal minority. i mean, i knew tons of people there who were nice and polite.

anyway, that said, i've really been neglecting writing for some paintings, and then neglected their painting for procrastinating. there's a painting i've been doing for theme month called mermay (as in the theme is mermaids), and... well, soon it won't be may anymore. but it's just that i don't fully know how to do some parts and i procrastinate by perfecting the parts that looked presentable into amazing, buuut this whole thing was supposed to be just a speedpaint... x_x

still i might as well work on revising agape and writing my newest fic if i can't get anything done with the painting. the other 2 drawings i'm doing have no time limit, they can wait.

I'm glad you gave me a reasonable response, @canisaries. I was a bit worried people might get mad at me.

I have something to add to my rant: Moving a problem (in this case, a character being uninteresting) doesn't fix it.

I can't give you any advice about sticking to tasks, unfortunately.

eh, can't really get mad when i don't know anything about this character other than what you've said and i've seen this kinda thing happen way too many times before.

well, i managed to revise like 3 lines in a fic and im gonna try to finish that may-painting thing today, so i guess it's a start.

Back
Top Bottom