• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Why some people think that you're forced to go through every single water route, repels don't exist,a plot with an entire region almost being destroyed is boring and that you can't play FR/LG or Emerald, which fixed some of R/S's errors? That's what I generally see.

Really, the only thing I hate about gen 3 are how some of the fans are so eager to prove why gen 3 is so much better then previous generations, and how everyone who disagrees is a nostalgiafag.

Really, the only thing I hate about gen 3 are how some of the fans are so eager to prove why gen 3 is so much better then previous generations, and how everyone who disagrees is a nostalgiafag.

Probably because Gen III was the first new gen after Kanto/Johto, and that's the one the older fans generally go after the most.

By the time Gen IV and Gen V started, they realized Pokemon was just going to go on forever, so complaining about new Pokemon designs started to get pointless.

I think they were under the assumption Pokemon was eventually going to end.

We wouldn't have to do that if they were fewer people who are determined to hate it and downplay its good points. :)

I'll admit, in my opinion, RS are competing with DP for the worst games in the series thus far. Don't get me wrong, it's not that they suck or that I don't like them (hell, I'm replaying Sapphire right now), they were just the weakest entries in the series proper.

I just think that the plot was horribly executed, like to an extreme degree (the idea was good, the execution was not).

That said, Gen III still had some great things to offer. It had Eemerald, which (like Platinum for Gen IV) pretty much fixed all my main issues with RS, it had FrLg, great remakes of excellent games, it had Colosseum and XD, both fantastic additions to the Pokemon world, and it had the Pokemon. If nothing else, Hoenn brought us some fantastic Pokemon (Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Milotic, Breloom, Swellow, Metagross, all the Dragons, Absol, Manectric, the Legends, pretty much all the Grass types...)

So yeah, I don't hate Gen III, I just think RS were the worst in the series.

Only one swarm of pokemon, after E4 surskit swarmed and that was it

Well that's because originally Kanto and Johto Pokemon were made to be thought that they never going to be brought back, thats why National Dex wasn't obtainable without trading with the future FireRed/LeafGreen, Nintendo made it seem like Kanto and Johto were done, but then a year later they brought Red/Green remakes. Emerald, if I recall, had quite a few more swarms, and also some foreign pokemon obtainable after the E4

Also there was like no water involved (not counting Mr. Briney's speedboat near the beginning of the game) until you got to Lilycove, (unless you wanna count the 5 second surf on your way to Fortree..) the region had a nice tropical feel to it, and the Pokemon were just fine, lets look at Gen V pokemon, we got ice creams and flying "I have no clue what to call its" ..Sigilyph is the name of the pokemon. After you look at those you come and tell me Generation III Pokemon sucked

G3 definitely ranks top in my regions list pre-G5. I liked the amount of water, it offered the feel of a grander adventure. As for the rest of the Gen, it introduced some of my favorite Pokemon (namely, Milotic) but had a few misses (Clamperl's evos come to mind). I kinda liked the dualism between the two enemy teams but really my main sticking point is how stupid both sides sounded. Beyond them I loved the story, the Groudon vs Kyogre battle was great. I've never been a fan of the Battle Frontier though. G3 I'd probably rank in the top half of my favorites list.

Quite honestly this was the game that made me dislike Pokemon for a number of years.

Even to this day I can't seem to relate or understand why there needs to be SO MANY new Pokemon every game.

I loved GSE because they expanded on the original story. It wasn't JUST a rehash of the original system.

It wasn't until about a year ago I got back into the whole series.... right now I play Pokemon honestly because of the graphic advances and the touch screen on my DS. It just seems so much more fun... but honestly I can't vividly remember/relate to any Pokemon beyond RBY and even some from GSE.

All said and done though RSE was a lot of fun to play and I would actually rank it story/game wise up there as far as my favorite of the bunch. I think I like it above Platinum too! It definitely helped refine and shape the mold for later games to come!! :D

While RSE are certainly not my favorites, I thought they were alright games. Admittedly I didn't play through them in their entirety until after DPPt were released and the only reason I played through them was because I hated the PokeRadar, the mangion and the mass outbreak from DPPt. But like all games, they have their pros and cons.

Pros: Improved graphics, more Pokemon, new moves and items.
Cons: Too much water, lack of compatibility with gen I & II, Pokemon that were clearly left out for FR & LG.

But FR & LG are still considered gen III, and I personally think that those are two of the finest titles in the franchise.

I can't remember if I already posted in this thread or not, but I think the main reason why I didn't like the Hoenn games was because playing them just felt like a chore. I'm sure this is in part to the fact that I only got Emerald so that I could get the Legendaries to transfer them into Platinum, but there were other things as well. I think the most annoying thing about them was the map design. I honestly felt like I spent half the time back-treking through areas I'd already been to trying to find the next town.

It really doesn't get that much hate.

While I do like it, it has several cons.
-Lack of variety and diversity in surfing pokemon. For a Region that was roughly 50% water variety in surfing encounter pokemon was distributed horribly. I don't see why they couldn't have made staryu a surfing pokemon in the water around the coastal cities, corsola around pacifilog town, horsea around route 132 133 and 134. Inverting encounter rates so old standard pokemon like tentacool, geodude, and zubat were rare and new ones were common would have helped as well.

-Insulting lack of post game content.

-Almost complete lack of connection to other regions and lack of progression in time.

-Idiotic villains

Why do so many people hate Gen. 3? Before I give my answer i'd just like to point out that while there are many people that hate Gen. 3, there are also a huge number of fans that love it and think its the best ever because they honestly think that and because thats the generation a lot of fans first started in.

I like to classify each gen as an age. Golden Age, Silver Age, that sort of thing. I like to refer to Generation 3 as the Renaissance of pokemon. Everything changed in that Generation and the modern games are based off of those changes. As with all changes not everyone accepted them and I think the reasons why are pretty clear.

1. Not counting the remakes a good portion of the old pokemon were left out.
2. The designs of the new pokemon looked weird and annoying to some people.

3. As with all new games some people just love to hate on them. :)

4. Version exclusive legendaries, an unfortunate trait thats continued to this day.

5. Many people found the surfing and diving annoying. Not saying this is a reason to hate the entire gen, but its a reason thats brought up a lot.

Overall Gen. 3 is the most controversial Gen. and was responsible for a lot of old fans (Me included) leaving the games behind. Some like me came back and some didn't. Looking back at Generation 3 now I have a greater appreciation for it and I recognize its strengths along with its flaws.

On a personal note, in Emerald I found the Battle Frontier to be Extremely boring compared to the 8 extra gyms + Red that we were treated to in the previous Generation. So I guess you can say that I was let down by what Generation 3 offered players AFTER they'd beaten the Elite 4.

I never disliked 3rd gen but from what I've heard the plot was bad and a lot of people disliked the water routes I guess.

I love the water routes, it made it unique to me. I also love a lot of its pokemon. I don't even remember the plot to be honest. XP I didn't care back then, but I probably would now if I replayed it.

No matter how "retarded" Aqua and Magma were according to some people, 3rd Gen was the first time they actually integrated Legendaries in the plot, and it was done pretty nicely. Plus, it's not as if this was any worse than Team Rocket remnants being pathetic and big crybabies over getting Giovanni back with them. The only reason they get a pass is because they're Team Rocket!!!111

They sucked, though. I was happy to see new bad guys for a change, and I'm glad that continues in latter games. Also, it makes more sense in this series to try using the power of a Legendary Pokémon to fulfill their ideals than... take over buildings to steal something or send a message.

All Pokémon's plots are awfully obtuse besides Platinum's and Black/White anyway, so I don't see the big deal. It's just a fanbase thing like most things I bet. lol

Gen. III was the turning point in pokemon; some mechanics were added, some subtracted. All the generated hate (& love) inevitably stems from that.

I, don't hate Gen. III, but it is my least favorite Gen. In R/S many pokemon were cut out (guess as an excuse to remake Gen. I) which left a bad taste in my mouth. Also the Day/Night feature was also cut out; that also left a bad taste in my mouth. The new ability & natures mechanics were hard to get used to (was 10 when Gen. III came out), (not saying it's a con). The shitload of water based routes were definitely a pain in the ass. I didn't like many of the new pokemon *looking at you mudkip*. & personally, I just don't like the aesthetics of the Hoenn region & the graphics in general (I personally love the 8 bit graphics of the GBC). I did however enjoy the alternate storylines & is what kept me wanting to constantly play/erase/play the games again & again. FR/LG were great ideas, & I really enjoyed the Sevii Islands, but playing through the main storyline just didn't feel the same as when I played RBY :( it felt different, & I didn't like that. It made me miss the 8 bit graphics, the 8 bit music, the many awesome glitches, etc. cuz it's what made/still makes RBY stand out amongst all the games. Emerald, I have to say I did like more than R/S/FR/LG following the usual 3rd game format; improved epic storyline, post game stuff to do, etc.

All in all, I don't hate Gen. III but it's definitely my least fav, mainly due to my personal taste in graphics/region aesthetics, & the fact the Hoenn pokemon are my least favorite compared all the other regions. The "hate" is prolly just distaste being spewed in the wrong way.

one thing Gen. III did do better than all other Gens was the framerate! God you could run as fast as Sonic in your running shoes.

I don't hate Gen III. I started out in Generation IV but, since my brother and I have DS Lites, my brother decided to get Emerald. It was great! I got FireRed, my own GBA, and a crapload of link cables (although I haven't used them yet because my brother started a new game). But yeah, I've never heard anyone complain about Gen III before, and I definitely don't think it's "the worst".

They didn't leave out old Pokemon intentionally. It was either keeping backward compatability or the addition of Natures, Abilities and the refinements of the EV and IV system.

They didn't leave out old Pokemon intentionally. It was either keeping backward compatability or the addition of Natures, Abilities and the refinements of the EV and IV system.

or they could've done like the past two generations and just completely redo the Pokemon's data structure AFTER it's been transferred and simply not allow it to be sent back. But then again, the 8-bit games were running on a hexadecimal data structure, so I guess that time, it was necessary.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom