• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: (Flowering Love 2024) What Can Be In Area 3?

Teebs96

CEO of Plainhiveshipping
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. It/Its
Hey everyone! This is my entry for the Flowering Love event this year! I hope you all enjoy it.

Ship: StarRodshipping (Eri x Ortega)

North Province. Area 3. A floral outlook that sees into the waters surrounding Paldea. Hills that are populated with Florges, Sunflora, Jumpluff and the ilk. It was here that the Ruchbah Squad’s base of Team Star was located; Ortega picked out the location himself.

Ortega always had a rather unique way of conducting himself. It wasn’t just his fashion or his choice of Type to specialize in; it was how he approached his hobbies. Most people think a Piano should be practiced in a closed room with proper acoustics, or that vehicles should be operated on in a garage with all the tools handy. Ortega preferred the open sunshine and breeze of the air to sway his hair as he did both. It was exactly why he called North Province his own little paradise for his hobbies.

On this day, on a calm early afternoon, he strutted forward, cane in hand as he began to look at the Revaroom currently fixed into the Starmobile he designed. A smile was on his face; not a smug one like he would usually don, but one of honest appreciation for his own handiwork. The Revaroom inside just looked at Ortega with a neutral expression.

“Gotta say. I do a darn good job with these.”

Under Ortega’s fanciful outfit was just a tank-top and some shorts. It was his mechanic's outfit. It let him easily perform some quick touch-ups and repair work on each Starmobile should the time come, like when Juliana soundly defeated him and his team on the Boss’s orders. He enjoyed his handiwork. It let him feel like it could translate some of his wealth into helping out his fellow outcasts in Team Star. Giacomo’s music equipment, Mela’s boots, Atticus’s cosplay fabric, Eri’s face paint. He would supply them with those from time to time, but he tried his best to not dip into his family’s money if he could help it. But what he could do without grabbing his wallet was whipping up some new rides for them to use, and he felt satisfied at the time. The ragtag group of those bullied now had sick new rides that were as intimidating as they were cool.

But now all that is over. Big Boss let herself be known who she was to everyone, and now Team Star is helping students at Naranja at the Star Training Centers instead of being bullied. And, to the Team Star, that’s all dandy. They get to stick together, and they get to give back to the school in exchange for not being expelled. Eri can teach some students how to wrestle and stay fit alongside Dendra, Atticus can teach them how to sew, Giacomo can teach music theory and editing, and Mela is… well, she’s Mela. She’ll always find a way to make something work.

Ortega didn’t really have anything like that. Sure, he was good at mechanics, and piano, but he was never a good teacher. Most of his youth was spent being taught, rather than learning how to teach. Harrington wasn’t even around any more to give him pointers. Thus, he looked again at the Starmobile, and deflated a bit. A more in-character pout came across his face. He couldn’t teach some student how to make their own ‘Starmobile’. How can he teach passion? Trial and error? Grit? It didn’t make sense to him. He needed something else. Something to work towards now that Team Star did their heel-face turn, as Eri called it.

“Eri. She’s been in my thoughts a lot lately…”

All of Team Star were the main characters in Ortega’s mind. Clavell, Juliana, that weirdo Arven guy, whatever. Those were just background dudes. The people who really mattered to him were his friends. So… why was Eri coming up more than the others?

He remembered yesterday, as the two were training. She raised her arm out, and she posed and did all of the flashy joshi-style dances and moves that one would expect from a wrestler of her kind. But she did it with grace and confidence. She had no shame in what she did; why would she?

“My Daschsbund got totally owned by her Annhilape’s Rage Fist. That totally sucked! If I was just less distracted it would’ve been better… But I was distracted.”

A blush came across Ortega’s cheeks. He’s developed stronger feelings for her. There was a small spark in his heart when they all formed Team Star that while ago. Eri was strong, kind, and compassionate. She could’ve been a bully herself with her strength. She could’ve grinded Carmen into a paste when she found out she was the one spreading rumors, but no. She instead took her in once the bullies came for her. And Ortega really came to appreciate that. He wouldn’t dare ask her out though. Any relationship within Team Star, a romantic one, could’ve really messed with the group dynamics. So that’s all it was. A spark with no wick to light.

“Ortie!”

Ortega jumped up like a Lokix ready to strike. He turned around, heart beating out of his chest, and then looking up.

“O-oh, hi Eri! W-what brings you here?”

Eri, clad in her full wrestling uniform, just smiled, hands behind her back as she posed cutely and effeminately. Speak of the devil.

“Nothing! Well, actually, I was thinking about seeing if I could find some Flamigo or Hariyama around here. So, maybe something then. But seeing one of my friends is a good bonus, right?”

Ortega couldn’t help but nod as he slowly regained his posture. From where Eri was, she stood directly in front of the sun. Some shade was being cast on Ortega. There was a gust of wind, and it blew colorful flower petals in between the two. It was enough to make Eri laugh.

“Ortie, what’s up? Glameow got your tongue?”

Eri put her hands now on her hips, a way that made her muscles a bit more pronounced. Ortega just clutched his cane tightly.

“Do you m-mind if I come with you?” His voice was stuttery and his demeanor was timid; uncommon for him and a dead tell that something was up.

“Mnh? Yeah no problem! Maybe you can pick up a pointer here or two.” Eri shrugged off any awkwardness that may have lingered in the air. If anything, she was still just happy to see her friend again.

A while later, Eri and her Annihilape were throwing punches in the air, practicing their speed. Ortega just watched in the meantime, hardly looking at her Pokémon, and mostly at her.

If there was one thing Ortega really admired about Eri, it was her balance. Not her balance on the turnbuckle, although that was something to write home about. It was how she balanced being herself. Being strong, yet supportive. Being kind, yet fierce. She never was too much in any one direction, yet it all came together seamlessly. She had it figured out, whereas he was still struggling to put it all together. His hands squeezed at his cane as he felt a yearning in his heart.

The flower petals in the air were of several many colors. Eri and Annihilape’s jabs were strong enough to kick up gusts of sea breeze and wind to make them flow in the air. It was like some otherworldly being painted the very sight he was seeing, with crescents and curves of wonderful bright colors before him. Ortega began to grow a bit flustered, tugging on his collar. He gasped for air; an audible “guh'' coming from his mouth.

“Mnnh?” Eri turned around. She recalled her Pokémon back to her ball. She noticed Ortega looking rather stifled, so she went over and jogged up close to him.

“Ortega? You okay? You're not having heartburn from lunch, right?” Eri, as caring as ever, loomed over Ortega. His heart sure was burning, alright. His face began to boil up as red as a Charcadet. With a grunt, he used his staff to hit the ground, striking it with a dull thwack. In doing so, a fair bit of the flowers became removed from the soft green grass. His hand grabbed at them, and he stood up, still tiny compared to Eri, and held up the makeshift bouquet of multicolored flowers.

“Gosh darn it Eri, I love you!” His voice was pitched high with anxiety, anger, and infatuation. “I-I’ve been meaning to tell you this for… A-a while!” Truth be told, he couldn't give a solid answer.

“A-and I'm good at machines, nnrgh! I'm not… good at this stuff! And I'm sorry! But I mean every freaking thing I'm saying here!” His brow furrowed harder as his eyes were closed shut.

“So please…” His voice trailed off, his tempering seemingly tapering off. He took in a deep inhale, his chest puffing out. Ortega swore he could feel his blood flowing through his veins. Everything went silent. He couldn’t even hear the wind blowing around the bluffs. It was like the world was muted, leaving him to anticipate and react to the very next bit of stimulation. Suddenly then, he felt a sensation on his hand. Something warm and firm gripped his hands. It was Eri’s own. His hairs stood on end as he looked at her.

Eri's face was smiling, and despite her fierce looking face paint, it was more than obvious that there was a friendly, serene smile across her lips. She let out a coo, holding his hands tenderly.

“Ortie. You.. you really mean it?”

It was only then did Ortega realize what he'd done. He really did just now, finally confessed his love to her. He blinked and looked at her again, her head tilted in a girlish joy. The wind blew. Her long locks of hair flowed, and the rainbow petals of the flowers surrounded them both. Finally, Ortega felt his resolve rebuild and strengthen him. He smiled, slowly becoming his familiar, confident self.

“Yeah. Yeah, I do. And now that I think of it, I think I should've said this sooner.”

Eri's face was blushing, enough so that one could see it through her face paint. She giggled, and even began to laugh heartily as a whole set of petals landed on Ortega’s head.

“W-what the heck is so funny?” Ortega gasped out, before Eri pulled the petals off his head.

“You're like a Florges with all these pretty flowers around.” Eri replied.

Eri brought Ortega in her powerful, yet caring arms, and surprised Ortega with an embrace. The flower petals circled around the two of them, like nature itself was heralding a new love that had just blossomed.

I like how simple yet descriptive this story is. The dynamic between a pretty-looking boy and a taller, statuesque girl is always a treat to see ! Also, I like the use of "Ortie" as a nickname, which is the french spelling for the "nettle" plant.

This was a good read :bulbaLove:

I always love it when Pokémon (and Pokémon-adjacent) fandom writers rewrite common turns of phrase to include the fantastical creatures in question instead of standard animals ❤❤

Back
Top Bottom