• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the worst new Pokemon for you performance wise?

Blitzle. I tried to train it but he can't take a hit. In the end I lost my patience and just caught a Zebstrika.

Tympole and Palpitoad are very disappointing. I thought a Water/Ground would have a permanent place on my team, but it learns no good ground attacks like Dig or Earthquake, even by TM. Waste of space...

Don't forget that the line barely learns any ice type attacks. >>
I like to have ice type moves on my water types. >>

I had no problems using Purrloin/Liepard at all. :S In fact, she died less than my Zoroark.

I'd say Rufflet/Braviary. He's evolved now and I STILL barely ever use him.

Musharna was very disappointing. Samurott didn't perform as well as I had hoped. Serperior was also a letdown.

So far, Deerling has been shaky. Either it completely dominates and sweeps an entire team or it falls over dead. It did kill every single one of Clay's Pokemon in a few turns, but it's been very hard to level aside from that.

Unfezant was pretty disappointing, which is why I replaced him with Mandibuzz. And Scraggy... That thing was useless! Blitzle was also a disappointment most of the time. As well as 90% of the early Pokémon.

I had no problems using Purrloin/Liepard at all. :S In fact, she died less than my Zoroark.

I'd say Rufflet/Braviary. He's evolved now and I STILL barely ever use him.
TMs help out alot, to round out coverage and increase the movepool in general. Rock Slide is good with Sheer Force, and Shadow Claw makes Ghost types eagle-prey. But after looking Rufflet over, I don't think he's worth the trouble of training, at least for ingame use. If you rely on Fly for powerful STAB, ingame battles will take too long. They'll be long anyway, because Rufflet can't reliably get the first hit in.
So far, Deerling has been shaky. Either it completely dominates and sweeps an entire team or it falls over dead. It did kill every single one of Clay's Pokemon in a few turns, but it's been very hard to level aside from that.
I could see why Deerling would be shaky--it doesn't learn any good physical Grass moves. Jumpkick is its first reliable move, and that comes @ 24. Sawsbuck should be solid though--the draining of Horn Leech is more than enough to cover for Wild Charge's recoil. With Return, Megahorn, or Jump Kick, this gen's worst Dragons are covered.
Unfezant was pretty disappointing, which is why I replaced him with Mandibuzz. And Scraggy... That thing was useless! Blitzle was also a disappointment most of the time. As well as 90% of the early Pokémon.
You found Scraggy useless? I dunno what to say... Upon hitting level 20, Scraggy should've been good enough with reliable STAB coverage. Normal, Psychic, Dark, and Rock pokemon should be common enough for adequate training as well...

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only person having problems with Blitzle. Mine's at level 26 so it should evolve soon. After that, I'll see if it's worth keeping. I really want a Golurk and Chandelure in my team eventually.

I'm in Driftvel(SP) City right now and my team is:

Servine
Blitzle
Panpour
Herdier
Tranquil
Sawk

I have a Water Stone but I'm a bit hesistant to evolve Panpour because I don't know if I want to keep him. Any other Pokemon in Unova that evolves by Water Stones?

I have a Water Stone but I'm a bit hesistant to evolve Panpour because I don't know if I want to keep him. Any other Pokemon in Unova that evolves by Water Stones?
Nope, just Panpour. Simipour doesn't learn any new moves though.
Glad I'm not the only person having problems with Blitzle.
Misery loves company.

Last edited:
You found Scraggy useless? I dunno what to say... Upon hitting level 20, Scraggy should've been good enough with reliable STAB coverage. Normal, Psychic, Dark, and Rock pokemon should be common enough for adequate training as well...

It's because it replaced Timburr, which could knock out an Audino with one hit, while Scraggy took two (they were the same level). It just felt like stepping down, which is why I boxed it.

My Blitzle in my White team has been great. Shock Wave wasn't too strong compared to Flame Charge due to its attack stat being significantly better than its special attack stat, but it did help me out quite a bit in the third Gym and hasn't lost that much at all. Even my Servine, soon to become a Serperior, hasn't lost that much and is doing pretty well. I can see how lacking its movepool is though and that is a bit of a disappointment, but it was able to handle itself against some of the Bug Pokemon in the third Gym.

As for disappointments, I'm going to have to go with Pansear. I still think that it has a really cute design, but it was not doing that well at all with Fury Swipes doing more damage than its Fire type move did and definitely had a hard time winning any match. I was planning to have it as my Fire type on my Black team, but I'm going to wait for Litwick instead.

Chandelure is really useful.

On the subject though, Panpour was very useless... Pansear destroyed it...

Nope, just Panpour. Simipour doesn't learn any new moves though.Misery loves company.

Thanks.

Awww..that's really disappointing to hear about Panpour..I guess I will ditch it soon. I'm thinking about adding either Frillish or that fossil Turtle to my team. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Frillish for that cool dual type it's got.

I say Blitzle, mine didn't even make it to a gym debut before I boxed it. I caught and tried Zebstrika but it really pales to my compoundeyes thunder Galvaltula:). Tympole was another dissapointment due to how weak it's evos are Tirtouga was doing better than Palpitoad by a long shot.

The Pidove and Blitzle lines. They sucked ass for me. I never evolved my Tranquil because it always fainted. I replaced it with Braviary. Blitzle never K.O.'d a pokemon. I boxed it. I'll probably give it a lucky egg and train it like I'm doing my Zweilous right now.

Golurk for me, if it wasn't for the fact that it's so cool to fly on a robot, I would have box'd it long ago.

How can something that awesome not have the typical Unova high offense/low defense or high defense/ low offense?

Pansage: Weak monkey I don't even care about. All I really needed it for was the first gym and for using Cut early on. The thing was boxed instantly when I realised Cut was only needed for the Dream Yard during the main story.

Oh, dude, you missed out on an opportunity to pack a real powerhouse on your team. Simisage's Seed Bomb is unreal.

With a mustache.

Golurk for me, if it wasn't for the fact that it's so cool to fly on a robot, I would have box'd it long ago.

How can something that awesome not have the typical Unova high offense/low defense or high defense/ low offense?

Golurk does have high offense (124 base attack). He has average bulk, but really slow. His iron fist ability makes Shadow Punch worth using as an STAB (somewhat). He is too slow though.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom