• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

Which is the true Third Version of GenI?

• Blue

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 91 72.2%

• Total voters

Rellik

That Guy
Reaction score
This is something that keeps coming up lately, so I think it's time we finely let the community just vote on it.

The argument is simple: What is the true Third Version to Generation I: Blue Version (JP) or Yellow.

Blue Version was the third Pokemon game released in Japan in October of 1996. It was a minor revision to the original Red and Green versions that were released earlier that same year, and was originally only available to subscribers of CoroCoro. Blue had the same story as it's predecessors, but offered a slight update to the graphics and sounds from the original two versions, and also fixed several known glitches. When it was time to start releasing Pokemon in other regions, the original Red and Green versions provided the version exclusive lists, but Blue provided the graphics, game engine, and script for translation.

Yellow Version was released in Japan in September of 1998. Yellow was originally intended to give GF time to do some re-tweaking on the at-then upcoming GenII games. It was the fourth game released in Japan, but was the third game released world wide. While Yellow followed the same basic storyline as the other Generation 1 games, there were a few key differences that set it apart. Instead of choosing between Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle at the beginning of the game, the player is given a Pikachu. The player's rival receives an Eevee as his starter Pokemon, and chooses it's evolution based on the outcome of several early game battles against him. The other three starter Pokemon can be received about a quarter way through the game after certain conditions have been met. Jessie and James from the anime have several appearances throughout the game and can be battled. Also of note, level-up and TM compatibility were changed slightly. (This was actually the first game in the series where Charizard could learn Fly.)

I think it should be yellow as blue is what they used to make red/blue when pokemon was released outside of Japan and yellow added new content and had alot of updates from blue(jp) and red/blue such as glitch fix's and new sprites and much more.

Blue
Even if it was realeased as joint 1st out of Japan it was still the third pokemon game ever made. It's that simple.

Yellow. It has the differences to qualify it as a 'third version' even though it's not literally the third version, whereas Blue was more of a correction rather than an explicitly-redone slightly-different version.

Yellow.

Was the true fourth game.

Blue came out third. Yellow had more features than Blue but it came out fourth.

Blue is the third version. Yellow was a special edition based off the anime, hence the Japanese name being Pocket Monsters Pikachu and the English version having the subtitle Special Pikachu Edition.

I think it would be Blue version; because with the other third versions theres always some adjustments but nothign too major.
In the case of yellow, it follows the anime too closely and the other third versions do not

Blue changed nothing but the graphics. In fact, its closer to a remake.

Calling any game a 'third version' is wrong. We are looking for 'updated deluxe version'.

And Yellow doesn't even follow the anime that closely. Brock and Misty don't travel with you, the league isn't a tournament but exactly like the one in previous games (A gauntlet of 4 follewed by the champion), you actually win the league, etc.

There is also Red's team to consider in GSCHGSS.

I can understand how how Yellow could be the "true third game". But the reason for creating it wasn't exactly the same as with Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and the eventual Grey. Those games are revisions of the first two, and if they want, expand on the story.

Blue is that, a revision.

Yellow was just created to promote the anime, or something along those lines.

I can't really come to a conclusion, and nor do I care to much. But look forward to reading posts, this debate should be interesting.

I think you worded this poorly, or perhaps it's just the circumstance that put you in such an awkward position.

Although it is not literally the third game, Yellow set the precedent for other games such as Emerald, Platinum and Crystal. So in that sense, it is the first "third game".

we really should come up with another name for those...

Blue.

Yellow was Pokemon: Anime Fan Edition. And just like the anime, it was filler until GSC came out.

Blue is the true 3rd version. It may not have brought as much to the table as other 3rd games, but it was the first gen so it doesn't really matter, it was an improvement of the first two, & that's the base idea.

Yellow was just released for the anime fans. It is not the true third version. The games and manga are canon, not the anime.

Pokemon Yellow was not solely released for anime fans, nor was it only bought by anime fans. Thus, Pokemon Yellow is canon.

Pokemon Yellow was not solely released for anime fans, nor was it only bought by anime fans. Thus, Pokemon Yellow is canon.

True. But it was made with anime fans in mind, & also has blatant anime aspects/references. Yes, there is a Yellow section of the manga, but the game doesn't relate to the manga in the case of Yellow; it's more of a alternative version where you can play the anime, to an extent. I did word my post wrong. Yellow is canon, but Blue is the true 3rd game canon. Yellow is in it's own bracket, in my eyes.

Yellow. Taking ALL fans in mind worldwide, then clearly Yellows the 3rd version. But as other people have said, 3rd version doesn't even seem to be te right term anymore. As Ranger Jack Walker said, "Updated Deluxe version" seems to make more sense.

Yellow had some references to the anime, but that doesn't change the fact that it did what all deluxe versions after it did and that is it tweaked the basic storyline and added some extra stuff in.

The most obvious proof that yellow is the true versions comes from the Johto games, secifically Red's team. Really the only way that team makes sense is if yellow's canon.

True. But it was made with anime fans in mind, & also has blatant anime aspects/references. Yes, there is a Yellow section of the manga, but the game doesn't relate to the manga in the case of Yellow; it's more of a alternative version where you can play the anime, to an extent. I did word my post wrong. Yellow is canon, but Blue is the true 3rd game canon. Yellow is in it's own bracket, in my eyes.
It's completely fair to say the Pokemon Yellow was made pandering to the Anime fans. However, I think saying that it's "an alternative version where you can play the anime" is completely unfair. The Changes don't make it so you can play the anime, rather you simply start with the same pokemon as Ash (and the Rocket Trio show up) and play through almost the exact same story as RB. Inspired by it? Yes. Alternative version where you play the anime? No.

In addition to that, I don't believe Blue's changes were enough to put it in the same category as Emerald, Crystal and Platinum. Bulbapedia only has these changes listed...

Cerulean Cave, the game's final dungeon, is redesigned.
In-game trades are changed to different Pokémon.
Game Corner prizes are different.
Pokémon only available through an in-game trade in Red and Green are now found in the wild.

really, those don't set it apart from Red and Green. Have you actually played Blue?

On a side note, I can see a lot of people taking their arguments solely from which they played first, and if they think it makes them a better pokemon fan if they say they played RGB. I'm not saying you did that, this is general.

Didn't Blue feature entirely revised sprites and generally better graphics than Red and Green, though? Perhaps it was lighter on the upgrades than subsequent 3rd versions, but that was probably due to the fact it was the very first generation and they were still ironing their method out.

Personally, I always have viewed Blue as the actual 3rd version; and Yellow as a unique, anime-derived edition of Generation I. It was kind of North America's 3rd version, but only because our first two games already came with all the upgrades present in Japan's real 3rd version.

Didn't Blue feature entirely revised sprites and generally better graphics than Red and Green, though? Perhaps it was lighter on the upgrades than subsequent 3rd versions, but that was probably due to the fact it was the very first generation and they were still ironing their method out.

Personally, I always have viewed Blue as the actual 3rd version; and Yellow as a unique, anime-derived edition of Generation I. It was kind of North America's 3rd version, but only because our first two games already came with all the upgrades present in Japan's real 3rd version.

I suppose that's a fair point, although it really doesn't sit in comparison with the the other third games. The changes in Y/C/E/P were all significant enough that you can see a clear evolution, Blue simply seems like technology upgraded so they could add a little more.

Wasn't blue originally only released to people who suscribed to CoroCoro magazine?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom