1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Z-Moves: Do you even use them?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by Life, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Life

Life oh my

Blog Posts:
    Despite what you may have said before playing the game, do you find yourself using them now? Do you think they provide a noticeable difference to in-game play? What are your thoughts on them, and how they connect with the plot? Note: just remember to put any plot-spoilers in spoiler tags; thanks!

Personally I forget they're there half of the time, and even though it's your main reward for completing a trial I always look forward more to the 10 variant poké balls instead. But they're different I guess? I don't really see the need for them though.

#1 Life, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Soki and AussieEevee like this.
  2. Isamu Akai

Isamu Akai Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I've used them in Kahuna battles before, specially as an ending blow to defeat their last Pokemon. Otherwise I hardly ever use them and I often forget about them.

3. Esserise

Esserise Liberator

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I think they're pretty fun, especially some of the status ones.

4. AussieEevee

AussieEevee The Eevee from Australia. Jealous?

Blog Posts:
    I used them in my first playthough but I also used Megas and Legendaries in my first playthrough of other generations (And I used legendaries in my Sun playthrough).

Z-moves do have an awesome animation to them (That Pika one from the trainer <3) but they are also overpowered, so like Megass and Legendaries, I'm banning them from my future playthroughs. (My first playthrough is always story focused)

5. Esiouqrut

Esiouqrut Greenish-Blue Trainer (?)

Blog Posts:
    I used them mainly to battle bosses, like totem and kahuna. Other than that I usually don't use them that much.

6. PikachuColoredPichu

PikachuColoredPichu Evil Overlord

Blog Posts:
    I keep forgetting to give them to my Pokémon. I'm hoping to evolve my Munchlax real soon, have it learn Giga Impact, then use the Snorlium-Z on him.

7. Keshav

Keshav Member

Blog Posts:
    I use them for the final blow or sometimes when I find myself in trouble. I was struggling against Hapu mainly because of that overpowered Earthquake( I defeated dugtrio but mudsdale was way too hard)but greninja's hydro vortex saved the day.

8. Chibster

Chibster Star Warrior

Blog Posts:
    I use it if I'm in a pinch and especially in an endless call for help battle.

9. Shiny Celebi

Shiny Celebi Legendary
    Head Administrator

Blog Posts:
    They're useful when wild Pokemon get aggravating when they endlessly call for help and often helps KO Pokemon quickly.

emilsn91 likes this.
  10. CynthiaLover

CynthiaLover Geek of the Games

Blog Posts:
    Varies. I often forget about them, but they do provide useful when I'm in a bind or need to deal heavy damage fast. I plan to at least use my Starters' Z-Moves a bit more frequently once I get the respective Z-Crystals, but they're not high on my list. Though I do like the animations, as they look like moves you'd see in certain other games. So Z-Moves are a mixed bag for me, as it just boils down to what I need them for and if they'll provide me any sort of use in certain situations.

11. Arceus the Dragon

Arceus the Dragon Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.

Blog Posts:
    I use them especially in tough battles. Helped me a lot in my opinion.

12. Karamazov

Karamazov Normies get off my field REEEEEE

Blog Posts:
    I usually use them when I'm too lazy to fight a long fight, or as a finisher against a character I really hate. Sometimes Sometimes I just use them to win a match, if only because it makes for a good finisher.

They're a lot less lame than I thought they'd be tbh. Still vastly prefer Megas, though.

13. Esserise

Esserise Liberator

Blog Posts:
    I think I've actually gone in the opposite direction on this. I like Mega Evolution well enough, but Z-Moves feel more climactic to me. I like trying to predict when would be the best time to deploy one, whereas with Mega Evolution, I would just trigger it at the start of the battle and continue on from there, business-as-usual. If I'm in the middle of a tough battle (which as a pleasant surprise, several of the big ones in SM have been for me), I find that Z-Moves are really immersive in that they can actually turn the tide in the way that Mega Evolution was intended to but never ended up doing (because the tendency is to just Mega Evolve right away; you get less mileage out of your Mega if you wait to use it at a dire moment).

But that's all just my experience. I do see why others would still prefer Mega Evolution.

14. Dustflier

Dustflier Buzzin'

Blog Posts:
    I use them. It's just fun to pull a "There's no kill like overkill" bit, and having Inci use a Flare Blitz-boosted Inferno Overdrive OHKO'd the member of the Big Bad's team that gave a lot of trouble to other people so I could sweep the rest.

#14 Dustflier, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  15. Alola

Alola Life & death & love & birth

Blog Posts:
    Is this a plot relevant character/spoiler?

#15 Alola, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2016
  16. FlowerMagician

FlowerMagician Blooming...

Blog Posts:
    I haven't used them yet. Am almost about to face Olivia.

17. Dustflier

Dustflier Buzzin'

Blog Posts:
    *EDITTING FOR THE SAKE OF OTHER PEOPLE INTENSIFIES*

Alola likes this.
  18. NoirCore

NoirCore Black and Gold 4ever!

Blog Posts:
    I use them quite often, especially to ensure a finishing blow to the end of a battle or a tough Pokemon.

19. Team Gaara

Team Gaara ~TWO MOONS~

Blog Posts:
    Not really~ I've used them about twice at the point I am now (about to fight Olivia) and it was only VS Wishiwashi because my entire team was too weak for him~ XD

I wanna use them more, just never don't have good enough moves to make the most out of them~

20. EmpoleonProd

EmpoleonProd Empoleon Fanatic

Blog Posts:
    I use them a lot. They're helpful for boss battles. And they're fun too, might as well learn all about them now so I can use them competitively where they'll surely be a big factor.