• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY105: Satoshi and Serena! Catch One at the Dance Party!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When there's no context to the word "get" and no indication of any new, upcoming team additions despite this episode being right around the corner... making an assumption like that is a bit too risky for something that's going to be plastered all over the Internet for people to see as an objectively correct translation without any "actually it could also mean x" footnotes attached to it. Which is the exact reason I used "get" in the first place. It's better to be ague than to end up being wrong.

For the record, I never said that your translation wasn't any good. It's perfectly fine.

The bigger point I was making with my post, though, is that the translation posted by Playerking unfortunately implied things that just weren't implied in the original Japanese. A translation of "Getting It at the Dance Party" implies that the show's two ten-year old protagonists are going to have sex with each other and that unsavory idea basically took over all conversation in this thread. Almost nobody was talking about how the original title uses the same word for "capture" (or "get," if you prefer) that the show uses for pokemon capture episodes because they were too busy snickering at the phrase "getting it."

(Also, this show always throws in a capture or two per series that was never foreshadowed by any openings, endings, merchandise, etc. A capture now wouldn't be out of the question)

It's possible that the "get" in the Japanese title refers to some item but I honestly think a pokemon capture is way, waaaay more likely than, say, a Keystone / Mega Ring.

(not to be mean, but you did refer to XY&Z2 as "The Hot-Blooded Hariborg! Its Target is Puni-chan!!" or whatever it was back when the episode hadn't actually aired and it was still rather unclear exactly who or what was targeting it...

No offense taken. I did do exactly what you said. And I corrected it once the episode actually aired.

But you also know just as well as I do that the Japanese language has the tendency to be very vague and unclear. When you just have two sentences with no context whatsoever there's bound to be a number of different ways to interpret it. My perfectly logical interpretation at that time just happened to not be the best one.

And that's fine.

Why would Ash get a keystone and a mega ring? He currently has no Pokemon on his team that can mega evolve. He could always recall Charizard, Sceptile, or Heracross, but that's highly unlikely..

I don't see how it's a capture episode. Nothings been hinted towards that route.

Although I'm still on the fence on this one. The title itself implies heavy amourshipping, but the episodes plot could be something entirely different(probably will). I'm pretty sure the episode will be AS heavy, though.

Why would Ash get a keystone and a mega ring? He currently has no Pokemon on his team that can mega evolve. He could always recall Charizard, Sceptile, or Heracross, but that's highly unlikely..

Why does everyone forget Glalie?

Anyway, Miette might turn up and force Serena to confess her feelings. Hopefully Serena captures a Meowstic, Absol, Litwick or Litleo (the last two were seen on a game board next to Serena's Braixen on a main character spot, implying that they will soon be in the main cast.) I can't wait for a summary on the episode.

Why does everyone forget Glalie?

Anyway, Miette might turn up and force Serena to confess her feelings. Hopefully Serena captures a Meowstic, Absol, Litwick or Litleo (the last two were seen on a game board next to Serena's Braixen on a main character spot, implying that they will soon be in the main cast.) I can't wait for a summary on the episode.
Well he is the most forgettable of Ash's Pokemon or one of them. He was caught then evolved then just left at the Lab and not seen in Battle Frontier.

I hope Miette shows up here. That will make things interesting.

For the record, I never said that your translation wasn't any good. It's perfectly fine.

The bigger point I was making with my post, though, is that the translation posted by Playerking unfortunately implied things that just weren't implied in the original Japanese. A translation of "Getting It at the Dance Party" implies that the show's two ten-year old protagonists are going to have sex with each other and that unsavory idea basically took over all conversation in this thread. Almost nobody was talking about how the original title uses the same word for "capture" (or "get," if you prefer) that the show uses for pokemon capture episodes because they were too busy snickering at the phrase "getting it."

Yeah, I know. I should've probably been more clear, but what I "quite disagreed with" was translating ゲット as "catch" in this instance, since it's a rather unambiguous translation of a title that's a lot more vague than that. I specifically asked Serebii not to translate the word into "dub-ese" by changing it to "catch" when posting it on his mainpage for that exact reason.
Playerking "translates" by looking at other people's translations and swapping some words around, which is where that silly "getting it" wording came from.

(Also, this show always throws in a capture or two per series that was never foreshadowed by any openings, endings, merchandise, etc. A capture now wouldn't be out of the question)

It's possible that the "get" in the Japanese title refers to some item but I honestly think a pokemon capture is way, waaaay more likely than, say, a Keystone / Mega Ring.

(...)But you also know just as well as I do that the Japanese language has the tendency to be very vague and unclear. When you just have two sentences with no context whatsoever there's bound to be a number of different ways to interpret it. My perfectly logical interpretation at that time just happened to not be the best one.

Of course it's not out of the question, and could very well happen. My point is just that when we don't know exactly what's being referred to, it's much better to have the translation be vague than to guess what's being referred to and risk being wrong about it especially when translating something like this title, which is going to be posted around the Internet for people that have no idea how the terminology used in the original works. And those people are going to assume the title is 100% definitely referring to someone getting a new Pokemon.

As for the likelyhood of what it's referring to, there's a lot of posters in the Pokemon anime thread on 2ch that are pointing out it makes little sense for neither Satoshi nor Serena to get a new Pokemon NOW, and wondering if the title could be referring to someone getting some sort of object instead. Take it for what you want, but at least these are native Japanese fans that all have a full understanding of how the series uses the word ゲット.

Yeah, I know. I should've probably been more clear, but what I "quite disagreed with" was translating ゲット as "catch" in this instance, since it's a rather unambiguous translation of a title that's a lot more vague than that. I specifically asked Serebii not to translate the word into "dub-ese" by changing it to "catch" when posting it on his mainpage for that exact reason.
Playerking "translates" by looking at other people's translations and swapping some words around, which is where that silly "getting it" wording came from.

It's so cute when you make these mistakes by jumping to such conclusions, or rather funny I should say, you know what, it's a bit of both. Because that is never the case. My translations are not cases of word swapping, whether I do them or better yet, when I ask fully qualified translators. Regardless, "Getting It" is not really anything sexual. While "It" is a common euphemism for it, "I have hardly ever or probably ever heard "Getting it" as a similar euphemism. So Getting it is not really all that different for "Getting One".

Also, having it as "Catch" is fine, as there is no way that "Getto da ze" refers to a Princess Key and there's no indication as to what else it could be and the most common use for it refers to catching Pokemon.

If Team Flare have already caught the second Zygarde, then it's pretty baffling that Ash and Serena have time for a dance party.

The first episode of January has Bonnie and Puni-chan together (which we knew a few days before this title was revealed), so I'm not sure how you can make any sort of conclusion that Ash and Serena can't do what they'd do when there isn't a crisis happening at the moment.

I don't see how it's a capture episode. Nothings been hinted towards that route.

Nothing hinted at Noibat having a fight with Breloom and making friends with a Floette, title and summary. Nothing hinted at a dance party....title.

While yes a capture at a dance party would be odd, and weird, and you'd think logically that in regards to a DANCE PARTY the last you'd think "getto da ze" is referencing to a capture instead of something more likely like a trophy or dance ribbon.

BUT at the same time there are reasons and scenarios for why they'd get new Pokemon.

As for the likelyhood of what it's referring to, there's a lot of posters in the Pokemon anime thread on 2ch that are pointing out it makes little sense for neither Satoshi nor Serena to get a new Pokemon NOW, and wondering if the title could be referring to someone getting some sort of object instead. Take it for what you want, but at least these are native Japanese fans that all have a full understanding of how the series uses the word ゲット.

Except they've clearly never seen Pokemon before since it's be 20+ episode since Ash last caught a Pokemon (and he has FIVE Pokemon by the way), so saying it makes little sense for Ash to get a new Pokemon NOW, makes absolute no sense outside of "Well we sure as hell wasn't told about a capture, so screw them if they randomly have Ash and Serena catch a Pokemon"

Sounds more like spoiled brats rather than logical Japanese viewers. Although if by "NOW" they mean because "Dance Party" then I can understand that and that's fine, should've been clearer. But if they mean timeline wise, then no.

And for Serena as well who is close to Master class, her getting a Pokemon NOW, would be prepared for that occasion when she gets her final princess key.

Honestly with a whole bunch of stuff happening in 2016, this honestly might be the only time they CAN get new captures and not have it be completely jarring later on.

We have Serena's next Pokemon showcase (maybe February), Eevee evolving, we also have Ash's gym battle, we also have Ash vs Alain and Sawyer, we have more Team Flare episodes, We probably also have Serena's master class assuming she wins her next showcase, and if she doesn't, that's 2 more episodes devoted to 2 more Pokemon showcases. one episode at least devoted to Jessie getting her final princess key (regardless if its otherwise a filler episode, though it could happen during Ash's gym battle with Wulfric), Ash's Pokemon league, and probably a handful of fillers because screw having non filler episodes. And god knows what other episodes are eating up Thursdays not devoted to a trainer catching a Pokemon.

Honestly if not NOW, the only time that Ash or Serena COULD get new Pokemon, would have to wait after Master Class and the Pokemon League, now THAT makes little to no sense.

Adamant said:

I'd just like to point out that of the sixteen episodes that have used the word ゲット in their title a whopping fifteen of them referred to catching a pokemon. The only one that didn't was the Gym Battle against Asuna in Advanced Generation.

I'm not particularly married to the use of "catch" in this title translation and see "get" as being a perfectly fine alternative. But when you have numbers like these it's hard for me to feel like "catch" is in any way inappropriate or risky.

Playerking said:
"Getting It" is not really anything sexual.

It most certainly is.

The only one that didn't was the Gym Battle against Asuna in Advanced Generation.
And if Bulbapedia is correct, it actually said what was to be "gotten" in the title since it apparently mentions the heat badge.

In which case I can understand why even though the title says "Dance Party" why a capture would be considered more likely.

It most certainly is.

Only by perversion of the mind.

"Getting it" refers FAR more to getting an item/object than getting laid which would make more sense if "it" was followed by "on"

"Oh I forgot my cellphone let me go get it"

"She and I are going to be getting it" "Getting what?" "The sex" "Oh, Getting it on!"

Getting it = laid is freaking weird English slang in comparison to "Getting it on."

I'd just like to point out that of the sixteen episodes that have used the word ゲット in their title a whopping fifteen of them referred to catching a pokemon. The only one that didn't was the Gym Battle against Asuna in Advanced Generation.

Yeah, I know that. I just think a situation like this, where the episode is airing in just slightly over a month and we don't have any indication a new Pokémon is going to join the team (and we do have two upcoming evolutions spoiled), is one where it's better to play it safe when translating for people that don't even know the anime refers to catching as "getting" in Japanese. Especially when Japanese fans are having this exact same "I'm not so sure it actually refers to a new Pokemon" discussion as we speak for the exact same reason.

And speaking of which...
dman_dustin, I don't really think the appropriate response to "I'm not so sure anyone's catching a new Pokemon here because..." is "Well I think you're just a spoiled brat" without even bothering to ask what their reasoning was.
Which, for the record, was the fact that both characters have a Pokemon that's currently the center of a running development arc (Gekkouga and Eievui/Nymphia) that we know is getting focus right now, making this a rather bizarre time to choose to tossing a new Pokemon on either team. And that's without getting into the aforementioned fact that the episode is right around the corner and there's zero hints anywhere about a new Pokemon.

dman_dustin, I don't really think the appropriate response to "I'm not so sure anyone's catching a new Pokemon here because..." is "Well I think you're just a spoiled brat" without even bothering to ask what their reasoning was.
I did make one exception if they meant in reference to the title.

Which, for the record, was the fact that both characters have a Pokemon that's currently the center of a running development arc (Gekkouga and Eievui/Nymphia) that we know is getting focus right now, making this a rather bizarre time to choose to tossing a new Pokemon on either team. And that's without getting into the aforementioned fact that the episode is right around the corner and there's zero hints anywhere about a new Pokemon.

Again they haven't seen Pokemon at all.

After Ash caught Hawlucha, Fletchling evolved into Fletchinder, after Goomy was caught, gym battle didn't include Goomy.

And let's not forget about the worst offender, Noibat, who is only NOW only getting focus after 27 episodes and its likely to just evolve the damn thing.

So again if there only reasoning is "because there is no hints of a capture" then yes they're being spoiled brats. By all means if they have a legitimate reason for why a capture could not happen I'd like to hear it.

and there's zero hints anywhere about a new Pokemon.
OR maybe there are, just no one is seeing them, or paying attention to them believing them to only be obscure and irrelevant.

Let's also not forget about the weird way the series has been advertised. Ash Greninja and Noivern on the poster, only Ash Greninja in the opening. Mega Sceptile and Eevee on the poster, unlikely we'll see Mega Sceptile BEFORE Eevee evolves.

I've stopped believing the writers care all that much to how a series is portrayed. All I know the earlier a capture for both Ash and Serena the better.

Plus let's not forget about Palpitoad and Stunfisk.

Also, having it as "Catch" is fine, as there is no way that "Getto da ze" refers to a Princess Key and there's no indication as to what else it could be and the most common use for it refers to catching Pokemon.
I was thinking that the word "get" in the translation would refer to them catching a Pokémon, meaning Ash and Serena will probably both catch a new Pokémon in this episode.

Last edited:
I think if it is a capture then is a shoehorned one for the anniversary and that explain the lack of foreshadowing.

Haruka got plenty of captures like that.

Well, since the episode has the words "Satoshi and Serena" and "dance party" by context, we could all agree that is heavily focused on them.

I don't think there is going to be a new pokemon catch for several reasons... the final pokemon of Ash must be a special one since in most of the season he has been stayed with only 5 pokemon, overall. So I assume that its 6th pokemon will be one capable of mega evolve and must be one very close to him. We all know the posible candidates. There is no way that just a random pokemon that was catched in just one episode will be his last.

As for Serena, is pretty unlikely due to plot reasons. Having more than 3 pokemon with her will divide the attention and character development between them. Also, she has just started with the development of Eevee. I believe she'll stay with just 3 pokemon by the end of this season.

Sure, I could be wrong though. We shall see.

And so... as a crazy Amourshipper that I am. I'm very excited! Just imagining them dancing together... Ohh goodness.

I can't wait
:X3:

So more Amour bait? I don't expect a capture since we haven't gotten any foreshadowing, unless people still think that the wild Quilladin will return and be caught by Ash. :sleep:

Well, since the episode has the words "Satoshi and Serena" and "dance party" by context, we could all agree that is heavily focused on them.

I don't think there is going to be a new pokemon catch for several reasons... the final pokemon of Ash must be a special one since in most of the season he has been stayed with only 5 pokemon, overall. So I assume that its 6th pokemon will be one capable of mega evolve and must be one very close to him. We all know the posible candidates. There is no way that just a random pokemon that was catched in just one episode will be his last.

As for Serena, is pretty unlikely due to plot reasons. Having more than 3 pokemon with her will divide the attention and character development between them. Also, she has just started with the development of Eevee. I believe she'll stay with just 3 pokemon by the end of this season.

Sure, I could be wrong though. We shall see.

And so... as a crazy Amourshipper that I am. I'm very excited! Just imagining them dancing together... Ohh goodness.

I can't wait
:X3:

Someone mentioned earlier that they could both catch a Meowstic. If they catch a Pokémon (even if one catches a Pokémon), it will be special if it has some sort of connection to each other, like both having a Meowstic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom