• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is cloning wrong?

Princess of Lumas

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Is it?

I don't think so. The game programmers should have realized this loophole and fixed it before they released the game. As a result, since it's part of the game, it's no hack.

Well, this is sort of a moral grey area.

If you're planning on using these clones in a WiFi battle then probably not, because it's really an unfair advantage.

If you're planning on trading these clones, and TELLING the people you're trading with they're clones, then that's okay I think because they know that they're clones.

If you're cloning purely for ease of in-game play, that's okay; who are we to tell someone how to play their game?

I have no problems with cloning, regardless of whether it's done by glitches or cheating devices. I don't see it as hacking in any way.

I actually liked the fact cloning is possible in Pokemon games, because there are times when I want more items that are rare to get, or evolving a split-evo Pokemon so I don't have to breed, especially the former, and especially Rare Candies and Master Balls.

If you're planning on using these clones in a WiFi battle then probably not, because it's really an unfair advantage.
How is cloning an unfair advantage? I mean, they are just clones, not hyper-powered hacked pokemon.

I dunno... I mean I won't clone any of my own Pokémon, but I don't mind trading for clones of rare Pokémon. It's kinda like a chicken/egg thing for me.

I don't like the idea of cloning, therefore don't clone.

How is cloning an unfair advantage? I mean, they are just clones, not hyper-powered hacked pokemon.

Let's say you have 6 different people making the Pokemon, they spend hours on getting them perfect, then they make 5 clones and trade whit each other, thus (theoretically) only using 1/6 of the time they would have used if they made all the Pokemon themselves.

There's your unfair advantage.

That said I think cloning is a-OK, but keep in mind that it's technically not legit.

I only use cloning for two purposes: to be able to keep my Pal Parked Pokemon in my Gen III games, and to clone event Pokemon for those who aren't able to get one themselves. The first case I don't think is wrong because Gen III and IV can't interact in any other way than Pal Parking; so it's not duplicating a useful Pokemon that can be used against the same series of games. The second case, I like to do because I know what it's like, living in Canada and not being able to get any of the pre-Gen IV events due to being a teenager and and not being able to just go down to the US whenever I felt like it).

i don't clone myself but i don't see a problem with it - although it bugs me a bit when cheapskates want me to spend 4 hours RNGing a pokemon for them to trade for 1 TM... i mean seriously if you've cloned them be more liberal giving them out dudes!

kind of on topic here - am i the only one irritated by that "no-redistribution" crap??? if you don't want a pokemon to be cloned & traded to others then DON'T TRADE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! dude when i trade someone a pokemon they can do whatever the hell they want with it

/semi-rant

Let's say you have 6 different people making the Pokemon, they spend hours on getting them perfect, then they make 5 clones and trade whit each other, thus (theoretically) only using 1/6 of the time they would have used if they made all the Pokemon themselves.

There's your unfair advantage.

That said I think cloning is a-OK, but keep in mind that it's technically not legit.

That is a non issue due to RNG abuse. Assuming you are willing to RNG abuse all your Pokemon, none of them will take you particularly long to make. Even if your opponent is using nothing but redis clones and has never put any effort into the game, you are still on level ground since you can breed flawless Pokemon at will.

Although people like me who breed without RNG abuse can be at a disadvantage since the time it takes to complete a project is extremely erratic and luck based, I still don't see that as a reason cloning is inappropriate.

kind of on topic here - am i the only one irritated by that "no-redistribution" crap??? if you don't want a pokemon to be cloned & traded to others then DON'T TRADE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! dude when i trade someone a pokemon they can do whatever the hell they want with it

/semi-rant

I'm not irritated with the concept. I can understand that people want their Pokemon to still have trade value down the road since fully redis Pokemon spread like wildfire. What can be ridiculous at times is people's expectations that their requests to not redistribute the Pokemon will be fully heeded by the entire internet.

I'm not irritated with the concept. I can understand that people want their Pokemon to still have trade value down the road since fully redis Pokemon spread like wildfire. What can be ridiculous at times is people's expectations that their requests to not redistribute the Pokemon will be fully heeded by the entire internet.

as soon as they trade it they've devalued the pokemon anyway - imo they're being greedy & should either keep them to themselves or trade it with the expectation that it will be redistributed to everyone - not just their clique

I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I think cloning and RNG abuse are as wrong and illegitimate as something made with Pokesav. Yes, cloning is in the game without the use of a cheating device, but that does not make it right. Cloning rare event legends and shinies misses the point of their existence. They were made to be rare, but when everyone has the ability to spread them faster than insert-contagious-disease-here, they have about as much of a point as a blunt pencil. I get kind of sad that if it weren't for cloning I'd have some pretty big bragging rights, but because nobody notices that all of my shinies were either random or chained and all of my events are legit, I look about as lucky as any random hacker.

I'm also completely agreeing with cloning and RNGing cutting the work load by a lot. I breed and train my Pokémon. It takes a long time, but I feel like I've accomplished something. I'll never get that from cheating. I never even used the Mew glitch. :/

As far as I'm concerned everything that is IN-GAME is FAIR GAME. Even if the developers didn't want to put those kind of things there, it's still in-game and you're not using any external device to hack the game. Also I wonder how much of a "mistake" the cloning glitches and Missingno are...

Also I congratulate everybody that clones event Pokémon and trade them. Event Pokémon is a form of discrimination, what makes some countries better than other to get special Pokémon (sometimes the only way to get that species of Pokémon). As far as I know where I live it's impossible to get legit Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Arceus and all that crap without trading. To get things like Ho-oh, Lugia (both in III gen), Jirachi, Manaphy, Phione, etc.. you need to buy other games (Colosseum, XD, Ranger...) which means money (specially if they're games in other consoles which may mean buying the damn console too).

I only cloned once and that was because I didn't feel like trying to breed a Vaporeon with HP Electric 70 all over again. I don't see anything wrong with it honestly.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom