• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash use reserves in the Sinnoh League ?

Should Ash use reserves in the Sinnoh League ?

• I'm all for it, it's the best news i've heard all year

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • As long as he only uses his Sinnoh pokemon against Paul, I'm ok with him bringing in reserves

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • The only reserve he shoud call upon is Gliscor

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I'm indifferent, doesn't affect me one way or the other...

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • It's a slap in the face for his Sinnoh pokemon, he should only use them.

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Hellion

Child of the Atom
Reaction score
Given the last frames of the new openning, it seems Ash will use reserves in the League in the form of Johto starters, Noctowl, Snorlax, Muk, Corphish and Torkoal. What do you think about it ?

Personnaly, I liked what he did in Hoenn when he just used is Hoenn pokemon because that meant he trusted them to handle anything and even though they lost in the quarterfinals, they all had their time to shine at the league and all proved they were able battlers... I was hoping ash would do the same in Sinnoh, but now I'm confused... What's the point of having evolved Infernape and Torterra if you're gonna use Cyndquil, Torkoal and Bayleaf... Staraptor being replaced by Noctowl... IDK, it seems that it would just be a slap in the face of the Sinnoh pokes...

Then again, I liked the Johto starters (except Bayleaf) and Noctowl and always felt they were underused and mishandled by the writers... I would love to see Totodile comeback and evolve to croconaw, or Noctowl comeback with new moves like sky attack and zen headbutt. Plus Muk and Snorlax are always funny...

So I'm ambivalent but leaning more towards that he should, at the very least, use an all Sinnoh team for an eventual battle vs Paul, but might be okay if he used certain reserves (Toto, cyndaquil, noctowl, MUK, Snorlax)

Last edited:
Sinnoh's the same as in Hoenn, where Ash had a fresh start, for the most part. He hasn't been using reserves at all for the gyms, so why would he all of a sudden go and use them in the League. Doesn't make sense to me. The pokemon in the opening are just to remind us they're still there, and they aren't all there just cause fitting them all would be cluttered.

Yeah.. I doubt he will use them.. Of course, I do like to see them to reappear too.. Unless he challenges the Battle Frontier, I don't think he will use them though..

I would agree he should just use his Sinnoh Team, it would be unlike Ash and I can only see one situation (which I'll explain later) where Ash would use his Oaked Pokemon (reserves).

However now that Conway is apparently going to be a rival against Ash in the league, I would be more than welcome if Ash used six reserves against him, because I do see how boring it would be if Ash used his six current Pokemon for four battles (unless some of them aren't full battles).

Now the only situation that I could see Ash using his reserves if his opponent made a request for Ash to use his older Pokemon. Maybe have Ash's opponent followed his work in the other leagues, and have Ash's opponent think that by choosing six random Pokemon, Ash would lose, but then Ash demolishes him instead.

That's really the only way I see it happening. With the obvious exclusion of a Kingler moment where Ash has no choice but to his reserves.

Hopefully Gliscor comes back for the Sinnoh League because it could get boring with just Ash's current six Pokemon all through the league.

I don't think some of his old Pokemon would've been in the final shot unless he was going to use them. I'm ok with this as long as the following happen.

1. He uses Shinou only to defeat Shinji.

2. He wins the whole thing. Using reserves just to only make the top 4 or whatever is just lame.

I mean he'll probably use his Sinnoh only team against Paul, but with Conway, Barry, and Nando in the League...do you know how boring it would be to see the exact same Pokemon in 4 6 on 6 battles?

I don't care just as long as I see Muk win the match by sitting on someone again. Just for nostalgia's sake. If I get nostalgic, I won't mind either way.

I needs to use Muk against Conway XD Seeing his thought-out strategy fail against Muk's glomp attack would be hilarious. I think Muk would be considered weird even by Conway's standards. I'm not too bothered about him using his Sinnoh-only Pokemon, the Johto Pokemon had to share their league too, so this should make up for it. Torkoal and Corphish are two of my favourite Pokemon so I'm really stoked to see their battles. It feels like Sinnoh has gone on way too long, so I'm pretty sick of seeing Buizel and Pikachu's battles, should be a nice change of pace.

Who's to say he'll battle all 4 of them... I mean the openning also shows Dawn's five rivals, that doesn't mean that she'll have a contest battle against those 5 in the GF... I could see Ash defeating Conway in is first battle, then beat Nando in the quarterfinals while Barry and Paul are battling also in the quaterfinals, then it's a Ash v Paul showdown in the semis and Ash makes it to the finals... especially given the fact that Ash and Barry have a lot of similar pokemon...

I also think that the "It would be boring to see the same 6 pokemon for 3-4 battles" argument doesn't make sense... In each battle, there's always some of Ash's pokemon that are canon fodder and some that are the stars of the battle... They woud each get their chance to shine at the league... That doesn't really sound boring to me...

I voted for "As long as he uses his Sinnoh Pokemon against Paul, I'm ok with Ash bringing in reserves." Personally, I can see Ash use some of his reserves against everyone else, and it would a good way to throw Paul off his game as well since he would probably be expecting his Sinnoh Pokemon as well, and seeing his old team would make him rethink what Pokemon Paul would be using in their fight.

I needs to use Muk against Conway XD Seeing his thought-out strategy fail against Muk's glomp attack would be hilarious.

That would be great. So great, in fact, I've sig'd that.

Who's to say he'll battle all 4 of them... I mean the openning also shows Dawn's five rivals, that doesn't mean that she'll have a contest battle against those 5 in the GF... I could see Ash defeating Conway in is first battle, then beat Nando in the quarterfinals while Barry and Paul are battling also in the quaterfinals, then it's a Ash v Paul showdown in the semis and Ash makes it to the finals... especially given the fact that Ash and Barry have a lot of similar pokemon...

I'm not sure I see the point in Ash facing 4 people in the opening if he's not going to battle him, especially since Barry and Paul are his main rivals.

Likewise with Dawn, I don't see the point in having Ursula, Jesselina, Nando, Kenny, and Zoey appearing in her rival section if she's not going to battle them.

Yes definitely, but for the main events (ex. Ash vs Paul) he use his current team since I think that this is Ash's strongest team yet. I'm also excited to see Muk, Snorlax, Noctowl, Glalie and Donphan since they are one of my favorite Pokemon.

He will probably battle against Conway, Nando, Barry and Paul in this order;

Ash Vs Conway in the first round in the victory rounds or in the qualifying rounds
Ash Vs Nando or Barry in the second round in the victory rounds
Ash Vs Barry or Nando in the third round in the victory rounds
Ash Vs Paul in the fourth round in the victory rounds
Then he loses in the top 4 instead of top 8

Last edited:
If he only uses his Sinnoh guys against Paul, I don't see the harm. Except for Snorlax (and Corphish, to a certain extent), every last one of those guys shown in the new opening are in some serious need of more usage. Though having said that, I wouldn't want the Sinnohs to be completely upstaged in favour of the oldies in matches prior. I know this is asking an awful lot for this show, but privoding they do pull out the reserve pokes, a little balance would be nice.

Only if the Kanto starters and Sceptile are used.
Sceptile I understand, but really? Those three again?

Sceptile I understand, but really? Those three again?

Not to steal spotlight or anything, (keep them out of the Paul battle, please), but if Ash is really going to win the league this time, they deserve to be a part of it.

I'm kinda hoping if he does use his oldies, every single one of them get to come back for a battle, including Gliscor, as it would have a nice "this is an example of Ash's growth as a trainer," feeling to it if every single capture got to come back.

I wouldn't be too concerned if Ash brought out the Pokemon he Oak'ed and/or Gliscor, but it would be nice if he did.

Not to steal spotlight or anything, (keep them out of the Paul battle, please), but if Ash is really going to win the league this time, they deserve to be a part of it.

I'm kinda hoping if he does use his oldies, every single one of them get to come back for a battle, including Gliscor, as it would have a nice "this is an example of Ash's growth as a trainer," feeling to it if every single capture got to come back.

They were part of him winning the Orange League and the Battle Frontier, they've been a part of too much as it is... really, there's nothing in the openning to say that he will bring back the Kanto starters, Sceptile or Swellow, so Scott, please stop trying to turn this into a kanto worshipping thread

We should only discuss the pokemon in the openning since they're the only ones the writers hinted might come back.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom