• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter?

Which starter is the worst?

• Total voters
Chimchar, it looks like it was designed in a rush 2 days before the game's deadline. It looks awful.

I'm not really sure why, I just never liked Bulbasaur as a starter. I never picked it, maybe because I thought the other two were cooler. Liked him as Ash's Pokemon though.

Chimchar. I could never get myself to like that thing or its evolutions. They're extremely unoriginal and dull. Even Pansear is better, imo.

For stats, Idk, I don't care about those
For looks, I hate the gen V water thing. It looks like a hamster faced japanese abomination.

HOW IS THIS A HAMSTER-FACED JAPANESE ABOMINATION? 8c
Juniper_Oshawott.png
It looks like an ordinary otter to me :]

Last edited:
Chikorita? Why do you hate it? Yes, it's not very strong, but let's take into account not just battling, but the Pokemon overall. Piplup, now, is a different story. Decent design, looks like a starter, but it's not very original. I'd like it more if they actually made a part Flying type bird-based starter. I mean, Chamander looks nothing like a Flying type, but they could do that. I didn't like Oshawatt at first, but now it's growing on me. Especially Futchamaru.

Chikorita is the only choice with over 50 votes. In fact, it has over 100 votes...

Poor leaf dino...

EDIT: I must have voted in this a long time ago... why the hell did I choose Turtwig?!?!

Well, I agree with ArticWolf completely. The Gen V starters should be left out of the poll, as we dont know much about them yet. But based on looks, I would TOTALLY, COMPLETELY say that Tepig sucks. The first time I saw it, I hoped that it wasn't an official design. I mean, what the heck does a pig have to do with fire?!? One can suggest a pig/ham/pork being baked to eat (no offense to vegetarians & vegans), but that's kinda wierd.... I cant lie, I like the name "Emboar", but I feel like the pokemon designers didnt put much thought into the creation of this starter. I didn't like the water starter at first because it seemed to cute and fragile, but Im dying to try its 1st evo. I might even leave it that way, depending on how effective of a battler it is... I was somewhat dissapointed when I saw its 2nd evo because it traded its legs for flippers. Ahh, I'll take it anyway. Keep in mind that this is discussing looks only.

As for the other starters, I have mixed feelings about Chikorita. I had Chikorita & Bayleaf as trading cards, and I likeed them in the anime fine. I think Bayleaf looks cool, although the whole evo line was messed up with Meganium.... But like everyone else, I don't see much use in Chikorita/Meganium's moveset other than for support. But even that hardly works because there are tons of better walls/supporters like Blissey for example. It also took me a while to find out what Chikorita's evo line was based on...

I also don't like Chimchar as a species. I like Ash's Chimchar & all the trials it had to go through after Paul released it. But as a starter/species, I feel like the designers ran with the idea of a Fire-Fghting-type starter. After hearing a ton of people throwing parades for Infernape because of its similarites with Blaziken, I got sick of Fire-/Fighting-type starters (and Fire-/Fighting-type pokemon for that matter). Chimchar's design doesn't suck, but I feel like it was rushed and uncreative. I do like it's moveset though...

So, I guess it's Tepig for #1 (and the 1 I voted for), Chimchar for #2 with looks and (*I really don't wanna say this*) Chikorita barely makes my list with the worst moves.

I mean, what the heck does a pig have to do with fire?!? One can suggest a pig/ham/pork being baked to eat (no offense to vegetarians & vegans), but that's kinda wierd

The same thing chickens, echidnas, and monkeys have to do with fire - nothing. Only Fire-type starter that was ever truly fire-related was Charmander.

Not sure which one is the worse in regards to stat wise and for competitive battling, but Totodile in my opinion, is most forgettable. Its evolutions are not interesting either.

Why do some many people dislike Chikorita? Is it because it's feminine looking? Chikorita is my favourite from Gen 2 mostly because I love all Grass starters and saurapods in general.

Not sure which one is the worse in regards to stat wise and for competitive battling, but Totodile in my opinion, is most forgettable. Its evolutions are not interesting either.

Why do some many people dislike Chikorita? Is it because it's feminine looking? Chikorita is my favourite from Gen 2 mostly because I love all Grass starters and saurapods in general.

I didnt want to look like a Chikorita hater (lol), because I dont hate Chikorita. I have mixed feelings about Chikorita. I had Chikorita & Bayleaf as trading cards, and I liked them in the anime fine. I think Bayleaf looks cool, although the whole evo line was messed up with Meganium.... But like everyone else, I don't see much use in Chikorita/Meganium's moveset other than for support. But even that hardly works because there are tons of better walls/supporters like Blissey for example. It also took me a while to find out what Chikorita's evo line was based on...

-Yeah, I just copied & pasted from my original post :p

I don't hate Chikorita too. And I guess that I voted in the wrong starter is this poll. I was thinking and the really worst starter is Charmander and its crap hyped evolutions.

I'm sorry for the trouble, Chikorita.

Piplup, hands down. I can't stand that Pokemon, in the anime, and in the games. IMO it's the worst starter, and so far (haven't played Black&White yet), it's the only starter I REFUSE to use.

Why so much hate for Chikorita? It's pretty much the only time that my favorite starter of a gen hasn't been Fire. :(

The only one that I find uninteresting is Totodile. It's kinda cute, I suppose, but it hardly changes as it evolves and just gets kinda ugly.

I've never really been able to like piplup. I've only used it once. So I'm gonna have to go with the penguin.

pikachu is by far the overrated pokemon, but i have to say pokabu ... it just looks SO predictable and uncreative ... and im kinda upset that chikorita was voted the worst, it was the first pokemon i EVAR had (when i got my first game - crystal) ...

also, piplup isnt a bad starter pokemon, i managed to defeat the ENTIRE pokemon league with Empoleon alone, just my opinion

pikachu is by far the overrated pokemon, but i have to say pokabu ... it just looks SO predictable and uncreative ... and im kinda upset that chikorita was voted the worst, it was the first pokemon i EVAR had (when i got my first game - crystal) ...

also, piplup isnt a bad starter pokemon, i managed to defeat the ENTIRE pokemon league with Empoleon alone, just my opinion

Me too!! excepti used her(him) in gold for the first time... Its not THAT weak a pokemon and it was funny in the anime too. So much chikorita hate...haters gonna hate...:argue:

the starter i would say is the worst would have to be... oshawott/mijumaru... It looks messed up in its base form, just gets bigger and bluer and then evolves into this mutant sea lion/cloyster fusion.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom