• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Rotom = Glotom (Glo from Glow since it's a lightbulb)
Mow Rotom = Motom (Mo from Mow, obvious)
Frost Rotom = Frotom (Fro from Frozen)
Fan Rotom = Blotom (Blo from Blow, since it's a fan which blows things)

Still need names for Heat and Wash Rotoms that follow this pattern of beginning with a syllable that rhymes with "Row" and has to do with that form.

Also catching and naming each of the special Pikachu from Yellow Forest:

Surf Pikachu = Pikablu
Fly Pikachu = Pikafloon
Flail Pikachu = Flailkachu or Failkachu
Volt Tackle Pikachu = Pikashit

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

I tend to wait to nickname my team members until I've been using them for a while, but of the ones that have nicknames...

Kricketune - Woggle, since when it was a Kricketot it reminded me of the Woggle-bug.
Bibarel - Stonewall; it's proven to be really solid in battle defensively (a 31 IV in Defense, which I didn't know about at the time I nicknamed her, probably plays into that).
Zubat - Ka, but I can't remember exactly why I picked this name. I think it was a reference to the snake from The Jungle Book, but why I'd name a bat after a snake... guess it was just intuition.
Prinplup - Pip-pip as per the standard "pick a nickname in that Pokémon's speech pattern" gimmick. Probably would've chosen something else if I was to do things over.

Ham'ra the Vulpix - Ham'ra is the female version of "Red" in Arabic
Ahkdar the Chikorita - Ahkdra is the male version of "Green" in Arabic
Asfar the Mareep - Asfar is the male version of "Yellow" in Arabic
Asmarun the Eevee - Asmarun is an alternate male version of "Brown" in Arabic
Zarka the Dratini - Zarka is the female version of "Blue" in Arabic
Sawda the Larvitar - Sawda is the female version of "Black" in Arabic

Glameow: Catty
Misdreavus: Miss
Shellos: Lil fella
Finneon: Fishi
Kirlia: Lala
Leafeon: Leevee

Vaporern: Amazonio - Masculine adaptation of Amazonia, the region surrounding the Amazon River.
Jolteon: Tesla - after Nikola Tesla
Flareon: Kelvin - after the Kelvin temperature scale
Espeon: Dumbledalf - Dumbledore and Gandalf.
Leafeon: Chlorophyl - photosynthetic pigment that makes plants green
Glaceon: Antarctico - Masculine adaptation of Antarctica, which itself is a latinization of Antarktikos, which is a greek word for "opposite of north."

If i get an Umbreon... I'll probably name him Sarumort, or something along those lines.

I did something I usually don't do and nicknamed my starter; she's a female Cyndiquil, and I gave her the name Cindy

Espeon:Shiniji
Gallade:Nobu
Poliwhirl:Whril-whip
Ursaring:Yoga
Charmander:Char-o
Torchic:Flocka

its a bit of a stretch, as i don't have alot of these mons with me at this point, but when i make my wifi team, this is what i will name them

i will breed them using pokemon from my teams in either SS or Diomond, and their names will be derivied from them

Tuchanka-Nidoking- my nidoking right now is named Tuchika, i got that from ME2, Tuchanka is a planet in ME2, and sounds like Tuchika
Mozzilla-Ninetales- My ninetales now is named Mozzy, both are from Mozzilla Firefox
Guts-Machamp- well, my machamp didn't have a nickname, as i got it from a freind, but guts was it's ability
Stab-Rhyperior- My Rhyperior is named Spike, you stab using spiky things
Fry-Jolteon or Vaporeon- My umbreon's name is Brannigan, fry is in the same show i got Brannigan from
Billy/Mandy-Tyranitar- Same as above, Billy if it's male, Mady if Female

i choose nicknames depending on their info in the pokedex:

pidgey-peace *pidgey prefer not to fight,therefore makes peace :)*
hoppip-breeze *something about wind?i cant remember...*
farfetchd-fury *well,let's see.THEY LOOK REALLY ANGRY ALL THE TIME!!!*
red gyarados-red *........yeah :/*

Typloshion - Orion (Named after the giant huntsman of Greek mythology)
Gyarados - Shenlong (Named after the dragon from the manga Dragon Ball)
Pellefant - Hypno (Just some random shit)
Flora - Vilplume ('Cause it's a flower/grass poké)
I also newly caught a Gengar, but I don't yet know what I'm gonna call it.
Long ago when I first started playing pokémon (I started out with Yellow, or something like that) I usually never named my pokémons anything.
But now I nearly always do! :XD2:

Slowking - Torpido, a play on the word torpedo, and torpid means slow/sluggish xD For a water type that packs a punch.

Right now for HG, I'm naming them all after cities and towns. For some reason, there's a slight bias for naming them after cities and towns in my home state, California. X_X

pontya/rapidash - Epona
Infernape - Son Goku
Ninetales - Naruto
Ditto - Parasite X
Dragonite - Elliot
Stantler - Chopper
Treeko - Geico
Mudkip - mudkipz
Nuzleaf - Buu
Wailord - Monstro
Kecleon - Espio
Salamence - Glaurung
Lopuny - Ms. September
Spiritomb - Legion
Heatran - Omega
Arceus - God

Last edited:

Gosh, I'm very clever with names! [maybe it's all the Romance novels I read; crazy named protagonists]

female Treeko = Wisteria [<- it's a tree with purple flowers]
female Delcatty = Delilah
female Sableye = Iris [my most clever]
male Altaria = Zephyr
male Numel = Vesuvius

I name my Pokemon after how delicious I think they would taste. It lets them know that failure is met with death.

Typhlosion: Fiendfyre - because I just finished writing a chapter for a Harry Potter fanfic of mine before I bought the game.
Charizard: Boomstick - have to save an awesome name for my favourite Pokémon.
Gyarados: Dreadnaut - goes without saying.
Tyranitar: Tyrannus - I'm a fan of both the Star Wars movies and Christopher Lee.

Those are the members of my team that I actually named.

lucky-abra i found 1 that knows a few kadabra skills
speedy-beaucse i like fast scythers

that in-game porygon I nicknamed blebleble, a charlie the unicorn feferense
magikarp, used to weak regigigas, n00b
empoleon-bubble
rotom-yellow pik
mew from blue-white pik
if I ever meet a wild random shiny I'll nickname it MADNESS! for sure

Clever Pokemon nicknames

Have you ever been really thrilled when you come up with the perfect name for your Pokemon? Here's a few I'm particularly pleased with...

Felicity (female Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos)
A girl's name which also sounds like a cross between "fleece" and "electricity".

Aquattack
Combination of "aqua" and "attack". Would probably suit just about any Water-type; I used it for my Azumarill!

Ninsect (Nincada/Ninjask/Shedinja)
Combination of "ninja" and "insect".

Post all your favourite Pokemon nicknames here!

Re: Clever Pokemon nicknames

I actually hadn't nicknamed any of my pokemon since the original silver, but then I saw an article on Kotaku about it, which pretty much just shamed me into doing it. Here are some of them.

Don Birdi: My shiny Murkrow/Honchcrow, because he is a legitimate businessman.

∏phlosion: Not really. It's Piphlosion, but a boy can dream.

Katrini: My Dragonite, from when she was a Dratini. I named her this because I am a horrible person.

Sheeple: My Ampharos, because you're all a bunch of phonies.

JudySebben: My female Pidgeot. I won't explain it, but the people who get it should really appreciate it.

Lion-OU: Raikou. Cause he's a mutherfuckin' Thundercat.

Hyneman: Entei, because LOOK AT HIM.

AdamSavage: Suicune, because they come as a set.

A'Tuin: My Torterra, after the turtle from Discworld.

Oy: A random Zigzagoon, from the Dark Tower books.

Tycho: My PC.

Gabe: The rival.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom