• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo moves into the next dimension: 3DS in stores February 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Nintendo moves into the next dimension: 3DS in stores February 2011

A recent Nintendo conference has revealed new information about the upcoming 3DS release. The latest portable console by Nintendo will be released in Japan in 2011, with a American and European release to follow in March.

Read more on Bulbanews

I'm sort of "meh." 3D just doesn't really rock my world, in movies, games, or real life.

And?

No one gives two craps about the 3D part, we're excited about the lineup.

I care about the 3d. And speak for yourself, (although I too am excited by some of the games in the lineup.)

Fifth generation for 3DS? I highly doubt it.

As stated in the Iwata Asks interview for B/W (which is as of yet only officially available in Japanese btw), moving on to advanced hardware brings enough changes to a game to feed an entire generation of Pokémon games, which has happened in all generations uptil now.

I expect this generation to end relatively quick, which is to say without a previous generation remake, before moving on to the highly complicated realm of the 3DS. Possibly they will choose to release a spin off game on the 3DS first to explore the possibilities a bit more. Also remember people will expect battles to be with high-end 3D effects, which would probably mean creating moving 3D models for all 649 pokémon!

No doubt they already started making concepts for the next Generation some time ago, but I don't see a main series Pokémon game coming for the 3DS in the near future.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting the 3ds for xmas, but since nintendo missed the release christmas schedule, I won't be getting one.

Gen V is looking to be short like gens i/ii as well. There haven't been any console battle sims announced yet, and the 3ds being out would hurt 3rd version sales.

first off 3d sux second generation v is going to bridge between 2 consoles thatd be retarded and sales for the next pokemon would plummit

Gen V is looking to be short like gens i/ii as well. There haven't been any console battle sims announced yet, and the 3ds being out would hurt 3rd version sales.

The third version would boost 3DS sales if it's for the 3DS, which is very likely.

How big is this one in comparison to the later two DS systems? :-/

...woah, joystick-circle thingy :-D

I could actually see an upgrade to 3DS for a third version... and I don't believe it would have to have 3D models... having a tilting camera in Battles with 3D would be cool enough on it's own... and Overworld (with the exception of the new Huge City) will not need That much 3D, but it should be effective if it's there.

I expect it to be a minor upgrade in the Vein of GS to C, or DP to Pt.

I know I won't be getting it right away. Plus...the price...D=

Unless if things change, there is no way I'm going to get a 3DS -- at least, not yet. US $300? That's more than pretty much any other system that I have ever had. Let alone a handheld, the type of system that I tend to like the most -- even the first two DS models were less than half of this price (and as far as I know, the DSi models are still a lot less than this). Even the Wii, when it came out initially, was less than this -- $US 250, which in my opinion was already a lot to begin with.

Not to mention, every time I get a new system early, there are, like, only one or two games that I want for it, then I get bored of them and switch back to an older system. I remember when the GBA was first out, I barely even used it until almost two years later when Pokémon R/S came out.

And I don't care much about the 3D effect, either. I prefer gameplay over graphics, and I get motion sensitive easily, so I'm afraid I'm going to be dizzy over the whole thing anyway.

I don't care about the camera, either. I already have a camera, and it rocks. I don't need a second one.

Plus, it doesn't even play GBA games. So, like the DSi models, I would be basically paying more for a system that can't play games that a cheaper model does. (No, I never bothered with a DSi at all, I never saw the point when I was already happy with my DS Lite.)

Finally, Nintendo always comes up with multiple models for the same kind of handheld, so I can easily see getting an original model of a 3DS, only to find that a newer one is going to be announced a few weeks later. I remember being infuriated when I got a DS in 2005 and heard about the then-new DS Lite a month or so later. Sigh. (The only reason why I even got a DS Lite in the first place was because both the L and R buttons on my original DS started screwing up, so I figured, why not upgrade. I really hope they make the L/R buttons on the 3DS far more sturdy.)

This is just my opinion on the whole thing, I know a lot of people will disagree with me, and that's fine. But nobody can force their opinions on me.

Why is this on Bulbanews? Bulbanews is for Pokémon-related things. What does the 3DS have to do with Pokémon? Last I checked, there are no Pokémon games on the 3DS.

So you're saying that: Kid Icarus, Starfox 64, Ocarina of Time, DOA, MGS Snake eater, SSFIV, 2 Resident Evil games, and Mario Kart don't interest you? Mind you they have GC graphics and 3d.

Why is this on Bulbanews? Bulbanews is for Pokémon-related things. What does the 3DS have to do with Pokémon? Last I checked, there are no Pokémon games on the 3DS.

Because every new main game of pokémon is released on a Nintendo Portable.Knowing about the machine we will need to play the games is important.

So you're saying that: Kid Icarus, Starfox 64, Ocarina of Time, DOA, MGS Snake eater, SSFIV, 2 Resident Evil games, and Mario Kart don't interest you? Mind you they have GC graphics and 3d.

No, not really. With the exception of Mario Kart 3DS, and maybe Kid Icarus, most of those franchises are either completely unfamiliar to me (and therefore don't interest me), or are remakes of already existing games (which I already have on the N64, and I barely liked OOT anyway). And the two games I mentioned certainly aren't enough to justify the ridiculous price.

Graphics don't make a game anyway.

Last edited:
And?

No one gives two craps about the 3D part, we're excited about the lineup.

I do, I feel like I'm the only who likes the 3D part. Seriously 3D without glasses, how in anyone cannot find that exciting is beyond me.

I mean seriously I already wear glasses, having to wear another pair of specialized glasses on top of the ones I already have is a PAIN in my ass, nor do I think I'm getting the full experience I should be like some of you people that don't need to wear glasses naturally.

Graphics don't make a game anyway.

They do for me. I mean sure I would love the best graphically game possible, but for certain systems I give the some leeway since perhaps the hardware isn't capable of high end graphics like the 360 or PS3 (of course I don't have the money to buy those type of systems and games).

But yeah I sure as hell don't want to play a game on the 3DS that has Atari-type graphics (1972).

Seriously 3D without glasses, how in anyone cannot find that exciting is beyond me.

Easy, some of us have eyes that tire easily or get disoriented by 3D effects.

Also, 3D is a definite gimmick that cannot possibly enhance gameplay as you can not interact back with it (ie. stylus, motion controls), and it's pretty clear they are doing this to cash in on "OMG THREE DEE!!!!!!!" that the industry has right now. It's just an added visual flair that does nothing for the actual product, and sometimes even diminishes it (see: Avatar: The LAst Airbender movie)

I predict that after about a year, the 3D is going to be shrugged off. It will still be used, but the care-factor will be diminished. It'll be all about the unit's processor power and games that use it. Which, even now, looks pretty impressive.

I'm a tad bitter about the 3D because I'm positive it's responsible for the steep asking price. 3D is costly, and the kind of 3D the 3DS utilizes (parallax barrier screen) is definitely costly. We're getting hit with 50-75$ (and in Japan's case, almost 100$) more of a price for a gimmick some of us can't even use without our vision going blurry in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom