• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

3-d pokemon

MegaMan Star Force is a prime example of why 3D models would be a bad idea.

3D Environments: Good
3D models: Bad

Only problem. If you see gen V, the sprites look awful and out of place with the rest of the world.
The main complaints about the last games by reviewers, were that the battle system was old and outdated. Same with the graphics and sound.
If pokemon did become 3d, then I would want it to look better then PBR. If they used new models, they can do it, but if they keep using the n64 models (Like in HGSS for cutscenes and the title screen), then it would not be good. And it would SUCK if they used the wiiware models. Or they could make it like that pokemon arcade game, where it is all cel shaded.

I really was convinced that the 3DS power could create some stunning visuals.

Do I want Pokemon in 3D? Depends, as was always the case.

I want them to retire the current models. I don't want my Charizard fainting in the same fashion it has been for the past 10 years. If they go 3D, they need to go all the way, from the ground up. If that takes them another 3-5 years, so be it.

The only other option would be to create stylistic sprites for each 600+ Pokemon, in the way that many beautiful 2D games do. However, that takes a lot more time and money -- more than a jump to 3D would take (and certainly even harder if they just reused the same 3D models as before).

At the end of the day, I'm still selecting my attack to have my virtual Pokemon throw a shower of sparks and neat effects at another virtual Pokemon opposite from mine on the screen. So what kind of visuals get used won't affect me all that much. I'll I hope is that they get implemented smartly and effectively.

Well, I thought a portable Wii would be a dream come true for Nintendo fans. The ability to play Wii quality games on the go appears to be a good deal. Do you agree?
i'm not a BIG nintendo fan. actually, i'm not a fan to any game system really. if there are good games on the system, that's what i want. i'll play anything from microsoft, sony, nintendo AND third party companies. it's not necessarily the company that makes me like a system, it's the games. personally, i don't think the wii has alot of good games. but that's my opinion.
If your not interested in a 3 dimensional game, do not buy. However, just like movies, they should make a 3-D AND a 2-D version to fit people who dont like 3-D as well as people who do. I think it is still going to sell to people who hate 3-D games, just because of the new pokemon. I would prefer 2-D over 3-D.
this. i actually hate the fact that so many movies are in 3d now because that's like giving movie companies the right of not making any kind of story at all and just focusing on the cool cgi. we're not up to that point yet, but i know it'll happen soon.

Unfortunately, for those who appose the idea of a 3D Pokemon game. The chances are higher now with the 3DS. GF could design Gen. VI, where the overworld is in 3D and the Pokemon battles remain 2D.

EDIT: Megaman Starforce are DS games, we're talking about Pokemon main series games on the 3DS, well at least now.
i think the main series games are going to be in 2d sprites and all for a while. the graphics on the 3ds just don't look that good to me. it's impressive for a handheld, but it could use some work.

Only problem. If you see gen V, the sprites look awful and out of place with the rest of the world.
The main complaints about the last games by reviewers, were that the battle system was old and outdated. Same with the graphics and sound.
If pokemon did become 3d, then I would want it to look better then PBR. If they used new models, they can do it, but if they keep using the n64 models (Like in HGSS for cutscenes and the title screen), then it would not be good. And it would SUCK if they used the wiiware models. Or they could make it like that pokemon arcade game, where it is all cel shaded.

not really. i like the 2.5d. it adds a certain flair for me. the battle system is already fixed, thanks to the new moving camera and animated sprites. graphics aren't everything. if they can't be perfect, there's no reason to try and fail.

Last edited:
If no one mentioned it yet, there was a good angle of a 3-D like appearance on the roof of the Celedon Hotel in HG/SS. It's looking directly at the player, as opposed to over him/her. The 3-D sprites hasn't been done good yet as far as Pokemon goes, but it's still possible to improve.

Honestly, was Colleseum/XD that bad as far as graphics go? Far from stunning, but more than tolerable. If Nintendo used that layout for hand held games in Gen VI, I really don't think I would mind. =/

To be honest, I'd rather a more beautifully detailed 2D Pokemon world (with some 3D effects here and there) than a 3D world that would most likely turn out being sub par.

If no one mentioned it yet, there was a good angle of a 3-D like appearance on the roof of the Celedon Hotel in HG/SS. It's looking directly at the player, as opposed to over him/her. The 3-D sprites hasn't been done good yet as far as Pokemon goes, but it's still possible to improve.
The scenery was nice, but its awful when used beside the 2D sprite, especially when the character looks like he's floating.

I'm stronglt opposed to ANY 3D (as in the graphics, not depth).
So far, Pokemon has had a bad history with it; the Stadium, Collesium and Battle Revolution games look like absolute shit.

So, no thanks, I'll keep my 2-D sprites.

If it was cel shaded and looked like this
, I'd reconsider.

But chances are it won't.

Cel-shading could work for Pokemon. I don't know if I think a 3-D rendered game would necessarily look like crap at this point, though... on the DS, it most definitely would. The DS could've accomodated a Stadium-esque game, with similar visuals... but the 3DS improves vastly on that. It can render detail on its portable screen closer to what the Gamecube usually managed to look like, and thanks to the small screen it seems to manage a crisper look most of the time, as well. I think a 3-D rendered Pokemon game on the 3DS would actually look quite good, though I doubt they'll make one.

Last edited:
I mean a 3D overworld. Keep battles how they are. I jsut wanted Pokemon that moved and I got it.

Cel-shading could work for Pokemon. I don't know if I think a 3-D rendered game would neessarily look like crap at this point, though... on the DS, it most definitely would. The DS could've accomodated a Stadium-esque game, with similar visuals... but the 3DS improves vastly on that. It can render detail on its portable screen closer to what the Gamecube usually managed to look like, and thanks to the small screen it seems to manage a crisper look most of the time, as well. I think a 3-D rendered Pokemon game on the 3DS would actually look quite good, though I doubt they'll make one.

Pokemon look like shit without the cel-shading.

Cel-Shading make it look like anime; pure 3D look like a unrealistic model with no texture, and Pokemon have never been given texture details, just as scale or fur (in most cases)

If it's gotta be 3D it needs to be cel-shaded, otherwise, it can gtfo.

That's a fine opinion, but ultimately I imagine GF will do as they please.

They may want to avoid cel shading specifically to avoid comparisons to the anime, as those two aspects of the franchise have always been notably different. However, GF have yet to make a single 3-D Pokemon title, so it's a moot point for now. At this point who even knows if they have the resources or staff to go about creating a 3-D game... they may need to hire new talent in order to do so.

My main issues with previous console entries haven't been the graphics so much as the companies making them. The graphics were, for the most part, tolerable. Stadium I/II were quite popular in their day, and while I didn't care for the seperation of the storage system into a seperate title on the Gamecube, its games offered something new as well. The Wii has had the weakest Pokemon offerings to date, and it continues to dissapoint with stuff like PokePark Wii, etc. I'd rather play the N64 games (even Snap) than any of those on the Wii.

To be honest, I'd rather a more beautifully detailed 2D Pokemon world (with some 3D effects here and there) than a 3D world that would most likely turn out being sub par.

exactly. this is what i believed. hell, i wouldn't totally mind if it was closer to emeralds visuals, but even more beautiful. or just hgss, which looked really nice

HGSS was 3D though.

See, a 3D overworld and 2D battles would work perfectly. You can still keep the character models the same height and shape, it just looks aesthetically better.

I'm stronglt opposed to ANY 3D (as in the graphics, not depth).
So far, Pokemon has had a bad history with it; the Stadium, Collesium and Battle Revolution games look like absolute shit.

So, no thanks, I'll keep my 2-D sprites.

If it was cel shaded and looked like this
, I'd reconsider.

But chances are it won't.

Haha, pokémon in pokémon Colosseum, XD and PBR look way better than thát.

Pokemon has a cartoony art style, which the 3D graphics they've been using in the past didn't do them justice. If I recall, they made Typhlosion's flames look like something out of a pop-up book, but that's not really the point. The humans themselves look terrible in PBR's sprites. They shouldn't try to go towards realism and stick with cell shading 3D.

They're the same damn models.

Seriously, look at Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu in SSBB for the ideal 3D graphics. Custom work and care and love put into every polygon.

When we can reach that point, then I'll be happy.

Judging from that video, they look the same, with the EXACT same animations as in 1998/99 (Stadium). They just added cel shading, to make it look more cartoony.

Compare this with PBR, Colo, and Battrio. On PBR and Colo, it looks almost the same (except without the visible scanlines). Same with the Battrio gameplay vid, the models are rendered with cel shading.

What they need to do is DITCH THEM. That's right, ditch the same models from 1998 (Stadium), 2000 (Stadium 2/GS) 2003 (Colo), 2005 (early gen IV models, from XD), and 2007 (PBR) and replace them with new models. It shouldn't be too hard, as after all, all 3 systems (3ds, arcade, and wii) can probably handle them.

"Models" (over sprites) or "3d movie" 3d?

Models over sprites is because the sprites have lost their charms (look at the HGSS, at least half of them have SERIOUSLY messed up shading)

Since Pokemon is slowly becoming more and more 2.5D, models might be considered in the future, but I don't see it for Generation 5. I'd say models would be introduced in Generation 6 at the soonest. But hey, they might spring that on us in the third game.

Would I want models? Nah. I don't know for sure, but I think 500+ models would take far too much memory and be ultimately pointless in a primarily sprited (or sprite-esque) game. It would just look shoved in there. If Generation 6 or the third game decides to turn it 3D and the hardware can take it without looking stupid, I'd say they can go for it, but that would probably ruin the franchise FOREVER for many fans.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom