• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Disapointment

I'm OK with new evolutions.

Pre-evolutions/babies are filler trash, and I hope we don't see their like anymore. Chingling? Please. We don't need weaker forms of Pokemon that are already weak to begin with.

In general, though, I prefer totally new Pokemon to new evolutions, though.

I agree with this almost a hundred percent. Professor Rowan is the evolution expert, after all, so it makes sense that Generation IV would have a bunch of new evolutions. I do really like some of the evolutions (Yanmega, anyone?), but I'd be lying if I said I thought we needed any more.

Also I miss walking Pokémon.

I for one am glad they didn't have even a single Pokémon related to old ones, be it Pre-Evolutions, Evolutions, or even Legendary Trio Master (Lugia, Regigigas). I'm very happy every single new Pokémon is actually new and interesting. No matter how outlandish the designs can be, the Pokémon are very creative and it's exciting to get to know them, much like the beginning of the franchise, or 3rd Gen.

Unfortunately, 6th Gen will probably repeat the pathetic "a little bit over 100 new Pokémon with 20%+ related to old ones" pattern, but here's hoping it does a better job than Gen II/IV in every other area. I won't count on it, though. For now, I'll just enjoy 5th Gen while it lasts, because it's awesome.

Completely the opposite.

ALL New Pokémon. A million times better than new Pokémon + ones relating to old Pokémon. Technically, they are all new, but you get what I'm saying. Generation IV was great, but what I disliked most about it is how they connected so many new Pokémon to older ones, even though I can't think of any one in particular to hate. As much as I love the Pre-evolutions and evolutions of old Pokémon, I prefer completely new ones.

That they're purposely holding things like Gym Leader rematches and a Battle Frontier until the third game. :/

I'm actually relieved that there's totally new pokemon. I was really tired of all the pre-fvo forms and then random extra evo forms. I can see why other people enjoy them, but they're not for me. All these new pokemon are refreshing.

Whoever said Pokemon had to be based on animals?
Some of the most popular and iconic Pokemon are designed from inanimate objects, or plants. And honestly, who doesnt have a soft spot for Litwick? They're adorable.
I found alot of the new designs were quite inspired. As a graphic designer myself, I can appreciate the amount of trouble some of these designs would have caused to perfect.
Im not saying Gen Vs designs are perfect, by any means (I, for one, am not a fan of the Ice Cream line, or Stoutlands enormous moustache), but for the most part they're astoundingly original.

Well, yeah they had to be original if they're inventing them from scratch. Plants are living things too. I'm not saying they in the past stuck solely to the animal kingdom for reference (of course there are examples like Voltorb, Magneton) but it seems to be getting a little bit out of hand. I mean a candle Vs and ice-cream?

I'm not complaining, I find Litwick very adorable for the record, I just think they should have pushed the boat out less and stuck with some evolutions to make up the numbers.

It reminds me of South Park when they were taking the p@ss out of Pokemon and they had a Pokemon called 'shoe'

These days, there could very well be a Pokemon that's based on a shoe >.>

I think the standards are slipping.

Well, yeah they had to be original if they're inventing them from scratch. Plants are living things too. I'm not saying they in the past stuck solely to the animal kingdom for reference (of course there are examples like Voltorb, Magneton) but it seems to be getting a little bit out of hand. I mean a candle Vs and ice-cream?

I'm not complaining, I find Litwick very adorable for the record, I just think they should have pushed the boat out less and stuck with some evolutions to make up the numbers.

It reminds me of South Park when they were taking the p@ss out of Pokemon and they had a Pokemon called 'shoe'

These days, there could very well be a Pokemon that's based on a shoe >.>

I think the standards are slipping.

The only reason the Gen V Pokemon seem more outlandish to you than the Gen I Pokemon is because of nostalgia.

It's the same complaint every generation.

GameFreak always should have stopped the series at whatever game you played when you're 13.

A living ice cream cone is no more absurd than a living hovering naval mine that spews out toxic gas. In fact, I would argue that it's less absurd.

And for the record, there is a Japanese mythological monster that IS a living shoe.

Of course the standards are slipping in some areas at least - you try making over a hundred original creatures after the already huge variety there already is. We can only be inspired by what we already know and there is no such thing as originality any more. Frankly, if they do it creatively, I don't care if they base a pokemon on a shoe. If you take it far enough, with the right creativitity you can pull it off. I'd rather they introduce a few pokemon they didn't quite develop far enough than shove evos from previous generations in just to bulk up the numbers. This was supposed to be a new start for Pokemon, not a continuation of what was already there, and as Zeta has suggested, people hold previous generations high and mighty (far too much, imo) because that's what they're used to. My first Pokemon? A turtle. A turtle with cannons in its shell. You tell me how that's any more imaginitive than an ice cream cone that can blow ice all up in your shiz.

I was dissapointed in the lack of touchscreen features that were there in HGSS. Pressing buttons for everything is so weird!

The only reason the Gen V Pokemon seem more outlandish to you than the Gen I Pokemon is because of nostalgia.

It's the same complaint every generation.

GameFreak always should have stopped the series at whatever game you played when you're 13.

A living ice cream cone is no more absurd than a living hovering naval mine that spews out toxic gas. In fact, I would argue that it's less absurd.

And for the record, there is a Japanese mythological monster that IS a living shoe.

Every Pokemon had a thing. Even the ones that weren't based on Living things. Magneton was based on Magnets and made sense that it was electrically charged. Voltorb was like a bomb etc, etc, etc. It's like there's no thought being put into them anymore.
I'm not complaining, I still think these Pokemon are cute, I'm just saying.

I don't want my team in Gen 6 to be comprised of. An apple, a kettle, a curtain hook, a blender, a hair clip and a potato chipper :/

At this rate they will be :p

I miss the Walking Pokemon feature.

I do not understand at all why there is no Safari Zone. With the Game Corner, I wasn't so surprised but why is there no Safari Zone?

Last edited:
I liss the Walking Pokemon feature.

I do not understand at all why there is no Safari Zone. With the Game Corner, I wasn't so surprised but why is there no Safari Zone?

Me too. I thought it would have it too. It's a big step back being able to walk with your Pokemon and then suddenly you can't anymore. I miss the PokeGear too. In lots of ways the new games are a step back compared to HGSS.

Augh, all these people who say "baaaw the Pokemons are unoriginal sob" need to stop whining. OTL Hoenn and Unova Pokemon are by far, for me, the most brilliantly designed Pokemon yet!

Skitty VS Meowth, for instance. Instead of just taking a cat, making him able to walk, and calling him a Pokemon, Skitty mixed up a real cats design, became cute and round, is pink, and comes with a tail not seen on real cats. You tell me who has a more original and creative design.

(I know what Meowth is based on, but since Kanto is OH SO ORIGINAL, I used him as an example)

Also, there are VAST different species of real-life animals. Meowth and Persian are street cats, Skitty and Delcatty...are different cats, Glameow and Purugly are pampered and spoiled house-cats, and Purrlion and Liepard are leopards+cats.

But of course, how dare both Nature and Pokemon have a variety of the same species. ._.

Electrode is my favorite Pokemon of all time, but he is as boring as hell design-wise. I can see that, and accept it. ALL generations had boring or "weakly-designed" Pokemon, but they only improved after Gen II. Just look at them for designs and you'll see.

AHEM. On-topic post commences now.

The only things I'm disappointed with in BW is the lack of rematches. D8 I hated going back to the E4 for leveling-up in Emerald, so now I just hack wild Audino at a proper level for the Pokemon I'm training to get some leveling done. OTL Raising Pokemon shouldn't have to be THIS tedious!

Let's see...Oh yes, Alomomola NOT being a Luvdisc evo. >: I love Luvdisc, and was hoping to see the little guy become unhated by the terribly shallow fanbase. But alas, it was not meant to be. That's all.

I have the impression that the walking Pokemon feature is excluded because of the way the battles look. It moves in 3D, so it would be awkward to see how the Pokemon will be introduced in battle with the partner feature. Unlike in HeartGold and SoulSilver, the screen is stagnant, so thy can just move the sprite from the side of the screen. It would be interesting to see if the third version will introduce the feature, though.

Thanks for reading.

I have the impression that the walking Pokemon feature is excluded because of the way the battles look. It moves in 3D, so it would be awkward to see how the Pokemon will be introduced in battle with the partner feature. Unlike in HeartGold and SoulSilver, the screen is stagnant, so thy can just move the sprite from the side of the screen. It would be interesting to see if the third version will introduce the feature, though.

Thanks for reading.

We had Musharna's overworld sprite move sideways and we had plenty of OW sprites of some Gen V Pokemon. So i hope they do include Pokemon walking behind feature.

I don’t like that the auto run and the interface of the touch screen from HGSS aren’t in BW.

I miss the Walking Pokemon feature.

The Safari Zone is ass, I'm glad it got omitted. The marsh in Pastoria was 100 times worse.

I hope it's the last we see of the safari zone, to be honest. Walking around a nature reserve looking for rare pokemon is a cool idea. But the fact that they could flee at any moment and you couldn't weaken them made it more annoying than fun.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom