• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[SPOILERS] Should Pryce's past and motives have been more fleshed out? How?

matt0044

Reaction score
WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ POKEMON ADVENTURES: VOLUME 14. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE READ VOLUME 14 OR THOSE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT SPOILERS, FEEL FREE TO READ ON AND REPLY. FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT THE STORY TO BE RUINED, TURN AWAY NOW! THANK YOU AND HAPPY POSTING.

--------

When Pyrce was younger, he lost two of his Lapras with their child hatching before it could see its parents. He became so hung up about it that he wanted to catch Celebi so he could set things right but in the process, somehow was driven to committing evil deeds using his ice sculptures and mind control powers, legendary Pokemon, six children he kidnapped and Team Rocket itself.

The problem is that Kusaka doesn't elaborate on Pryce's path to corruption. I personally think it'd be better if he wrote out Pryce's past and made it an bonus chapter so the readers could understand his pain and motives more. I mean, this motivation could've worked if it was explained better. Here's my idea:

Pryce was an explorer who was searching for an old mask up North (Sinnoh?) that was possessed by an evil force and gave the wearer ice-based powers. On the way, his two Lapras laid an egg and it eventually hatched but this happy occasion ended when the parents were killed by a poacher. Despite his grieve and the baby Lapras's sadness, he continued to search for the Mask of Ice and eventually found it. He then made his biggest mistake yet and put the mask on his face, giving him powers over ice but also changing him thanks to the evil force. He then devised a plan to reunite the baby Lapras with his parents, not caring who would pay the price (pun intended) for his actions.

So the evil corrupted him and caused him do all this. It may not seem much but if Kusaka thought of it, then it might've worked. Plus, it could've been elaborate more in the HGSS arc where it's shown where the mask originated (Johto or Sinnoh. The latter is more likely) and beat the mess we got before BW.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Yeah I think it'd have been nice to see more of Pryce's past but I do think the way the story was written anyway showed off enough of what happened for us to understand. By the end of the Gold and Sliver arc of Pokemon Adventures I did feel for Pryce, you could see why he'd done what he had and although I don't agree with it you can still take a bit of pity on him.

The only part of the GSC arc that disappointed me was Pryce. Sure, he had a pretty sad backstory, but how that exactly resulted in him turning into the leader of Neo Team Rocket though?

The only part of the GSC arc that disappointed me was Pryce. Sure, he had a pretty sad backstory, but how that exactly resulted in him turning into the leader of Neo Team Rocket though?

Honestly, Kusaka should've written an extra chapter or two explaining Pryce.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom