• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeParents

Ultra Pidgeot

good cyberdaddy
Reaction score
So I started my mom on Emerald this evening as she said she wanted to try Pokemon (And I'm trying to get her to like Pokemon so she'll buy Black when it comes out so I can get the version exclusives). I checked on her progress and found her getting stuck in the Pokemon menu during a battle. She killed the Wurmple she was fighting and then I saw she'd nicknamed her Torchic "Bunchick" because it looked like a bunny and a chicken. I left her alone and checked back and she'd turned it off without saving because it would have overwritten someone else's game. *sigh* This is going to be difficult...anybody else have anything interesting happen when their parents tried to play Pokemon?

"Get off that stupid game and play with your cousins!"

I wish my parents were as cool as yours.

oh, my mom will buy the game alright...but then she'll never open it >.< she says she "collects" them >| she even still has a copy of pokemon Silver in the box and plastic, mint condition D:! While my copy of Gold (and bros silver) are generally "loved" lol

My mum oplayed my HG & caught me ENtai! :D she is good at pokemon but i dunno if she will get me black & white

Omg my mum's the best when it comes to playing Pokemon. She's helped me level up my pokemon since the good ol' days of Gen I. Sometimes, I would wake up some mornings and I would turn my Game Boy on and get a lovely surprise(one time in particular, I woke up to find my Dodrio on Pokemon Yellow at level 100, and man, that made my day for sure)

She also got my Typhlosion and Umbreon to lv 100 in SS. She's familiar with most of the original pokemon too.

Haha I think she's probably gonna like it when I buy Pokemon Black :D

When I think about it, basically every family member of mine(mainly cousins) exposed to Pokemon are fans. My family's so awesome heheh...

Back when I had Yellow, my dad picked it up to play once. He captured a Nidoran, named him Stinky. I was kind of mad at first (This was my first playthrough on it, mind you, so I didn't know about Brock's fighting-type weakness or anything like that), but then I started using him and Stinky the Surfing Nidoking became a permanent member of my party.

My parents are clueless. I one let them try, and my Torterra (100) lost to a Bidoof. XD

Well, is an old mom allowed to comment?

Neither of my kids can read yet (my oldest is four) but I can't wait to teach her how to play. I'm planning on teaching her as soon as she starts... I figure it'll be a good way to help encourage her to learn to read!

Now, I once tried to get my mom (then 50!) to play. She did pretty well... she managed to actually beat the first gym! Then turned it off without saving. I never could get her to try again after that. Ah well.

Never tried to get parents to play, nor have they wanted to. They are more like "Aren't you too old for that kind of stuff?"

If only they knew the mechanics of it all XD

Good God...this is difficult. She named her Wingull "PISSYWISSY" and constantly freaks out.

"WHAT?!?!? I just killed his Wurmple! How's he sending out another one?"

This is definitely going to be a challenge. Oh well.

^
epic lulz.

anyway, my mom doesnt play the game, she watches the anime.

i tried to get my mom to play i was showing her pokemon this is what we said "is that pikachu" "no mom thats bulbasaur" "oh then thats pikachu" "no thats the eleven foot tall groundon" "oh that has to be pikachu" "nope thats an areodactyl" then when i showed her pikachu she says "how am i supposed to know what that is" it was a long day

i tried to get my mom to play i was showing her pokemon this is what we said "is that pikachu" "no mom thats bulbasaur" "oh then thats pikachu" "no thats the eleven foot tall groundon" "oh that has to be pikachu" "nope thats an areodactyl" then when i showed her pikachu she says "how am i supposed to know what that is" it was a long day

Hahaha!

My mum generally enjoys the anime. She doesn't care too much for the portables, but liked Stadium/2 back in the day. Kinda why I feel resentment over PBR, lack of real rental system. She doesn't want to play unless she can choose from all ~500

EDIT:
My mum does collect the Jakks plush when they are available here aswell.

Last edited:
Yesterday I watched Giratina and the Sky Warrior with my parents. It was awesome. I'm gonna get them to try the game... RIGHT NOW! I'll be back soon!

I can't believe I forgot: Back when the N64 was still new, my mom played Stadium. Mostly the minigames, but sometimes she would watch me battle.

Now, one of her favorite Pokemon is Gengar because of its stadium idle animation. For those who aren't familiar with it, Gengar's idle animation had it sticking its tongue out at the opponent. She promptly declared it her favorite and thinks that the :p Gengar should return.

She also likes shadowblob Giratina.

My mom loves the coin flip on hg. She also won the elite four by spamming outrage.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom