• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hydaelyn’s Chosen (A FFXIV thread)

What's this? An FF14 thread?

FF14 is one of my most played games of all time and one of my favourite games ever. Shadowbringers in particular I think easily stands on its own as one of the top three best pieces of FF content across the entire franchise.

agreed there - shadowbringers is a top tier expansion; i've had SO many great memories playing with friends and doing dailies and trials and doing all sorts of shenanigans. not to mention the shadowbringers plot is absolutely great, the alliance raids are fantastic (i LOVE nier), and the ost and dungeons are absolute bangers. while endwalker is great, it hasn't topped shadowbringers and i don't know if there's really another expansion that really can. maybe dawntrail can, but that's a very high bar to cross.

*sucks in breath*

so. maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but it's the FFXIV thread, so i may as well go here.

i'm going to play the game for the first time sometime this week!! yippee?

i know pretty much NOTHING about this game other than "it's a final fantasy MMO that a lot of my friends like and you can play as one of eight races and there are characters named y'shtola and alphinaud" and also the names of a few songs and expansions. no, seriously, that's it, i am dead serious. i am here asking for advice because i trust the lovely sensible minds of you all way more than i do pretty much... anyone else on the internet lmfao.

.....and before you ask, no i do not even know which race i want to play as. lalafell and au ra are being considered. mi'qote also but, less so

*sucks in breath*

so. maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but it's the FFXIV thread, so i may as well go here.

i know pretty much NOTHING about this game other than "it's a final fantasy MMO that a lot of my friends like and you can play as one of eight races and there are characters named y'shtola and alphinaud" and also the names of a few songs and expansions. no, seriously, that's it, i am dead serious. i am here asking for advice because i trust the lovely sensible minds of you all way more than i do pretty much... anyone else on the internet lmfao.

.....and before you ask, no i do not even know which race i want to play as. lalafell and au ra are being considered. mi'qote also but, less so

ooooo WELCOME, WARRIOR OF LIGHT TO EORZEA

so, i have LOOOTS of tips for you. @Blanc and @Sheep are welcome to add as necessary.
  • the first expansion is probably going to feel really slow-going. that said, my hot take is that you should NOT rush it. soak it in, enjoy the new characters, the plot, and the brand new world you're setting in! no reason to really rush anything for the sake of rushing it. ffxiv is really story heavy and is praised as such so you're probably going to have moments where you're going to laugh, cry, be frustrated, and everything in-between. that's the plot for you.

• don't sweat about what your first job is going to be, you can always pick up a new job later on if you're not feeling you're current one. that said, please do keep up with your job quests! these quests are essential to obtaining a lot of the skills you're going to use in later levels.

• take your time and read your "tooltips" which is the messages that appear when you hover over your skills. the more you know about what your skills do and how you use them in conjunction with other skills, the WAY better off you'll be.

• when you're selecting a data centre, select the one closest to your geographical location because that's going to matter for your ping. myself and Sheep are on Aether while Blanc is on Primal. population is also something to take into consideration - dynamis is the least populated (that may change once the new expansion, dawntrail, releases), followed by crystal, then primal, then aether. you can transfer between data centres later on i believe, so this isn't a huuuge deal, but something people keep in mind if they want to play more with their friends.

• you can change character appearances through an item called a fantasia. if you really aren't happy with what you've selected appearance-wise, this is your option. you obtain one of these through the completion of the first expansion.

• please feel free to ask any questions! especially if this is your first mmo, there's a LOT of extra information that isn't even shown to you iirc at first. if you need help running dungeons and whatnot, give us a shout~

Last edited:
@guzmania i would watch these videos and see if they give a good explanation for what you're going to get into

I'm not good at giving big summaries like colours has, but I'm also available to help out and give advice and information on the game if/when needed, I too am a well experienced player :giggle:

*sucks in breath*

I'm one of the newer players (started Feb 2023) and let me tell you, this game is amazing :) I really hope you enjoy it because within just one year FFXIV has become one of my all-time favorite games, and I've only scratched the surface of what this game has to offer.

I agree with everything colours said, especially the first point, which I'll reiterate... do NOT rush the story! It WILL be tempting especially in the first expansion xD but I promise it will all come together eventually, so just enjoy the story as it comes. As cliche as it sounds, it truly is about the journey, not the destination.

Some additional advice from my own experience being a new player:

There's a LOT to do in the game... understandably so, since it's been in development for ~10 years now. But keep in mind there's absolutely no rush to do everything all at once. If you find that you keep getting distracted by, say, crafting and gathering because it's really fun, then let yourself get distracted! But if instead you start feeling overwhelmed by the overload of options, my advice is to simply focus on your main story quest and your job quest(s). Everything else you can always come back to :)

Side note to that... a lot of side content is locked by your main story quest's level, which is one of many reasons why you will see most people recommending focusing on the main story quest.

You can pretty much ignore all yellow side quests unless you're really into worldbuilding side stories. On the flipside, I recommend doing all blue side quests since those typically unlock something. (Never skip your job quests though.)

The UI/HUD is a lot more customizable than you might originally think. You can reposition just about anything you see on the screen, and drag almost everything onto your hotbars. Here is a guide on how to go about doing that. This isn't necessary of course - if the default setup works fine for you, then that's great! You'll learn if you need to make any adjustments as you play more.

This is completely personal preference, but I greatly prefer legacy (camera-based) movement over standard (standard-based, default) movement... it's hard to explain, but if you want to test out the difference, go Character Configuration (U) --> "Movement Settings" section (should be the first thing you see). Turning this setting on has made my experience 10x better lol.

Speaking of settings, take the time to tinker around with both the character settings and system settings when you can! Sometimes you'll find some useful QoL improvements hidden in there (subjectively speaking, of course).

The best way to learn this game is by playing it. There's so much to learn, so often it can be overwhelming when you watch a guide that ends up dumping way too much information that you don't necessarily need right way. You will figure out a good chunk of stuff just by playing the game. But of course, if there's something you're really stuck on, or something you're wondering about, there are tons of resources online and we're also happy to help along the way ^^

Yeah my #1 advice is to please please do your job quests!! The latest one you can do will be written in smaller font underneath the next main quest, in the top left corner. Please do it. Sometimes people don't do them and end up in dungeons without really important skills that can severely hinder a run, especially if you're playing with people and not NPCs. This is super important.

But otherwise, on quests... definitely focus on the main quests and your job quests at first. You'll notice the world is littered with a bunch of other general quests (they're the yellow exclamation mark bubbles), and these are not worth stopping for. You can complete them later if you want more lore, but they don't give enough resources/exp to justify doing and will slow you down a lot.

The game involves a lot of teleporting so don't feel bad about using aetherytes (teleport points). Some things are really far and you'll take much, much longer to get there if you try to save gil by going a slower way. Unless you're really broke, I recommend using them.

I also recommend unlocking the Hunting Log. This is a good way to get experience in your early levels, especially for new players.

welcome and choose lala <3

thank you all so much!!
i do have one question before i begin -- is there a degree of race-class compatibility in this game? i've read that it doesn't really matter which job you have as whichever race unless you're a min-maxer, but i just wanted to be 100% sure (that being said, it would stink if race had enough of a bearing on your stats to make certain jobs unviable, since you can only change your race for free once :x)

It makes absolutely no difference what race you pick. There are slight stat differences, but that's within 5 points up or down in a given stat, it's basically completely irrelevant. Just pick the race you like and don't worry about it! :giggle:

sup warriors of light

these days i'm not up to much. i'm thinking i may focus on leveling some jobs to 90. i'm focusing on warrior at the moment and after i get that to 90, then it's paladin's turn to go to 90.

i don't... really care too much about leveling my melee dps job to 90. they're at 80 already (except reaper, i haven't started that, yet), and to be honest? they're my least enjoyed jobs. i don't hate them necessarily, but they aren't really my style. i only like samurai the most out of them, and even then, i rarely play that class.

other than that... i plan on maybe clearing old savage fights with some friends for mounts and glamour. you'd be surprised how easily doable a lot of shadowbringers savage fights are with high enough ilevel. and the glamour from some of them are great. i already re-did my class glam for dawntrail i think, but if i ever did have a change of heart mid-expansion, at least i have a good enough alternate plan. i always like going for glams other people don't really wear all that often, helps to stand out more.

Last edited:
Finally completed the lanner mount collection, didn't realize I was still missing some after all these years. Slowly going to start going through and getting some of the easier mounts I've not gotten yet. rip fall guys mount though, I skipped that event

it's downloading!!
thank you guys so much for the advice <3
keeper of the moon miqo'te coming to a server near (???) you probably tomorrow considering how long this is taking to finish!! lmao but i really do look forward to this.
i'll keep you updated on how everything goes!

Awesome! Whenever you start, if you need help with anything hit me up, I'm always down for FF14 stuff. My character name is Ellie Anora :giggle:

Awesome! Whenever you start, if you need help with anything hit me up, I'm always down for FF14 stuff. My character name is Ellie Anora :giggle:
hey you didnt mention what server/world you typically play on!

unless i'm blind and i missed it, somehow

alright ffxiv friends, i have new goals in-game: i want to collect tank mounts. for those who are not familiar these are mounts that you get when you complete what the game considers "high-end duties" like 300 times.

i'm probably going to borrow a few friends and i definitely don't expect to do this in a short period of time but i hope to do this with dark knight, gunbreaker, and warrior.

Back
Top Bottom