• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which is the better remake?

Which is ther better remake

• FRLG

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • HGSS

Votes: 112 81.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, I love my metronome teams, to bad so few of the gen4s can learn it :/

I'd say FRLG, partially just because Red/Blue/Green where more in need of remakes than Gold and Silver were. Looking back on RBG, while they're awesome and fun games, they were very rough. GS polished the franchise a ton. I think RBG would be unplayable to a gamer today who had never played them before, so FRLG made them modern and accessible.

I picked HGSS, mainly because there are so many new awesome features already added to the features that were in the original series. It also adds on to the original storyline a bit. Now I did like LGFR, don't get me wrong they are great remakes it's just that they mainly retold the original story with minor additions.(The islands are pretty cool though, it's just I feel that there could have been better additions to the remakes...)

FRLG for being just a regraphiced Kanto. HGSS sucks for all its changes. Just ew, changes.

I'd say that FrLg and HGSS are equal in terms of improvement upon their respective originals, but in regards to how much better they were than the previous games in the generation they belong to, HGSS is the winner, no contest.

And if I put that in a rather confusingly verbose way, let me rephrase it:
FrLg improved upon RBY exactly as much as HGSS imrpoved upon GSC, but HGSS is a lot better than DPPt, whereas the only real advancement in technology from RSE to FrLg was....*struggles to think of something* The Wireless Adapter. I mean, sure, the wireless Union Room is now an integral part of the system, but it was the only difference in technology between FrLg and RSE (although it must be mentioned that Emerald came out after FrLg and uses the Wireless Adapter). HGSS gave us the ability to use, if I remember correctly, NOTHING BUT THE TOUCH SCREEN; you don't even need to press any buttons except in a small handful of circumstances, all of which involve communication with DPPt. DPPt never had this.

And that is why HGSS gets my vote.

And now a diagram to confuse you even more, attachment'd for my convenience (I'm lazy, deal with it. :p)

FRLG for being just a regraphiced Kanto. HGSS sucks for all its changes. Just ew, changes.

Really? I found the opposite to be true.

In HeartGold SoulSilver the just added some small areas: johto safari zone, Pokeathlon, GTS, Battle Frontier, Palpark, Cerulean Cave, Viridian Forrest, weather effects, and an altered Mt. silver.

Most of these changes were either made to include standard gen 4 features (GTS, Frontier, Palpark, weather effects) or areas Gold and Silver should've had in the first place (Viridian Forrest, Cerulean Cave, Safari zone).

Frontier wasn't exactly standard, but would have been insulting to not include it.

FireRed LeafGreen added a new region and an extended story. As well as standard gen 3 features (girl player character, breeding, Battle tower)

Well, my favourite remakes are actually OR/AS, but since there are only two options, I'll go with HG/SS, as FR/LG still lack the physical/special split, have no in-game time, and HG/SS have more content in general. I still do like FR/LG better than the Let's Go games and BD/SP, though.

Since this thread's hella old I'm adding the other remakes into things and listing my opinion from best to worst.

1. HGSS
2. ORAS
3. FRLG
4. pause for comedic effect
5. Let's Go P/E, BDSP.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver added a lot of nice things and didn't feel like we lost much from the third version (Crystal). Though I haven't touched Crystal in ages so I don't even remember it very well. But I never see people mention missing things like they do for other remakes. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are great because they made me love games that originally made me lose interest in the series for a while (until HGSS came out). I don't care that the Battle whatever isn't in it. I hate that gameplay anyways because it's not fun to me so its non-inclusion doesn't bother me at all. Fire Red and Leaf Green are great too. I liked the addition of the Sevii Islands. I don't care if they were just there to add features from gen 2 and 3 into Kanto without altering Kanto at all. It was still nice to have new things to explore and made Kanto less boring.

Let's Go P/E are technically remakes so I included them. But Let's Go gameplay sucks. Also everyone looks like toddlers. BDSP... ugh. The moment I saw that every character is a fetus in the overworld I lost interest immediately. You messed up big time if you're making me pine for the toddler character designs of Let's Go. The comments I heard about the game afterwards didn't give me much interest in playing it either. Luckily I had legends arceus. But I had really hoped for a game that would make me love Sinnoh like ORAS did for Hoenn.

Here's hoping they don't muck up Black and White and they also remember that Black 2 White 2 exist! Knocks on all of the wood, throws salt over my shoulder and does other luck rituals.

Between the two in the poll, HGSS is my favorite. Following Pokemon, the pokeathlon, the Crystal storyline being the side plot, etc. there's just so much to do for me that it's my most replayed Pokemon games with Platinum not too far behind. FRLG is not too bad either though, the Sevii Islands are a nice addition for post-game content, plus the Legendary Beasts being added and able to be caught is another plus, at least for me.

HG/SS obviously. The only thing about LG/FR that I thought was better than HG/SS was the addition of the Sevii Islands.

HGSS. Everyone is praising the addition of the Sevii islands but they're really not great. It was also lame you couldn't access gen 2 and gen 3 Pokemon until the post-game and frankly I found the post-game boring. We hould have had access to pre-evolution and evolution gen 2 and 3 Pokemon that were tied to gen 1 during the main game. Also I know it was inherited from the gen 3 main games but getting rid of day and night cycles was shameful.

HGSS builds on the already great gen 2 games. Now we can catch Metwo, one of the RS Legendaries, the Kanto birds, and receive a Kanto and Hoen starter. Gen 2 already had the best post-game and the remakes made it better.

Back
Top Bottom