• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your "That's a Pokemon?!?" Moments

I know I'm picking on the new generation just because I'm still getting used to them, but I want whatever the designers were smoking when they came up with the trash Pokemon. Dasutodatu (think that's its name) just about gave me nightmares the first time I saw it. That thing should be rated R and have it's own horror movie franchise.

And Maggyo. Can't wait to see what they do with it in the anime, though.

Voltorb.
I honestly thought that was a exploding Poke Ball.
My first reaction was 'WHAT IS THAT, WHY IS IT EXPLODING, AND WHY DOES THE POKE BALL HAVE A FACE T___T;'
I had to do a double take when I saw the new Ice Cream pokemon & the Magnet pokemon.
:C

I had a dunsparce pokemon card. I was like WHAT IS THAT THING??? I'VE NEVER SEEN IT B4!!!

Gear's evolutions. First time I saw Gear I thought he was cool, but his evolutions... Oh come on Nintendo, you need better ideas.

^ Yeah, they dont really look like Pokemon. But they are still really cool...

Also, the trashbag monster, the ice cream (AWESOMENESS!), the aliens, and the angry snowflake.

Maggyo. Damn, it's so disgusting :-D. But there're few new comer in the 5th generation, that look more like enemies in Super Mario than Pokémon. For an example Ishizumai/Iwaparesu and Zuruggu/Zuruzukin. Those really surprised me :-D.

I remember a few generations back, around when Ranger came out, I was browsing some images and found a concept art for Lucario. I had no idea what it was, so when gen. IV came out, I literally freaked. "That thing's a Pokemon?!" was the first thing to pop into my mind.

Definately Turtwig. When I saw it I asked myself "Why is there a leaf on the turtle's head?"

Maggyo. Damn, it's so disgusting :-D. But there're few new comer in the 5th generation, that look more like enemies in Super Mario than Pokémon. For an example Ishizumai/Iwaparesu and Zuruggu/Zuruzukin. Those really surprised me :-D.

........says someone who likes frikkin Mamoswine.....

How do they look like Mario enemies? The crabs I can see, but the lizards?

I tell this story often, but when I first played Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (which was my first exposure to Gen IV Pokemon), in the scene where the Tangrowth bursts out of the basement, I seriously thought Mr. Kincaid had been doing experiments on a Tangela in the basement. I didn't realize it was actually a Pokemon until I saw it in my Browser like halfway through the game. :<

None at all. Every Pokémon has an identifiable and solid basis between each other. They're all simple creatures, never going way too far, and every single one of them strikes me as Pokémon. The concept of "not a Pokémon" is a poorly constructed fan notion anyway. In five Generations, I'm yet to see a Pokémon that I can say doesn't belongs, and I doubt I ever will.

Like other people have said, I tend to think of newer Pokemon this way. But then I gradually get used to them and all is well again!

Spiritomb still springs to mind, though. I stopped playing the games around the 3rd generation until recently, so the concept still baffles me a bit... I remember seeing it on my friend's Platinum and being all like "... Is that thing a well-animated glitch? o_O". (Don't get me wrong, I love the design, but wow... it's quite scary, like some purple black hole. DX)

Ultraman... err... Kirikizan threw me for a loop when I saw him for the first time.
LOL Kirikizan- Ultraman..
what a reference. Now that I think about it he kinda does remind me of Ultraman.
Anyway when I first heard that Baibanira and it's trio were Ice-Cream I thought...
seriously? Pokémon based off Ice-Cream, Game Freak wtf? There are a lot of Pokémon, Koromori,Zekrom and Reshiram reminded me of Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon... I always still can't believe that the Unown, Pineco and Fortress are still Pokémon...
picture.php
picture.php

Crimigan. It just looks like one of those generic plastic dragon toys you'd get sometimes with a meal when you went to Mcdonalds.

Hahaha. Yes that is actually true. McDonalds always used to come with weird alien/dragon toys or whatever.
~~~~~~~
Kind of off topic...
I've seen Pokémon such as Lucario,Gobitto,Goruggo,Sazandora,Iwaparesu,Gigaiath and other Pokémon and thought OMG RuneScape or this looks like a monster that I'd see on RuneScape, for example the Cockatrice Monster, it kinda looks like a bird/dragon thing yeah. Even though Pokémon does not resemble RuneScape in the slightest.

picture.php
This is RuneScape Monster, Cockatrice.

Last edited:
The Musketeer trio (or quartet, or whatever you want to call it) sort of threw me off. Especially the last one.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom