• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contested Evidence

What would've been real funny would be if you could compete with characters from the anime like Drew, Harley, Nozomi, etc. Too bad it's not very likely to happen ever.

is making good pofin that hard? I made a level 60 pofin that raised all of your pokemon's codion easly....

Um...the level 60 poffin that raises all the conditions is the one you get from that guy in the enterence hall after you get a Poffin case. Maybe you didn't realize that, and maybe you did, but if you already knew that PLEASE share your secret! Contests are so hard for me -- I absolutely stink at the visual protion, though I'm all right in dancing and acting.

I never played the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald games, so I don't have any contests to compare it to, but I actually dislike contests. To me, they seem rather pointless. But then again, I'd like to be good at them so I can actually figure out what's in that Ribbon Club place in the Resort Area, so it's kind of a mixed bag for me.

I absolutely DESPISE the new method of Poffin-making. If I want to make a Pokemon with a max visual stat, I have to feed it Pokeblocks then migrate it over to D/P. Despite having general hand/wrist/lower arm strength due to being a pianist, I still find I start to get rather tired after making ten or so poffins since my touch screen requires me to put extra effort into pushing down on the screen.

The visual portion, besides poffin-making, is okay. I like dressing Pokemon up and I have plenty of accessories.

I find the dance portion of the contest too easy - I haven't gotten anything less than a perfect score since the third time I'd ever tried it.

I don't like the new acting portion. I really miss the '+1' to score of having a right-type move. Now, there's very little strategy in the game. All you've got to have are:
2x +score if used last
1x +score if used first
1x A move that's the same type as the contest is.

In R/S/E, I'd easily won Masters in all categories and filled up the art museum. In D/P, I can't even win one Masters.

Let's not forget how unbalanced the appeals are. Now they have the "+2 if it raises the voltage" appeals. These are by far the best types of moves to use, yet their distribution throughout the five contests are terrible. Beauty having the most (which is four) and cute having the least (none). WHat's worse is that all those moves for the beauty contests are moves generally used by Bug Pokemon, easily allowing them to dominate the beauty contests in terms of appeals, considering the fact that they can learn multiple of these moves.

The other "+2 if it raises voltage" appeals for other contests are almost always given to moves that are only accessible to very few Pokemon, one of them even being Heart Swap, which only Manaphy and Smeargle can master.

Gamefreak has completely screwed over contests thanks to their unbalanced distribution of these moves. Not to mention the fact that it is nearly impossible to get max voltage, and without getting the extra point for using an appeal of the same contest, there is barely even any reason to bother. You can use all tough moves in a beauty contest and still succeed.

Also the vague discriptions in the visual appeals are ._.

Luckily I seem to be getting the hang of them.

Also, I disagree with your statement of these contests holding less strategy Lunabee. If I recall, all you really needed in the past contests were apeal combos, and either a good opener, or closer move depending on your position in the first or last appeal. There isn't as much strategy there either, it was just a hell of a lot easier. I mean, find a Pokemon who can do an appeal combo, and your guaranteed around 12 hearts in two turns. On the last turn, if your Pokemon is capable, end with something like Explosion or Destiny bond to give you 15 hearts. Certainly not hard.

Anyway, I've been findign it easier and easier to win the Master Rank Smart Contest, although I just barely win. It's my visuals.

Last edited:
Why aren't the contests online? I really don't get that.. :/ They'd be so much more fun if you could actually play it with other people.

Also, your screen must be b0rked Zeta, I haven't had a problem making Poffin at all. In fact, I quite enjoy it. It's far better than the annoying Berry Blender mini-game.

Please tell me you're kidding.

I despise the new contests. In Emerald, I loved playing contests. I haven't played constests in Diamond for a number of months now. Poffin making is one of the major reasons for that. Combos being deleted is another. I can't use my Alakazam's Future Sight/Psychic combo, or my numerous Castform combo's, anymore. Thank quite frankly annoys me.

Making poffin is actually my favorite part... I think I'm fairly good at it. I don't usually do contests, though. I usually only make poffin when there's a Pokemon in my team that I need to be friendlier for evolutionary reasons, or I'm jsut plain bored and I want to see how high I can get my poffin. (Lv. 30 was my best, I think...)

Boy, a lot of people seem to have trouble making poffins. Personally, that's my favorite part! You can get some really high level ones if you know what you're doing and you do it with others who know what they're doing. If you can continuously keep it right on the edge of spilling without actually spilling it, it will be quite high level, especially if there are multiple people working on it. Plus, you get the same number of poffins as there were people working on it.

I have several pokemon with multiple stats at maximum and room in their bellies for a few more.

Yeah, Poffins are the easiest part for me. Even soloing I can easily max out a stat. However, I can't for the life of me win a master rank contest, and it's really annoying. I've got the aforementioned maxed stats, got my pokemon all equipped with the right scarves... but my first round always ends up sucking and I can't figure out why. I know that my dancing sucks, but that can be remedied with practice. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it and get my master rank ribbons.

Contests are certainly harder in G4. In G3 you could walk over your competition with Claydol, Master of Contests and earn your Master Rank easily (With one Claydol you could easily earn Super in all, Hyper in 2, and maybe Master in 1). In G4 I'm having trouble raising a good contest Pokémon (and my practice appeal round had me in last place due to poor choice of judges or really bad voltage timing, etc).

Still, wouldn't it be cool to have a "Pokémon Contest Revolution" for the Wii with contests in amazing 3D (and unique rules such as double appeal and/or battle rounds)?

I don't see how earing Master in one contest could possibly credit Clatdol with the title "Master of Contests"

By those standards, making a "Master of Contests" in DP should be fairly easy. All the strong Leichi-class berries raise two of your conditions to max, and near maximum power. Being competant in the dress up should make up for the rest.

Since you don't actually need to use moves of the same type, you can go in on any contest with nearly the exact same moveset, and suceed in the acting round. The dance round is just a matter of practice.

Last edited:
Contests are certainly harder in G4. In G3 you could walk over your competition with Claydol, Master of Contests and earn your Master Rank easily (With one Claydol you could easily earn Super in all, Hyper in 2, and maybe Master in 1). In G4 I'm having trouble raising a good contest Pokémon (and my practice appeal round had me in last place due to poor choice of judges or really bad voltage timing, etc).

Relicanth is master of the contests in Gen 4. Try this set on for size.

- Blizzard
- Protect
- Take Down
- Calm Mind

Never mind that you might not be using the wrong move for a contest. In fact, I found that helped sometimes, in how I could screw over computers trying to get a voltage bonus. Just attach the appropriate scarf, make some high-quality Poke Blocks (Poffins can be better, but you need a lot of people and planning to pull it off, and you can't get high stats in every aspect, so transfer it over from Gen 3), and get ready to take names and kick ass. Also, if you want the Gen 3 ribbons, try these sets for those.

COOL & TOUGH
Tackle
Harden
Ancientpower
Hyper Beam

BEAUTY & CUTE
Blizzard
Mud Sport
Water Gun
Attract

SMART
Tackle
Ancientpower
Mud Sport
Water Gun

You'll need a variety of the pinch berries to pull this off, though. But it IS possible. I won all the contests, every rank, with one Relicanth, and it has over 50 ribbons. Also, you don't have to use Relicanth. Anything with the "Best if you go first/Protect/No frills, 3-Hearts/Double score" should work fine. But having them spread across the contest types can help.

And am I the only one who finds the Gen 3 contests harder? They're much more annoying with Jams and nervousness. Whereas Gen 4s don't have too much randomness. Worst case I've had was someone going first before me when I used Calm Mind, and not being able to use x8 Protect on anyone to back me up, but that's what I put Take Down on there for. In case things hit the fan like that. I still won.

Also, I might mention the weirdness in how some Pokemon (such as Magmortar) face the wrong way in contests. No harm done, and I don't know why it happens, but it's kind of annoying.

Last edited:
I don't even think any Pokemon (well, except the ones with like one or two moves like Magikarp or Kricketot) are made or not made for Contests.

Sadly, they seem to be pretty shallow and boosting stats with Poffins can basically gurantee a Probopass or Magmortar to win a beauty pageant.

I don't even think any Pokemon (well, except the ones with like one or two moves like Magikarp or Kricketot) are made or not made for Contests.

Sadly, they seem to be pretty shallow and boosting stats with Poffins can basically gurantee a Probopass or Magmortar to win a beauty pageant.

Yah. I nearly went all the way with my Camerupt in cute contests, but I flunked poffin training.

My formula is basically these things:

-Last turn doubles
-First turn doubles
-Doubles if it increases voltage
-Higher Score if voltage is low
-Doubles scoure next turn

If the Pokemon I'm using can't use one of the first four, I use that fifth option I give, or if it has another one of the other four, I use them.

I have a good cute moveset made out of tms thatt can be given to almost any pokemon (they are ordered in which order I use them in contests):

-Protect (high points for low voltage)
-Double team (goes first next round)
-Return (double if first)
-Facade (double on final proformance)

I currently have this set on a togepi and it stormed through the cute catagory.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom