• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Yokai Watch Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Reaction score
Today, I just downloaded the demo of Yokai Watch, the video game that has gained popularity in Japan, and is supposedly taking away the market share from the Pokemon franchise. From the limited gameplay I've done with the demo (and you only have 15 tries to use it :/) these are my thoughts:

-The overworld layout reminds me quite a lot like a gen. VI Pokemon game - the graphics, sprite sizes, the view of the city, even the house interiors looks really familiar in style!
-The artwork, somehow I think Pokemon does better than this game. The Yokai characters don't have a very memorable designs to me - though it might be because I'm so used the streamlined look of pokemon, and this is just "different" right now.
-The battle scene layout feels... somewhat awkward, with a lot of things going on at once. You have to keep an eye on both screens in play, and the complexity here can be overwhelming. Theres an awkward sense of quick stylus skills to work with and strategy to take into account. I actually lost the boss battle on my first try. v_v

Anyways, if you played the demo, what are your thoughts if it?

I've been following this game since it was released in Japan and I love it! I believe it should be looked at as a game of its own, so I don't think it's fair to compare it to Pokemon.
The game really reminds me of Ni No Kuni, which was also developed by Level-5. The only complaint I have is I wish the battles were a bit more on the button-pushing side instead of swirling the stylus and drawing. I guess it's something to get used to. Regarding design/characters, Komasan is my favorite so far!

The overworld graphics make Generation VI look amateurish.

Chibster said:
The game really reminds me of Ni No Kuni, which was also developed by Level-5.
Agreed, but I'm actually glad that the battles aren't like in Ni no Kuni (the PS3 version). The boss battles in that game are very time-consuming.

I prefer to be immersed in the world and story rather than the battles.

Last edited:
The overworld graphics make Generation VI look amateurish.

Chibster said:
The game really reminds me of Ni No Kuni, which was also developed by Level-5.
Agreed, but I'm actually glad that the battles aren't like in Ni no Kuni (the PS3 version). The boss battles in that game are very time-consuming.

I prefer to be immersed in the world and story rather than the battles.
It's amateurish because this gen is GF's first attempt at 3d while Lvl5 did that years ago with Layton.
Anyways what may make or break the game is the battle system and the loafing mechanic

Own bath the first and second game I can confirm that the series is really but definitely a required test as it takes some getting used to.
It'll be interesting to see how YW fares westward and if it can make a splash.

Finally got the demo downloaded and played. So far I really like it. I agree with Chibster it reminds me a lot of Ni No Kuni art wise. I had some trouble doing the search for the Yo-Kai in the beginning because I kept trying to use the analog stick. Once I started using the touch screen it was 50 million times easier. The combat was pretty fun once I had practiced it a time or two. Apparently my drawing-in-the-line skills are weak. :/ My favorite yo-kai so far is one of the ones I obtained but couldn't put in my team. I think it was called the Peckpocket? Its this fat purple bird thing and I love it.

The battling is soooo casual, you barely have to do anything to win. The exploration seems better than Pokemon though, so that's something.

it's okay. i didn't enjoy it too much as the battling seemed more reactive rather than active and it slowly seemed to devolve into something more monotonous than Pokemon. that scanning mini-game to find the Yokai and even just finding the Yokai kinda gets boring fast. though, it could be just because the demo is a bit sloppy (tbh). GameFreak and co. may need to be careful in Japan, i don't think they'll have much to worry about for the international market.

it's okay. i didn't enjoy it too much as the battling seemed more reactive rather than active and it slowly seemed to devolve into something more monotonous than Pokemon. that scanning mini-game to find the Yokai and even just finding the Yokai kinda gets boring fast. though, it could be just because the demo is a bit sloppy (tbh). GameFreak and co. may need to be careful in Japan, i don't think they'll have much to worry about for the international market.

I'm assuming that since the anime is airing on Disney XD (yes, seriously), the game is meant for kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom