• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

o.o It really happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
May sounds nothing like Jessie, wtf are you talking about?

And Ash voice really improves about 7 episodes into the BF season.

Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon is a bad analogy anyway. The original airing was horrendous to hear for anyone that saw it. When they recasted the voices, it wasn't much better, but it was better. This was because they were not used to the roles yet. Even a lot of the doubters at the beginning of Battle Frontier have said that they do the voices a lot better now, although they generally agree Ash's VA took a long time to settle into the role. If anyone has just got into the anime at Battle Frontier, I don't know what they think.

Now that Battle Frontier is close to its end, I decided to make a final analysis. It's still an issue, but only because some people decided to make it an issue. I don't think we are ever going to hear the end of this, but I could care less by now. I have always been ok with the voices ever since they were recast. My only beef is with some minor characters, which I have become used to by now. That probably makes anything I say invalid to the ones that want to point that out. The thing is I don't know how this got so blown out of proportion in the first place. I guess Mastermind really set off the alarm, but they made up for that. I know a lot of people will contest that, but that is how I feel. I don't understand it, and I don't want to understand it. It is time at last to say let's agree to disagree, and I shall meet my fellow anime watchers in Diamond and Pearl.

I think they have done well with the recurring characters as well.

I really liked Drew and Harley's voices, Butch and Cassidy sounded really nice as well. Joy and Jenny sound fine, and Oak now sounds almost the same as the 4kids one.

The only voice I didn't like that much was Caroline's, but we only saw her for less than a minute in the GF so it doesn't really matter.

Let's see how Delia and Giovanni sound now...they're the last ones remaining.

Um, may I ask why this thread was bumped up from like about nine months ago?

Charmander to the rescue has nowhere else to vent, it seems.

Ash still sounds like someone shredded his throat with a razor, and there's still a ways to go for James and Meowth, but the rest have settled in nicely.

James I think could be helped majorly if Zoppi was replaced in the role by Bill Rogers... after I learned Bill was the voice of Tucker, I realized he could do James so much better than Zoppi (a more Ted Lewis-ish version, but I hate to say it... I liked Ted Lewis the best of all three James voices now that I've heard him again) Oddly enough, if that happened Bill would be voicing Brock and James together... just like Eric Stuart was o_O

Zoppi's still doing a better job than Stuart was at the end of Hoenn.

Zoppi's still doing a better job than Stuart was at the end of Hoenn.

I agree, which is why I fell in love with Ted Lewis's James so easily when I started watching the Season 1 DVDs...

Yes!

Thank you so much for bumping this thread, Charmander to the rescue! ^_^

Having nowhere to talk about the new voices or the new VAs, I've had to go off topic on the episode review threads lately (and I really hate doing that, since it's disrespectful to the mods and everyone else who's tired of the VA debate).

And Ash voice really improves about 7 episodes into the BF season.
No, not in my opinion.

That early into the Battle Frontier season, Ash's voice still sounded very similar to the one in the Mastermind redub.

Ash still sounds like someone shredded his throat with a razor, and there's still a ways to go for James and Meowth, but the rest have settled in nicely.
I completely agree with you, Butler.

That's exactly what I think about Ash.

And I agree with you about James and Meowth, and the other characters as well. I think James and Meowth's voice could be much better. They need improvement, along with Ash's voice. But as for the other characters, they're just fine.

It's time for an objective opinion (I watch the Israeli dub, I'm used to characters' voices changing every other season):

The new voice actors are fine. Sure, Brock's voice kind of throws me off at times (is it supposed to sound this scratchy?) and I do miss Maddie's Meowth (if I have to pick my favorite from the old dub, she would be it), but otherwise? The main characters all sound perfectly fine. They got into their characters very quickly and are doing a great job. I have to applaud Michelle Knotz, for both her May and Jessie are excellent, and I have nothing but good things to say about Zoppi. His Meowth is very Meowth-y (it will never be as good as Maddie's, but you know, Meowth had a very special and awesome voice, it's hard to compare), and his James... you know, someone described him as sounding like he has a cold all the time. If that's true, then I'm glad to announce that I LOVE James-with-a-cold. Really, it's my favorite English dub James voice. Honestly, I haven't felt such an urge to hug dub James in ages, and it was all because of Eric Stuart's voice. I feel the love again!

About Sarah, though... her voice is perfectly okay. She sounds more like an adolescent boy than Veronica did. Her problem is that she's not a terribly good voice actress just yet. She can learn, though. I'm sure that by season 10, she'll be okay.

That was my objective opinion. You may disagree, since it's an opinion. But it's objective, since I watch the English dub once in a blue baboon and other than my love for Maddie and the general hatred of Eric Stuart (which also stems from his work on Yu-Gi-Oh and other dubs), I'm incredibly neutral to it.

OMG! I think my very first post at BMGf is at the top of page 2 as Unregistered!

On second thought, scratch that. I think I debated Damian about the Pokemon World government earlier. That thread in the Pokemon World forum is so old it isn't even there anymore.

Oh well, it's nostalgic!

Last edited:
About Sarah, though... her voice is perfectly okay. She sounds more like an adolescent boy than Veronica did. Her problem is that she's not a terribly good voice actress just yet. She can learn, though. I'm sure that by season 10, she'll be okay.
But not being a terribly good voice actress yet is the key problem! She has the potential to improve (Gathering the Gang of Four was very promising) but that doesn't change how bad some of it has been while we wait for her to improve.

I also don't see much difference in Ash's voice between Fear Factor Phony and On Olden Pond, as Scott suggests, but they also weren't the first BF episodes I saw. I think the time to get used to the voices definately plays a factor in impressions there. There is also the fact that her quality deviates rather than being the constant improvement some people suggest. (She was certainly worse in Wheel...of Frontier than those episodes but episode 4 isn't really much of a starting point. Personally, I think her worst episodes so far were between Slaking Kong and Aipom & Circumstance.)

I think her Ash has been fine for a while now. I really liked Ash's voice in the Sceptile arc when he lost all his moves, Ash really sounded like he cared to help Sceptile get better.

Good performances in the Anabel eps and the later ones too.

Ash's voice was definitely the most different from his old one than any of the others, and at the start the acting was completely flat, but a handful of episodes in and she's already much better.

I don't see the D/P saga acting being much different than it is now, PUSA does dub the episodes very fast so it wouldn't surprise me if they went on to dubbing D/P as soon as BF ended.

But not being a terribly good voice actress yet is the key problem! She has the potential to improve (Gathering the Gang of Four was very promising) but that doesn't change how bad some of it has been while we wait for her to improve.

I never said it was a good idea to throw a newbie VA into such a high-profile role first thing off. =P At least her voice is good, and from comparing her work in Sweet Baby James to her work in Gathering the Gang of Four, I can hear that she improved some.

I don't know why people still repeating Ash sounding like an adolescent is good. I disagree. Ash is a 10 year old boy and Pokémon is ageless anime. So Ash sounding like teenager is out of his character and definately the worst thing which can happened to him.

I've thought Veronica's Ash didn't sound like a boy at all since Johto. ^^; I'm okay with new!Ash, even if her acting isn't all that good...

Veronica's Ash never, ever sounded like a boy. He sounded like a grown woman trying to sound like a boy, and in this regard, I've heard better.

peno, I disagree with you in so many ways. But I don't want to talk about it.

Even in the really deep early episodes?

Ash has always sounded like a boy. Under all three voice actresses. I honestly don't see see where the girly claims are coming from.

For a Ten Year Old, he sounds deeper then most kids that age.

Where I live, young male characters in cartoons are often dubbed by boys ages 10 and up, so I hear how boys that age sound like every day. Sarah sounds much, much closer to a real boy of the 10-12 range than Veronica. Can't say about... um... you know, whatsherface from the original Mastermind. I never watched that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom